Gemnye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Specific LeanGains Questions + New here

Hey guys hows it going I'm new here but not necessarily new to training. I've gone through a few different transformations over the past few years all using different methods of eating and training. Most of the time though my results hit a glass ceiling and I never really left what seems to be a comfort zone in terms of perspective. For the most part as my profile says I'm 195 and about 13-14% BF. Ive fluctuated from that to 185 and maybe a little lower than 13% but that part I can't confirm. I've used all types of bro science methodology and about last summer I began to become more fascinated with the idea of IF. I was doing a very very loose version of LeanGains because my ignorance caused me to believe IF was just another name for LeanGains.. stupid mistake I know. Anyways I've done alot more research and now I'm ready to hit the ground running on this because up until now my loose practice has actually yielded me some good-decent results. some days I look leaner than others.. other days I'm on bloat mode all day lol..

When I follow some sort of practice I tend to have very very specific question because I think of alot of variables and free radicals in a theory. I would ask Martin himself if it were possible but cmon we all know thats not going to happen. Anyways I'll lay out a few questions and hopefully some people can answer them to the best of their abilities if not I appreciate any piece of lasting wisdom.

I'm 22 years old ,195(loosely) and 13%
    on a 5x5 routine here are some of my stats

incline bench: 235lb
    flat bench: 225lb(probably higher but I think I burnout from doing Incline as my first workout on chest days)
    Squat: 335lb
    weighted chinups: 45-55lb(on top of bodyweight obviously)
    deadlift:just started literally 2 days ago again after a hiatus so I'm 255 there

These numbers could def improve within the next few months/years. To some these numbers may be irrelevant but I posted them so some other people may have a good gauge of who they're dealing with strength wise so they can help me better.

I'm looking to perform a successful cut.. maybe get down to 10-11% BF or even 12 % if thats what it would take to make me look lean enough. The mirror concerns me more than a hard number in terms of the look.. strength I don't dare try to sacrafice (within reason of course) for a look though. so in other words

1.what BF/weight should I be shooting for on this cut to achieve being lean while not losing (and even enhancing) the strength I got going on up there.

2.I read the rippedbody.jp guide that helps people figure out their macros for leangains. Although he's not martin he is actually providing a bit more math that helps ease my mind from being told "go this far but don't go to far".. I need numbers.. even if I'm just going to round off. So I need to know if when calculating my BMR do I use my current weight? or do I use the desired weight in my formula?

3.Can you guys give me a ballpark of your Macro ratio? obviously not everyone's is the same.. I have my own and I want to compare in terms of frequency of how many people have this and that in a ballpark fashion.

3.I have no trouble hitting my macros but sometimes it seems I'm lacking in calories.. I know its simple math but for whatver Reason A guy like me should be eating around 3100 calories on a training day and 2000 on a rest day.. The rest day Macros are obviously easy. The Training day macros are a bit harder even with straight up scarfing down carbs. Part of this issue might be because Martin instructs us to eat our calories and not drink them. I usually drink 2 diff protein shakes on training day. cytogainer and 2 scoops of pure protein. Now that I'm trying to follow lean gains more carefully it seems the benefits of these shakes have changed for me. Now theyre good for keeping fat low on training days and getting a good amount of carbs also but is the pure protein atleast stopping me from having a more calorie rich/carb rich protein source?(besides it taste like **** compared to alot of other protein shakes I've had).

4.I'm going to post a typical view of my eating window during the week .anyone want to suggest anything in he meantime or post their own eating window mockups to give me some ideas?

That's about it for now I'm sure I'll come up with a thousand more questions.. Hopefully you guys can help out. here are some of my pics taken today so people can get a reference of the weight/BF stated above.

