zombie32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Female bodybuilding - where do I begin!

I need advice on where to begin as far as becoming a bodybuider. I started to go to them gym but it's very hard to stay motivated. I feel tired all of the time, I'd really like to be more energenic. I do need to work on my diet and I did take nutrition classes so I have no excuse to eat bad even though I do. I need advise on suppliments as far as multivitamin, muscle building protein? All the threads are great in here and I'm hoping to get some great advise.

Thanks!

PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by zombie32 View Post
    I need advice on where to begin as far as becoming a bodybuider. I started to go to them gym but it's very hard to stay motivated. I feel tired all of the time, I'd really like to be more energenic. I do need to work on my diet and I did take nutrition classes so I have no excuse to eat bad even though I do. I need advise on suppliments as far as multivitamin, muscle building protein? All the threads are great in here and I'm hoping to get some great advise.

Thanks!
    If you are just beginning... there is really no need to go all out with supplements. You should start making dietary changes that will maximize your efforts at the gym. Supplements (as the word denotes) are just that... a SUPPLEMENT to a program that is already designed to get your body in gear. Supplements alone will not work miracles.

Not sure what your body composition looks like... but you said you wantto be a body builder? So that means adding mass.

Youre looking at eating roughly 200 -400 cals above maintainance. Which is referred to as a bulk. You can obtain these calories from anything as long as your macros are looking good. Most macros look something like this: 40%protein/30% fat/ 30% carbs. Find out what your caloric needs are, add the extra cals for bulking... and figure out the numbers.

You should be eating approx 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight. THis should give you a great start.

Good luck. And remember... if your diet is in check.. the rest will follow. And real food is always better than a protein bar, protein powder, shake, or pills.
    Joy is the best makeup.

Men, Please do not PM me looking to talk. I am happily engaged and am not looking for anything of the sort on here or anywhere.

Wow thanking for taking the time to help me and give me great advise. Everything you explained makes perfect sense. I am only 5'1 and I weigh 118, I am fairly thin. So my calorie intake is 1200 and per your advise I should add 200 - 400 calories more. What do you think about the clean eating way?

Originally Posted by mortician83 View Post
    If you are just beginning... there is really no need to go all out with supplements. You should start making dietary changes that will maximize your efforts at the gym. Supplements (as the word denotes) are just that... a SUPPLEMENT to a program that is already designed to get your body in gear. Supplements alone will not work miracles.

Not sure what your body composition looks like... but you said you wantto be a body builder? So that means adding mass.

Youre looking at eating roughly 200 -400 cals above maintainance. Which is referred to as a bulk. You can obtain these calories from anything as long as your macros are looking good. Most macros look something like this: 40%protein/30% fat/ 30% carbs. Find out what your caloric needs are, add the extra cals for bulking... and figure out the numbers.

You should be eating approx 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight. THis should give you a great start.

Good luck. And remember... if your diet is in check.. the rest will follow. And real food is always better than a protein bar, protein powder, shake, or pills.

PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow thanking for taking the time to help me and give me great advise. Everything you explained makes perfect sense. I am only 5'1 and I weigh 118, I am fairly thin. So my calorie intake is 1200 and per your advise I should add 200 - 400 calories more. What do you think about the clean eating way?
    clean eating is a personal choice and different people choose it for different reasons. If you are talking about clean eating in the sense that I think of it (ie: no processed food, eating "natural" foods that are from the ground and trees instead of made in a factory with ingredients that can't even be pronounced correctly)... For me, personally, eating clean makes me feel better. It makes me feel more on track than eating the same number of calories of processed foods. I also can consume many more foods in a given day (and eat very often) because my food choices are low in calories usually... (chicken, tuna, spinach, blueberries) I'd rather eat a tub of chicken with spinach and vinagar and oil than a handful of french fries... Cuz I am fuller longer and therefore am never on the brink of eating the entire fridge LOL... so this is why, for me, "eating clean" works. I know some people (kimm is one on here I can think of off hand) that love to incorporate every food they desire into their macros so they don't feel deprived.. I envy this. I just can't do it cuz I feel like off track mentally.

One saying that I've heard that totally applies to me:

Recovering alcoholics are not allowed to have even ONE drink.. because they must live their life as if they are ALWAYS just ONE drink away from being an alcoholic.

I feel the same way... I mean. I do allow treat meals every once in a while.. but allowing them daily... sends me into an out of control spiral.

Hope this helps.
    Joy is the best makeup.

Men, Please do not PM me looking to talk. I am happily engaged and am not looking for anything of the sort on here or anywhere.

Yes that is what I mean about clean eating. I totally see it the way you do, as far as using your calories on good fullfilling food rather than processed food. I got the nutrition part down, next is my workout routine. I have a routine I have been following for 2 weeks hopefully it helps me. Yes I have so many people around me in the work area that are on (herballife and weight watchers) one starves herself all day long, drinks shakes and green water and just one meal. Plus it's so pricey, the other ckaims she can eat whatever she wants as long as she does not go over her points. This morning she had a maple bar from Winchells Your very knowledgeble and I hope I can ask for advice once in a while from you because your very helpful. Are you really a mortician? If you are we have some what in common. Oh and your abs and arms look amazing and I know took alot of hard work. I added you as a friend I hope that is OK with you.

Yes your saying is so true!

Thanks!

clean eating is a personal choice and different people choose it for different reasons. If you are talking about clean eating in the sense that I think of it (ie: no processed food, eating "natural" foods that are from the ground and trees instead of made in a factory with ingredients that can't even be pronounced correctly)... For me, personally, eating clean makes me feel better. It makes me feel more on track than eating the same number of calories of processed foods. I also can consume many more foods in a given day (and eat very often) because my food choices are low in calories usually... (chicken, tuna, spinach, blueberries) I'd rather eat a tub of chicken with spinach and vinagar and oil than a handful of french fries... Cuz I am fuller longer and therefore am never on the brink of eating the entire fridge LOL... so this is why, for me, "eating clean" works. I know some people (kimm is one on here I can think of off hand) that love to incorporate every food they desire into their macros so they don't feel deprived.. I envy this. I just can't do it cuz I feel like off track mentally.

Recovering alcoholics are not allowed to have even ONE drink.. because they must live their life as if they are ALWAYS just ONE drink away from being an alcoholic.

I feel the same way... I mean. I do allow treat meals every once in a while.. but allowing them daily... sends me into an out of control spiral.

Hope this helps.

onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great advice above, really like the quote about the alcoholic, it is soo true.

Clean eating gives you more energy - mix up your vegetables and ensure you have good quality fruits - strawberries, blueberries etc in shake is just divine.... I look forward to eating my food and crave chicken (suprisingly I don't cluck) I love my oats with egg whites in the morning as it fills me up and controls my insulin spikees (so I don't scoff all the lollies in the jar at work). Avocado with chilli, lemon juice & tuna on rice cakes are just yum yum yum!

Write down everything you eat and see where you can makes changes, swap foods around... the idea is variety, so you don't get bored and eat something you don't want/need. Increase your calories and you will find that you will have more energy, sleep well and train harder.

If you are serious I would invest in a PT to get you started, to show you how to train and ensure you have great technique. Shop around for good PT who has your best interests at heart. Good luck, the people on this board are here to help too if you have any questions...

Good luck!!

Yes that is what I mean about clean eating. I totally see it the way you do, as far as using your calories on good fullfilling food rather than processed food. I got the nutrition part down, next is my workout routine. I have a routine I have been following for 2 weeks hopefully it helps me. Yes I have so many people around me in the work area that are on (herballife and weight watchers) one starves herself all day long, drinks shakes and green water and just one meal. Plus it's so pricey, the other ckaims she can eat whatever she wants as long as she does not go over her points. This morning she had a maple bar from Winchells Your very knowledgeble and I hope I can ask for advice once in a while from you because your very helpful. Are you really a mortician? If you are we have some what in common. Oh and your abs and arms look amazing and I know took alot of hard work. I added you as a friend I hope that is OK with you.

Yes your saying is so true!

