Page 2 of 203 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good job on the fat loss. The mid section trim is a good indicator that what you're doing is working. I completely agree on the philosophy presented.
    David

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

BUMP: Status Report

Status Report

My contest season ended in mid-April and I took May through June getting back up to my pre-contest diet body weight. After spending over 42 weeks logging my diet in an effort to first lose weight, and then compete, the Excel diet charts were also on hiatus during May and June. My extemporaneous dieting (i.e., "bulking") resulted in a condition that nearly merited a new thread, "MHL transforms back into a fat ass."

But instead of making that post, I resolved to back away from the precipice and strive to make lean gains instead of the traditional bulking route. For one thing, after being fat for so long, I just don't want to look like that anymore (even if I would make better strength/size gains). Another consideration was that it makes little sense for a natty athlete to have the long diet that would be necessary to lose over 25 lbs for a contest - that would just result in too much muscle loss (or a long, gradual diet that precludes optimal lean body mass gains and turns pre-contest prep into a 6 month marathon).

The last reason I returned to sanity is that I care about my health more than some damn trophy. Anyway here are the numbers for the past month:

BW: - 3 lbs
    hips: - .5 inches
    gut: - 1.5 inches
    waist: - .5 inches
    calipers (abdomen): - 2 mm

I'll continue my current course of action until I lose about 1-2 mm more on the caliper measurement for an estimated BF of 10%. Baseline caloric intake will then be re-established to maintain the targeted body composition for the remainder of the off-season.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Good job on the fat loss. The mid section trim is a good indicator that what you're doing is working. I completely agree on the philosophy presented.
    Thanks for the affirmation. The pace of the fat loss seems to be appropriate since I am in off-season mode, so there are no issues with energy or strength levels for a change. Hopefully, this strategy will pay off once the formal contest prep is in full swing.

srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10) srodge@hotmail. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

great thread

read the thread and am well into your training and mind set being of the natty type myself keep up the hard work which i am in no doubt your are doin at the the moment.
    your a good advert IMO for natural training no BS
    rodge

msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Good reading, and subbed. Lots of brutal workouts so far! I will definately learn something new that I can incorporate into my own workouts from reading about your progress.
    My Workout and Diet Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132284633

2009-2010 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125381851

Originally Posted by srodge@hotmail. View Post
    read the thread and am well into your training and mind set being of the natty type myself keep up the hard work which i am in no doubt your are doin at the the moment.
    your a good advert IMO for natural training no BS
    Hey, Rodge. It's always good to hear from another natty BBer, so you are welcome around here anytime. I look forward hearing more about your approach to natural training, recovery issues, etc in the near future.

Originally Posted by msru View Post
    Good reading, and subbed. Lots of brutal workouts so far! I will definately learn something new that I can incorporate into my own workouts from reading about your progress.
    Welcome to the Memoir! Yeah, there are a lot of hard workers to found within the Workout Journals and I'm proud to be among their ranks. Thanks again for the comments and hope to see you around here from time to time. Back to the grind...

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Good work MHL.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Good work MHL.

-=FLEX=-
    x2.

Great status report today MHL.

Good work MHL.

-=FLEX=-
    Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    x2.

Great status report today MHL.
    Thanks, guys. Hopefully, there will be a similar rate of progress to report next month!

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey M - hows things!?

Your plan for fat reduction and not attempt the big diet is spot-on!

FWIW...I use a 3 site b/f measure using calipers and this table. That way I can focus on the main thing - the subcutaneous fat and if thats right then the shape separation etc all fall in line

Think about it.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Hey, Rodge. It's always good to hear from another natty BBer, so you are welcome around here anytime. I look forward hearing more about your approach to natural training, recovery issues, etc in the near future.

Welcome to the Memoir! Yeah, there are a lot of hard workers to found within the Workout Journals and I'm proud to be among their ranks. Thanks again for the comments and hope to see you around here from time to time. Back to the grind...
    Thanks! I'm also interested in your progress because you're the same height as me. You're much heavier and more buff, but it gives me a kind of a general target to aspire to!

Day 4: Strength Phase; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Squats w/biceps + forearms

My head is still spinning from deadlines at the job, but the show must go on. Here we go:

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • dips, 1 x 15
    • pull ups, 1 x 10
    • leg extensions, 2 x 10-15, 20% of stack
    • hyperextensions, 1 x 10

QUADS

Squats (in power rack, using weight belt; no wraps)
    bar x 10
    135 x 8
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    365 x 3 --- F*ck! (bail on rep 4) My assessment: rep 1 = sh!tty, rep 2 = sh!ttier, rep 3 = sh!ttiest; start over, jackass...
    315 x 3 --- focus on getting low and breaking at the hips first....good.
    335 x 3 --- keep the back tight! Better...
    355 x 3 --- put it all together...yes, much better. Let's get this...
    365 x 4 --- Yes, yes, yes! 'bout time...
    ------- 5x5 portion of our program
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5

Jeffersons (using Oly bar from floor; standard mixed grip)
    205 x 6
    205 x 6
    205 x 6
    205 x 6

Narrow stance squat machine
    200 x 15
    200 x 15
    200 x 15 --- @#$%^&!

