Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lower back sore from squats

I know this has probably been asked but I couldn't find it searching.

So my lower back gets sore after squating. It's right above my butt in the center. It's definitely a muscle soreness. It doesn't hurt while doing the squat but right after. Usually goes away the next day.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?

victor12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) victor12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) victor12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by danato138 View Post
    I know this has probably been asked but I couldn't find it searching.

So my lower back gets sore after squating. It's right above my butt in the center. It's definitely a muscle soreness. It doesn't hurt while doing the squat but right after. Usually goes away the next day.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?
    Squats workout your lower back as well.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have to stabilize with your core. Your lower back is part of your core. Therefore you will also be working lower back , indirectly, when squatting. Another factor that may come into play is that your form may be incorrect. Thus you may be overloading your low back during certain portions of the lift.

Sometimes as you progressively overload(ie: become stronger & increase the intensity) your stabilizing musculature may lag behind a bit from the Prime movers. Thus, the low back soreness.

There are many factors that come into play here. It is very hard to pin point without seeing you squat.

danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danato138 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was under the impression that it meant I was doing something wrong.

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    You have to stabilize with your core. Your lower back is part of your core. Therefore you will also be working lower back , indirectly, when squatting. Another factor that may come into play is that your form may be incorrect. Thus you may be overloading your low back during certain portions of the lift.

Sometimes as you progressively overload(ie: become stronger & increase the intensity) your stabilizing musculature may lag behind a bit from the Prime movers. Thus, the low back soreness.

There are many factors that come into play here. It is very hard to pin point without seeing you squat.

yeah Im working on getting a vid. I'm doing rippetoe's and have only been squating for like 3 weeks. I made sure to get my form down before uping the weight so I don't think my form is bad. I could be wrong though

NYPDCalvin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NYPDCalvin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NYPDCalvin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NYPDCalvin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Its normal, my lower back got sore when I first started squatting. Just keep at it and your back will catch up.

DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    front squats would lessen the stress on the lower back...

xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) xk5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your lower back can definitely get sore on squats even with correct form.

I have had a couple instances though where on my last rep I did essentially a "good morning" and then it got REAL sore .

When I was doing Rippetoe's I found that the constant increase in my squat weight and doing 5 rep maxes was very taxing on the back due to the heavy weight and if your form breaks down on a 5RM it can be rather unpleasant. And then there's the deadlifts half the time as well! Lately I've been doing a 10-12 max on a different program and it doesn't seem to bug my back as much, if I do botch the form on my last rep it's not gonna kill me.

As the poster above said your back may need some time to catch up since you are just starting to squat, a couple times on that program I actually held my weight the same the next time even though I had done 3x5 because I felt like my form wasn't ideal...
    Last edited by xk5; 08-15-2009 at 05:09 AM.

JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    do you wear a belt?

I would wear a belt when squatting, it helps a lot

maybe work on form?

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Stretch your hamstrings between warm up sets and it will help alot.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Thanks for all the replies. So maybe I shouldn't be so worried about it then. My lower back is definitely not one of my strong points. I'm gonna try to get a video Monday and see what that can tell me.

100% Natural Bodybuilder SB100%Natural's Avatar
    SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10) SB100%Natural is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by danato138 View Post
    I was under the impression that it meant I was doing something wrong.
    Hard to see if you are doing anything wrong without video. Lower back soreness is normal when you start doing squats, especially if you lack flexibility and haveis a lot of forward lean in your technique. If the problem isn't due to excessive forward lean, then you probably just have a weak lower back which will in time get stronger and the lower back soreness should become less of an issue.

General muscles soreness in the lower back after squatting is nothing serious.

Originally Posted by SB100%Natural View Post
    Hard to see if you are doing anything wrong without video. Lower back soreness is normal when you start doing squats, especially if you lack flexibility and haveis a lot of forward lean in your technique. If the problem isn't due to excessive forward lean, then you probably just have a weak lower back which will in time get stronger and the lower back soreness should become less of an issue.

General muscles soreness in the lower back after squatting is nothing serious.
    I probably do lean a little to much. Thanks for the advice.

