mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Discomfort/pain in my left wrist when releasing grippers

I use grippers and this is a new issue I have been experiencing only for a few days so far. On my left hand, when I use the grippers, during the release, I experience a pain or discomfort in the wrist. This pain is located, when you look at the palm, on the right side of the wrist, under the pinky. it stops right after I release though

A few important informations generally about my hands/forearms: I have muscle imbalances in both forearms. The muscles that open the hands up are weaker than the ones that close it (when my arms are hanging by my side, my fingers are as though i were holding a pen (thumb and forefinger touch)). On my left hand, my fingers are frozen in the WASD/Shift position that I used when playing computer games as well (not sure if it matters). also, recently I've been trying to train the muscles that open my hand by doing it against the resistance of rubber bands.

Question: What can i do to alleviate this pain/discomfort?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mauledbyabear View Post
    I use grippers and this is a new issue I have been experiencing only for a few days so far. On my left hand, when I use the grippers, during the release, I experience a pain or discomfort in the wrist. This pain is located, when you look at the palm, on the right side of the wrist, under the pinky. it stops right after I release though

A few important informations generally about my hands/forearms: I have muscle imbalances in both forearms. The muscles that open the hands up are weaker than the ones that close it (when my arms are hanging by my side, my fingers are as though i were holding a pen (thumb and forefinger touch)). On my left hand, my fingers are frozen in the WASD/Shift position that I used when playing computer games as well (not sure if it matters). also, recently I've been trying to train the muscles that open my hand by doing it against the resistance of rubber bands.

Question: What can i do to alleviate this pain/discomfort?
    Probe your forearm extensors and flexors for trigger points. Given the location of the pain, it'll probably be somewhere up the forearm from the pinky side of the hand. When you find a spot that's hurts when you press on it, use a LaCrosse ball (or use your fingers) to massage it out. Repeat that massage several times per day until you can no longer find the tender spot. Look at this post for massage guidelines.

I have had a similar pain in my wrist that was helped by trigger point massage. Mine was more on the back of the wrist, but still on the pinky side. Massaging the extensors on that side of the forearm fixed the problem for me.

Given your description of the problem, I would guess that you'll find a trigger point in your forearm flexors.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000) mauledbyabear is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Thanks for your input. How do I identify a trigger point? Could it also be in my hand? Been poking my flexors but I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary. The other side of the forearms (brachioradialis, maybe extensors) is more sensitive to the touch, but I looked up trigger points but haven't quite gotten how I check for them

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for your input. How do I identify a trigger point? Could it also be in my hand? Been poking my flexors but I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary. The other side of the forearms (brachioradialis, maybe extensors) is more sensitive to the touch, but I looked up trigger points but haven't quite gotten how I check for them
    Given the location of your pain, the most likely candidates are the Flexor Carpi Ulnaris and the Extensor Carpi Ulnaris.

There are muscles of the hand which, if they have trigger points, can refer pain into the wrist area. One of them is the Opponens Pollicis, but the referred pain pattern is more towards the thumb side of the wrist and into the thumb itself.

You locate trigger points for an area where you're feeling pain by first consulting a guide or map which lists the muscles that, if they have trigger points, might refer pain to they area where you are, in fact, feeling pain. You then start massaging that area either with your fingers or a massage tool. You'll be able to feel some really bad trigger points with your fingers as there will be an obvious knot in the muscle. But in many cases, perhaps even most cases, you won't be able to feel them with your fingers. In those instances, you'll have to rely on your pain receptors in and around the muscle itself to guide you. Do a short firm stroke of the muscle at various points. If you find a spot that hurts when you press on it, it's probably a trigger point.

When I worked on my forearm extensors for the wrist pain that I was feeling, there was a very specific spot where I felt pain when I pressed on them. I found it by rolling a LaCrosse ball back and forth along my forearm over various parts around the circumference of the forearm until I found the spot which was painful. It was really painful when I pressed hard on it, but I didn't know it was there until I went looking for it. Anyway, once I found it, I massaged that area several times each day until I was no longer able to find it.

