Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu?

Sup misc,

Im thinking of learning a fighting style, do not know which one i should choose. Currently in High school if it helps. Which one have you guys done or suggest? Explain your answer

fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000) fuuaarrkk is just really nice. (+1000)
    ive done jiu jitsu and i dont recommend it and from my understanding muay thai is alot more aggressive. Muay Thai>Jiu Jitsu

guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For what?

If its for 'self defense' I.e. kicking the phuck out of someone! Lol. mauy Thai, not just striking but clinch/dirty boxing included in mauy Thai will be what you're looking for.

In an ideal world find a club that does both, again if its for self defense include a bit of grappling and jiu jitsu, not because your going to be doing armbars in a street fight but if you do find yourself on the ground use your grappling to get back up.

speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ive done both.
    I suggest you do both if you are looking to learn how to do MMA as a sport.

If you are looking for strictly self defense, Muay Thai is a better bet.

Pros and Cons.

BJJ u need a partner most of the time to practice

Muay Thai you can practice yourself

BJJ is realyl fun rolling around.

Muay Thai is kinda boring and sparring with uneducated *******s hurts... if you spar with an experienced person, they can beat you up with 30% strength meaning they dont even hit that hard but they hit you and land it all the time.

edit: do both.
    NGU

BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I did muay thai and loved it.
    Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168292533&p=1378041213#post1378041213
    ---
    ☢☢☢☢ Tall Guy Crew ☢☢☢☢
    ☆☆☆MISC INK CREW☆☆☆

1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by speX94 View Post
    ive done both.
    I suggest you do both if you are looking to learn how to do MMA as a sport.

If you are looking for strictly self defense, Muay Thai is a better bet.

Pros and Cons.

BJJ u need a partner most of the time to practice

Muay Thai you can practice yourself

BJJ is realyl fun rolling around.

Muay Thai is kinda boring and sparring with uneducated *******s hurts... if you spar with an experienced person, they can beat you up with 30% strength meaning they dont even hit that hard but they hit you and land it all the time.

edit: do both.
    Here is the school i am thninking of using, http://jgmma.com/schedule

If i can do both for a reasonable price and have the time along with lifting i will. Muay thai is for stand up fighting, right? Elbows, kicks etc. Jiu Jitsu is for ground kind of like wrestling?

BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 1ntensityrules View Post
    Here is the school i am thninking of using, http://jgmma.com/schedule

If i can do both for a reasonable price and have the time along with lifting i will. Muay thai is for stand up fighting, right? Elbows, kicks etc. Jiu Jitsu is for ground kind of like wrestling?
    Yes, muay thai is kicks/punches/knees/elbows/clinches. Jiu Jitsu teaches locks/submissions; similar to wrestling but it's less about getting your opponent to the ground and more about being able to target any part of their body and use it against them and contorting it.
    Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168292533&p=1378041213#post1378041213
    ---
    ☢☢☢☢ Tall Guy Crew ☢☢☢☢
    ☆☆☆MISC INK CREW☆☆☆

Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000) Cippi21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do Krav and we learn variations of both. If you're choosing between the two I'm going to say the same as everyone else, go for Muay Thai. Much more practical for everyday use haha.
    ♛ PUNK AESTHETICS CREW™ ♛

Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000) Frosty073 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is a ridiculous comparison. They're both totally different OP.

I've trained both for about 2 years. I find BJJ to be more fun but I have a penchant for grappling. It's also more real life applicable IMO, in a street fight if you have the knowledge to get a guy on the ground and control him you are at a huge advantage and I believe it is safer than striking in a street fight. This is only my opinion.

BJJ the learning curve is steep, your skills will improve rapidly. Mine did, at least. Muay Thai for me was harder to get the hang of but once I did I got better fast.

Sparring, or rolling in BJJ, sucks at first. You'll mostly practice with people better than you and get annihilated, so I recommend doing it with a friend. Rolling/sparring with very experiences practitioners, you'll feel like everything is impossible and you can't do anything right. It's purely because they are far more experienced in every possible situation and they already know every skill you have. But as you get better it becomes easier, you learn your game, you learn what works and what doesn't and you find the holes faster and then you work on them. Then, when you roll/spar with better guys, you have more resistance and you get a better idea of what you are good at and what you aren't.

The issue is that rolling/sparring with newbies sucks.In BJJ, I've copped a lot of feet, elbows, headbutts etc. in the face and head, and I'd say 95% come from people who don't know WTF they're doing. In Muay Thai they tend to throw annoying haymakers. Your coach might regulate who you spar with so they are in your sort of skill bracket but mine didn't much. The good thing he did though was impose a 6 month bag/pad work limit before sparring. Helped me out.