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Doing squats with weight on your back causes your spinal erectors to maintain heavy isometric contraction for an extended period of time. This is a good thing. Spinal erectors are designed for this kind of work. Squats will strengthen your lower back. Soreness is totally normal. You've applied a heavy stress to the low back muscles, which it will adapt to by becoming stronger.
    The more you know, the more you squat.
    Raw 1RM's: 455 Squat, 450 Deadlift, 225 Bench

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    absolutley noone is completely upright when squatting, forward lean is normal

stretching hips and hamstrings will reduce strain by forcing the correct muscles to do the job

you should arch your lower back and keep your upper back, core and glutes tight

a belt helps but shouldn't be used as a crutch

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't know how long you've been lifting, but you learn to listen to your body after a while.

There are two kinds of pain you need to understand, especially if you do squats.

There is that general soreness pain...it doesn't hurt but you're stiff, sore and move a bit slower. Generally accepted as a side effect of pushing yourself past the comfort level or trying something new.

Then there is strain pain...strain pain hurts when you make certain moves...and it just plain hurts. It feels like something is "wrong" or you "strained yourself" or "popped something". This means you did something wrong...the severity of the pain and how long it lasts indicate whether you need to take it easy or seek medical attention.

Anyway, like other people said...when you first start doing squats, you get sore in all sorts of places because this exercise is serious business. Make sure you get your form down cold because this exercise, while awesome for growth, can mess you up if you do it wrong.

agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agurkas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my case, I fixed my lower back issue with squats by using a machine to work lower back every day I work out. This way I got those spinal erector muscles getting used the fact I will be hammering them. Especially when you are just starting out, spinal erectors are darn weak.
    Got to get those muscles used to being loaded at those angles.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As mentioned your lower back is heavily involved in this lift.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Piano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also get this

THE HEAVY IRON SQUAD,CUZZ ygbodybuilder10's Avatar
    ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ygbodybuilder10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i just started doing back squats again some weeks ago and aftet i was done i remember why i had stop, my lower back was tight as hell.

THATS WHY I FUC-K WITH FRONT AQUATS

Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100) Grimbeard is not very well liked. (-100)
    i found that tightening my stomach and back when i squat has reduced the lower back soreness significantly.

Finally got a video. I'll post it in a few if it lets me.

Here's two videos let me know what you think. The weight is 185

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Looks fine to me, though I have to say taking off your shoes might help your balance a little bit.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000) derekk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    depends if hes got running shoes, i cant tell. if the shoes are flat, they shouldnt be a problem.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    can't watch the videos at work.

If you use a high bar for squat, then you will feel more pressure on your lower back than a low bar.

However, your lower back is involved in the lift to hold everything tight. Having muscle soreness should lessen as you get more used to the lift.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When doing squats you have to know the difference between a lower back injury or your lower back getting pumped. Some people cannot take the pump and think they must be doing something wrong or are just overall weak minded.

As for your videos, drop the weight so that you can break parallel. I can tell in the second video that you want to go deeper, but just don't have confidence in making it out of the hole for all of the repetitions. Make sure to stay tight throughout the whole movement.
    Last edited by FullMetal; 08-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
    Women love money, the thing between your thighs, and a very impressive back squat

Originally Posted by derekk1 View Post
    depends if hes got running shoes, i cant tell. if the shoes are flat, they shouldnt be a problem.
    They're cross training shoes. So yeah kinda like running shoes. As for squatting in socks I think I'd feel kinda weird being in socks in the gym.

Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
    When doing squats you have to know the difference between a lower back injury or your lower back getting pumped. Some people cannot take the pump and think they must be doing something wrong or are just overall weak minded.

As for your videos, drop the weight so that you can break parallel. I can tell in the second video that you want to go deeper, but just don't have confidence in making it out of the hole for all of the repetitions. Make sure to stay tight throughout the whole movement.
    Will try

FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FullMetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like how this one gets moved, yet the thread just posting retarded .gifs stays in the exercise section.
    Women love money, the thing between your thighs, and a very impressive back squat

RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    Stretch your hamstrings between warm up sets and it will help alot.
    x2 I found that when I started to focus on flexibility my lower back soreness went down and was able to squat and deadlift heavy withing a couple of days which I was unable to do before.