Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does L-Glutamine work?

Hi everyone,
    My First post here. I am 29 been lifting weights since 18 on and off. I am 172lbs, have been up to 195lbs and getting back into it as I was more into fitness these last few years. So I do know how to train.

I take protein, on and off creatine and have always tried to use about 10g of glutamine a day, it's really cheap nowadays.

Reading a lot of threads on all types of products and I have heaps of questions. So here is the first....

Some people have said L-Glutamine is a scam.. why is that? Like many supps, it is difficult to say what's worked in a stack especially if you are taking like 3 or 4 different things at the same time.

For me I have felt that it has worked with high protein and some creatine. So can anyone tell me what the "real" deal is here?

Cheers

Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chemically, levorotary-glutamine is a levorotary-glutamic acid with its hydroxyl group replaced by an amine group, thereby the -amine suffix.

It is a naturally produced molecule in the beta globin chain of the hemoglobin.

So, chemically speaking, it is essential for proper hemoglobin function. A healthy hemoglobin carries 4 oxygen to and from vital organs. Therefore, unless you have anemia, glutamine supplement is unecessary.

Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand that "haemoglobin" carries oxygen. And that there is a relationship with glutamine acid.

I guess in what I am wondering is the role that it may play in muscular development... it is protein, protein is nessecary for muscular hypertrophy, isn't it?

Previously there was much discussion about glutamine and taurine effects on cell-volumisation and it's role in hypertropic gains. So I guess that is a little more specific, I have seen many supplements that carry both glutamine and taurine in their ingredients list, not that that means much though....
    But it's a bit like creatine, many protein powder have it because they want to people to believe it's the protein that is having the dramatic effect and not the creatine.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md9.htm

I guess what I am asking is...
    Is it worth taking glutamine, there are studies that say yes and some that say no?

bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigreezey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you use the search function you will find multiple threads which debunk l-gultamine, it is near worthless as a bodybuilding supplement

Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prudens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Although L-Glutamine may seem to be "useless" to those of us who have no anemic problems, to anemia patients, its role is vital for survival.

For those of us who are not anemic, L-Glutamine is still vital. First of all, it prevents you from getting anemia, and secondly, it promotes oxygen boding with hemoglobin. Oxygen is vital for all organs and proper metabolism because it is the electron acceptor in the electron transport chain, which yields up to 36 adenosine triphosphates. Muscle cells are rich in mitochondria, which relies on ATP to carry on cellular work. So, in a nutshell, L-Glutamine promotes Oxygen, Oxygen ensures Metabolism, Metabolism yields ATP, ATP feeds mitochondria, mitochondria gives you muscle mass.

mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mustangR8cer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bondi View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My First post here. I am 29 been lifting weights since 18 on and off. I am 172lbs, have been up to 195lbs and getting back into it as I was more into fitness these last few years. So I do know how to train.

I take protein, on and off creatine and have always tried to use about 10g of glutamine a day, it's really cheap nowadays.

Reading a lot of threads on all types of products and I have heaps of questions. So here is the first....

Some people have said L-Glutamine is a scam.. why is that? Like many supps, it is difficult to say what's worked in a stack especially if you are taking like 3 or 4 different things at the same time.

For me I have felt that it has worked with high protein and some creatine. So can anyone tell me what the "real" deal is here?

Cheers
    I was at Vitamin Shop last month and I ask one of the reps "what is the fastest way to recover from weight training?" He recommended me to take protein shake mixed with L-Glutamine. So I bought a bottle of L-Glutamine and mixed it with some Isopure protein shake. The next day I feel the same, still somewhat sore. I've try that for about 2 weeks and to me its not that effective. :\ I feel like I got ripped.

Ok, thanks guys.

I did use the search function, and found 15 pages of threads talking about glutamine.

The consense appears to be that it does not promote hypertrophy in regards to bodybuilding, but it must add to protein count so I don't think this is an entirely sound argument.

Although this may indeed be the case, it certainly does not appear to be harmful in my current dosage, so that's a good thing.
    I buy the stuff cheaply anyway, it costs me less than the majority of commercial range of protein powders. I figure it just adds to the protein count for the day.

For me personally I think it does work, although relatively speaking my strength and size are not as closely correlated as most people. I get very strong and can sustain it without putting on tons of LBM even when I was at my heaviest. Glutamine with protein and creatine have done the most for me, even if the glutamine was useless.

I think I'll finish this kg and move on. I don't think that it will stop "DOMS/PEMS" soreness from workouts. You are creating cumulative microtrauma, so you will have a minor inflammatory cycle I assume, rest blood to the area ie stretching/massage/light swimming and proper nutrition is the way to go.