I have a ****load more to write but I don't wana give you a wall of peace. PM me if you have any questions brah.

quickly: they're both beautiful, complex martial arts. If you're interested in the martial arts I'm sure you'll like either. I've been training martial arts for 10 years now. Not much competition experience though

madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500) madsmith is not very helpful. (-500)
    See if they will let you take a sample class of each and pick the one you like the most.

speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) speX94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    most gyms let you have a week to tryout classes and stuff
    NGU

idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    jiu jitsu jiu jitsu jiu jitsu jiu jitsu

won that fight agaisnt bob sapp who is like 300 pounds of pure muscle with jiu jitsu
    Deadlift - 225x12

Bench Press - 155x8

Squat - 225x4

Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm actually new here, but i thought teen misc would be an awesome place to look through.
    I trained both BJJ and Muay Thai for about a year and 6 months and I loved both.
    If I had to reccomend one i would reccomend Muay Thai, The training will completely destroy your body (in a good way), and you will learn one of the most dominant striking styles in all of mixed martial arts.

If you have the choice, i'd say learn both though, because while muay thai has a really aggresive / defensive stand up game if someone takes you down you are pretty much ****ed, but when you have a ground game and stand up game you have much more chance of winning a fight.

I don't really know if you are doing this to compete, for self defense, or to act like a hardass in school or w/e, but when it comes down to it, taking a fighting class is awesome for a workout and self defense. If you have both Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu and you learn both you will really have a strong fighting style, as your stand up game can be mixed up and if you get taken to the ground you learn submissions, counters, and reversals from every position and you really don't have much of a weakness. You can actually find alot of gyms that train more than one style in an MMA type training style and its usually 1-2 hours a day.

If you are really serious about fighting i'd call around different places in your area and look up reviews online. See how well the students there do in competitions and see if the trainers are reputable. It can be expensive, but it is totally worth it. but it is alot of hard work.
    I

Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haroldoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, if you are still in high school try taking up wrestling. Wrestling is an AMAZING style to learn when it comes to take downs and getting into dominant positions, and it is also free at school, and you can get scholarships for college. Of course you have to buy gear for all of these, but to start off it is nice to have a 1-up knowing a style that isnt taught, as you can use it when rolling with an opponent and since they havent been taught it, they wont know how to counter as easily

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by idkwhattoput View Post
    jiu jitsu jiu jitsu jiu jitsu jiu jitsu

won that fight agaisnt bob sapp who is like 300 pounds of pure muscle with jiu jitsu
    0:26 LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLZZZ

I think they are both good. Probably muay thai. More aggressive.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Originally Posted by Haroldoob View Post
    Also, if you are still in high school try taking up wrestling. Wrestling is an AMAZING style to learn when it comes to take downs and getting into dominant positions, and it is also free at school, and you can get scholarships for college. Of course you have to buy gear for all of these, but to start off it is nice to have a 1-up knowing a style that isnt taught, as you can use it when rolling with an opponent and since they havent been taught it, they wont know how to counter as easily
    Not free at my school lol 250 dollars. I will email the instructors, and ask them which one they suggest and what not. Although muay thai is more agressive, jiu jitsu is good for ground where most fights end up. Lol Hard decsion

Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Darknightbegins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do wrestling if you are in high school. Otherwise just pick one *******. They are too different to suggest one over the other.

Although muay thai is more agressive, jiu jitsu is good for ground where most fights end up. Lol Hard decsion.
    Yeah man exactly, I mean where i'm from alot of street fights if someone gets taken to the ground they split it back up and make them stand up, but that's in a bad part of town. But if you are interested/leaning towards jiu jitsu, you could try sport jiu jitsu, it incorperates stand up and ground game, and is very fun. the striking isn't as good as muay thai, but atleast you have SOME stand up.

Good luck to whatever you do, it is amazing and you learn alot of respect also. My trainer would **** me up if i was ever disrespectful to him, other students/trainers, or my family. you learn amazing discipline also.

Yeah man exactly, I mean where i'm from alot of street fights if someone gets taken to the ground they split it back up and make them stand up, but that's in a bad part of town. But if you are interested/leaning towards jiu jitsu, you could try sport jiu jitsu, it incorperates stand up and ground game, and is very fun. the striking isn't as good as muay thai, but atleast you have SOME stand up.

Good luck to whatever you do, it is amazing and you learn alot of respect also. My trainer would **** me up if i was ever disrespectful to him, other students/trainers, or my family. you learn amazing discipline also.
    Feel free to post videos and/or anything else related to this I also do not want to lose muscle mass with training

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

bobs conditioning just sucked.

