Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

fruit doesn't cause insulin spike?

I know that fruit is composed of simple sugar, fructose, but I read that this doesn't cause an insulin spike. Why do people advocate fruit pwo as a simple sugar if it doesn't have that effect?

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mango52 View Post
    I know that fruit is composed of simple sugar, fructose, but I read that this doesn't cause an insulin spike. Why do people advocate fruit pwo as a simple sugar if it doesn't have that effect?
    It will still elevate blood sugar and induce an insulin response especially in an unfed state. And you don't need to "spike" your insulin to achieve the anti-catabolic and anabolic effects.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mango52 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    It will still elevate blood sugar and induce an insulin response especially in an unfed state. And you don't need to "spike" your insulin to achieve the anti-catabolic and anabolic effects.
    Well I never feel the need to "spike" my insulin because I gain weight like it's my job . I never really have bad carbs unless it's a cheat meal, even after lifting. Fruit is really the only simple carb I eat on a regular basis. Is it a bad idea to have fruit at any time during the day then, because of this response? That would really ruin my day lol, but should it be restricted to pwo?

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    It does, just not to the same extent as glucose. It's actually a good option pre-WO as it won't cause hypoglycemia due to insulin overcompensation, but too much can also cause the poopsies, which might be uncomfortable.

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fruit PWO is fine in small amounts as it fills liver glycogen first, not muscle glycogen. If you want a fruit PWO, lean towards starchier ones like bananas.

Well I never feel the need to "spike" my insulin because I gain weight like it's my job . I never really have bad carbs unless it's a cheat meal, even after lifting. Fruit is really the only simple carb I eat on a regular basis. Is it a bad idea to have fruit at any time during the day then, because of this response? That would really ruin my day lol, but should it be restricted to pwo?
    No, fruit need not be avoided at all. Fructose rings in at a whopping 30 or so on the glycemic index, compared to oats, bread, and sweet potatoes that are all between 40-70 depending on the grain and cut of wheat. Low sugar fruits like apples, berries, oranges, etc are fine anytime. Higher GI fruits like bananas, pineapples, etc are also fine, but best left to mornings and PWO meals IMO.

TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheManchild will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Fidelitas626 View Post
    No, fruit need not be avoided at all. Fructose rings in at a whopping 30 or so on the glycemic index, compared to oats, bread, and sweet potatoes that are all between 40-70 depending on the grain and cut of wheat. Low sugar fruits like apples, berries, oranges, etc are fine anytime. Higher GI fruits like bananas, pineapples, etc are also fine, but best left to mornings and PWO meals IMO.
    oh my god

someone on here actually realizes that fruit is good for you, and really wont give you a spike and make you get fat

you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fruit PWO is fine in small amounts as it fills liver glycogen first, not muscle glycogen. If you want a fruit PWO, lean towards starchier ones like bananas.

Thats all that needs to be said in bold above, the main focus of post workout is to REPLENISH muscle glycogen, sure a lil banana here wont hurt, but there are better carb sources out there

dont fear your fruit they are good for you and full of anti-oxidents and vitamins/minerals. EAT UP

Originally Posted by TheManchild View Post
    oh my god

someone on here actually realizes that fruit is good for you, and really wont give you a spike and make you get fat
    That's the way I've always felt, but some of the stuff I read just made me a little skeptical, so I figured I'd ask. Glad to hear that I can still enjoy my apples lol

Why do you say mornings?

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why do you say mornings?
    Insulin sensitivity

rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fructose mainly goes under insulin radar, which has advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore, I see no advantages to eating fruit besides for its nutrients/taste.

No, it will not make you fat (unless consumed in large doses, like anything else), but I tend to stay away from it besides maybe an apple or banana a day.
    member of the 1000lb club (ya rly)

jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jannek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rizoN17 View Post
    Fructose mainly goes under insulin radar, which has advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore, I see no advantages to eating fruit besides for its nutrients/taste.