Here are two (free) online sites that might help you to locate trigger points:

http://www.triggerpointproducts.com/checkyoursymptoms

http://triggerpointmaps.com/tp_finder.html

I was pretty excited when I first learned about these sites, but after trying to use them, I find them to be considerably less useful than this book:

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, by Clair Davies

At the beginning of each chapter covering particular areas of the body is a list of areas where you may feel pain. For each of those areas, there is a list of muscles which can refer pain to that area. In your case, the area is "Inner Wrist and Palm Pain". For that area, it lists the following muscles: opponens pollicis, flexors, palmaris longus, pronators, pectoralis major, pectoralis minor, lattissimus dorsi, serratus anterior. Page numbers which describe each of these muscles are also provided in that list. They are ranked by the likelihood of causing pain in that area; it's usually best to start with the first muscle in the list and work your way down. Descriptions for each muscle include diagrams showing approximate trigger point location and referred pain patterns. The text contains a brief overview of the muscle, a description of the (referred) pain symptoms, the possible causes of trigger points in that muscle, and treatment strategies. One or more anecdotes are sometimes also included.

that's a lot of info, have to take all of it in. thanks for taking so much time to answer my questions.
    now i have to say a lot of muscles hurt when i push on them. not in my lower body, though. i think it's because of my sedentary lifestyle, some muscles are atrophied ( so says Dr.) and if I press on those, it's quite painful. especially around the serratus, but also in some other places. are those trigger points or am i just in pain because i'm pressing on the bone?i'm wondering also because on my forearm there is one place that hurts a little more when i press it,but i am also pressing inbetween the bones, so that might make it worse.

some muscles are atrophied ( so says Dr.) and if I press on those, it's quite painful. especially around the serratus, but also in some other places. are those trigger points or am i just in pain because i'm pressing on the bone?
    Probably trigger points, but I can't be sure because I don't know exactly where you're pressing. Try pressing on the bone between the knuckles on one of your fingers on the back of your hand. (Stay away from the joints.) You're pretty much pressing on skin and bone at that point. Does it hurt in the same way as it hurts elsewhere? (I'm guessing that it doesn't hurt at all when you press on the finger bone...)

i'm wondering also because on my forearm there is one place that hurts a little more when i press it,but i am also pressing inbetween the bones, so that might make it worse.
    Work on that spot for a bit and then try the gripper out.

The cool thing about trigger point therapy is that you can sometimes see almost immediate results. When I'm doing trap bar deadlifts and my low back is feeling a bit sore after a set, I'll work on the gluteal medius for a few moments. Fixes it right away. Also, when I was having that wrist problem, my wrist was in so much pain that I was unable to pick up a kettlebell to do my planned kettlebell workout. Much to my surprise and delight, I was pain free after working on the trigger point for a short period of time. I was then able to pick up the kettlebell and get on with the workout. It's not always immediate though. I have some problems with my foot and ankle that take a while to work on. I have an old injury though (shattered heel) and I'm sure that's not helping any.

I found a spot on my forearm earlier, if I push down on it, it pops a little. it's not far under the spot in my wrist. i feel it slightly in the wrist after. I will keep rubbing it firmly, and i'll tell you if i get good results.
    About the hands, you're right. between the knuckles it's not painful, when i go lower, it is a little bit more painful though

i'll see if i can use the trigger point massage on some of my lower back issues as well. can be a little painful down there.

i'll see if i can use the trigger point massage on some of my lower back issues as well. can be a little painful down there.
    If you don't have it yet, that book that I mentioned earlier is a great resource for figuring this stuff out.

It helps to have some massage tools for working on the back. I took photos of a few of them and posted them to the equipment forum a while back. See: Thera Cane / Body Back Buddy Comparison.

Would you say that I found the right spot? The one that I described, that is. It feels different from the same spot on the other side.
    Thanks for the link, again. could definitely use something like that.

Would you say that I found the right spot? The one that I described, that is. It feels different from the same spot on the other side.
    This spot...

I found a spot on my forearm earlier, if I push down on it, it pops a little. it's not far under the spot in my wrist. i feel it slightly in the wrist after.
    ...right?

Sounds like that might be it. What do you mean by "pops a little"? Can you be more specific about the location?

This spot...
    Sounds like that might be it. What do you mean by "pops a little"? Can you be more specific about the location?
    Yeah, that's the spot I meant. I marked the spot on here:

I was being very vague, sorry. It's hard to describe the 'pop'. When I rub firmly, I begin by pressing down and holding the muscle down with my thumb. Then I keep holding it down and rub. As I push it to the side, it gets to a point where it simply snaps back into place, I think, hence the 'pop'. I'm not really certain what's going on, but something is snapping back into place and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as tangible on the other forearm.

