parsonic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recovering - cervical herniated disc. Which exercises can I do, and which I can't?

Hi,
    Im recovering from a painfull cervical herniated disc, and now it's time to come back to the gym.

I would like to know if there is a forbidden exercise which I should forget about for good, and which are great for neck / shoulder strength.

Of course I do know some, but I'm afraid of doing anything that will do more harm than good.

Thanks!

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you been to physical therapy? if yes ask the PT about this

Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

I'm taking Pilates classes with a PT. But would like to hear other opinions too. My PT seems "afraid" and I believe she's being overcautious, as she's giving me exercises way too light for my capacity.
    thanks!

hardrockbama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by parsonic View Post
    Hi,
    Im recovering from a painfull cervical herniated disc, and now it's time to come back to the gym.

I would like to know if there is a forbidden exercise which I should forget about for good, and which are great for neck / shoulder strength.

Of course I do know some, but I'm afraid of doing anything that will do more harm than good.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I've had two of them. C4-5 and C5-6. I first had 5-6 fused about 6 years ago, then about a year ago had 4-5. I'm only 39........... But I digress. My neuro told me to do what I felt comfortable doing after my 6-8 week bone healing period. Some things just didn't feel that great at first - working on my traps, Military Presses, deadlifts.... anything that put a strain on my neck. I can now do them, just not real heavy. Start off really light. Follow your PT and MD instructions and take your time getting back into the groove. It took me 6 months to get back to 75% of where I was before and I'm still not 100% there yet a year later, nor do I know if I will ever be.

Also, all of those exercises that work out your neck that everyone tells you not to do, DON"T do them! Of course, if you have any extremity weakness/nerve damage, you will have to work around that. My grip is not the same anymore, maybe 90% of what it used to be. Good Luck and stay safe.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you don't think you are getting out of your PT what you should, switch. But, chances are she is not being overcautious. She may not be giving you exercises up to your full capacity, but you are not at full capacity.

I have a herniated disc between my L5-S1. It was severe enough to give my nerves significant trauma - my right leg and foot have been numb for 7 weeks. You do not want to worsen the herniation and end up with something similar, or even worse.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

thanks everyone for your responses!

Originally Posted by hardrockbama View Post
    Hi,

I've had two of them. C4-5 and C5-6. I first had 5-6 fused about 6 years ago, then about a year ago had 4-5. I'm only 39........... But I digress. My neuro told me to do what I felt comfortable doing after my 6-8 week bone healing period. Some things just didn't feel that great at first - working on my traps, Military Presses, deadlifts.... anything that put a strain on my neck. I can now do them, just not real heavy. Start off really light. Follow your PT and MD instructions and take your time getting back into the groove. It took me 6 months to get back to 75% of where I was before and I'm still not 100% there yet a year later, nor do I know if I will ever be.

Also, all of those exercises that work out your neck that everyone tells you not to do, DON"T do them! Of course, if you have any extremity weakness/nerve damage, you will have to work around that. My grip is not the same anymore, maybe 90% of what it used to be. Good Luck and stay safe.
    Did you loose any mobility of your neck?