No, it will not make you fat (unless consumed in large doses, like anything else), but I tend to stay away from it besides maybe an apple or banana a day.
    fruit will never make u fat period

The STFU crew is all about stopping bull****s and the people behind those bull****s!

Have something positive to contribute? Then go ahead.

Have something useless to contribute? Then STFU!!!

sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbmarti2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Unless you are specially going low carb, fruit is always good for you. If you're really worried you could have some nuts to deaden the insulin response.

Originally Posted by sbmarti2 View Post
    you could have some nuts to deaden the insulin response.
    That was my next question . One of my favorite snacks is an apple and some almonds, so I was hoping that the almonds were lowering the GL of the meal, which is what you're saying. I was never really worried about fruit in the past at all. I used to have it as a prebed snack all the time, but now that I'm back cutting again I've been doing some reading and I get all these damn mixed feelings haha. Glad this is cleared up though. It shouldn't be a problem, even pre-bed then I presume

Originally Posted by jannek View Post
    fruit will never make u fat period
    Good

Originally Posted by rizoN17 View Post
    Furthermore, I see no advantages to eating fruit besides for its nutrients/taste.

I think those are pretty significant advantages. They are probably the two main reasons for ever eating anything lol

Insulin sensitivity
    Why would you want an insulin spike in the morning though. What would be the purpose any other time besides post workout

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That was my next question . One of my favorite snacks is an apple and some almonds, so I was hoping that the almonds were lowering the GL of the meal, which is what you're saying. I was never really worried about fruit in the past at all. I used to have it as a prebed snack all the time, but now that I'm back cutting again I've been doing some reading and I get all these damn mixed feelings haha. Glad this is cleared up though. It shouldn't be a problem, even pre-bed then I presume
    Cortisol is elevated in the morning and raising (again not spiking) insulin assists in turning off the catabolic switch.

Nuts may or may not attenute blood/insulin sugar rise - it will be dose dependant ... you'll probably need a good amount of fat to make an impact... at night your liver glycogen is probably well stocked (depending on diet) ... I bet you know where this is going ...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Chances are any protein you are eating with the fruit will have more effect on insulin than the fruit.

I bet you know where this is going ...
    Haha, I guess I probably should know, but....

Cortisol is elevated in the morning and raising (again not spiking) insulin assists in turning off the catabolic switch.

Nuts may or may not attenute blood/insulin sugar rise - it will be dose dependant ... you'll probably need a good amount of fat to make an impact... at night your liver glycogen is probably well stocked (depending on diet) ... I bet you know where this is going ...
    Solid statment as always in10city, but i got a quick question regarding veggins and an insulin response

i got into an argument with a person at the gym saying that even having veggies pre-bed releases too big of an insulin response for a good bodybuilding diet (referring to green veggies) .. was i wrong in telling this guy he was a clown?

For example, 4 eggs 3 egg whites and a side of broccoli about 6oz worth, how would that differ from eating say cottage cheese and peanut butter as their is probably more carbs in PB and CC then in the eggs / broccoli

sorry for throwing this off topic

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    Solid statment as always in10city, but i got a quick question regarding veggins and an insulin response

i got into an argument with a person at the gym saying that even having veggies pre-bed releases too big of an insulin response for a good bodybuilding diet (referring to green veggies) .. was i wrong in telling this guy he was a clown?

For example, 4 eggs 3 egg whites and a side of broccoli about 6oz worth, how would that differ from eating say cottage cheese and peanut butter as their is probably more carbs in PB and CC then in the eggs / broccoli

CC+PB I'd bet would give a much bigger insulin response. CC is likely to be quite insulinogenic. Fat isn't going to blunt that too much although it would probably lower the GI.

It's not the carbs in either of those meals that is the insulin-raising factor. It's the type of protein.
    Last edited by Jules Verne; 03-12-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Originally Posted by Jules Verne View Post
    CC+PB I'd bet would give a much bigger insulin response. CC is likely to be quite insulinogenic. Fat isn't going to blunt that too much although it would probably lower the GI.

