Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why does bread cause water retention?

Over the last few months ive basically cut all types of bread out of my diet, in favour of sweet potatoes, oatmeal etc. as i heard bread causes water retention?

Is this true? and are there any other hidden foods that cause water retention? cottage cheese? :S

Cheers

Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Thehawk01 View Post
    Over the last few months ive basically cut all types of bread out of my diet, in favour of sweet potatoes, oatmeal etc. as i heard bread causes water retention?

Is this true? and are there any other hidden foods that cause water retention? cottage cheese? :S

Cheers
    people hold very little water btw, bread shouldnt be a issues here!

Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Thehawk01 View Post

Cheers
    Of course. Simple carbs spike insulin, which in turn causes water retention.
    Idiotic and inconsequential people are still idiotic and inconsequential.

Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000) Spottydog is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Npeart View Post
    Since when is whole grain bread a simple carb?

I bet it's the fiber + the fact that bread is (usually) made of wheat, which is harder for some people to digest (not allergy-related).

Why you worried so much about it anyway? Strutting round shirtless much?
    Last edited by Spottydog; 06-27-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    KARMA; reps for life:
    matthor-derickonfire-ozfiz-xquick-meyer23-AllGenetix, Beast, Scivation, Lando33
    girl81-2 D-spot skater-djaeger3-in10city-Emma-Leigh-bballbrett5, jaim91, imfusio
    Not on the list? Don't worry! There's still plenty of chances to achieve good karma.

Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Spottydog View Post
    Since when is whole grain bread a simple carb?

I bet it's the fiber + the fact that bread is (usually) made of wheat, which is harder for some people to digest (not allergy-related).

Why you worried so much about it anyway? Strutting round shirtless much?
    Where in his post does he say "whole grain?" He just said, "bread."

Whole grain bread would be a complex carb.

iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iceypain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How exactly does an insulin spike cause water retention?

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am on the anabolic diet and because of this weekly my glycogen stores are replenished with a higher carbohydrate intake, if the OP's water retention is like that of what I have just mentioned (a result of glycogen stores being replenished):

Carbohydrates from whole grain or sugar would have the same effect, both cause this water retention because both contribute to glycogen store replenishment.

Originally Posted by iceypain View Post
    How exactly does an insulin spike cause water retention?
    Well, an insulin spike is required for creatine transport, right? So, how watery do you get on creatine? Also, ever hear of "spilling over?" It's when you ingest too many carbs and the next day you look watery, puffy and soft. I cannot give you the scientific explanation, but I do know simple carbs spike insulin and that can cause the body to hold water, which is why bb'ers have to drop water precontest during their carb up.

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Talking water retention and carbs as it was explained to me.

First of all to the guy that posted this, you avatar picture looks great. Moving on though, the water retention was explained to me this way. When we eat anything, oats, potatoes bannanas, pizza, anything with carbs. The digestion process starts and as the food is broken down these carbs (or sugars if you will) enter our blood stream. Causing a rise in blood sugar, when blood sugar goes up the body responds by releasing insulin to facilitate the transport of these sugars into the cells to replenish the glycogen stores. However, in order to get into your tissues and replenish glycogen these sugars need a carrier. water! That's right, water! Your body uses water as a vehicle to shuttle the carbohydrates into the cells to replenish your glycogen stores. Basically every carbohydrate molecule that crosses your cell membranes needs to take a few water molecules with it or else it couldn't cross the cross the membrane. There's no way around this really, it's just how our bodies chemistry works. You could dehydrate yourself after carbing up I would imagine; but this water retention mechanism is also what gives your muscles that nice full look when you've been eating good. Any how, I can't remember the exact mechanism but that is basically how it works I found this explanation in "Serious Strength Training" by Tudor O. Bompa. Hope it helped

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DaBurg3r View Post
    First of all to the guy that posted this, you avatar picture looks great. Moving on though, the water retention was explained to me this way. When we eat anything, oats, potatoes bannanas, pizza, anything with carbs. The digestion process starts and as the food is broken down these carbs (or sugars if you will) enter our blood stream. Causing a rise in blood sugar, when blood sugar goes up the body responds by releasing insulin to facilitate the transport of these sugars into the cells to replenish the glycogen stores. However, in order to get into your tissues and replenish glycogen these sugars need a carrier. water! That's right, water! Your body uses water as a vehicle to shuttle the carbohydrates into the cells to replenish your glycogen stores. Basically every carbohydrate molecule that crosses your cell membranes needs to take a few water molecules with it or else it couldn't cross the cross the membrane. There's no way around this really, it's just how our bodies chemistry works. You could dehydrate yourself after carbing up I would imagine; but this water retention mechanism is also what gives your muscles that nice full look when you've been eating good. Any how, I can't remember the exact mechanism but that is basically how it works I found this explanation in "Serious Strength Training" by Tudor O. Bompa. Hope it helped
    Interesting, reps.

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    p.s. the body strives to break all carbohydrates down into glucose. Complex carbs have to be more fully digested before being broken down into glucose. The reason controlling blood sugar is important is because if the body has more sugar circulating in the blood than it's tissues can absorb and use, these excess sugars are metabolized by the liver and stored as fatty tissue. Simple sugars like sucrose and dextrose easily overwhelm the bodies insulin response, leading to fat storage. Complex carbs are broken down into glucose at a slower and steady rate which the body is better able to use. Thanks, any comments would be welcome.

idk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) idk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    every gram of carb has some amount of water in it right? as you store carbs you store water.

Every food has water in it, yes. But the real source of the water retention is fluid intake that occurs with diet. For example, the body won't put on a pound from simply eating 100 grams of dry oatmeal and nothing else. But if a person eats 100 grams of oatmeal and drinks a half liter of water it's guaranteed that the body will hold a significant amount of that ingested water. Hoping this makes sense.

Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thehawk01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah sorry should of said i meant wholegrain bread not white, i hear ezekiel bread is a good alternative though, shame its so hard 2 find in the UK...

Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rigit23 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wouldn't worry about water retention, assuming you aren't 2 weeks out from a competition.
    *Boston Misc Crew*
    *Horsehead Crew*
    *TFW no gf crew*

"It's not who you know, it's who you blow"
    - Abraham Lincoln

ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItalianStllion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    im pretty sure it has a lot do with glycogen!!!!!!
    Only three things on my mind - sleeping, eating, and winning.

Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000) Aindreas is just really nice. (+1000)
    Where in his post does he say "whole grain?" He just said, "bread."

Whole grain bread would be a complex carb.
    As is white bread.

kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DaBurg3r View Post
    wow, that was very well put. kinda felt like i was taking a journey on the magic school bus

Originally Posted by Aindreas View Post
    As is white bread.
    wuddup man, it been a while. how's ur bbing goin?
    Rep Back 1k+ ....just sayin

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance."

BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBallman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glycogen in general causes water retention
    WWW.FITNESSNATURALLY.COM
    NATURAL MUSCLE

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This thread demeans this board and makes as us all a bit dumber.
    No sir, I don't like it.

bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bestman1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    maybe there is big quantity of sodium

bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are we talking about glycogen retetion here or water retention underneath the skin? Everybody is different when it comes to water retention underneath the skin. It could be caused from things like carb sensitivity, or allergies. Bread isn't any worse when it comes to water retention than any other carb. It just depends on how your body handles it.
    Ingredients for Growth:
    -gravity
    -food

Weight lifting is a competitive sport between you and gravity. In the end, gravity always seems to win.