Page 3 of 203 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Nice work today.

40lbs on lateral raises? Never in my life. Wow.

Solid pressing too.

-=FLEX=-
    Thanks, Flex. It was good to use my "strength phase" as an excuse to push my limits a bit.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    That's a lot of work!

Great job.
    Hey, I'm just trying to keep up with all of the training volume monsters on this site!

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Thought I would come in and see what the big men were lifting. Looks like I've got some work to do if I want to be one of the big men

Great back and forth conversation going on in here MHL! A guy could learn something if he just pays attention...
    The big men..? Oh, yeah, you'll find those guys in the journals for 2nd_Chance and Flex. However, this IS the spot for aging bodybuilders with achy joints.

Thanks for stopping by and for the comments. I've learned a few things from your journal thread and I appreciate the thought that you have put into your regimen and day-to-day progression in the gym.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Hey, if a "skinny-fat to really fat" guy like me can get it together, then I have no doubt that you will meet or exceed anything that I've done so far. Please keep in touch and let me know how your progress is coming along.

Hey, Yak! Thanks for the comments. You raise a fair question, so I'll try to give a fair answer. Essentially, you're talking about measurement theory, so I'll weigh in on your point and what I'm doing. Three things come immediately to mind: accuracy, reliability, and feasibility.

Accuracy: There is no doubt in my mind that my single point caliper measure is an inaccurate measure of BF%. In general, all of the caliper BF assessment methods/formulas (Jackson/Pollock, Parillo, etc.) have significant limitations compared to gold standard measures. Based on my experience and what I see in the mirror, when my caliper assessment says, "10% BF", it could really be anywhere from 9-12%. However, I am merely using it as a datum point to tell me if I am going two steps forward or two steps backwards, which leads to the next point...

Reliability (and validity, too): The major limitation to caliper measurement is reliability. Getting reproducible values is largely dependent on the technician and the instrument, so the practice of me taking these measurements over and over again helps in this regard. Since the "real" value of my BF will remain unknown and is less important than how I look, the key element of the measurement is reliability so I can quantify how I am progressing.

You are right in saying that the subQ measure of BF is the critical one regarding how we appear on stage. But it is certainly not the only important measure. Waist size matters, so keeping an eye on visceral fat (indirectly, of course) via the simple tape measure is also useful (particularly when visceral fat goes down, but subQ does not). Plus, as you know, visceral fat is linked to cortisol levels and insulin sensitivity, so its reduction during dieting may merit some monitoring as well.

Feasibility: There's always a trade off between the best available measure and the one that will actually get done. I am sure that the 3-point method that you suggest is superior to my single-point measure. The thigh measure is notoriously difficult to get on men with any degree of leaness, but I may play around with it a bit and see if I can get my caliper skills in that region up to par again. I'll explore the 3-point method a bit (and maybe compare it to the single point estimate) and see what happens. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks again for your contribution to the thread!
    Damn what an amazing thread

As far as BF measurements --do you really think they are any more accurate or even needed rather than just looking in the mirror

After all the judges don't measure your BF other than with their calibrated eyeballs
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by uncbob View Post
    Damn what an amazing thread

As far as BF measurements --do you really think they are any more accurate or even needed rather than just looking in the mirror

After all the judges don't measure your BF other than with their calibrated eyeballs
    Hey Bob. Nice to hear from you.

You raise a great point. There are a few ways to think about it, so here's my take for what it's worth:

Two roads, one destination: If it's not obvious yet, then I'll just say it. I'm a numbers guy. However, I have a healthy amount of respect for people that diet (and train) instinctively. Successful IFBB pros like Lee Priet and Even Centopani both simply "clean up their diet" at the start of contest prep and ramp up the cardio as they go along. Neither of these guys use calipers as part of their prep or measure their food (let's leave the issues related to AAS and diuretics aside for the sake of argument). In contrast, Phil Heath and Jay Cutler measure everything.

Given the stressful nature of a truly rigorous diet, I would say that the athlete should do whatever makes him or her feel the most at ease - the sense of control gained through measuring, or the freedom of not measuring. There are some other factors to keep in mind though...

