Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TLYNCH777 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DarrenConroy View Post
    Great information from both of you.. Thanks!
    The vertical is a must have for any serious gym. Nebula has two versions I prefer the older style they were just made much better in the 90's. In the past i was not great at squatting and relied heavily on the vertical leg press to build my legs. You just have to have control especialy at the bottom of the movment i have witness people crack a rip and even get up to fast and pass out. Nebulas latest design has the fancy laser parts and I believe that is the only vertical leg press made in the us today. That was the first new piece we ordered for the gym floor in 2006 when i began working at a new gym.

King fitness made two different versions the last run before they went out of buesness was just as good as the nebula possibly better. It had a little movement in the footplate and had 4 weight horns to load the plates two on each side. The downfall it did not have safteys.

Last that i like is the Tk star he also made two models the older one had an adjustable head rest and was very smooth. The last version he made is very rare has big round tubing some of the handels even have a bronze marbel on them. He made every piece slightly diffrent . His footplate had a steep angle wich you could not load up the weight like the nebula or king but it hit the muscle just right.

Why the vertical leg presses is so effective is because in that position the weight is 100% tension. Unlike the traditional 45 degree leg press or hack squat which is about 65% . There is no escape on a vertical leg press I prefer the reps from 15 to 30 reps go all out on a vertical and it will blow your quads up. There is no burn like the vertical leg press it's deffinetly not for everyone.
    Last edited by TLYNCH777; 09-30-2012 at 06:10 AM.

DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TLYNCH777 View Post
    The vertical is a must have for any serious gym. Nebula has two versions I prefer the older style they were just made much better in the 90's. In the past i was not great at squatting and relied heavily on the vertical leg press to build my legs. You just have to have control especialy at the bottom of the movment i have witness people crack a rip and even get up to fast and pass out. Nebulas latest design has the fancy laser parts and I believe that is the only vertical leg press made in the us today. That was the first new piece we ordered for the gym floor in 2006 when i began working at a new gym.

King fitness made two different versions the last run before they went out of buesness was just as good as the nebula possibly better. It had a little movement in the footplate and had 4 weight horns to load the plates two on each side. The downfall it did not have safteys.

Last that i like is the Tk star he also made two models the older one had an adjustable head rest and was very smooth. The last version he made is very rare has big round tubing some of the handels even have a bronze marbel on them. He made every piece slightly diffrent . His footplate had a steep angle wich you could not load up the weight like the nebula or king but it hit the muscle just right.

Why the vertical leg presses is so effective is because in that position the weight is 100% tension. Unlike the traditional 45 degree leg press or hack squat which is about 65% . There is no escape on a vertical leg press I prefer the reps from 15 to 30 reps go all out on a vertical and it will blow your quads up. There is no burn like the vertical leg press it's deffinetly not for everyone.
    Thank you so much for this great insight! It seems that the VLP certainly isn't for everyone as you said and I am even more intrigued to see how it would help maximize my leg development if used correctly.. Time to sweet talk my gym manager into potentially getting one of these...
    Darren Conroy
    Controlled Labs Sponsored Natural Athlete
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

FREE Controlled Labs SAMPLES
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149596763

Free Controlled Labs supps for your labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=117636651

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000) DarrenConroy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Has anyone made an attempt to improv with the smith machine? It has crossed my mind in the meantime but would like some feedback if there is any available...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this is available to do in my smith but i dont like how it feelw. ill post a vid in a few days
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Has anyone made an attempt to improv with the smith machine? It has crossed my mind in the meantime but would like some feedback if there is any available...
    i do this sometimes. i set my safeties where i want them and then start from the up position. it works good.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    this is available to do in my smith but i dont like how it feelw. ill post a vid in a few days
    That sounds great! I would like to see!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    i do this sometimes. i set my safeties where i want them and then start from the up position. it works good.
    How does it feel on your back? Do you have something to stabilize yourself with?
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How does it feel on your back? Do you have something to stabilize yourself with?
    well i can just lay on the bench, but i didn't like how it felt. definitely a lot of pressure. kind of easy to slide around too.