Unilateral leg extensions (weak leg only)
    70 x 10
    70 x 10 --- officially toast...

BICEPS

Preloaded E-Z bar curls (Preloaded straight BB were taken, so I had to settle for the dreaded E-Z curl bar)
    65 x 10
    85 x 6
    105 x 6 --- I'm still on the "curls for the girls program", so the sets I do for 6 reps could probably be pushed to 8-10 reps, but I hold back to save the arm.

BB curls with orange resistance bands (+ 30 lbs on each side; variable resistance notation: weight at start of rep to weight at the end of the rep)
    72 - 132 x 10
    72 - 132 x 10
    72 - 132 x 10

Weight stack preacher curl machine
    70 x 7 --- drop set...
    50 x 6--6 --- rest/pause

FOREARMS

Hammer curl - mini rack run
    40 x 7
    45 x 7
    50 x 7
    45 x 7
    40 x 7

BB reverse wrist curls (kneeling over flat bench)
    60 x 12
    60 x 10

Raw isometric BB holds in power rack (exercise to rest ratio in sec)
    225 x 4, (15 sec:10 sec)
    315 x 4, (5 sec: 15 sec)

Standing BB wrist curls behind back
    225 x 7
    185 x 12
    185 x 10-4-2 ---rest/pause

"Crowbar" pronation/supination (notation in sets x reps; weight unknown; using lever arm length of bar to increase/decrease the weight)
    2 x 10 R --- pronation
    2 x 10 L
    2 x 10 R --- supination
    2 x 10 L

Quad day = no cardio

Impressions:
    Squats - Well, what can I say? I am a bodybuilder before I am a powerbuilder. I thought that I might hit 405 again, but I promised myself that I would not go into the 400s again until I attain choirboy form in the mid- to high-300s. The 400+ squat that I did a couple of months ago is meaningless in my mind because I am not convinced that my form was spot on. So, I'm not going back until things are right.

Biceps - So far, so good. I bumped up the weight a little (about 5 to 10 lbs depending on the exercise). But really, I felt like the last workout was a little better while using slightly lower weights. We'll see if that holds true once I get the endurance phase of the split routine.

Overall, despite my foibles in the squat rack, this was a kick ass workout. Can't wait for the next one!!!
    Last edited by mharrislove; 09-01-2010 at 07:20 AM.

-=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Overall, despite my foibles in the squat rack, this was a kick ass workout. Can't wait for the next one!!!
    No foibles from my point of view. That was a solid squat extravaganza!

Nice.

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Thanks! I'm also interested in your progress because you're the same height as me. You're much heavier and more buff, but it gives me a kind of a general target to aspire to!
    Hey, if a "skinny-fat to really fat" guy like me can get it together, then I have no doubt that you will meet or exceed anything that I've done so far. Please keep in touch and let me know how your progress is coming along.

Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Hey M - hows things!?

Your plan for fat reduction and not attempt the big diet is spot-on!

FWIW...I use a 3 site b/f measure using calipers and this table. That way I can focus on the main thing - the subcutaneous fat and if thats right then the shape separation etc all fall in line

Think about it.
    Hey, Yak! Thanks for the comments. You raise a fair question, so I'll try to give a fair answer. Essentially, you're talking about measurement theory, so I'll weigh in on your point and what I'm doing. Three things come immediately to mind: accuracy, reliability, and feasibility.

Accuracy: There is no doubt in my mind that my single point caliper measure is an inaccurate measure of BF%. In general, all of the caliper BF assessment methods/formulas (Jackson/Pollock, Parillo, etc.) have significant limitations compared to gold standard measures. Based on my experience and what I see in the mirror, when my caliper assessment says, "10% BF", it could really be anywhere from 9-12%. However, I am merely using it as a datum point to tell me if I am going two steps forward or two steps backwards, which leads to the next point...

Reliability (and validity, too): The major limitation to caliper measurement is reliability. Getting reproducible values is largely dependent on the technician and the instrument, so the practice of me taking these measurements over and over again helps in this regard. Since the "real" value of my BF will remain unknown and is less important than how I look, the key element of the measurement is reliability so I can quantify how I am progressing.