As far the studies go, they are isolationist, the people probably had a protein deficiency and that's why they only responded to large doses that are comparable to what we are doing with Whey. And these things take time too with specific people and variables, not of which I am truly satisfied with.

But I am satisfied that it appears not to work for the vast majority of people and money is best spent elsewhere.

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Prudens View Post
    Chemically, levorotary-glutamine is a levorotary-glutamic acid with its hydroxyl group replaced by an amine group, thereby the -amine suffix.

So, chemically speaking, it is essential for proper hemoglobin function. A healthy hemoglobin carries 4 oxygen to and from vital organs. Therefore, unless you have anemia, glutamine supplement is unecessary.
    Geez man what are you a chemist or something.

MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MegaPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is a lot of good info on Glutamine and all are facts. Problem is these studies and effects are not in regards to oral glutamine but glutamine takien through an IV drip. The problem with oral glutamine is it has a hard time getting past the GI tract. Thats fine because all you need to do is take a little more. 10g per dose is required. More studies need to be done on oral glutamine supplementation at higher doses in relation to bodybuilders for recovery, strength and fat free mass.

The good news is there is ancedotal evidance that says it does work. I use to take it and found that I would get less sore. Mind you I only even took it for recovery, I never knew anything about glutamine stopping soreness but it definatly did. Until I came to this forum I heard countless people saying the same thing.

Now the bad news is there is one study that says it doesnt work. I had it somewhere but couldnt find it. Ill post it when I do. Based on that I chose not to buy more once I ran out seeing as though iv used it for a long time and I thought I ll do my own test and see how I go. Results are that the soreness is back, but, im also putting longer harder tention on the muscle now (training better) so that may be why. I am however thinking about getting some more in a while to see if there is a differnce in soreness while I keep the training intensity up. Before I do i ll be doing majoy research on it.

Now from what I remember glutamine is good in times of dieting and low carbs. Also I know that that study was done using lower doses. Higher doses say 10 g before and after training one ine the morning and one at night Will do the trick or just 3 times a day. So 30g total and yes you do need that much for it to be of benifet.

Yeah, for me glutamine does seem to work. I get bigger strong and more quickly and less sore than when I don't take it. I use whey and glutamine when I train hard, I take about 140g protein and 10g glutamine daily.

A friend 3x Olympic Power Athlete also swears by it, he's about 245lbs and when training clocks in at 258lbs, big scary guy (but a gentle giant). He enjoys pushing bobsleds as the guy at the back (4man).

If a 30g has an effect than it is possible that a smaller dose longer term can have an effect that perhaps is less dramatic.

The logic that has always struck me is... it is the most abundant amino in muscle, muscle hypertrophy is not hyperplasia as most people think, the cells get bigger... cell volume. Therefore to increase cell volume it would make sense to feed muscles more aminos that it needs... and the one that you would assume it needs the most is glutamine, that is aside from essential aminos that your body can't manufacture.

My thoughts on this are any protein supplement that the body can use is useful. But when people assume it is going to have a creatine or drug like effect then they are mistaken.

A problem here is that the Fad has worn off, it all NO supplements at the moment. When these things are first marketed it's always in pills. Now the stuff is cheap the $$$ has gone out of it for supplement companies, so little marketing but they still add it to their supplement ranges... why if it really doesn't work?

Like Whey there aren't millions of processors of the stuff, they virtually all buy from like 5 different plants. Yet there are so many brands with the same contents, just different flavours, labels and marketing.
    Last edited by Bondi; 06-30-2007 at 02:25 AM.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glutamine; Why bother????

If anyone has any literature disproving these facts..... disclose at will.

"With the exception of supplemental glutamine's beneficial role in gastrointestinal disorders (and general gut health), sepsis, and for the recovery from trauma and or surgery.... there's not much sense in administering a product that is very much limited in it's availability for physiological uptake, due to the fact that it's endogenous levels (prior to supplementation) are double the concentration of any other amino acid within the human body (1). Besides.... it's already synthesised within the body in large amounts, found in food, and found in significant amounts within a protein shake.

Endogenous glutamine plays a detrimental role in physiological homeostasis. It plays an equally important role in immune system functions, and most of the glutamine that is utilized for this purpose is naturally synthesized in vivo, and is supplied by the plasma glutamine. In healthy adults, the standard reference ranges for plasma glutamine are around 500-1000 mol/L (2), and do not require supplementation to maintain those figures.

Supplemental glutamine would only benefit us if our intracellular muscle glutamine concentrations were depleted. There are numerous studies that indicate no intracellular muscle glutamine depletion whatsoever following extensive exercise, but even if we do experience some glutamine attenuation.... we are still producing it within us, and getting it through our diet.