well i can just lay on the bench, but i didn't like how it felt. definitely a lot of pressure. kind of easy to slide around too.
    Thats kinda what I would have figured... I guess I'll toy around with it and see if I can make something work... I guess it's all about creativity sometimes...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i lay on a flat pad laid on top of the stall mats

i lay on a flat pad laid on top of the stall mats
    Thanks! I think I'll try that for sure... Cheers!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There's a guy here OhSoFocus that made feet pads that clamp on his smith bar for leg presses.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    There's a guy here OhSoFocus that made feet pads that clamp on his smith bar for leg presses.
    Really?? I'll check those out for sure! Thanks!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Really?? I'll check those out for sure! Thanks!
    It's buried somewhere in the "no excuses homemade equipment" thread.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    It's buried somewhere in the "no excuses homemade equipment" thread.
    Good to know.. I was just talking to one of the pretty hardcore guys at my gym about the idea and he said he would hit it with me on leg day.. Can't wait!!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Today I dabbled with utilizing the smith machine as a vertical leg press... I was actually a bit surprised as I thought it would be a bit more stressful on my back... I didn't go very heavy, I topped out at 3 plates and a 25 on each side for 10 as I was merely wanting to get a feel for it... I definitely felt it hitting my quads... I can already feel my legs are a bit sore in areas that aren't usually sore.. I think that it could possibly be a great support workout.. I'm still going to start things off with squats and hack squat.. But all in all, I did like it...
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Today I dabbled with utilizing the smith machine as a vertical leg press... I was actually a bit surprised as I thought it would be a bit more stressful on my back... I didn't go very heavy, I topped out at 3 plates and a 25 on each side for 10 as I was merely wanting to get a feel for it... I definitely felt it hitting my quads... I can already feel my legs are a bit sore in areas that aren't usually sore.. I think that it could possibly be a great support workout.. I'm still going to start things off with squats and hack squat.. But all in all, I did like it...
    options are nice.

options are nice.
    I think I would still like to make an attempt at getting the real thing in the gym though..
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

vertical's on the smith have been pretty good lately! I got up to 5 plates on each side.. Still a bit apprehensive to go too heavy so I save em for a burn out.. but each time the next day is very sore in different places..
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Awesome Pic!!!

Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

that arnold pic cracks me up now. he shouldnt' be rounding his back.

i ended up selling my parabody hack squat leg press. i was only doing leg presses in it (squats in my magnum perfect squat).

i got this for $80 the other day:

works very well and i don't slide around on it! doesn't really feel bad on my back and i've tried it with 200 pounds.

slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50)

i ended up selling my parabody hack squat leg press. i was only doing leg presses in it (squats in my magnum perfect squat).

works very well and i don't slide around on it! doesn't really feel bad on my back and i've tried it with 200 pounds.

Nice review. Im looking to build something similar. How would you compare the tension/workout between this and the leg press that you had previously?
    Long live Slim

Haha.. I was sort of thinking the same thing..
    You're machine looks legit! I may need to look into one of those!
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Haha.. I was sort of thinking the same thing..
    You're machine looks legit! I may need to look into one of those!
    you should. i think the larger pad for the back and the slight angle make it worlds better than the ironmaster bench using the smith machine. its amazing what those 2 little things can make a world of difference .

you should. i think the larger pad for the back and the slight angle make it worlds better than the ironmaster bench using the smith machine. its amazing what those 2 little things can make a world of difference .
    I can imagine.. Right now what I'm working with is pretty unkind..
    Darren Conroy

Aesthreadics.com
    info@aesthreadics.com

Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
    Nice review. Im looking to build something similar. How would you compare the tension/workout between this and the leg press that you had previously?
    it feels better. not all that sure for standing calf raises but i can do those in the magnum. not sure about optimum foot placement to do calf raises in this one.

I can imagine.. Right now what I'm working with is pretty unkind..
    what are you using now?

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I don't use the vertical press because I found it was substantially harder on my lower back. I've read studies where others have confirmed that the back is placed in a much more at-risk position. These things have been disappearing from gyms for a reason. There is still a good number of lifters who enjoy them. I just hope they are able to stay injury free.

Historical bump I know but I have been working out with the vertical leg press for over a year, initially I had the same problem, some lower back strain and it came mostly from my positioning, being too far under the lift put some strain on my back but as long as I lay back far enough and don't bring the weights all the way down, it gives me a tremendous workout without any back pain whatsoever. I've been in a few bad car accidents and have dealt with lower back issues and squats tend to tighten up my lower back and cause a lot more pain, this has been one of the few leg exercises that I can consistently do and progress on without back pain being an issue.

If you're new to the exercise, I would recommend practicing without weights, getting very familiar with the releases and proper comfortable form and then slowly adding weight over time.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks, what model are you using?

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    Thanks, what model are you using?

LOL, hell if I know, I have to look on the machine next time I'm in the gym but its a standard side loaded machine, not top loaded like some of the old school ones I've seen.

It looks something like this.

Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

Xanier88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have TDS vertical leg press machine. Picked it up for 200 bucks, originally a $700 machine. I am 6'2 and have had back issues from 10 years of hockey and squatting. Squatting hurts my back, this machine does not. It has a 1,000 capacity and 2 twist handles to release or catch the weight. It also has 2 plates on the guide rails that will catch the weight if you drop it or fail. It can't crush you so I feel very safe using it. I also find it fantastic for calves.