Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sheiko + olympic lifts

Adding fourth day to three day sheiko to work on snatch and clean and jerk.

Reason - expand my expertise and experience with the different disciplines of lifting to benefit my coaching of high school athletes in the future (and for fun).

I'll be training with a belt and wrist wraps.
    Monday sheiko
    Wednesday - sheiko
    Friday - sheiko
    Saturday - oly lifts

I would like an example session working on the snatch and clean and jerk with comparable/less tonnage than the following example of deadlifts.

deadlift
    % - sets - reps
    50% 1x4
    60% 1x4
    70% 2x3
    80% 5x3

I would also be able to do front squats 4-5 times per month as my second round of squats. I usually sumo deadlift and squat wide so there will be less carry over I imagine.

I have attached a spread sheet for those somehow unfamiliar with Sheiko (I will be using the #29-40 plans).

Advice regarding getting more olympic lifting into my usual powerlifting training is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Heavy_Beats; 12-27-2010 at 05:09 AM.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you already proficient with the lifts (snatch, c&j)?

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    Are you already proficient with the lifts (snatch, c&j)?
    Have not done jerks before. I know how to snatch and clean but need more practice, I have only been practicing them properly for about 2 months.

In my first post I said Sheiko was my usual training. I am actually doing Madcows 5x5 atm but will go back to Sheiko sometime next year.

Thinking cap on.

Here are my current thoughts and questions I would appreciate if I can get some help and advice with these.

Weekly Schedule

Mon: Cleans 3x2, Sheiko
    Wednesday: Snatch 3x2, Sheiko
    Friday: Sheiko
    Saturday: Snatch 3x2, Cleans 3x2, Jerk from Rack 5x3, Drop Snatch 5x3.

I'll split sheiko sessions when time necessitates (uni). I will start a training log with videos from each session for analysis.

2011 Schedule

I plan to compete in two weightlifting competitions (6 months to scrutinize my technique for my first competition). I will be competing at 105kg.

4 more weeks of Madcows 5x5 + deload week
    #29 + #32
    Bristow Open (powerlifting) 21-Mar

#29 + #32
    Singleton (powerlifting) 21-May

Edit: 4 weeks
    Titan Club Comp (weightlifting) 12-Jun

#29 + #37 + #32
    Lake Macquarie (powerlifting) 3-Sep

Edit: 4 weeks
    Open Competition (weightlifting) 1 Oct

#29 + #32
    Matti Tikka (powerlifting) 3-Dec

As you can see I will have four weeks to prepare primarily for the weightlifting competitions

Question time:
    1. The membership form mentions some thing strange "4) Club Fee: 3-5 person $250.00, 6-10 members $300, 11 or more members $350 *a person must be affiliated with a club or become a member of an affiliated club." My understanding is that if you want to have a club affiliated with the federation you have to pay money but does the part in bold mean I have to join some club hundreds of kilometers away from me to compete?

2. What are the rules concerning belts and wrist wraps?

3. The bar catches on my belt how can this be fixed?

4. Will a camera with 640x480 30 fps video be sufficient for recording my technique?

5. Is there any good reason for using a split stance when receiving the bar, can I just receive the bar in a squat?

6. How can I make best use of the four weeks before a competition? I can train as much or as little as necessary and pick up the powerlifting after the olympic weightlifting competition.
    Last edited by Heavy_Beats; 12-30-2010 at 04:10 AM.

DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As long as bench press is omitted (so that you only DL, squat and mili-press) sheiko might be effective. But one oly day a week is low. From a technical standpoint, you should at least warm-up or cooldown with light oly lifts on your sheiko days and have you designated oly day as a heavy oly day.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Heavy_Beats View Post
    Here are my current thoughts and questions I would appreciate if I can get some help and advice with these.

Weekly Schedule

Mon: Cleans 3x2, Sheiko
    Wednesday: Snatch 3x2, Sheiko
    Friday: Sheiko
    Saturday: Snatch 3x2, Cleans 3x2, Jerk from Rack 5x3, Drop Snatch 5x3.

I'll split sheiko sessions when time necessitates (uni). I will start a training log with videos from each session for analysis.