In healthy adults, dietary consumption of glutamine has been estimated to be around 5 grams per day (3). Foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, beans, cabbage, spinach, parsley, beets, ect. are all common sources. A single 3-oz serving of meat contains around 3-4 grams of glutamine. (4)

Now let's add on top of all that, the fact that an average 50 gram protein shake, there's about 4.5+ grams of glutamine. So for a 150 lb individual at only 2 protein shakes a day, that's around 9-10 grams of supplemental glutamine.

So for those of you that feel that glutamine is worth supplementing, we're looking at a minimum of around 15+ grams of glutamine intake per day, in addition to what is being produced endogenously.... Do you really think we need more?"

(1)http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/93/3/813

(2)http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/132/9/2580.pdf

(3) http://gut.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/45/1/6

(4) http://www.answers.com/topic/glutamine
    Last edited by NO HYPE; 06-30-2007 at 03:40 AM.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

Thanks,

That was a great post.
    http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/93/3/813
    was one of your references and does indeed state that glutamine supplement may be of benefit. Read the discussion, it point to greater nitrogen retention... this indicates muscle growth, it is the current standard by which they measure it (as far as I know).

Also you state that
    "Endogenous glutamine plays a detrimental role in physiological homeostasis"
    Sorry but this is illogical to my mind, did you cut and paste this, if so where exactly did you get it from?

So far from what I have read in your links, they appear to be virtually completely supportive of glutamine supplement. I see that you have a couple of thousand posts here and must read good amount though I really am going to go out on a limb and ask you to read what you have posted in the links.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs down

Read the discussion, it point to greater nitrogen retention... this indicates muscle growth,
    Last time I checked.... healthy (non-glutamine supplementing) adults have no issues with nitrogen retention. So even if it does improve.... can you explain to me how my skeletal muscles will noticeably differ after ingestion of supplemental glutamine?

Also you state that "Endogenous glutamine plays a detrimental role in physiological homeostasis" Sorry but this is illogical to my mind,
    Maybe you should try it again?

Endogenous: Within the body

Detrimental: Causing damage

Physiological: Of or relating to physiology.

Homeostasis: The maintenance of internal equilibrium.

did you cut and paste this, if so where exactly did you get it from?
    No.

So far from what I have read in your links, they appear to be virtually completely supportive of glutamine supplement.
    In healthy adults? Examples?

I see that you have a couple of thousand posts here and must read good amount though I really am going to go out on a limb and ask you to read what you have posted in the links.
    I think you need to stop inferring that I do not read what I post.
    ~

Ok dude, you had to do it. And by your comments want me to try again...

Endogenous means produced or synthesized within the organism or system.
    Your statement's means: The glutamine that your own body produces for its own use, does if fact do damage to the your own body.

Now read your links!

raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mustangR8cer View Post
    I was at Vitamin Shop last month and I ask one of the reps "what is the fastest way to recover from weight training?" He recommended me to take protein shake mixed with L-Glutamine. So I bought a bottle of L-Glutamine and mixed it with some Isopure protein shake. The next day I feel the same, still somewhat sore. I've try that for about 2 weeks and to me its not that effective. :\ I feel like I got ripped.
    Its his job to lie.

Glutamine or any supplement for that matter wont have a dramatic effect on recivery.
    Ansew to the few pms I've gotten since popping back on-line...

NO I never got full amount back from 'him', still owed for FAKE t3 and wu fee... More than a year on I can't be bothered to carry on chasing it up.. Unfortunatly word is he is on another bb community forum still selling

Seriously I find incredible to believe after reading those links that you make those claims.

1) Further the fact that it does increase GSH and reduces damage to muscle cells, to me means an protective anti-catabolic agent in short.
    2) Improves immune function and helps fight disease in general, reduces infection etc. In short it helps maintain optimal functioning, being healthy and in good shape... though you state it damages your own body.
    3) Shown to have excellent results on improving nitrogen retention.
    Nitrogen Retention refers to the body's ability to hold on to its critical nitrogen. The presence of certain specific substances in the body can help it to retain nitrogen. Anabolic steroids are one such class of substances
    Basically it means it is an indication that the substance is shown to be muscle promoting.
    4)glutamine is important for cells in culture. This has the implication that it is in fact absolutely nessecary for cells and therfore muscular hypertrophy. The question then becomes how much is enough and can we benefit from consuming more or is our body capable of producing enough?
    5) I agree it has shown little effect on short term supplementation in performance and further that more research needs to be done in this area.