Why measure anything?: There are a few reasons why I measure. One is planning the general length of my diet and establishing my absolute minimal protein requirement (based on lean body mass) while on limited calories. Once you know your lean body mass, then you can easily calculate the required protein intake; once you know your BF% and BF in lbs, then you can estimate how many weeks it will take to reach your target BF% (or appearance) based on the lbs of fat lost per week. The body is not a petri dish - sh!t happens along the way that will screw with your time line - but BF values can help to provide a good estimate of dieting time.

Another issue is monitoring and preventing an excessive loss of muscle mass during hard dieting. If you simply measure your progress by lbs lost via a scale, then you have little insight regarding what is really happening. Granted, you improve from being "clueless" to having "equivocal knowledge" about LBM loss when you introduce calipers, but at least it's something. One can argue that you know you are losing muscle during a diet if you are getting weaker in the gym, but I think that it's tough for a depleted dieter to distinguish LBM loss from poor energy levels (or a combination thereof) when gym performance goes south late in the prep.

Finally, there is the concern about making informed adjustments in your calorie deficit when fat loss stalls. (Let's ignore strategies like iso-caloric macro adjustments to get past stalled BF loss for now.) Personally, I lose fat in a non-linear fashion. And occasionally, one can lose a little weight but still not look any different in the mirror. When this happens, should one step up cardio or cut a modest amount of cals to restart the process? Well, not so fast... Sometimes, intra-abdominal fat will go down while subQ fat stays largely unchanged. When this occurs, the dieter IS making progress even if it does not result in sharper abs via the mirror test; the tape measure would reveal that the waist is indeed getting smaller. Therefore, the best course of action would be to NOT cut cals or increase cardio, and keep things steady. In my view, these small adjustments and decisions are aided by more info - not less.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz

Thumbs up

^ Solid, well thought out post, MHL.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

x2.
    David

Day 6: The RDMC

The Rest Day Motivational Clip

The first RDMC is a great one. Perhaps Zhansi's best video to date. It's a little unconventional for him since there is no overheated music this time around, but that does not make it any less effective.

This...is...bodybuilding.

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    x2.
    Thanks guys.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The Rest Day Motivational Clip

The first RDMC is a great one. Perhaps Zhansi's best video to date. It's a little unconventional for him since there is no overheated music this time around, but that does not make it any less effective.

This...is...bodybuilding.

Thanx for that man...just what I need RIGHT Now
    This one was sent to me by a friend as well...nails it!!
    Absolutely nails it!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Thanx for that man...just what I need RIGHT Now
    This one was sent to me by a friend as well...nails it!!
    Absolutely nails it!

Aww, man...that was just great! Thanks for posting that!!!

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Aww, man...that was just great! Thanks for posting that!!!
    x2. Love that one.

On a slightly different, but related note, this compilation of clips has long been a favorite of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJhbLVjOeo
    Last edited by FlaIronMind; 09-04-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Tryin' to fix the embed...

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm finally subscribed. Great thread!

Embedded for FlaIronMind. Thanks for the contribution!

Day 1: Endurance Phase; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Deads w/back + rear delts

Things got off to a bad start when I had a gym membership FUBAR moment right outta' the gate. To make a long story short, my gym chain is going through the process of downsizing. The local gym where I signed up suddenly closed down and caused my membership to be canceled - even though I pay for the privilege to train at all of the gym chains in the city. So, my first 25 min was spent at some manager's desk instead of on the gym floor. But why get mad, when you push some slag iron?

...then again, it's "endurance phase" time. So, much for slag iron - "light weight, baby!!!" (using my best Ronnie Coleman voice)

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • dips, 1 x 15
    • hyperextensions/GHRs, 1 x 10 + BW, 1 x 10 + 25 lbs
    • pull ups, 1 x 10
    • leg extensions, 2 x 10-15, 20% of the stack
    • lying leg curls, 1 x 10, 40% of the stack