You are right in saying that the subQ measure of BF is the critical one regarding how we appear on stage. But it is certainly not the only important measure. Waist size matters, so keeping an eye on visceral fat (indirectly, of course) via the simple tape measure is also useful (particularly when visceral fat goes down, but subQ does not). Plus, as you know, visceral fat is linked to cortisol levels and insulin sensitivity, so its reduction during dieting may merit some monitoring as well.

Feasibility: There's always a trade off between the best available measure and the one that will actually get done. I am sure that the 3-point method that you suggest is superior to my single-point measure. The thigh measure is notoriously difficult to get on men with any degree of leaness, but I may play around with it a bit and see if I can get my caliper skills in that region up to par again. I'll explore the 3-point method a bit (and maybe compare it to the single point estimate) and see what happens. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks again for your contribution to the thread!

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Solid set today MHL, great work!

No foibles from my point of view. That was a solid squat extravaganza!

Nice.

-=FLEX=-
    Thanks, Flex. Your recent squat performance will spur me on to get my house in order!

Solid set today MHL, great work!
    Thanks, man. One more day to log in tomorrow, and then time for a well-earned rest day!

Smile

Very interesting reading!

That is a lot of squatting too! I'm impressed and support your adherence to good form and not increasing weight without good form. I kind of have a bad habit about that but I eventually drop the weight down to a managable amount.

How do you like the Jefferson squats? I think I've seen Flex, or maybe someone else, mention doing them in his journals. I haven't tried them before.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My head is still spinning from deadlines at the job, but the show must go on.
    I hear you.... my company has been in a downsizing for the past 3-4 years and every time a department head leaves, their area gets added to mine.........

Squats (in power rack, using weight belt; no wraps)
    bar x 10
    135 x 8
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    365 x 3 --- F*ck! (bail on rep 4) My assessment: rep 1 = sh!tty, rep 2 = sh!ttier, rep 3 = sh!ttiest; start over, jackass...
    315 x 3 --- focus on getting low and breaking at the hips first....good.
    335 x 3 --- keep the back tight! Better...
    355 x 3 --- put it all together...yes, much better. Let's get this...
    365 x 4 --- Yes, yes, yes! 'bout time...
    ------- 5x5 portion of our program
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    Some seriously impressive squatting MHL. Those 5 x 5s after they heaviest sets really stand out. You're going to scare the competition when you unveil the wheels.

Jeffersons (using Oly bar from floor; standard mixed grip)
    205 x 6
    205 x 6
    205 x 6
    205 x 6
    My good friend George

......Movin' on up

Narrow stance squat machine
    200 x 15
    200 x 15
    200 x 15 --- @#$%^&!
    I like the narrows with a box. I find that I can go 6" apart that way.

Impressions:
    Squats - Well, what can I say? I am a bodybuilder before I am a powerbuilder. I thought that I might hit 405 again, but I promised myself that I would not go into the 400s again until I attain choirboy form in the mid- to high-300s. The 400+ squat that I did a couple of months ago is meaningless in my mind because I am not convinced that my form was spot on. So, I'm not going back until things are right.
    Great discipline...

Glad to see another "volume guy" in the journals!
    David

Very interesting reading!

That is a lot of squatting too! I'm impressed and support your adherence to good form and not increasing weight without good form. I kind of have a bad habit about that but I eventually drop the weight down to a managable amount.

How do you like the Jefferson squats? I think I've seen Flex, or maybe someone else, mention doing them in his journals. I haven't tried them before.
    Msru,

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I'm trying to stay in the iron game for the long haul this time around, so I'll keep hammering away at the form until I get it right.

Here are a few links that features the banter among myself, 2nd_Chance, and others in his journal regarding Jeffersons:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...postcount=6044

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post504394911

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post536064353

If you look at most natural bodybuilders, they tend to have a common set of weakness: namely, under-developed legs and a lack of a back. Given the anatomy of the thighs, I would argue that many of the largest muscles in this region are rarely trained directly.

While it is true that the adductors are recruited during squatting exercises (particularly when using a wider stance). Those that lack natural talent in this body region can benefit from more targeted work. Jeffersons do an excellent job at recruiting the adductors of the thigh and the hamstring group. You will also feel decent quad recruitment (especially if those muscles are worked prior to the Jeffs). The term "Jefferson squat" is a misnomer since lifts that involve the concentric lifting of a bar off of the floor are technically a form of a deadlift. And you will sense this as you perform the lift; you will suck air during Jeffs just like you do with reps of deads.

Anyway, Jeffersons are one of my secret weapons and I highly recommend them.

I hear you.... my company has been in a downsizing for the past 3-4 years and every time a department head leaves, their area gets added to mine.........