PLEEEASEE let me know if you guys need any more info that will help you answer.
    Attached Images

MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gemnye View Post
    Hey guys hows it going I'm new here but not necessarily new to training. I've gone through a few different transformations over the past few years all using different methods of eating and training. Most of the time though my results hit a glass ceiling and I never really left what seems to be a comfort zone in terms of perspective. For the most part as my profile says I'm 195 and about 13-14% BF. Ive fluctuated from that to 185 and maybe a little lower than 13% but that part I can't confirm. I've used all types of bro science methodology and about last summer I began to become more fascinated with the idea of IF. I was doing a very very loose version of LeanGains because my ignorance caused me to believe IF was just another name for LeanGains.. stupid mistake I know. Anyways I've done alot more research and now I'm ready to hit the ground running on this because up until now my loose practice has actually yielded me some good-decent results. some days I look leaner than others.. other days I'm on bloat mode all day lol..

When I follow some sort of practice I tend to have very very specific question because I think of alot of variables and free radicals in a theory. I would ask Martin himself if it were possible but cmon we all know thats not going to happen. Anyways I'll lay out a few questions and hopefully some people can answer them to the best of their abilities if not I appreciate any piece of lasting wisdom.

I'm 22 years old ,195(loosely) and 13%
    on a 5x5 routine here are some of my stats

incline bench: 235lb
    flat bench: 225lb(probably higher but I think I burnout from doing Incline as my first workout on chest days)
    Squat: 335lb
    weighted chinups: 45-55lb(on top of bodyweight obviously)
    deadlift:just started literally 2 days ago again after a hiatus so I'm 255 there

These numbers could def improve within the next few months/years. To some these numbers may be irrelevant but I posted them so some other people may have a good gauge of who they're dealing with strength wise so they can help me better.

I'm looking to perform a successful cut.. maybe get down to 10-11% BF or even 12 % if thats what it would take to make me look lean enough. The mirror concerns me more than a hard number in terms of the look.. strength I don't dare try to sacrafice (within reason of course) for a look though. so in other words

1.what BF/weight should I be shooting for on this cut to achieve being lean while not losing (and even enhancing) the strength I got going on up there.

2.I read the rippedbody.jp guide that helps people figure out their macros for leangains. Although he's not martin he is actually providing a bit more math that helps ease my mind from being told "go this far but don't go to far".. I need numbers.. even if I'm just going to round off. So I need to know if when calculating my BMR do I use my current weight? or do I use the desired weight in my formula?

3.Can you guys give me a ballpark of your Macro ratio? obviously not everyone's is the same.. I have my own and I want to compare in terms of frequency of how many people have this and that in a ballpark fashion.

3.I have no trouble hitting my macros but sometimes it seems I'm lacking in calories.. I know its simple math but for whatver Reason A guy like me should be eating around 3100 calories on a training day and 2000 on a rest day.. The rest day Macros are obviously easy. The Training day macros are a bit harder even with straight up scarfing down carbs. Part of this issue might be because Martin instructs us to eat our calories and not drink them. I usually drink 2 diff protein shakes on training day. cytogainer and 2 scoops of pure protein. Now that I'm trying to follow lean gains more carefully it seems the benefits of these shakes have changed for me. Now theyre good for keeping fat low on training days and getting a good amount of carbs also but is the pure protein atleast stopping me from having a more calorie rich/carb rich protein source?(besides it taste like **** compared to alot of other protein shakes I've had).

4.I'm going to post a typical view of my eating window during the week .anyone want to suggest anything in he meantime or post their own eating window mockups to give me some ideas?

That's about it for now I'm sure I'll come up with a thousand more questions.. Hopefully you guys can help out. here are some of my pics taken today so people can get a reference of the weight/BF stated above.

PLEEEASEE let me know if you guys need any more info that will help you answer.
    I use intermittent fasting on accident.

Before I go any further, I must say that meal timing doesn't matter. I only use that protocol because it is convenient and I love huge meals.

You are 15+% bodyfat and the main thing you should pick up from lean gains website is "simplify" this isn't hard. Martin may stress eat calories, but, some people can't. Eat when your hungry... Meal timing doesn't matter... I tend to eat one or two times a day.