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.or...1-42-50-06.pdf
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/article64.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet10.htm

Trying to locate a link for the claims of increases in GH, I found one study conducted in 1995 that showed this.
    Hey you got me playing the devil's avocate and I am not seeing huge problems with supplementing with Glutamine so far.

I'll do more research tommorrow...

deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadliffft has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Seriously I find incredible to believe after reading those links that you make those claims.

1) Further the fact that it does increase GSH and reduces damage to muscle cells, to me means an protective anti-catabolic agent in short.
    2) Improves immune function and helps fight disease in general, reduces infection etc. In short it helps maintain optimal functioning, being healthy and in good shape... though you state it damages your own body.
    Nitrogen Retention refers to the body's ability to hold on to its critical nitrogen. The presence of certain specific substances in the body can help it to retain nitrogen. Anabolic steroids are one such class of substances
    Basically it means it is an indication that the substance is shown to be muscle promoting.
    4)glutamine is important for cells in culture. This has the implication that it is in fact absolutely nessecary for cells and therfore muscular hypertrophy. The question then becomes how much is enough and can we benefit from consuming more or is our body capable of producing enough?
    5) I agree it has shown little effect on short term supplementation in performance and further that more research needs to be done in this area.

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.or...1-42-50-06.pdf
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/article64.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet10.htm

Trying to locate a link for the claims of increases in GH, I found one study conducted in 1995 that showed this.
    Hey you got me playing the devil's avocate and I am not seeing huge problems with supplementing with Glutamine so far.

I'll do more research tommorrow...
    Okay dude, nobody is arguing the importance of glutamine. I think every individual who actually takes the time to read and do research will agree. Thing is, oral glutamine supplementation is useless. Why you may ask? Well two reasons actually. First off, glutamine is produced in your body. Thats right, with the exception of a few persons, humans can produce the necessary glutamine for survival in their own bodies. Secondly and probably more obvious, glutamine is also the most abundant amino acid in our diets. The list of high glutamine foods goes on and on and on. So lets just say for a second that glutamine is readily bioavailable, would it even make sense to supplement with it when you get so much from your diet?

So of course next time you walk into GNC they're gonna try to stuff this crap down your throat. It's cheap as dirt to make and people are painfully naive.

deadliffft stated:
    nobody is arguing the importance of glutamine

No Hype stated:
    "Endogenous glutamine plays a detrimental role in physiological homeostasis"
    Last edited by Bondi; 06-30-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: adding references to quotes

Buccinator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually, I take it orally for my Crohn's disease. It helps the intestines absorb the nutrients that I normally can't take in. If you're a person who is suffering from either Crohn's disease or IBS, glutamine is an incredible supplement for healing your digestive track. I found this out by talking with a pharmacist that I interned under. The benefits that I get from this supplement is unbelievable. Most people probably won't notice a difference, but anyone with a digestive disorder wlll hug their glutamine bucket everyday. Also, I'm one of the few who notices that soreness is virtually non-existent when taking it.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Buccinator View Post
    Actually, I take it orally for my Crohn's disease. It helps the intestines absorb the nutrients that I normally can't take in. If you're a person who is suffering from either Crohn's disease or IBS, glutamine is an incredible supplement for healing your digestive track. I found this out by talking with a pharmacist that I interned under. The benefits that I get from this supplement is unbelievable. Most people probably won't notice a difference, but anyone with a digestive disorder wlll hug their glutamine bucket everyday. Also, I'm one of the few who notices that soreness is virtually non-existent when taking it.
    ^^ X2. That's the only benefit I've noticed when I was taking it during times of heavy training volume.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

andros=man+genein=produce Androgenic's Avatar
    Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Prudens View Post

Originally Posted by NO HYPE View Post
    "With the exception of supplemental glutamine's beneficial role in gastrointestinal disorders (and general gut health), sepsis, and for the recovery from trauma and or surgery.
    Seems like it does other stuff than anemia. Hmm.

Nice job on digging for yourself Bondi. Broscience is abound on this board. Some good stuff and not so good stuff. The jury's out on Glutamine ORALLY, but there's issues on the type of glutamine, type of training, and timing.
    Shawn Wells, MPH, RD, CISSN
    Director of Research and Development - Dymatize
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bgnb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Buccinator View Post
    exactly ... this is how someone CAN end up with a deficiency
    of glutamine.

the other time is when you are sick ... cold or flu, then your
    body breaks down muscle tissue to extract glutamine to produce
    antibodies ...

it is also why it is given to hiv/aids patients ...

But for an otherwise healthy person with no chronic or acute
    illness it is most likely not worth the money.