Some seriously impressive squatting MHL. Those 5 x 5s after they heaviest sets really stand out. You're going to scare the competition when you unveil the wheels.
    Yes, it's funny how companies think that, somehow, the time-space continuum ceases to exist as they merge one or more eliminated positions into your singular job description. What happened to the "Great Frontier" they talked about ages ago when computers in the work place were supposed to create mountains of discretionary time for the typical US worker?

*Off soapbox* ... Thanks. I hope that you're right about the retooled wheels!

My good friend George

......Movin' on up
    Dude, you have put that damn theme song in head where it will reside all day long!

Great discipline...

Glad to see another "volume guy" in the journals!
    I know! But, how a Mentzer acolyte became a volume guy is simply beyond my comprehension...

I know! But, how a Mentzer acolyte became a volume guy is simply beyond my comprehension...
    My guess is because it works for us natty guys.

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Day 5: Strength Phase; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Overhead presses w/calves

Nothing about this week has gone smoothly, but some how the stuff that needs to get done gets done. I was in need of a little rest and the caffeine had not quite kicked in by the time I arrived at the gym (an hour late, no less). But then again, that's why God made iPods. Crank "Rage Against the Machine" to TEN and go tear some sh!t up...:

MHL's Iron Lab: the Grand 5x5 Experiment

DELTS/TRAPS

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • dips, 1 x 15
    • int/ext shoulder rotation (rotator cuff), 2 x 10/2 x 10
    • seated military presses, 2 x 8-10 @ 25% and 50% of the stack

Seated military presses in Smith
    bar x 10 wu
    135 x 8 wu

----------- 5 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

Standing presses in power rack
    bar x 10 wu
    115 x 7 wu

----------- 5 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Upright BB rows in power rack (using Oly bar)
    bar x 10 wu
    ----------- 5 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Leaning, single-arm DB laterals (no rest)
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5 --- uhm...pretty pumped at this point.

DB front raises
    35 x 5
    35 x 5
    35 x 5
    35 x 5
    35 x 5

Shrugs
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5
    315 x 5

CALVES

Standing heel raises (max stack = 300)
    120 x 10 wu
    220 x 10 wu

----------- 5 x 5
    300 x 5
    300 x 5
    300 x 5
    300 x 5
    300 x 5

Sloped heel raises (max load = 5 plates per side)
    4 plates x 10 wu
    ----------- 5 x 5
    5 plates x 5
    5 plates x 5
    5 plates x 5
    5 plates x 5
    5 plates x 5

Seated heel raises
    4 plates x 5
    4 plates x 5
    4 plates x 5
    4 plates x 5
    4 plates x 5 --- should have gone heavier on this exercise; decreasing rest intervals to about 5-10 sec helped a little...

Cardio: treadmill, moderate intensity, 30 min

Impressions: I had no idea that I was going to try this, but by the time I got to the 3rd set of seated presses, the idea was hatched and I had to do it. All of the pre-workout fatigue I had earlier in the morning had melted halfway through the workout as I embraced the 5x5 challenge. I can definitely see taking this on again during my next strength phase. Somehow, some way, this turned out to be a great session.

On a side note, I really learned how to disengage my biceps during the concentric portion of the upright row this morning. Through subtle changes in my angle of pull and thinking of the elbow as just "hooks" (similar to what we do during lat pulldowns), I was really able to drive the movement with my shoulders. I will explore this minor aspect of form further once the next delt session comes around.
    Last edited by mharrislove; 09-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Excellent session today MHL and equally outstanding choice of tunes.

Excellent session today MHL and equally outstanding choice of tunes.
    Hey! I'm glad that somebody out there appreciates that stuff! Thanks for stopping by the neighborhood.

My guess is because it works for us natty guys.

-=FLEX=-
    I can't argue with an airtight logical argument like that. Mentzer and Jones, forgive me...

Nice work today.

40lbs on lateral raises? Never in my life. Wow.

Solid pressing too.

-=FLEX=-

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    That's a lot of work!

Great job.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

[

Seated military presses in Smith
    bar x 10 wu
    135 x 8 wu

----------- 5 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    No better way to start shoulder day! Strong work.

Leaning, single-arm DB laterals (no rest)
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5
    40 x 5 --- uhm...pretty pumped at this point.
    You like?

Can you explain sloped heel raises to me? I need some fresh calf work.
    David

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thought I would come in and see what the big men were lifting. Looks like I've got some work to do if I want to be one of the big men

Great back and forth conversation going on in here MHL! A guy could learn something if he just pays attention...

No better way to start shoulder day! Strong work.

You like?
    Considering that my working sets are pretty close to your warm-up sets, you are being kind. But graciousness is rare quality that is most appreciated.

Can you explain sloped heel raises to me? I need some fresh calf work.
    While looking for the pic I found out that the device is also called a "45-degree calf raise":

Whatever you call it, it is one of my favorite exercises for calves.