Set up of beginning set of Sumo deads in platform using bands

HAMS

Deads
    bar x 10 --- wu
    135 x 8 wu

----------- standard deads from the floor, no shoes from here on out...
    315 x 5 --- the inventor of hex plates should be tried for crimes against humanity...srs.
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    ----------- Sumo deads in platform, using red mini bands (+90 lbs per side; notation: weight from starting position to ending position); shoes back on
    135 - 315 x 5 --- first time using the red bands for deads, so I started conservatively
    185 - 365 x 5
    205 - 385 x 5 --- holy sh!t at the lockouts on these bad boys...
    205 - 385 x 5
    205 - 385 x 5

Lying leg curls
    90 x 15
    110 x 12
    100 x 12

SLDL in Smith
    135 x 12
    185 x 12
    185 x 12

Close up of platform Sumo deads set up with bands; this platform does not have resistance band pins, so I have doubled them around the platform using carabiner fasteners - caution: this results in extreme tension...

BACK

Seated spider rows (plate loaded)
    50 x 15
    70 x 15
    120 x 12
    --- Note: once you manage to stop laughing hysterically at these low poundages, keep in mind that the pulley system on this machine makes 50 lbs feel like 100 lbs

Lat pull downs
    150 x 15
    138 x 15
    138 x 15

Standing straight arm pullovers (facing away from lat pulldown machine)
    50 x 15
    63 x 15
    63 x 15

REAR DELTS

DB bentover laterals while prone on incline bench
    20 x 15
    20 x 15
    25 x 15

Seated face pulls
    100 x 15
    100 x 15
    100 x 15

Cardio: running late; will do later at home

Impressions: All in all, a really solid workout. Volume was down slightly (It's all relative, guys!) due to the truncated time, but it was a productive session.

While it was not the split routine cycle for "dynamic phase" work, I pretty much keep all sessions open to resistance band work with the exception of the "strength phase." If nothing else, it keeps the higher rep days interesting.

Anyway, time was short because I had an important morning appointment to keep - the Kidz Zone activity of the month at Home Depot with my son!

Last edited by mharrislove; 09-04-2010 at 04:55 PM.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Bob. Nice to hear from you.

You raise a great point. There are a few ways to think about it, so here's my take for what it's worth:

Two roads, one destination: If it's not obvious yet, then I'll just say it. I'm a numbers guy. However, I have a healthy amount of respect for people that diet (and train) instinctively. Successful IFBB pros like Lee Priet and Even Centopani both simply "clean up their diet" at the start of contest prep and ramp up the cardio as they go along. Neither of these guys use calipers as part of their prep or measure their food (let's leave the issues related to AAS and diuretics aside for the sake of argument). In contrast, Phil Heath and Jay Cutler measure everything.

Given the stressful nature of a truly rigorous diet, I would say that the athlete should do whatever makes him or her feel the most at ease - the sense of control gained through measuring, or the freedom of not measuring. There are some other factors to keep in mind though...

Why measure anything?: There are a few reasons why I measure. One is planning the general length of my diet and establishing my absolute minimal protein requirement (based on lean body mass) while on limited calories. Once you know your lean body mass, then you can easily calculate the required protein intake; once you know your BF% and BF in lbs, then you can estimate how many weeks it will take to reach your target BF% (or appearance) based on the lbs of fat lost per week. The body is not a petri dish - sh!t happens along the way that will screw with your time line - but BF values can help to provide a good estimate of dieting time.

Another issue is monitoring and preventing an excessive loss of muscle mass during hard dieting. If you simply measure your progress by lbs lost via a scale, then you have little insight regarding what is really happening. Granted, you improve from being "clueless" to having "equivocal knowledge" about LBM loss when you introduce calipers, but at least it's something. One can argue that you know you are losing muscle during a diet if you are getting weaker in the gym, but I think that it's tough for a depleted dieter to distinguish LBM loss from poor energy levels (or a combination thereof) when gym performance goes south late in the prep.