PS: put my dad on it before hip surgery and after and his
    recovery 'amazed' the surgeon! my dad had zero infection,
    up and moving and home with no complications ... had to
    stop him from going out and chopping wood! best part was
    he lost almost no strength and had energy to spare ... he was
    up cooking his own dinner second day out ...

Thumbs up

Endogenous means produced or synthesized within the organism or system. Your statement's means: The glutamine that your own body produces for its own use, does if fact do damage to the your own body.
    Ah yes.... thank you for pointing out my mistake (can't believe I missed that, even after just posting detrimental's definition ).

Reps to you my friend. I believe "crucial" was the word that I was thinking of while typing detrimental.

These benefits are irrelevant if the plasma glutamine is at it's normal concentration (which it already is, prior to supplementation).
    ~

Originally Posted by Androgenic View Post
    The jury's out on Glutamine ORALLY,
    I am truly curious....

Do you have anything indicating benefit from intravenous administration of glutamine in healthy adults?

but there's issues on the type of glutamine,
    From what I understand, free-form glutamine is unstable at physiological pH in liquid media.

Solution= Glutamine in dipeptide form.
    ~

illogical unscientific reasoning and conclusion
    Care to elaborate on that neg rep?

How about being more specific?
    Last edited by NO HYPE; 06-30-2007 at 12:37 PM.
    ~

The ONLY way that we can benefit from supplemental glutamine's effects on skeletal muscle, is if the plasma is attenuated to the point of significant intracellular depletion.
    ~

Registered User Contract Killer's Avatar
    Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000) Contract Killer is just really nice. (+1000)
    My shakes have like 4 grams of glut per scoop, I get plenty of the stuff.

Question

So far from what I have read in your links, they appear to be virtually completely supportive of glutamine supplement.
    In healthy adults? Examples?

Let's not forget the fact that the overwhelming majority of people within the bb community are using it in hopes of benefiting skeletal muscle.
    Last edited by NO HYPE; 06-30-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    ~

andros=man+genein=produce Androgenic's Avatar
    Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am truly curious....

Do you have anything indicating benefit from intravenous administration of glutamine in healthy adults?
    Do you think they'd do that study? IV administration of glutamine peptides on "healthy" people. Read above though...Kind of like people talking about histidine and arginine being conditionally essential aminos. What conditions? Growth and trauma. Hmm...Sounds like a bodybuilder that's training seriously. Further, immunity issues...microtrauma to the muscle, cutting kcals on a cut, certainly cycles of PH/AAS, Cold weather training, temperature fluctuations, exposure to germs due to cross-contamination and high amount of people coming in contact to (gym). I think these points at least worth debating. The blanket bro stuff of "dude, its crap"...well, with glutamine there's a lot to look at.

I am a Chief Clinical Dietitian and I've used it with trauma and had phenomenal results. Further Chron's patients I had have seen great results as well. This is not the bodybuilder and IV studies would be logical for a healthy person as this isn't viable or sensible for a healthy person. We do use glutamine peptides in clinical situations...this comes to your next question.

From what I understand, free-form glutamine is unstable at physiological pH in liquid media.

Solution= Glutamine in dipeptide form.
    Glutamine peptides. Ahh, that WAS the solution according to bodybuilding MARKETING SCIENCE, which is bro-science meets infomercial claims. But, you were right to say "dipeptides". "Glutamine peptides" could refer to anything protein based containing a glutamine residue...could be whey...stupid. Tri-, oligo-, poly-peptide, whatever. So, maybe people see different results due to wrong form (not di-peptide glutamine), wrong timing, wrong dose, lower-intensity training, etc. Further still, the research by IV (TPN) and what's therefore used clinically is two specific glutamine dipeptides: L-alanyl-L-glutamine (Ala-Gln) and glycyl-L-glutamine (Gly-Gln).

The PDR is a great source for information on this and is what we use clinically: http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/n...glu_0124.shtml

Take this further, in that dipeptides are the fastest way to deliver aminos to the bloodstream (faster than ever free form due to transport) and we have something to discuss. Maybe the oral form of those two specific glutamine dipeptides would yield the result most have thought they'd get.

I do know people that are powerlifters (many using AAS) and training very hard do see significant benefit from oral supplemental glutamine, but their level of training and pounding they put on their bodies and immune system is hardly comparable to most reading this.
    Shawn Wells, MPH, RD, CISSN
    Director of Research and Development - Dymatize
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

Do you think they'd do that study? IV administration of glutamine peptides on "healthy" people.
    I understand your point, but I don't understand how the concept is that far-fetched, since studies like.... "Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults." have been conducted on healthy adults.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...&dopt=Abstract
    ~