leafy13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I eating enough to make strength gains?

I'm 15, my weight changes frequently throughout the day but in the morning on an empty stomach I'm 124 lbs. Just a while ago I was 116 lbs and I've gained 8 pounds in the last few weeks. It doesn't look like I'm getting fat, so it's probably noob gains. Anyways, I've been having 3300 calories and 3.5 litres of water a day. It this the right amount for me or should I lower it or raise it? Thanks in advance guys. Just for additional info I play play ice hockey and I sprint the 100m and 200m.

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by leafy13 View Post
    I'm 15, my weight changes frequently throughout the day but in the morning on an empty stomach I'm 124 lbs. Just a while ago I was 116 lbs and I've gained 8 pounds in the last few weeks. It doesn't look like I'm getting fat, so it's probably noob gains. Anyways, I've been having 3300 calories and 3.5 litres of water a day. It this the right amount for me or should I lower it or raise it? Thanks in advance guys. Just for additional info I play play ice hockey and I sprint the 100m and 200m.
    What is your nutrition intake besides just calories..There is more to it than that..Post us your daily nutrition intake, calories, fats, carbs, and protein so we can see what you are lacking etc..Do you lift? and what is your routine..Need more info so we can all help ya

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    calculate your BMR.

Like the above poster said, there is more to it than just the amount of calories. Macros play a huge role too. You also need to know your activity level to determine your calorie intake.

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    calculate your BMR.

Like the above poster said, there is more to it than just the amount of calories. Macros play a huge role too. You also need to know your activity level to determine your calorie intake.
    This ^^^^ And here is a vid to make it easier to count em if you are overwhelmed from what all you read youtube.com/watch?v=kDTJGcnjSN8

For my macros, I'm having 50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% Fat. All healthy foods like chicken, almonds, fish, whole grains, flaxseeds, etc. I lift 4 times a week, mainly squats, deadlifts and shoulder presses. In addition, I play hockey 3 times a week in the season which is starting now and am on the track 5 times a week during track season which is ending. I'll get my BMR asap.

So BMR is around 1590. Thoughts?

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For my macros, I'm having 50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% Fat. All healthy foods like chicken, almonds, fish, whole grains, flaxseeds, etc. I lift 4 times a week, mainly squats, deadlifts and shoulder presses. In addition, I play hockey 3 times a week in the season which is starting now and am on the track 5 times a week during track season which is ending. I'll get my BMR asap.
    So BMR is around 1590. Thoughts?
    yes your bmr is about 1600. But that isnt the amount of calories you should eat. That is just the amount of calories your body burns to be alive, awake, sleeping, walking around the house, etc. You now need to take that number and multiply it by the harris benedict activity level. That will estimate the amount of total calories you will burn in a day.

HARRIS BENEDICT FORMULA:
    little or no exercise : = BMR x 1.2
    light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week : = BMR x 1.375
    moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week : = BMR x 1.55
    hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : = BMR x 1.725
    very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training : =BMR x 1.9

So I am guessing you will fall somewhere between the 1.55 factor and the 1.725 factor. So your maintenance level is going to be somewhere between 2400-2800. Especially on days you workout and hockey practice. On off days, it doesnt need to be that much. It could be closer the the base bmr of 1600. And if you are trying to gain muscle, then you are going to want to eat around around 500 or 20% above that maintenance level. So your aim should be above 3,000. You are only 15, so you need to take advantage of these skyrocketing testosterone years. "Cutting" shouldnt at all be in your plans. Eating, lifting and speed work should be your focus.

also, even though you are an athlete, your carb% is too high. Your protein% is definitely too low. Especially being an athlete. And I would also up the fat%.
    Last edited by SDOptimist; 10-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.

AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10) AntNazgul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^ What optimist said, this is just a base to calculate your activity factor into account.