prettyface has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fainting during weight training...

Once before, and again yesterday, I fainted/almost fainted during weight training. The routine is not too intense - in fact, I'm not sore at all today!
    I had only done leg presses, and started was on my third set of squats, when I started feeling like my heart was beating out of control. My vision started filling up with white spots, and I made my way to the locker room. I spent way too much quality time with the carpet in there, barely able to breath, wanting to throw up, and very much not able to stand up. I couldn't even sit on the ***** benches!
    I don't know what a heart-attack feels like, but I honestly think I felt pretty close. BUT, half an hour later I was fine other than feeling weak.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I really don't want to hit the floor, and not working out isn't an option.

Thanks!!!!

darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    diaaaabeeeeetus, seriously go check

Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Drink lots of water, make sure you eat a few hours before and have something small and an energy drink just before/during the workout and see how it goes.
    If I feel faint it's due to not eating enough
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆ [London]

cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    doctor, and dont do energy drinks wtf kinda advice is that

Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dom! is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cobfab12 View Post
    doctor, and dont do energy drinks wtf kinda advice is that
    I didn't notice the white spots bit and was genuinely about to write another message saying:
    The white spots you see could be diabetes. Get it checked like the other 2 said.
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆ [London]

Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by prettyface View Post
    Once before, and again yesterday, I fainted/almost fainted during weight training. The routine is not too intense - in fact, I'm not sore at all today!
    I had only done leg presses, and started was on my third set of squats, when I started feeling like my heart was beating out of control. My vision started filling up with white spots, and I made my way to the locker room. I spent way too much quality time with the carpet in there, barely able to breath, wanting to throw up, and very much not able to stand up. I couldn't even sit on the ***** benches!
    I don't know what a heart-attack feels like, but I honestly think I felt pretty close. BUT, half an hour later I was fine other than feeling weak.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? I really don't want to hit the floor, and not working out isn't an option.

Thanks!!!!
    I am not a medical doctor and am not offering any medical advise BUT IMHO I would suggest that you see your doctor IMMEDIATELY! Syncope (meaning fainting) can be a sign of cardiac disease or other medical conditions which can potentially be dangerous! There is no point discussing this further on this chatroom UNTIL you have a comprehensive cardiac examination to rule out the possibility of a serious cardiac problem. NO ONE on this board can determine the underlying cause of your syncope so please call your doctor immediately.

starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50) starvin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    are you breathing when u lift

And the doctor said....

Hey guys!
    I talked to my doctor yesterday evening. She thinks it was definately dehydration. I've been on some new medication for about a month, which apparently makes you more likely to dehydrate.
    So, I'm okie-dokie now!
    Thanks for all your advice guys!

Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys!
    I talked to my doctor yesterday evening. She thinks it was definately dehydration. I've been on some new medication for about a month, which apparently makes you more likely to dehydrate.
    So, I'm okie-dokie now!
    Thanks for all your advice guys!
    I see that you spoke with your doctor and "she thinks it was definitely dehydration" BUT did she perform an in person face-to-face physical examination (ie, listening to your heart with a stethoscope, blood pressure, etc) including an EKG? IMO without a physical examination that rules out other possible causes it is not possible to say that your loss of consciousness was "definitely" due to dehydration. Your doctor may ultimately be correct BUT not until she completes the examination. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Beachmaster; 09-19-2008 at 03:52 AM.

Registered User ChiseledLikeIce's Avatar
    ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChiseledLikeIce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Beachmaster View Post
    I see that you spoke with your doctor and "she thinks it was definitely dehydration" BUT did she perform an in person face-to-face physical examination (ie, listening to your heart with a stethoscope, blood pressure, etc) including an EKG? IMO without a physical examination that rules out other possible causes it is not possible to say that your loss of consciousness was "definitely" due to dehydration. Your doctor may be ultimately be correct BUT not until she completes the examination. Just my opinion.
    I agree.

Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Huf_Arted has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Scheduled an appointment with mine today! Same thing happened to me about a week ago. I was doing a deadlift and got about halfway up and determined it was too much and sat it back down then all went black, lost hearing etc.. Luckily I was standing in front of a squat rack and looped my arm over it before my legs went limp. After regaining composure I went for it again and stood it out. I was dehydrated and had a poor diet that day but I am headed to the doc anyway. Can't hurt and the money spent will be well worth it.

Certainly worth seeing the doctor, that is one scary feeling. As far as the fact that she didn't perform a physical on me in person, I saw her only a couple of weeks ago when I went onto new medication. We did a full yearly check-up then, including around 20 different tests, just for overall health.
    I've been working on getting my health under control for about six months... my father-in-law has had four heart bypasses in the last year, and it scares me to death.
    I have done almost every kind of check-up I could get done! LOL!
    I've had everything from fasting glucose tolerance, lipid profiles, and on and on....
    That's why I posted here. I just felt like it had to be something related to working out, since all signs point to perfect health (except for obesity).
    Beachmaster, you're right - there is a need for an examination. The thing is that is been very recently when I saw her, and I'll be seeing her again on the 25th.
    I appreciate your posts, though. I really didn't think it was that big of deal at first - I just didn't want to cause a scene at my friend's gym!

Certainly worth seeing the doctor, that is one scary feeling. As far as the fact that she didn't perform a physical on me in person, I saw her only a couple of weeks ago when I went onto new medication. We did a full yearly check-up then, including around 20 different tests, just for overall health.
    I've been working on getting my health under control for about six months... my father-in-law has had four heart bypasses in the last year, and it scares me to death.
    I have done almost every kind of check-up I could get done! LOL!
    I've had everything from fasting glucose tolerance, lipid profiles, and on and on....
    That's why I posted here. I just felt like it had to be something related to working out, since all signs point to perfect health (except for obesity).
    Beachmaster, you're right - there is a need for an examination. The thing is that is been very recently when I saw her, and I'll be seeing her again on the 25th.
    I appreciate your posts, though. I really didn't think it was that big of deal at first - I just didn't want to cause a scene at my friend's gym!
    Hi Prettyface, In fact it does'nt matter that you had a number of medical tests performed a couple of weeks ago. The fact is that you experienced syncope (loss of consciousness) on at least two occasions AFTER these tests were performed which necessitates an immediate examination at an emergency room or by your physician to rule out cardiac or neurological conditions that may have caused the loss of consciousness. IMO your doctor should have insisted that you be examined even if she thought that you were suffering from dehydration because there was no way she could have been 100% certain. It may very well be that you were dehydrated or there are other benign causes but the more significant and potentially dangerous medical conditions need to be initially ruled out! Please let us know how you do.
    Last edited by Beachmaster; 09-19-2008 at 03:54 AM.

triptych has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

re:

Glad I did a search before starting a new topic.

This happened to me earlier today. It occurred when I began doing squats after I had done a heavy load of leg presses. I wasn't even lifting much. I didn't faint. I just saw some spots and had a feeling like I wanted to faint, sat down for a moment and drank some water. I could have stayed standing though. After about 1 minute I felt perfectly fine again and continued on with my leg workout but I left the remainder of my squat sets. It's the first time it's happened to me. Before I went to the gym I had a scrambled egg sandwich and a cup of tea so that's salt and caffeine which would have dehydrated me. Also take into account that this was breakfast so my body would have been naturally dehydrated from the absence of fluids during sleep.

I think it's important to never exert yourself on an empty stomach as your body will just shut down if it doesn't have any calories to burn but obviously salty foods aren't the way to go.