Finally, there is the concern about making informed adjustments in your calorie deficit when fat loss stalls. (Let's ignore strategies like iso-caloric macro adjustments to get past stalled BF loss for now.) Personally, I lose fat in a non-linear fashion. And occasionally, one can lose a little weight but still not look any different in the mirror. When this happens, should one step up cardio or cut a modest amount of cals to restart the process? Well, not so fast... Sometimes, intra-abdominal fat will go down while subQ fat stays largely unchanged. When this occurs, the dieter IS making progress even if it does not result in sharper abs via the mirror test; the tape measure would reveal that the waist is indeed getting smaller. Therefore, the best course of action would be to NOT cut cals or increase cardio, and keep things steady. In my view, these small adjustments and decisions are aided by more info - not less.
    Do you really think you can calculate your protein requirement and your lean body mass that preciously --The body isn't that accurate a machine and I doubt you can measure your protein intake that accurately and how it is synthesized is not a constant --The numbers for protein /fat/carbo content of any food aren't that accurate to enable minute adjustments --hell I get my blood parameters measured every month due to a Chronic disease I have and two separate samples on the same machine the same day within minutes of each other have an experimental variance

But different strokes for different folks
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the embed MHL; it was something that was seemingly beyond my abilities at the time.

And job well done today; some great work and even better mindset/disposition when Murphy's Law kicks in.

msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Good workout, and very informative posts before that about body fat. Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall now so I can't see most of the pics or vids. I haven't used bands before but I may try them out when I build my home "mega gym" lol.

Keep up the good work and the very informative posts.
    My Workout and Diet Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132284633

2009-2010 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125381851

Originally Posted by uncbob View Post
    Do you really think you can calculate your protein requirement and your lean body mass that preciously --The body isn't that accurate a machine and I doubt you can measure your protein intake that accurately and how it is synthesized is not a constant --The numbers for protein /fat/carbo content of any food aren't that accurate to enable minute adjustments --hell I get my blood parameters measured every month due to a Chronic disease I have and two separate samples on the same machine the same day within minutes of each other have an experimental variance

But different strokes for different folks
    "Experimental variance" rules out the utility of objective measurements? Different strokes for different folks, indeed!

The inherent limitations of research or objective measures do not mean that they are bereft of any value. Are there not significant limitations to individual perceptions and observations? We all see through the lens darkly...

Nah...it's not really about precious calculations. It's about using the best information available to you to make tough choices when you diet. You have to start somewhere.

Keep in mind that when people follow recommendations such as 1.2 to 1.5 g (or even 2.0 g) of protein per lb of BW as an optimal range for building mass, it is more or less overkill serving as an insurance policy. You may really need 0.8 g or 1.0 g to get the job done, but if you crank it up over 1.5 g, then you know that you got enough, right?

Well, we don't have the luxury when we diet. People with slow metabolic rates, really, really don't have that luxury.

You commit to a 2000 cal diet to start your prep. You need PRO, CHO, and FATS - what are you going to do?

Living off of 75 g or less of CHO is not fun. It's not even remotely close to being fun. Why squeeze out the levels of CHO (or even some fats) from your diets because levels of PRO are unnecessarily high and taking up metabolic "space" (remember, it's a zero-sum game)?

Or take it the other direction, why have PRO too low in your bid to restrict cals, and unnecessarily risk LBM loss?

A less than perfect estimate based on LBM (or general dietary research) is a legitimate place to start. And if you adhere to the 1.0 - 1.2 g PRO rule, or a 40/40/20 macro split, then rest assured that you are probably using general principles derived from research featuring tools with "experimental variance."

If you are suggesting that one can go through this process through trial-and-error or via instinct, then you will see from my earlier post that I provide examples of people that do this very thing. But if, however, you suggest that we cannot really know anything about our bodies due to the limits of instrumentation, then I would respectfully disagree.

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't know you had a journal running! Subbed, with much catching up to do!

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    Thanks for the embed MHL; it was something that was seemingly beyond my abilities at the time.

And job well done today; some great work and even better mindset/disposition when Murphy's Law kicks in.
    I appreciate that; a great workout starts with the proper mental approach, right?

Originally Posted by msru View Post
    Good workout, and very informative posts before that about body fat. Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall now so I can't see most of the pics or vids. I haven't used bands before but I may try them out when I build my home "mega gym" lol.

Keep up the good work and the very informative posts.
    Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you want some more info on the bands. The threads by 2nd_chance and Buckspin also have some info and may be worth searching.