Edit: You mentioned it could be like a knot in the muscle? That could be what is being pushed around between other muscles and 'popping' out from inbetween two muscles. That's what it kind of feels like

Yeah, that's the spot I meant. I marked the spot on here:

I was being very vague, sorry. It's hard to describe the 'pop'. When I rub firmly, I begin by pressing down and holding the muscle down with my thumb. Then I keep holding it down and rub. As I push it to the side, it gets to a point where it simply snaps back into place, I think, hence the 'pop'. I'm not really certain what's going on, but something is snapping back into place and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as tangible on the other forearm.

Edit: You mentioned it could be like a knot in the muscle? That could be what is being pushed around between other muscles and 'popping' out from inbetween two muscles. That's what it kind of feels like
    Good picture and description.

Yes, trigger points cause the muscle in question to be tight / taut. As a result, sometimes when you work on it, it'll slide (or even pop) from one side or the other as you try to work on it.

Does it hurt when you press on it?

Trigger points will also sometimes actively refer pain to another location (such as your wrist) when you press on them. Something that you mentioned earlier suggested that this might be happening. Is it? (Or was it?)

Does your wrist feel better after massaging that area of your forearm?

Good picture and description.

Yes, trigger points cause the muscle in question to be tight / taut. As a result, sometimes when you work on it, it'll slide (or even pop) from one side or the other as you try to work on it.

Does it hurt when you press on it?

Trigger points will also sometimes actively refer pain to another location (such as your wrist) when you press on them. Something that you mentioned earlier suggested that this might be happening. Is it? (Or was it?)

Does your wrist feel better after massaging that area of your forearm?
    It hurts when I press on it and it also causes a pain in my hand muscles in the palm. don't feel much in the wrist at the moment when relaxed.
    After I grip, during the release, it is still painful. but maybe slightly less so. I guess this might take a little longer than a day.

After I grip, during the release, it is still painful. but maybe slightly less so. I guess this might take a little longer than a day.
    Yes, it can definitely take longer than a day.

Keep looking for other trigger points too. Also, there are other possibilities beyond the forearm flexors and extensors.

Yes, it can definitely take longer than a day.

Keep looking for other trigger points too. Also, there are other possibilities beyond the forearm flexors and extensors.
    I think I'm starting to see a small improvement. Should I keep my search strictly on the forearms for this issue or should I try out the upper arms as well? A couple of other forearm muscles have some trigger point properties as well, not sure if they are though. Painful to push and they pop a little as well.

I think I'm starting to see a small improvement. Should I keep my search strictly on the forearms for this issue or should I try out the upper arms as well? A couple of other forearm muscles have some trigger point properties as well, not sure if they are though. Painful to push and they pop a little as well.
    Anytime I find a trigger point on myself, I work on it. It may not be actively referring pain now, but it could at any time. Plus they unnecessarily keep the muscle under tension which puts additional stress on tendons and joints.

That said, I doubt that working on trigger points in your upper arm will help much with your wrist issue. According to, TTPTW, the prime candidates for Inner Wrist and Palm Pain are:
    • opponens pollicis
    • flexors
    • palmaris longus
    • pronators
    • pectoralis major
    • pectoralis minor
    • latissimus dorsi
    • serratus anterior

Anytime I find a trigger point on myself, I work on it. It may not be actively referring pain now, but it could at any time. Plus they unnecessarily keep the muscle under tension which puts additional stress on tendons and joints.

That said, I doubt that working on trigger points in your upper arm will help much with your wrist issue. According to, TTPTW, the prime candidates for Inner Wrist and Palm Pain are:
    • opponens pollicis
    • flexors
    • palmaris longus
    • pronators
    • pectoralis major
    • pectoralis minor
    • latissimus dorsi
    • serratus anterior
    About the larger muscles, the pectoralis, latissimus and serratus, how do you check them for trigger points? along the entire muscle, basically, poking hurts, lying down on them hurts etc. no popping though.

