SwagBrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-Ups Good for Pecs?

I have an Iron Gym.
    What's better for the pecs? Wide-grip pull-ups or push ups?
    How much better?

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Push ups by far. Push ups allow the contraction of the pecs through resistance. The pecs do not aid in the movement of a pullup, instead they contract and release passively.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

Originally Posted by FunkymonkAW View Post
    Push ups by far. Push ups allow the contraction of the pecs through resistance. The pecs do not aid in the movement of a pullup, instead they contract and release passively.
    Ok, thanks. I heard that wide grip pull-ups hit your pecs though.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SwagBrown View Post
    Ok, thanks. I heard that wide grip pull-ups hit your pecs though.
    you heard wrong.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    you heard wrong.
    Lol

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    you heard wrong.
    Yup. Mainly works out your Lats, Biceps, Middle Back, & Shoulders.
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    Yup. Mainly works out your Lats, Biceps, Middle Back, & Shoulders.
    Hahah ok thanks

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SwagBrown View Post
    Hahah ok thanks
    Don't understand the hahaha? Do I make you laugh? After all, your the one saying wide pull ups hit your chest.
    USMC.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to grow your chest then push ups are a bit limiting. Eventually you'll need to add resistance. You could just do weighted push ups but in my experience bench press > weighted push ups for the chest.

Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    Don't understand the hahaha? Do I make you laugh? After all, your the one saying wide pull ups hit your chest.
    His username is SwagBrown.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

Originally Posted by NZninja101 View Post
    His username is SwagBrown.
    Very true. Rep for being awesome bro! lol.
    USMC.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    EXRX lists the pecs as synergists in every variation except for overhand grip, so they are indeed good for the pecs. Just not that great for the pecs.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...andChinup.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ripChinup.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...earPullup.html

Thanks for the all help, FunkymonkAW, DCSpartan, ktothewire, NZninja101, and kanis999! Yall are all very important pieces of my puzzle of a life

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    EXRX lists the pecs as synergists in every variation except for overhand grip, so they are indeed good for the pecs. Just not that great for the pecs.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...andChinup.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ripChinup.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...earPullup.html
    This site is an excellent starting point to understand how muscles function on a basic level.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what the ****... bro... pull ups are pulling exercises. Your chest is a pushing muscle. Not pulling. I guess flyes count as pulling... kinda sorta...

Just do push ups, stairs elevated push ups, diver bomb push ups, diamond push ups.

as for the iron gym. use all grips. till failure. starting with wide. I go to failure with push ups too... because i mean idk where else to go with that... after a while i get sick of it... im like screw this. id rather bench 3x5 instead of doing 60-70 push ups. than another set of like 40. and another of 30. and until i can do no more. . .

Do the close grip reverse on the iron gym for a nice forearm workout. Even the wide grip underhand is nice. Like the wide version of the chin up basically.

that takes care of chest and back. AS for traps. I would try to find something really heavy and shrug it. Shrug work to me is hard to come across. for "home made" simply because i can't find crap heavy enough.... I just deadlift...

For legs. do sprints, and alot of uphills. biking on highest gears and uphill. laps around the track with lunges. Oh yea. laps baby. u can't even do 1 lap on the track with lunges. Reverse laps for calves. uphills work calves.

Put a car in neutral and push that bitch. Point of this exercise is to move it from a dead stop. once its rolling its easy. So get it off dead stop, push like 5 feet. stop till its dead. and push again. Drive it and turn it around and do it again.

like i said. with any of this home workout crap i always go to failure.

Abs, you can do hanging leg raises and other typical body weight ab exercises

as for shoulders. i find this to be the hardest... if u don't have barbells or dumbbells... only thing u can do. is upside push ups. like vertical. Or lateral raises with something heavy with a handle/strap.

If u had the perfect pull up u could do some rear delt face pulls upside down. But its not safe to hang such long rope attachments and exercise on a iron gym.

Trus me bro. i got a iron gym... and i've been stuck at home before. lots of time. with nothing to do... with no car... with no where to walk to or bike too. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Thank god i went to college and went to a real gym.

Bodyweight gets boring. Its like god damnit start getting tired already. I start doing push ups. its like. 1, 2, 3~ okay **** this...

shillshocked is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink Wel actually...

Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    what the ****... bro... pull ups are pulling exercises. Your chest is a pushing muscle. Not pulling. I guess flyes count as pulling... kinda sorta...

Just do push ups, stairs elevated push ups, diver bomb push ups, diamond push ups.

as for the iron gym. use all grips. till failure. starting with wide. I go to failure with push ups too... because i mean idk where else to go with that... after a while i get sick of it... im like screw this. id rather bench 3x5 instead of doing 60-70 push ups. than another set of like 40. and another of 30. and until i can do no more. . .

Do the close grip reverse on the iron gym for a nice forearm workout. Even the wide grip underhand is nice. Like the wide version of the chin up basically.

that takes care of chest and back. AS for traps. I would try to find something really heavy and shrug it. Shrug work to me is hard to come across. for "home made" simply because i can't find crap heavy enough.... I just deadlift...

For legs. do sprints, and alot of uphills. biking on highest gears and uphill. laps around the track with lunges. Oh yea. laps baby. u can't even do 1 lap on the track with lunges. Reverse laps for calves. uphills work calves.

Put a car in neutral and push that bitch. Point of this exercise is to move it from a dead stop. once its rolling its easy. So get it off dead stop, push like 5 feet. stop till its dead. and push again. Drive it and turn it around and do it again.

like i said. with any of this home workout crap i always go to failure.

Abs, you can do hanging leg raises and other typical body weight ab exercises

as for shoulders. i find this to be the hardest... if u don't have barbells or dumbbells... only thing u can do. is upside push ups. like vertical. Or lateral raises with something heavy with a handle/strap.

If u had the perfect pull up u could do some rear delt face pulls upside down. But its not safe to hang such long rope attachments and exercise on a iron gym.

Trus me bro. i got a iron gym... and i've been stuck at home before. lots of time. with nothing to do... with no car... with no where to walk to or bike too. I lived in the middle of nowhere. Thank god i went to college and went to a real gym.

Bodyweight gets boring. Its like god damnit start getting tired already. I start doing push ups. its like. 1, 2, 3~ okay **** this...
    Well actually, the pec minor does get involved in pullups, especially close-gripped and chinup variations. Mostly as a stabilizer though. But that's why we use free weights and not machines, right?

I did a ledge close-gripped pullup after my workout today, and I felt it in my pec minors pretty good.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JJinSS View Post
    Your chest is a pushing muscle. Not pulling.
    That's a little misleading as ALL muscles only pull, not push. When you 'push' weights up on a bench press, your muscles are 'pulling' the moving bones.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 401delta View Post
    that's a little misleading as all muscles only pull, not push. When you 'push' weights up on a bench press, your muscles are 'pulling' the moving bones.
    :-p
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    nah bruh pullups wont do anything. you gotta do both.
    The body can withstand anything, it is the mind you must convince.

Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can use Close grip Pulldowns for chest, but only on the negative part.
    It is not a safe movement. But some guy swore by it. He was also injured.
    So you're on the internet for good advice, here's some good advice: have a good laugh once in a while. And never tear your bicep!

628 / 661 LBS DL
    529 / 600 LBS SQ
    242 / 300 LBS BP