Originally Posted by ectoBgone View Post
    Didn't know you had a journal running! Subbed, with much catching up to do!
    No problem! I look forward to seeing you stop by every now and then!

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Anyway, time was short because I had an important morning appointment to keep - the Kidz Zone activity of the month at Home Depot with my son!
    Thanks for posting the pic MHL. It's great to see pictures of another dad having fun with his little ones. Mine are the reason I train.

Much respect, my friend!

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic MHL. It's great to see pictures of another dad having fun with his little ones. Mine are the reason I train.

Much respect, my friend!
    The respect is mutual...it all starts and ends with the family. Enjoy the holiday weekend with your crew at home!

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Set up of beginning set of Sumo deads in platform using bands
    Interesting setup...... I've only done db rows and db squats with my bands so far....

Deads
    bar x 10 --- wu
    135 x 8 wu

----------- standard deads from the floor, no shoes from here on out...
    315 x 5 --- the inventor of hex plates should be tried for crimes against humanity...srs.
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    ----------- Sumo deads in platform, using red mini bands (+90 lbs per side; notation: weight from starting position to ending position); shoes back on
    135 - 315 x 5 --- first time using the red bands for deads, so I started conservatively
    185 - 365 x 5
    205 - 385 x 5 --- holy sh!t at the lockouts on these bad boys...
    205 - 385 x 5
    205 - 385 x 5
    Impressive body of work. I struggled with deads for a very long time. Just never felt right and easily my weakest lift. They are slowly becoming my favorite exercise.

Building you a bench? Cool pic!
    David

Day 2: Endurance Phase; Off-Season: 44 weeks to go

Bench w/triceps + calves

It's a beautiful day in DC - the heatwave is finally broken and we have a long weekend to enjoy it. I have meats marinating, a full supply of propane and coals, and a couple of family members that are ready to grub. Of course, I have to earn the right to eat well, so off I go to the gym.

Of all of the contrived "phases" that I have added to my workout regimen, the "endurance phase" is perhaps the one I need the most. It is an area that I need to improve to be a more complete iron athlete, and perhaps, enhance my muscular development. It's not a deload week, although my joints are enjoying a well-deserved break. For me, it is still hard work despite the laughable poundages. But I am not ego-driven (usually), I am results-driven. So I am not above slinging a few pink dumbbells if they take me to higher ground.

This workout took a page out of the FlaIronMind playbook - short, sweet, and painful. Let's go...

CHEST

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • dips, 1 x 15
    • seated machine bench presses, 3 x 25%/50%/75% of stack

Bench (in power rack)
    ---------- iso-inertial work
    bar x 10 wu
    135 x 10
    185 x 10
    225 x 9
    ---------- dynamic variable resistance work (red bands, est. 50 lbs of force per side)
    135 - 235 x 10
    185 - 285 x 7
    155 - 255 x 10
    155 - 255 x 10
    135 - 235 x 10 --- needed rest/pause technique for the last few reps

Incline DB press
    100 x 10
    90 x 10
    80 x 10

Pec deck
    120 x 15
    120 x 15
    120 x 15

TRICEPS

Machine dips (using the assisted pullup machine)
    120 x 15
    120 x 15

Lying French DB press
    30 x 15
    30 x 15

Seated French DB press
    25 x15
    20 x 15

Single-arm cable overhead extension
    45 x 15
    45 x 15 --- forced reps, 12 to 15

Single-arm reverse grip tricep pressdown
    45 x 15
    45 x 25 --- tried to finish strong

CALVES

Standing heel raises (max stack = 300)
    120 x 20
    180 x 20
    220 x 20
    180 x 20
    120 x 20

Single limb heel raises on leg press (1 "set" = weak leg, strong leg, weak leg; no rest)
    1 plate x 15
    1 plate x 15
    1 plate x 15

"Grandpa's" heel raises with 45 degree knee flexion (for soleus; on hip sled)
    270 x 15
    290 x 15
    310 x 15

Impressions: This was my first time trying the endurance phase rep scheme for chest work - I like it (in a masochistic kinda' way). I fell short on a few of the bench sets, but that's okay. I gives me a target to shoot for, and I know that this aspect of muscle performance is a place where I can stand improvement.

