AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Need help with squats

Hello all,
    I've recently switched from leg press to squats because i wanted to improve my big 3 and my lower back problems are improving. I've tried doing normal squats where my feet are shoulder width and pointed forward which cause my knees to bend forward. I've also heard of doing squats with feet slightly farther out and pointed away from the body so the knees bend out and you do deeper into the squat. I've done this twice and I've found that it takes pressure off my back, but the question is is it less effective on the legs?

thanks
    446/281/501

Goals for 2015
    500/320/550

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your feet should be angled out. Shoulder width stance is fine.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Squat with a wider stance if it is more comfortable.

AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AlecAzam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Your feet should be angled out. Shoulder width stance is fine.
    Maybe my balance is wrong but when im shoulder width and angled feet its hard for me to keep the load on my heels, it always rolls to the balls of my feet
    446/281/501

Goals for 2015
    500/320/550

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AlecAzam View Post
    Maybe my balance is wrong but when im shoulder width and angled feet its hard for me to keep the load on my heels, it always rolls to the balls of my feet
    Sounds like a mobility issue. Go a little wider if you have to. Regardless, you might want to consider doing some stretching in your off time.

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    but the question is is it less effective on the legs?
    a wider stance tends to put more load on you glutes and hamstrings... which for the majority of people this is where the lower body is lacking most! Additionally your lower body training should include more then just squats allowing you to address anything you think is being neglected.

Originally Posted by JSNeves View Post
    a wider stance tends to put more load on you glutes and hamstrings... which for the majority of people this is where the lower body is lacking most! Additionally your lower body training should include more then just squats allowing you to address anything you think is being neglected.
    Ya i do lunges, hamstring curls, calf press and leg extensions, but this routine is relatively new to me.
    446/281/501

Goals for 2015
    500/320/550

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Then drop your hips back and don't try to keep your back super upright (I can only assume since there was no video). For your stance, go as wide as you need to to get as deep as possible without rounding your back. Same goes for angle of your feet. No one here can see your whole body (or you squatting for that matter), so we cannot know or tell you the best position for you to be in to squat. No single way works for everyone. We all have different levels of mobility, length of bones (especially femurs), torso lengths....and so on. All these things and more play a big factor, but from what you've stated so far, I say pull your feet and knees apart a bit and point the toes out a bit too. Do it a little at a time until it feels and looks right.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    Then drop your hips back and don't try to keep your back super upright (I can only assume since there was no video). For your stance, go as wide as you need to to get as deep as possible without rounding your back. Same goes for angle of your feet. No one here can see your whole body (or you squatting for that matter), so we cannot know or tell you the best position for you to be in to squat. No single way works for everyone. We all have different levels of mobility, length of bones (especially femurs), torso lengths....and so on. All these things and more play a big factor, but from what you've stated so far, I say pull your feet and knees apart a bit and point the toes out a bit too. Do it a little at a time until it feels and looks right.
    This makes sense since I'm so tall, thanks I'll try this soon.
    446/281/501

Goals for 2015
    500/320/550

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    OP why not take a couple of vids of your working squat sets next time. try and make it a shot from the side and have as much of your body in it as possible. but specifically your hips, knees, and feet. also geta shot from behind or in front that shows the same thing.

everyone in this forum can tell you what they think your problem is based on what you are saying but a video is almost always worth more than 100 posts trying to describe your squat.
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.