About the larger muscles, the pectoralis, latissimus and serratus, how do you check them for trigger points? along the entire muscle, basically, poking hurts, lying down on them hurts etc. no popping though.
    As I understand it, trigger points are found in the muscle bellies. However, the orientation of fibers in the muscle may mean that the muscle belly is not necessarily in the middle of the muscle. (Figure 2.2 in TTPTW is a very good illustration of the various possibilities.) Also, for very large muscles like the pecs and the lats, you'll find them in multiple locations.

You basically have it right though, feel around, pressing hard and see what hurts. There won't always be a popping sensation associated with a trigger point. If you press on a trigger point, you will sometimes feel pain from some other location in addition to a tenderness at the site of the trigger point. E.g. when working on my upper back, I sometimes feel pains in my neck and head. These are transitory; you shouldn't feel those pains in other locations after the massage is done. I've found, however, that trigger point massage will create lingering soreness in the area being massaged.

You can significantly narrow your search with a resource like TTPTW. It shows trigger point locations and referred pain patterns.

You basically have it right though, feel around, pressing hard and see what hurts. There won't always be a popping sensation associated with a trigger point. If you press on a trigger point, you will sometimes feel pain from some other location in addition to a tenderness at the site of the trigger point. E.g. when working on my upper back, I sometimes feel pains in my neck and head. These are transitory; you shouldn't feel those pains in other locations after the massage is done. I've found, however, that trigger point massage will create lingering soreness in the area being massaged.

You can significantly narrow your search with a resource like TTPTW. It shows trigger point locations and referred pain patterns.
    I always thought that the pain I get when I press down on my serratus or chest etc was because of the atrophy(I can stick my fingers between my ribs to some extent through all these muscles). It usually lasts after I stop pressing as well. Don't know about any referred pain from these muscles. And some of it might also be from tightness/muscular imbalances. I'll keep trigger points in mind, though, as I progress. First time I ever hear of it, although I've felt the 'pop' in my calves as well.

Edit: I 'mistook' the referred pain and the 'pop' in my calves for nerve damage. I should reconsider, especially because my calves work just fine.

I 'mistook' the referred pain and the 'pop' in my calves for nerve damage. I should reconsider, especially because my calves work just fine.
    I've been working a lot on my calf muscles lately. I shattered my right heel nearly twenty years ago and I've had a lot of pain in my foot and lower leg since that time. I developed plantar fasciitis in that foot last year - actually, I've probably had it for quite a while - but it got really bad last year to the point where I had trouble putting weight on that foot in the morning when getting out of bed. Trigger point therapy has helped a lot with the foot and heel pain that I'd been having.

I also had pain on the outside of the ankle. I had always thought that this was due to damage to the joint and that there was nothing that I could do about it. However, I recently found that massage of the various Peroneus muscles has helped to relieve pain in that area too. This is still a work in progress. I've been doing longish hikes which strain those muscles causing the trigger points to return. I've noticed too than when my ankle starts to hurt during a hike, I'm able to reach down and do a brief massage to make walking somewhat easier again.

Given my experiences, I would set aside any assumption that the pain that you're feeling is nerve damage.

I've been working a lot on my calf muscles lately. I shattered my right heel nearly twenty years ago and I've had a lot of pain in my foot and lower leg since that time. I developed plantar fasciitis in that foot last year - actually, I've probably had it for quite a while - but it got really bad last year to the point where I had trouble putting weight on that foot in the morning when getting out of bed. Trigger point therapy has helped a lot with the foot and heel pain that I'd been having.

I also had pain on the outside of the ankle. I had always thought that this was due to damage to the joint and that there was nothing that I could do about it. However, I recently found that massage of the various Peroneus muscles has helped to relieve pain in that area too. This is still a work in progress. I've been doing longish hikes which strain those muscles causing the trigger points to return. I've noticed too than when my ankle starts to hurt during a hike, I'm able to reach down and do a brief massage to make walking somewhat easier again.

Given my experiences, I would set aside any assumption that the pain that you're feeling is nerve damage.
    Yeah, I'm now pretty certain I don't have nerve damage. When pain didn't have some immediate cause, I always thought nerve damage was the only reason. I sometimes have to take it slow when I put weight on a foot after not standing for a while, but it gets better very quickly. fortunately, I haven't had any injuries. Good to hear that this can alleviate serious issues like plantar fasciitis. I'll try to use the links you sent me this time to look after my calves. I've even got something behind the knees when squatting sometimes. Could be from the same issues.
    You've been really helpful, thanks a lot. I'll keep this thread in mind.