A quick note about the bands: the 90 lb rating of red bands correspond to a specific length of stretch. I can confirm that they exert at least this much force when they are wrapped around the deadlift platform. However, when they are doubled around the power rack over a bench press (with J-hooks positioned at the "manlet setting") the net force produced is less impressive.

My very unscientific test of band resistance was to strip the Oly bar of all plates and just bench press the bar with the bands attached. The weight at the top of the lift should have equaled about 225 lbs. However, the bar felt slightly heavier than a standard 135 lb bench press. Therefore, I will keep my estimate of the red band force at 50 lbs for the bench press set up and retain the company rating of 90 lbs for the deadlift set up in future journal entries.

Rest day is slated for tomorrow...
    Last edited by mharrislove; 09-05-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Day 3: Active Rest - Culinary Notes

Culinary Notes

Prior to the my contest prep earlier this year, I channeled my inner-Top Chef and really began to learn my way around the kitchen. I had known how to cook a few select things for some time, since I grew up watching my grandmother crank out Southern-style food for the entire extended family.

I can still do some a that stuff too (although, not nearly as well as her), but I recently challenged myself to learn other styles of cooking and some basic techniques. However, the fact that I then stopped cooking like this to crank out trays of baked chicken breasts and vats of steamed sweet potatoes went over like a lead balloon with my wife.

Big mistake. As Yak has said, "Happy wife means happy life." So, this off-season, EVERYONE is in a much better mental place!

Here's a dish that I worked on prior to the last contest prep...

...it's basically a combination of clams and mussels in a white wine sauce with pasta.

I just finished a new rendition of the dish with only clams to kick off the long weekend.

But...while all of this is fine and good, the fancy stuff goes on the shelf this afternoon and we'll honor grandma again by working on some BBQ! (No pics, yet...)
    Last edited by mharrislove; 09-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Short, sweet and painful.... My kind of workout! Strong chest work yesterday.

Hope you're having a blessed time with the fam this holiday MHL
    David

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Short, sweet and painful.... My kind of workout! Strong chest work yesterday.

Hope you're having a blessed time with the fam this holiday MHL
    Hey, thanks for stopping by... The long weekend has been great; we went on a long bike ride earlier today at Rock Creek Park and I have some carnarge on the grill for our meal tonight.

I had to attack some wicked hills on the bike while dragging a 60 lb load (kid + bike trailer + provisions), so I hope that my legs are up to task for tomorrow's workout!

Anyway, I hope that you have a great time with your family as well.

As usual, your updates are complete pleasure to read sir. Beautiful pics of the outing today and the meal prep sounds and looks outstanding as well. Cooking is a passion of mine as well, actually, moreso than actually eating the meals prepared, but, rather, watching those whom I cook for enjoy the meal.

And...btw...I had a Southern maw-maw and a Southern mother who I will always try to better in the kitchen and, invariably, will always fail.

Glad you had a great weekend!

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    As usual, your updates are complete pleasure to read sir. Beautiful pics of the outing today and the meal prep sounds and looks outstanding as well. Cooking is a passion of mine as well, actually, moreso than actually eating the meals prepared, but, rather, watching those whom I cook for enjoy the meal.

And...btw...I had a Southern maw-maw and a Southern mother who I will always try to better in the kitchen and, invariably, will always fail.

Glad you had a great weekend!
    LOL...I hear ya'. Southern cooking is much like weight training (and other difficult endeavors): we strive for perfection knowing that we will always fall short. The best we can do is to get a little better each time.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your training this week.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I was hoping you'd start journaling here! I'm a little late to the party, but I read fast!

Great food pics(and gym pics), and I enjoyed the pic of you and your son at Home Depot!

I got a chuckle out of your comment on hex-style Olympic plates, too. The knucklehead who came up with that idea had obviously never done a Deadlift in his/her life.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 09-06-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

I like the hiking pics! It reminds me of the Charlottesville area. I'll be doing plenty of hiking there when I return.

Also, I've thought a lot about the use of your resistance bands during your training. I will explore their use for myself one of these days.
    My Workout and Diet Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132284633

2009-2010 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125381851