delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Sodium/Salt= Weight gain?

Ive seen quite a few posts blaming too much salt in a diet for weight gains. Why is this? what causes it? how much salt/sodium is too much? Just looking for a little knowledge here as to why salt/sodium seems to be the devil for weight loss.
    Starting: 345 (Aug 1 10)
    Total Loss- 91.4

tavy87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    salt/sodium causes you to retain water, hence weight gain or a lack of weight loss. it doesn't change how much fat you lose or muscle you build or anything... i could argue for heart health and blood pressure but that's a completely separate issue (and half the things bodybuilders do are unhealthy in that regard anyway). if the main goal is fat loss and muscle gain then don't worry about salts, you need them for good workouts anyway. if you feel bloated just have a good cardio session and sweat it all out!

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    increased sodium intake makes your body retain water.

Really it doesn't matter how much you intake, but rather, you keep your intake levels at a consistent level.

So if you intake 3g per day of sodium and one day you intake 5, you body is likely to retain extra water than it normally does.

And the inverse is usually true as well. Dropping your sodium intake allows your body to release water.

Remember your electrolyte levels are a balance of different minerals and water. They try to be in balance for proper body functions. Increase in sodium means the body has to have more water to dilute the sodium to keep the body at a constant electrolyte level.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) delhi1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by tavy87 View Post
    salt/sodium causes you to retain water, hence weight gain or a lack of weight loss. it doesn't change how much fat you lose or muscle you build or anything... i could argue for heart health and blood pressure but that's a completely separate issue (and half the things bodybuilders do are unhealthy in that regard anyway). if the main goal is fat loss and muscle gain then don't worry about salts, you need them for good workouts anyway. if you feel bloated just have a good cardio session and sweat it all out!
    Ahh that makes much more sense. Water retention is not a big deal for me considering ive been cutting for about 6 months now. I was worried that the sodium intake affected fat loss but if not ill keep throwing my minimal seasonings on eggs/chicken.
    Total Loss- 91.4

Originally Posted by TelusLob View Post
    increased sodium intake makes your body retain water.

Really it doesn't matter how much you intake, but rather, you keep your intake levels at a consistent level.

So if you intake 3g per day of sodium and one day you intake 5, you body is likely to retain extra water than it normally does.

And the inverse is usually true as well. Dropping your sodium intake allows your body to release water.

Remember your electrolyte levels are a balance of different minerals and water. They try to be in balance for proper body functions. Increase in sodium means the body has to have more water to dilute the sodium to keep the body at a constant electrolyte level.
    Thanks for the info. Everytime i see your info i get mad at myself cause since august i took 2 months off and just maintained weight because of christmas/new year traveling and i moved where i lived and didnt have time for the gym. Congrats on your weight loss since august it serves as great motivation for me.
    Total Loss- 91.4

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by delhi1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Everytime i see your info i get mad at myself cause since august i took 2 months off and just maintained weight because of christmas/new year traveling and i moved where i lived and didnt have time for the gym. Congrats on your weight loss since august it serves as great motivation for me.
    Thanks.. I appreciate it.

One of these days, I will post a full story on my journey and maybe some pictures as well. I am hoping to get down to my target goal by beginning of June. Not sure if I will make it or not, but I will bust my azz trying for sure.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget