justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Why does running on the treadmill hurt my knees?

i ran outside during the spring and summer almost daily, and my knees never bothered me.

then in the fall i tried running on the treadmill once and my knees have been bothering me since then, my calves were also feeling really sore the next day (they never get sore when i run outside). im wondering if my gyms treadmills have a bad shock absorber (worse than pavement)? or is it the way i run on a treadmill? or my shoes? i bought new shoes and they were smacking really hard on the treadmill it must have sounded like i weighed 300lbs. i bought 3 new running shoes from decathlon a week ago these seemed much better when i testran with them inside the store but i havent used them yet. im just scared to give it another try on the treadmill and ruin my knees that way. im about to head outside for a jog now for the first time since mid october, but it's still really cold so i don't really like it (hurts to breath, airways freezing). but i miss running so much!!!
    Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-23-2011 at 06:39 AM.

ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would first ask how much you weigh and how long you run. Running does impact your knees but it shouldn't hurt like that unless you are overweight and running too long.

I would try switching up your cardio routine so you have less stress on your knees and get a better "all around workout". You should run one day, than use the exercise bike, and if you have access to a pool, go swimming. Switch it up.

ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChrisLovesJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol i just saw that you weigh 105, so that shouldn't be it, but either way you should switch up the exercises. maybe you're going too often and running too long

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Treadmills work a little different than running outside so you may have to adjust a bit to concentrate more on your actual foot motion. Make sure you roll off the foot, heel to toe, taking longer strides and pushing off a bit more. Also try starting with light stretching and make sure that you're warming up properly, walking at a slow to moderate pace for several moments first before you run.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Treadmills are very different the running outside. First off, the fact that its a moveing belt, your not utilyzing as many muscle groups as if you were running outside. Set the elevation to 5.0 to make it APPROXIMATLY the same as if you were running outside.

Also, I've never been a big fan of running on treadmills, the shock absorber is a little easier on your knee's, hips, ankles then running on concrete but IMO not as good as on grass or dirt, or on the sand...

Although you only weigh 105. A good estimation for how much weight is impacting on your knee's is you can multiply your weight by 3 and that's about how much weight each knee is absorbing during impact.

So you can really see those numbers getting large, especially when we are talking about 250-300LBers!
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure you land heel to toe, and check your shoes. Find a running store and have a shoe fitted for your foot. Knee problems can occur, if you're flat footed wearing shoes with a high arch, vice versa.
    www.pro-fit-pt.com

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    Treadmills work a little different than running outside so you may have to adjust a bit to concentrate more on your actual foot motion. Make sure you roll off the foot, heel to toe, taking longer strides and pushing off a bit more. Also try starting with light stretching and make sure that you're warming up properly, walking at a slow to moderate pace for several moments first before you run.
    thanks! true i think when i run outside my feet stay on the floor twice as long than the treadmill but its so weird cos the floor is moving haha...and to the above comment about running too much or too long. in the spring/summers i would run 10 hours a week sometimes, and my knees never bothered me in fact i think running made them stronger, the more i ran the less stress i felt in my joints. but when i run on the treadmill every single smack to the band puts a huge shock/stress on my knees i can feel it during every single step just BAM and i ran with my new, 100%shock absorber when i run on the unmoving floor shoes, but i still sounded 300lbs and they were smacking on the treadmill hard haha. i had to quit after 5 minutes cos my knee started hurting. then later i tried again and i had to quit after 10 steps since it was hurting again. however running from 1 room to another felt just fine (no shock). i also looked at someone else running on the treadmill who didnt make a lot of noise and it looks like they were landing in the middle of their foot, whereas i always let myself fall on the front. it doesnt look like a natural way to run :/ but better for treadmill running?

Originally Posted by LiL USMC BBer View Post
    Treadmills are very different the running outside. First off, the fact that its a moveing belt, your not utilyzing as many muscle groups as if you were running outside. Set the elevation to 5.0 to make it APPROXIMATLY the same as if you were running outside.

Also, I've never been a big fan of running on treadmills, the shock absorber is a little easier on your knee's, hips, ankles then running on concrete but IMO not as good as on grass or dirt, or on the sand...

Although you only weigh 105. A good estimation for how much weight is impacting on your knee's is you can multiply your weight by 3 and that's about how much weight each knee is absorbing during impact.

So you can really see those numbers getting large, especially when we are talking about 250-300LBers!
    my description about me sounding 300lbs would be pretty accurate then haha. alright ill try changing the incline my next attempt.

Originally Posted by ProPT View Post
    Make sure you land heel to toe, and check your shoes. Find a running store and have a shoe fitted for your foot. Knee problems can occur, if you're flat footed wearing shoes with a high arch, vice versa.
    i always land on the front of my foot..:/ and my upper body is hanging forward a bit (but chest slightly up/no slouching back)

is this not ok?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try wrapping the knees. It may help.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Try wrapping the knees. It may help.
    thanks!

Originally Posted by ProPT View Post
    yeah i just did a google search, i know i have a sliiightly high arch (the person in the running shoes store told me) and apparently my type of feet lack natural shock absorber according to this website

Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LiL USMC BBer View Post

5.0 is a lot of incline on a treadmill. Most people don't even walk at that incline much less run it. Experts suggest 1.0 to 2.0 to simulate outdoor running.

Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by justanothagirl View Post
    i ran outside during the spring and summer almost daily, and my knees never bothered me.

then in the fall i tried running on the treadmill once and my knees have been bothering me since then, my calves were also feeling really sore the next day (they never get sore when i run outside). im wondering if my gyms treadmills have a bad shock absorber (worse than pavement)? or is it the way i run on a treadmill? or my shoes? i bought new shoes and they were smacking really hard on the treadmill it must have sounded like i weighed 300lbs. i bought 3 new running shoes from decathlon a week ago these seemed much better when i testran with them inside the store but i havent used them yet. im just scared to give it another try on the treadmill and ruin my knees that way. im about to head outside for a jog now for the first time since mid october, but it's still really cold so i don't really like it (hurts to breath, airways freezing). but i miss running so much!!!
    I have always wondered what the deal with this was too...When I run outside, I can go forever. On the treadmill, it sounds like I'm stomping no matter what I do...I've tried everything, new shoes, positioning my feet differently, etc. Finally, I found a treadmill that was extremely more sturdy than the ones in the past and wasn't as loud to run on. I deduced that it wasn't me, lol. My knees used to hurt more on treadmills also....now, I rarely use them and if I HAVE to do cardio indoors, I use an elliptical or I go to a gym that has an indoor track. :/ Good luck!

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Try a very slow jog for 15 min before you start to warm up your knees, trust me I have to do it.