It's not the carbs in either of those meals that is the insulin-raising factor. It's the type of protein.
    i see what your saying, but since green veggies are barley counted by anyone for the amount of carbs and their insulin response is so minimal, should I even bother raising this up to the guy when i run into him in the gym 2marow to prove to him hes a moron for stating having carbs like broccoli before bed release too big of an insulin spike for a person REAL serious about bodybuilding.

Don't worry about going off topic, as long as we can get back on after this . Although I may not know as much as in10city, I'd definitely have to agree with you that the guy was a clown. Veggies don't create a big insulin response.

Jules Verne, would you mind elaborating on that statement. That's the second time you referred to the protein having a higher insulin response. Does protein in whole foods have that much of an effect on insulin?

juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I got a quick response that is put in terms EVERYONE can understand:

NOBODY HAS EVER GOTTEN FAT FROM EATING FRUIT...BOTTOMLINE.
    Avatar Pic was from Oct 2008. Then gained some weight as all I do is WORK!

Started the 2013 Summer Cut in Decemeber. Was at 201 lbs after some nice gains....

12/12/12: 201
    1/4/13: 197
    1/31/13: 192
    2/15/13: 188
    2/28/13: 185
    3/15/13: 182

GOAL is 175 by 4/15/13....

"It never occurs to me that there are things that I can't do."

Failure is not defeat...Defeat is accepting failure as the final outcome...
    -Me

Don't worry about going off topic, as long as we can get back on after this . Although I may not know as much as in10city, I'd definitely have to agree with you that the guy was a clown. Veggies don't create a big insulin response.

Jules Verne, would you mind elaborating on that statement. That's the second time you referred to the protein having a higher insulin response. Does protein in whole foods have that much of an effect on insulin?
    Depends on the carbs and protein sources and quantity. I'll try to dig up the paper, but I know it's been posted before - probably by in10city.

Veggies don't create a big insulin response.
    Even though 1/2 the carbs are sugar!

Depends on the carbs and protein sources and quantity. I'll try to dig up the paper, but I know it's been posted before - probably by in10city.
    Probably these...

> http://www.humankinetics.com/eJourna.../pdfs/5642.pdf
    > http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) juice1348 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Even though 1/2 the carbs are sugar!
    Eat as many veggies as you can....I eat a lot of fruit as well...

Like I said...NOBODY ever got fat from eating fruit...and/or veggies.
    Avatar Pic was from Oct 2008. Then gained some weight as all I do is WORK!

Started the 2013 Summer Cut in Decemeber. Was at 201 lbs after some nice gains....

12/12/12: 201
    1/4/13: 197
    1/31/13: 192
    2/15/13: 188
    2/28/13: 185
    3/15/13: 182

GOAL is 175 by 4/15/13....

"It never occurs to me that there are things that I can't do."

Failure is not defeat...Defeat is accepting failure as the final outcome...
    -Me

It really will be small in comparison to other food items - especially only 6 oz worth ...

Now if you are really carb sensitive or entering a competition, then that's one thing where extreme measures like carb cutoffs may or may not be a talking point ... but for the vast majority the impact is minutiae in the bigger picture.

I'd be pre-diabetic & globulous with all of the broccoli I literally graze on throughout the day if this were the case

pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The way I think of fruit like apples is that to get 2500 calories I would have to eat 23 large apples or 33 medium apples. While I can finish a large pizza that is 2500 calories I couldnt imagine eating 33 medium apples in one sitting. I dont see how anyone can eat enough fruit to make them fat.

jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jorham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i know for a fact that fruit causes spikes in blood sugar. Simply bacause im a diabetic. It will disperse in an hour. So ur insulin will be workin to get that sugar outa ur body
    YEAH BUDDDY! LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!
    -Ronnie Coleman