I will make this about me, since I follow this IF religiously from 2pm till 10 pm everyday, and the thing is... I don't do it because of IF benefits...

Simplify it. Follow the protocol because it's easy to follow.

I don't fluctuate my calories I eat 2600 calories every day, my first meal is usually 1500- 2k calories.

Usually 400grams of chicken and 300gs of rice... I eat anything so long as it fits macros.

Sometimes I'm not hungry and I use shakes... It's not a problem, I still lose 1.6 lbs a week and have been cutting for 8 weeks now.

Use myfitnesspal and a food scale.

LOOK AT my myfitnesspal accout for food ideas... I eat the most ridiculous meals, make them tasy as hell and hit my macros.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/maudemoo

Scroll through my days to see some foods, grab some ideas.

Grab a pizza base, throw barbeque sauce on there grill 1 chicken breast and add some chicken breast and a serving of cheese, BOOM.

150g Carb 33Fat 90Protein - Yummy barbeque chicken pizza.

Try just eating the same calories everyday, try my macros even...

195p 58f 325c - 2600 calories. 3 Cardio sessions + training = 1.6 lbs per week for me.

Try it, make it simple. Conquer dieting.
    Last edited by MaudeMoo; 01-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Current Lifts

Squat 415
    Deadlift 455
    Bench 280

Champions are made when no one is watching. ~ Unknown

Originally Posted by MaudeMoo View Post
    I use intermittent fasting on accident.

Before I go any further, I must say that meal timing doesn't matter. I only use that protocol because it is convenient and I love huge meals.

You are 15+% bodyfat and the main thing you should pick up from lean gains website is "simplify" this isn't hard. Martin may stress eat calories, but, some people can't. Eat when your hungry... Meal timing doesn't matter... I tend to eat one or two times a day.

I will make this about me, since I follow this IF religiously from 2pm till 10 pm everyday, and the thing is... I don't do it because of IF benefits...

Simplify it. Follow the protocol because it's easy to follow.

I don't fluctuate my calories I eat 2600 calories every day, my first meal is usually 1500- 2k calories.

Usually 400grams of chicken and 300gs of rice... I eat anything so long as it fits macros.

Sometimes I'm not hungry and I use shakes... It's not a problem, I still lose 1.6 lbs a week and have been cutting for 8 weeks now.

Use myfitnesspal and a food scale.

LOOK AT my myfitnesspal accout for food ideas... I eat the most ridiculous meals, make them tasy as hell and hit my macros.

Scroll through my days to see some foods, grab some ideas.

Grab a pizza base, throw barbeque sauce on there grill 1 chicken breast and add some chicken breast and a serving of cheese, BOOM.

150g Carb 33Fat 90Protein - Yummy barbeque chicken pizza.

Try just eating the same calories everyday, try my macros even...

195p 58f 325c - 2600 calories. 3 Cardio sessions + training = 1.6 lbs per week for me.

Try it, make it simple. Conquer dieting.

Thanks for a speedy reply bro. I fast from 1am-5Pm so it works out in terms of social life and work and even gym scheduling. and I love the big meals also so no need to sorry there lol.. My meal frequency isn't a huge issue for me.. i'm curious though you said i'm 15% body fat? Was that an error or thats what you think my pictures reflect? Because I'm pretty sure i'm lower than 15.. Also I have the food scale thing downpacked since the summer.. simplification is cool with me .. And props on your dedication

One thing though.. You say don't stress the calories cuz some people can't eat them.. I Have no problem wanting to eat 3000cals.. Its just I keep falling significantly short you know

metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Without answering your questions since I am on my phone. You are not 13% in the attached pictures I would go 17%.

Your definition is not there for 13%. My avi is around 13%.
    Life is easy when you take personal responsibility
    MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

I don't do limits.

MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaudeMoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for a speedy reply bro. I fast from 1am-5Pm so it works out in terms of social life and work and even gym scheduling. and I love the big meals also so no need to sorry there lol.. My meal frequency isn't a huge issue for me.. i'm curious though you said i'm 15% body fat? Was that an error or thats what you think my pictures reflect? Because I'm pretty sure i'm lower than 15.. Also I have the food scale thing downpacked since the summer.. simplification is cool with me .. And props on your dedication

One thing though.. You say don't stress the calories cuz some people can't eat them.. I Have no problem wanting to eat 3000cals.. Its just I keep falling significantly short you know

I don't understand I guess, If one would love to eat 3000 calories. I would find it hard to believe that falling short would be easy? You fall short, why?

P.S Just from a visual you are around 15% BF That guy's avi above me looks like 11.5%
    Last edited by MaudeMoo; 01-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Current Lifts

Squat 415
    Deadlift 455
    Bench 280

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're making it way complicated mate. Just establish your deficit and cutting macros, then compress it all into an 8 hour window. If you want to eat more on lift days and less on rest days, go ahead. You need adequate protein and fat on both types of days, so you're probably going to end up just eating lower carb on rest days.

Your basic setup is 20% calorie deficit, 1g protein/lb LBM, 0.45g fat, rest from carbs, done.

It's true that Martin advises very high protein every day (1.5g/lb), with higher fat/lower carbs on rest days, and lower fat/higher carbs on lift days. If you want to go to that level of tweaking, you can, but personally I think it's past the point of diminished returns.

Sorry for not replying fast enough fellas even though you guys have been helpful in your own way.. I'll post a few typical eating windows now so you can understand how I fall short.. I tweaked my meals last night to give it an extra kick so maybe I can stop bitching about undershooting so much

training days I should be eating around 3000 calories.. i try to keep my macros in this range:

185 P (or more)
    25-50 F(even though I dont like to into this upper range)
    400s C (in other word low to mid 400g of carbs)

rest days I need to go around 2100 calories

185 P(or more)
    40-60 F
    150-200C

so monday (january 14th) I tweaked it like this:

scrambled eggs (3 white 1 whole) 150cal 17p 9f 2c

7oz of chuck steak 450cal 60p 20f

10oz of mashed potatoes 279cal 6p 10f 60c

1oz of peanuts 160cal 7p 14f 6c

10oz chicken breast 440cal 80p 0f 0c

that came out to about 1500cal 180p 63f and 148c

tuesday(january 15th) was a training day so I went:

wheat bagel 250cal 12p 2f 49c

1oz of cheese 110cal 7p 9f 0c

3 serv of brown rice 450cal 9p 3f 96c

2 serv of pinto beans 160cal 8p 1f 28c

5oz chicken breast 220cal 40p 0f 0c

cytogainer 560cal 54p 4f 76c

pure protein shake 300cal 50p 5f 6c

banana 120cal 1-1.5p .5f 31c

eggs(same as above) 150cal 17p 9f 0c

comes out to about 2321cal 197p 33f and 288c

wed(january16th) a rest day I went this way:

wheat bagel 250cal 12p 2f 49c

7oz of chuck steak 450cal 60p 20f

banana 120cal 1-1.5p .5f 31c

5oz chicken breast 220cal 40p 0f 0c

1oz of cheese 110cal 7p 9f 0c

1oz mixed nuts 170cal 5p 16f 6c

came out to around 1400cal+ 185p (I know i ate something else later undocumentated to reach 185 and not 140p) 57f and 84+C

Yesturday though (january 17th) I think I did the best especially considering it was a training day:

6 servings of brown rice 900cal 18p 6f 192c

1 serv of pinto beans 80cal 4p .5f 14c

2 bananas 240cal 2-5p 1f 62c

10oz chicken breast 440cal 80p 0f 0c

cytogainer 560cal 54p 4f 76c

wheat wrap 130cal 4p 3f 22c

hotpocket(cuz i needed to fill up the calories lol) 320 11p 13f 40c

came out to 2821cal 191p 37f 404c

somewhere in those 4 days I had a poptart too to make up some calories.. lol.. when I look like it I think that extra protein shake hinders me on training days cuz it causes me to hit me protein range faster which means it restricts everything else.. but yeah those are some typical meals.. some now tweaked since I'm actually paying attention to fat macros and whatnot.. btw.. weighed myself this morning at 193.8 lbs.. i prob got the whoosh effect going on.. I don't think its any real weight loss prob just poop and water weight lol.. but let me know if I Got a healthy deficit/intake calorie wise going on and please please don't hesitate to suggest a different set of foods/meals.. unfortunatley I don't consume greens.. they really do make me gag.. except spinach.. its alright.. but def let me know what I can do to improve this maybe better macro ratio on rest days and train days?
    Last edited by Gemnye; 01-18-2013 at 03:56 PM.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry, didn't read the whole thing - a bit to long and I'm short on time. If you want to see what Martin actually does with his clients, check out the leangains thread on something awful. Some folks that hired him more recently have put up examples. His macros are a lot differerent than what people think - really high protein and really low fat - like 300+grams of protein and 40-ish grams of fat.

Also, Martin doesn't use huge calorie swings. He did when he started, but doesn't anymore.

Originally Posted by jimsmith9999 View Post
    Sorry, didn't read the whole thing - a bit to long and I'm short on time. If you want to see what Martin actually does with his clients, check out the leangains thread on something awful. Some folks that hired him more recently have put up examples. His macros are a lot differerent than what people think - really high protein and really low fat - like 300+grams of protein and 40-ish grams of fat.

Also, Martin doesn't use huge calorie swings. He did when he started, but doesn't anymore.
    thats okay thanks for a reply at all. I'll check that out

save your protein shakes for night time. Buy fat free pretzels - Snyders of hanover for carbs to fill macros.

If I'm low on fat I either add tablespoons of olive oil 14g fat per tblspn or white cheddar popcorn 21carbs 30gfat 8 protein

If I'm low on carbs - Pretzels or anything you want...

If I'm low on protein - Canned tuna, chicken or protein shake

What makes you miss your macros? Hit your macros or else your metabolism will slow down too quickly. Up your fats or else you'll find your hormones going crazy. your fats shouldn't really ever go below 50 grams. anyone who has ever done contest prep knows this. Healthy fats can help you lose fat faster believe it or not.
    Current Lifts

Squat 415
    Deadlift 455
    Bench 280

save your protein shakes for night time. Buy fat free pretzels - Snyders of hanover for carbs to fill macros.

If I'm low on fat I either add tablespoons of olive oil 14g fat per tblspn or white cheddar popcorn 21carbs 30gfat 8 protein

If I'm low on carbs - Pretzels or anything you want...

If I'm low on protein - Canned tuna, chicken or protein shake

What makes you miss your macros? Hit your macros or else your metabolism will slow down too quickly. Up your fats or else you'll find your hormones going crazy. your fats shouldn't really ever go below 50 grams. anyone who has ever done contest prep knows this. Healthy fats can help you lose fat faster believe it or not.

hmm no lower than 50 grams of fat?.. can I get a consensus from anyone here on that?.. Sounds conveniant actually if thats the case.. and naw I don't have a prob hitting my macros.. just hitting my calories.. because if you looked at what I ate alot of it was dense in carbs and proteins and fats and all that good stuff but the calories never really added up for my daily allotment of 3000+(training days) and 2100(Rest days).. but then again me waking up 193lb today prob lets me know what I had going on this week might work a bit..

hmm no lower than 50 grams of fat?.. can I get a consensus from anyone here on that?.. Sounds conveniant actually if thats the case.. and naw I don't have a prob hitting my macros.. just hitting my calories.. because if you looked at what I ate alot of it was dense in carbs and proteins and fats and all that good stuff but the calories never really added up for my daily allotment of 3000+(training days) and 2100(Rest days).. but then again me waking up 193lb today prob lets me know what I had going on this week might work a bit..
    Dude, if you are hitting your macros then you are hitting your calories, provided your calories match your macros.

IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THIS PART
    EVERY MACRO NUTRIENT HAS A SPECIFIED CALORIE

Carb = 4 calories
    Protein = 4 calories
    Fat = 9 calories.

Never once has a calorie label on the nutrition label of a pop tart box or canned chicken put
    calories that were not already rounded.

Beef Jerky has 0 Carbs 2g Fat and 27g Protein per serving size

It says its 130 Calories but actually has 126.

They always round up or down. Alright.

If your macros doesnt match your calories then you're doing something wrong, something like math.

185 P (or more)

If your macros are

185P 400C and 50fat = 2790 Kcal

Your macros don't even match your estimated calories.
    If you want 3000 calories your macros should be this

200g protein 438g Carb 50g fat. = 3004 Calories

If you want 2100 Calories your macros should be this

190 Protein 200 Carb 60 Fat = 2100 Calories exactly.

Understand?
    Last edited by MaudeMoo; 01-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Current Lifts

Squat 415
    Deadlift 455
    Bench 280

Dude, if you are hitting your macros then you are hitting your calories.

Carb = 4 calories Protein = 4 calories Fat = 9 calories. If your macros doesnt match your calories then you're doing something wrong, something like math.

185 P (or more)

If your macros are

185P 400C and 50fat = 2790 Kcal

Your macros don't even match your estimated calories.

If you want 3000 calories your macros should be this

200g protein 438g Carb 50g fat. = 3004 Calories. Got it?
    whats crazy is.. this past thursday the numbers added up beautifully.. but those other days idk wth is going on.. I guess the websites I'm getting the sources from aren't accurate.. but sometimes I get lot of that info straight from the labels.. so somethings up here.. but yeah I agree they should be adding up. now I have to figure out watsup with my math

don't know what the rep protocol/etiquette is just yet but I think that simplification deserves one lol
    Last edited by Gemnye; 01-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.

bump for progress lol..

so I've been floating around at 194.4lbs the past week or so.. which to me is a good sign because it shows that I'm either on my way to dropping maybe a 1lb a week.. or it shows I'm eating exactly for maintence.. these are great things either way because if I am correctly dropping in weight(while gaining in strength of course) then I'm good to go and maybe will need slight tweaking as I go along. now if I'm only maintaining (while gaining in strength) then to me that's also great because it will give me a better idea of how much more tweaking I need to do on my calories/macros.. so if anyone has any feedback please feel free

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Didn't read the whole thread but I think I get the gist. I am assuming you are eating workout calories 3 days a week and rest calories 4 days. That averages you at 2500 calories a day. That might work at first but I'm not sure how much you are going to be able to cut at that number. Your fats overall are too low. Andy Morgan himself recently stated that he needs to update his guidelines because he was putting people on too little fat. I would want to average a minimum of 70 grams of fat a day if I was you. I have done IF for about a year now. Originally I did it like you are with the low fat high carb on WO days and the opposite on rest days. I don't do that anymore. I just eat the same every day. There is literally no difference in the effect on my body. I believe when Martin set up that protocol it was mostly for already lean guys to do a body recomp. If you are above single digit bodyfat, there is really no need to do the carb cycling. That being said it won't hurt you as long as your weekly macro breakdown is correct. But the way you are currently going you are averaging about 50ish grams of fat a day which I would consider a little low for someone your size. I just found it was hard to meal plan because I was never able to eat things with moderately high fat and moderately high carb which is basically the tastiest foods. It is also just so much simpler to eat the same macros every day. Also if you want to train more then 3 days a week you don't have to change your calories and macros all around. I remember stressing a lot to make the carb cycling part of the diet work and I have come to find out it really is not all that important. Also I agree with others your BF % is roughly 15 or 16.
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One more thing. Make sure you eat at least 0.4g fat per lean body mass in pounds.