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
    bobs conditioning just sucked.
    He seemed to be lacking the cardiovascular endurance in the fight, i agree

idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50) idkwhattoput will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He seemed to be lacking the cardiovascular endurance in the fight, i agree
    that may be true but bob was like 3x as big as minotauro and probaly 3x as strong too
    getting someone in an armbar that can literally bicep curl you is pure jiu jitsu technique
    no need to know how to hit someone with a flying knee when you can take it to the ground and do 5x as much damage
    Deadlift - 225x12

Bench Press - 155x8

Squat - 225x4

that may be true but bob was like 3x as big as minotauro and probaly 3x as strong too
    getting someone in an armbar that can literally bicep curl you is pure jiu jitsu technique
    no need to know how to hit someone with a flying knee when you can take it to the ground and do 5x as much damage
    Damn, that turned me towards jiu jitsu. Thinking about taking on bigger opponents and having an advantage. hmmm....Any arguement for Muay Thai to beat out the comment by idkwhatttoput?

Well one thing with Muay thai/jiu jitsu is alot of the training takes alot of endurance/cardio. Trust me, you may workout for 30 mins to and hour, but 3 minutes it the ring is COMPLETELY different. don't underestimate how hard it is to go 3x3minute rounds, its killer dude. And if you are looking for videos, try /watch?v=Mc5GwMXKiPk for sport jiu jitsu, /watch?v=vsvPmsKBAYk traditional muay thai, /watch?v=Guk3fuzZ5aA brazilian jiu jitsu,
    Now with jiu jitsu if you go to competition there is Gi and no Gi fights. Gi is the long sleeves/pants that you see in karate/BJJ, etc. if you google gi you'll know what i'm talking about.

The thing is with Gi there is things that you can do like chokes and transitions using the opponents Gi against them, but without Gi you can't. Some people like Gi and some people don't. it's all preference.

haha i could show you one guy who would completely make you want to do jiu jitsu, Look up Royce Gracie. his ju jitsu is FLAWLESS. he was 51-1 at one point. jiu jitsu is amazing man. But don't get me wrong, in competition they are two different fighting styles - muay thai and jiu jitsu, but if you want to maybe become an ametuer fighter, you really need to learn more than one style. it gives you such an upperhand in fights

/watch?feature=fvwp&v=sJuQP0hO6s4&NR=1

You said you wanted to take down bigger opponents, that's gracie vs I think an ex sumo wrestler. 100+ pound difference
    Last edited by Haroldoob; 11-06-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Adding clip of royce gracie

Well one thing with Muay thai/jiu jitsu is alot of the training takes alot of endurance/cardio. Trust me, you may workout for 30 mins to and hour, but 3 minutes it the ring is COMPLETELY different. don't underestimate how hard it is to go 3x3minute rounds, its killer dude. And if you are looking for videos, try /watch?v=Mc5GwMXKiPk for sport jiu jitsu, /watch?v=vsvPmsKBAYk traditional muay thai, /watch?v=Guk3fuzZ5aA brazilian jiu jitsu,
    Now with jiu jitsu if you go to competition there is Gi and no Gi fights. Gi is the long sleeves/pants that you see in karate/BJJ, etc. if you google gi you'll know what i'm talking about.

The thing is with Gi there is things that you can do like chokes and transitions using the opponents Gi against them, but without Gi you can't. Some people like Gi and some people don't. it's all preference.
    so there is sport and bjj?

Yep, type youtube dot com before those videos, those show the types of styles that i mentioned.

Also, i may look in to trying both, but jiu jitsu does it do any stand up fighting? So i can hold my own in a fight?

What is "street" jiu jitsu?

yeah, i had a friend who was like 20 something that i used to train with and he was on a soccer team like a well known one and hed have to run for miles and miles for soccer training. he got on the mat and he couldnt even roll for more than 3 minutes without wanting to throw up. its tough it really beats you up sometimes
    theres gi and no gi yes, i prefer gi since its much more fun and more fluent imo. most people that do nogi are super agressive and its also very slippery since youre so sweaty. you have to make sure you find a good gym though, one i would recommend in GRACIE BARRA, best around. they have like a curriculum that all schools follow so if you leave the city and go to another city when theres a gracie barra school, youll be learning the same thing as you were in your own school. bad gyms are full of people with humongous egos that only want to win and dont appreciate the sport, like most american top team gyms. also theres bad instructors who just go on youtube and think they can teach jiu jitsu after watching a couple of vids...
    Also, i may look in to trying both, but jiu jitsu does it do any stand up fighting? So i can hold my own in a fight?
    no jiu jitsu doesnt do stand up, its all on the ground and grappling. they may teach you some judo which is just takedowns. judo is AMAZING for takedowns, and if you know how to take someone down, you can do just about anything with jiu jitsu on the ground. in a fight most people dont even know how to throw a punch, they just swing their arms around like dumbasses hoping to get a hit. so just as soon as you get in a fight take them down mount them and beat the crap out of them or get them in an armbar or something.
    or the best choice is to walk away from it
    What is "street" jiu jitsu?
    never heard of it
    Deadlift - 225x12

Bench Press - 155x8

Squat - 225x4