Registered User rorschachsaysno's Avatar
    rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Does overhead shoulder exercises hit the tricep long head?

If overhead tricep exercises hit the long head of the triceps, does overhead shoulder exercises that involve the triceps hit the tricep long head?

Registered User FirstGenFighter's Avatar
    FirstGenFighter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rorschachsaysno View Post
    If overhead tricep exercises hit the long head of the triceps, does overhead shoulder exercises that involve the triceps hit the tricep long head?
    Yes. Just not as profoundly as extensions.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn't count on it for tricep development.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It'd hit the long head better than decline or flat or incline presses in all likelihood, but you don't get the same full stretch as you do in overhead extensions.

rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10) rorschachsaysno is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was hoping I could skip tricep extensions, I hate them. If I do dips along with overhead presses would it hit them enough?

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was hoping I could skip tricep extensions, I hate them. If I do dips along with overhead presses would it hit them enough?
    Try Tricep pulldowns instead of pushdowns. Basically a pushdown, with underhand grip on the bar.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    Try Tricep pulldowns instead of pushdowns. Basically a pushdown, with underhand grip on the bar.
    I did those before, but I did them for the medial head. It's good for the long head?

Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    These are fun with rotating bars, but just aweful if the bar doesn't rotate, lol.

I did those before, but I did them for the medial head. It's good for the long head?
    No, they don't hit the long head well because your elbows are at your side, the long head doesn't get very stretched.

tri push/pull downs (lez call'm pulley extensions?) hit the 2 shorter heads of the tricep.

Though if you have a pulley that allows you to pull at a horizantal angle, or perhaps a low row, you can mimic an overhead extension with a cable if you position your body right relative to it.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Overhead shoulder presses hit my triceps in the same manner that bench presses do......lateral head mostly.

Concerning pushdowns, it depends on how you do them, flare out the elbows or keep them closer to your body to play around with the long head. Twist your wrist out at the end of the move to emphasize the lateral head.

Additionally for the long head, try:
    Standing overhead cable rope extensions
    Standing overhead DB extensions
    Decline french presses

All of the above hit the long head hard.
    Last edited by k9pit; 08-04-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Musselartist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is your arm size?

If you don´t have some good mass, there´s no point in worrying about the different heads of the triceps.