Sistah7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ab exercises make your stomach bigger? Huh :/

One of the trainers at the gym told me that my doing ab exercises will just make my stomach stick out more . Is that true?

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you are bulking/and or an endo.

Doesn't really matter, your stomach size is 90% about the amount of fat on your abs, not your ab muscles itself.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sistah7 View Post
    One of the trainers at the gym told me that my doing ab exercises will just make my stomach stick out more . Is that true?
    Like most trainers at Gyms, whoever told you that is boarderline mentally handicapped.

Ab movements will strengthen your abs, they could cause your abdominal muscles to grow (albeit very sightly as they are not big muscles to start with). If you're fat and you add some volume to your abs, it could look like your stomach is sticking out more. It's not because of your abs though; it's because you're still fat.

Some guys don't like to train obliques because when they grow, depending on the cut of your clothing, it can make you look fatter than you are. I think this is equally retarded.

Bottom line: I'm not a big direct ab work guy for other reasons. But, I do beleive in working the core. If you don't, you'll be sorry later.

Tell your trainer that he/she should find a different career path, maybe something that requires him to stretch his brain a bit.....perhaps cleaning out Horse Stables...
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"

Sistah7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL okay thanks. I do want to strengthen my core so Ill just keep on doing what I'm going.

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do ab exercises and im cutting and the only thing its done is made me look leaner and harder in the stomach area, im also an endo.

Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cape1 View Post
    Like most trainers at Gyms, whoever told you that is boarderline mentally handicapped.

Ab movements will strengthen your abs, they could cause your abdominal muscles to grow (albeit very sightly as they are not big muscles to start with). If you're fat and you add some volume to your abs, it could look like your stomach is sticking out more. It's not because of your abs though; it's because you're still fat.

Some guys don't like to train obliques because when they grow, depending on the cut of your clothing, it can make you look fatter than you are. I think this is equally retarded.

Bottom line: I'm not a big direct ab work guy for other reasons. But, I do beleive in working the core. If you don't, you'll be sorry later.

Tell your trainer that he/she should find a different career path, maybe something that requires him to stretch his brain a bit.....perhaps cleaning out Horse Stables...
    This is almost an answer to my question...

I am losing fat/weight I still have a gut.I do cardio 6 days a week and I'm lifting 5. I only do 1 exercise for abs every other day. Should I be doing more or waiting until I cut more fat to concentrate more on abs?

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^ That

ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ddnguyen96 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

In my earlier years, I used to not train abs because I didn't want my waist to get thick...silly I know, but it made sense to me back then :/
    This led to my abs not being as developed as the rest of my body so I had to play catchup for a while.
    Guest blog post on Suppversity
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-student-spotlight-duong.html

Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phrankoff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So should I be doing more ab exercises while I'm still losing fat or wait?
    Like I said I still need to drop 10-15 pounds of goo.

I don't know when I should stop trying to lose weight and start trying to build muscle

TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSugarfoot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you do them incorrectly they can possibly affect your posture in a way that might cause your stomach to stick out a bit. Their is a muscle that sometimes gets neglected when doing ab exercise improperly that can remedy this (I think its the transverse abdominis? can't remember). Basically focus on pushing your belly button in towards your spine instead of out when doing your crunches etc and they will help you get that concave look.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you can not do.

Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Phrankoff View Post
    So should I be doing more ab exercises while I'm still losing fat or wait?
    Like I said I still need to drop 10-15 pounds of goo.

I don't know when I should stop trying to lose weight and start trying to build muscle
    Work your abs.
    If you work them out they will only get stronger. You just can't see them because they are covered in fat.
    Would you stop working your your biceps and triceps because there is fat around them? No. Not me at least.

Originally Posted by Joe HadEID View Post
    Work your abs.
    If you work them out they will only get stronger. You just can't see them because they are covered in fat.
    Would you stop working your your biceps and triceps because there is fat around them? No. Not me at least.
    I guess I never thought of it that way. After reading on the forums I have come to understand six packs, flat stomachs and whatnot are a result of not only dedication but body fat percentage. So I sort of put them on the wayside because I obviously have a high body fat percentage and need to lose more weight first.

Part of me thought that my abs would be getting worked out from so much cardio, I suppose not so much.

I will add on more exercises than just crunches next workout.

Thanks for responding.

Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe HadEID has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Phrankoff View Post
    I guess I never thought of it that way. After reading on the forums I have come to understand six packs, flat stomachs and whatnot are a result of not only dedication but body fat percentage. So I sort of put them on the wayside because I obviously have a high body fat percentage and need to lose more weight first.

Part of me thought that my abs would be getting worked out from so much cardio, I suppose not so much.

I will add on more exercises than just crunches next workout.

Thanks for responding.
    Well I never said that your statements are not true. I just answered your question on whether you should work them out or not.
    In the end, if you want to see abs, you got to lose the fat. So, yes, you are right. But that does not mean you shouldn't work them out.

phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000) phamine is just really nice. (+1000)
    I gained an inch on my waist and hips since I resumed lifting while losing 2% BF.
    I have been doing squats and deadlifts twice a week for the past 8 weeks though which I read attributes to a bigger waist.

valeried300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all, love this question & would really appreciate an answer from someone who knows what they are talking about, I am doing alot of weight lifting 3-4days pw/ cardio 3-4days/ abs 5 days, want definition in my abs and I am getting that but I am also getting a thicker/bigger belly which is worrying for me, my bf is around 18-20% & will not go down as I enjoy a good life & am not willing to sacrifice on that, but I train my ass off to make up 4 that, my calorie intake is around 18000 perday which I think I need as apart from training I am always on the go and also I am trying to bulk up on ass so dont want to slow this process by cutting calories, am just getting confused with all this, have trained so hard to get abs & now they are starting to appear but so is a thicker/bigger belly! please give me suggestions...thanks

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by valeried300 View Post
    my calorie intake is around 18000 perday
    say what now?
    May 3 - 183 ; May 10 - 181; May 17 - 181; May 24 - 181; May 30 - 178.5 ; Jun 7 - 176.5; Jun 14 - 174.5; Jun 20 - 173;
    Jun 28 - 172.5; July 5th - 171; July 12th - 171; July 19 - 170;

Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Compy386 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yah man. 18000 it's a lot of calories!
    Started 2013: 450 lbs
    Success 2014: 270 lbs
    Failure 2015-2016: 375 lbs
    Old Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163377891

Starting again.