You actually need it. It is essential fat to keep your hormones level intact and for your body to function.

Remember fat does not make you fat, excess calories does.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Awesome replies fellas.. So heres another thing since I'm still in the process of adjusting..Another question Do I eat enough protein for my current LBM? Or my current weight ? Cuz I'm eating 185g for now.. Been doing that for while .. Still lifting heavy just fine.. And as an estimate.. What weight should I drop down to be at 10-12% BF.. Or is it just a matter of the mirror.. i usually do a mix between strength/mirror/scale.. i know just hard numbers are skewed without context

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Awesome replies fellas.. So heres another thing since I'm still in the process of adjusting..Another question Do I eat enough protein for my current LBM? Or my current weight ? Cuz I'm eating 185g for now.. Been doing that for while .. Still lifting heavy just fine.. And as an estimate.. What weight should I drop down to be at 10-12% BF.. Or is it just a matter of the mirror.. i usually do a mix between strength/mirror/scale.. i know just hard numbers are skewed without context
    For protein you should eat a gram per lb of lean body mass as a minimum. More is fine it simply isn't needed. Just cut until you like the way you look. Bodyfat will always be an estimate unless you get a dexascan so just cut until you're happy.
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    For protein you should eat a gram per lb of lean body mass as a minimum. More is fine it simply isn't needed. Just cut until you like the way you look. Bodyfat will always be an estimate unless you get a dexascan so just cut until you're happy.
    My insurance actually covers dexascans too but I want to Drop a bit before I go get one

Btw I'll post this past weeks meal log to see how its all coming together

I've been running a few numbers.. If I'm 14+ percent body fat my LBM is 155-165 so should I be adjusting my macros and cals for that? Or do they look good where they at (I took everyones advice on fats into consideration.. I mean all the #s as a whole)

skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skh2009 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been running a few numbers.. If I'm 14+ percent body fat my LBM is 155-165 so should I be adjusting my macros and cals for that? Or do they look good where they at (I took everyones advice on fats into consideration.. I mean all the #s as a whole)
    no use the macros for your body weight not your LBM
    Be Alpha

Hey guys just a little update.. Weight been floating around 192-193.. Still don't know what that means but lifts are steadily maintaining/growing... Just switched gyms cuz i graduated so now
    i'm at a paid membership gym so my lifts suffered a bit but I attributed this to switching gyms.. Last time I switched from those two gyms (super storm sandy really messed things up at my school gym) I fluxuated in lifts both times so I'm not worried.

Anyways.. Now I'm also going to track my bodyfat trends using scoobys workshop method.. Got the skinfold calipers and all that.. I know its not error free just looking to have numerical data on everyday of my progress or lack of progress.. Anyone got any tips for the skinfold measurements? its kind of hard for me to grab enough skin for some of the measuremets cuz I feel like all I'm grabbing is muscle and my fingers slip off the skin lol

iight so it's been about a month(more like 3 weeks) since I created the thread.. heres some updated pics.. stayed on this since janauary 16th:

rest days:
    2100cal
    Protein 185g
    fats 60-100g
    Carbs roughly 200g

workout day:
    3100cal
    Protein 185g
    fats 38-60g
    Carbs roughly 430g

The pictures to me seem without progress.. or so minimal I can't see much of a change.. if anything I feel like I gained fat .. but I could just be too hard on myself. Also still trying to get the hang of measuring my body fat with the calipers but right now I'm hanging around 14% bodyfat .. so hopefully after another month I'll get the hang of that.. feedback greatly appreciated as you guys did before

on RPT (my top sets all ranging from 6-8):

Deadlift:285x5

Weighted Chinup: 50x8

Incline bench:250x3

Flat Bench:250x

Squat:345x4

more updates feb 16th
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Gemnye; 02-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.