Thanks!
    Donna
    "be true to yourself and your goals, set them at a level you can reach"

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I feel the same way... I mean. I do allow treat meals every once in a while.. but allowing them daily... sends me into an out of control spiral
    Originally Posted by onnadafit View Post
    weird analogy

if eating outside some self-created 'cleanness' norm makes you feel like you're crossed a line into self-abuse then you've got pretty hefty issues with food imo.
    Last edited by Miranda; 10-07-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    weird analogy

if eating outside some self-created 'cleanness' norm makes you feel like you're crossed a line into self-abuse then you've got pretty hefty issues with food imo.
    agreed.^^

It's all about eating clean and being consistent with your training. Get meals ready ahead of time so there's never a question about what you're going to eat. Make smaller weekly goals and shoot for them. Trying to jump in full force can become overwhelming and this is when the slip ups happen.

Keeping motivated is about how bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough then you need to find a way to dig deep. It's good to have people to support and motivated. But honestly at the end of the day...I have to depend on myself to find that motivation...no one else can do it for me.

Good luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Yes the quote was really good.

Thank you for all the great advice. I will definitely stick to the clean eating. I do only eat chicken and turkey, no feathers until this day I did like salmon but I had a bad experience with a bone and scared the heck out of me. I have read about the oats and egg whites being really good, so guess what I'm having for breakfast. Hmm tuna and avocado with lemon sounds really good and it's a quick easy meal. Or did you have that as a snack?

I will write down everything, that is a really good idea too.

I did ask for info about a PT at my local gym but man are they expensive. I have to keep looking and see if i can get a good PT.

Thank you again for your time and great advice!

Originally Posted by onnadafit View Post

Clean eating gives you more energy - mix up your vegetables and ensure you have good quality fruits - strawberries, blueberries etc in shake is just divine.... I look forward to eating my food and crave chicken (suprisingly I don't cluck) I love my oats with egg whites in the morning as it fills me up and controls my insulin spikees (so I don't scoff all the lollies in the jar at work). Avocado with chilli, lemon juice & tuna on rice cakes are just yum yum yum!

Write down everything you eat and see where you can makes changes, swap foods around... the idea is variety, so you don't get bored and eat something you don't want/need. Increase your calories and you will find that you will have more energy, sleep well and train harder.

If you are serious I would invest in a PT to get you started, to show you how to train and ensure you have great technique. Shop around for good PT who has your best interests at heart. Good luck, the people on this board are here to help too if you have any questions...

Good luck!!

Man all this advice is so good, thank you as well for the great tips.

I am starting slow, I do grill in bulk for the week. For example I grill chicken for the whole week which makes it easier for me. I have a routine I am following now to see what results. I can play around with it and see what works best for me.

You are so right about the motivation but it can be hard. I can give excuses that I have kids, job and go to school but if I really want it I will find a way. I really do want it! I see all these wonderful pictures and progress of all you women and that alone is motivating.

Thank you very much for your great advice

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    agreed.^^

It's all about eating clean and being consistent with your training. Get meals ready ahead of time so there's never a question about what you're going to eat. Make smaller weekly goals and shoot for them. Trying to jump in full force can become overwhelming and this is when the slip ups happen.

Keeping motivated is about how bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough then you need to find a way to dig deep. It's good to have people to support and motivated. But honestly at the end of the day...I have to depend on myself to find that motivation...no one else can do it for me.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    weird analogy

I think a lot of people DO have issues with food. As a recovering anorexic / bulemic... I would say your comment is right on the money. But.. if this is how some of us get by.. and it works.. who's to judge?
    Joy is the best makeup.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think a lot of people DO have issues with food. As a recovering anorexic / bulemic... I would say your comment is right on the money. But.. if this is how some of us get by.. and it works.. who's to judge?
    do you think it really will work in the long term?
    if you have a problem, you need to learn to tackle it, not walk away.

my issue with the analogy is more about how it works to create an unhealthy mindset about food. not a good thing if you're on your way to recovery, or even if you're a casual dieter/fitness nut.

[recovering] alcoholics avoid all alcoholic beverages while the food-obsessed demonise only certain foods. the difference between 'good' and 'bad' is a line drawn in water; meaningless rules.

inflict those rules on yourself and you become a tightrope walker. you're very very good, until you're bad. and that, isn't about the foods you ingest. it's all in your head.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."