2011 Schedule

I plan to compete in two weightlifting competitions (6 months to scrutinize my technique for my first competition). I will be competing at 105kg.

4 more weeks of Madcows 5x5 + deload week
    #29 + #32
    Bristow Open (powerlifting) 21-Mar

#29 + #32
    Singleton (powerlifting) 21-May

3 weeks
    Titan Club Comp (weightlifting) 12-Jun

#29 + #37 + #32
    Lake Macquarie (powerlifting) 3-Sep

3 weeks
    Open Competition (weightlifting) 1 Oct

#29 + #32
    Matti Tikka (powerlifting) 3-Dec

As you can see I will have three weeks to prepare primarily for the weightlifting competitions

Question time:
    1. The membership form mentions some thing strange "4) Club Fee: 3-5 person $250.00, 6-10 members $300, 11 or more members $350 *a person must be affiliated with a club or become a member of an affiliated club." My understanding is that if you want to have a club affiliated with the federation you have to pay money but does the part in bold mean I have to join some club hundreds of kilometers away from me to compete? I don't know the answer to this, maybe someone from Australia can chime in and answer.

2. What are the rules concerning belts and wrist wraps? Look up IWF rules. Belt cannot be more than about 4" wide, and there is something on the wraps, but they will be spelled out on IWF rules.

3. The bar catches on my belt how can this be fixed? What kind of belt?? Usually, not much, except don't use belt, or use a velcro belt without a buckle. You could turn it so that the buckle is to the side.

4. Will a camera with 640x480 30 fps video be sufficient for recording my technique? Not sure, don't know enough techie to answer, but probably yes.

5. Is there any good reason for using a split stance when receiving the bar, can I just receive the bar in a squat? Split stance is generally more stable and allows for more error in catching the bar, but you don't have to use it, so long as bar goes to arms length, you can catch in 1/4 squat, half-squat, full squat, split stance with either leg forward, etc.
    6. How can I make best use of the three weeks before a competition? I can train as much or as little as necessary and pick up the powerlifting after the olympic weightlifting competition. During the three weeks, lift every day with snatch, clean & jerk, and squat, working up to max for day, or slightly lower.
    See answers in bold above. These are just my opinions, so maybe you'll get some others and decide what you want to do.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

jacked and pale 4 lyfe ProfDrBeareagle's Avatar
    ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfDrBeareagle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sheiko + olympic lifting is a bad idea and is not going to work. The weightlifting is going to detract from your powerlifting training, and weightlifting once a week won't be enough to make you better at weightlifting.
    Multiply at 308
    Squat - 960
    Bench - 680
    Deadlift - 610

Originally Posted by DankDangles View Post
    As long as bench press is omitted (so that you only DL, squat and mili-press) sheiko might be effective. But one oly day a week is low. From a technical standpoint, you should at least warm-up or cooldown with light oly lifts on your sheiko days and have you designated oly day as a heavy oly day.
    Would I need to do more practice than the following in the preparatory phase?
    Mon/Wed (Sheiko afterwards mon, wed, Fri)
    Snatch: 50% 5r, 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% 3r x 5s
    Clean: 50% 5r, 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% (3+1)r x 5s (cleans with a Jerk on the last rep of the top sets)
    Drop Snatch: 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% 3r x 3s

On Saturday I could Snatch and Clean & Jerk up to a new max except the week before a powerlifting competition.

Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    See answers in bold above. These are just my opinions, so maybe you'll get some others and decide what you want to do.
    "During the three weeks, lift every day with snatch, clean & jerk, and squat, working up to max for day, or slightly lower."

Edit: I just figured out I will have a full month between the powerlifting and both of the weightlifting competitions.

Something like this for Snatch, Clean and jerk and Squat (front or back squat)?
    50% 5 reps
    60% 3 reps
    70% 3 reps
    80% 2 reps
    90% 1 reps
    95% 1 reps
    100% 1 reps

Sounds like weightlifting Broz style. How should I taper for the competition?

The bandages may be made of gauze, medical crepe or leather. A one-piece
    elastic bandage or rubberised kneecap, which allows free movement, may be
    worn over the knees. This latter piece of equipment cannot be reinforced in
    any way.
    Since the wraps are not made of "gauze, medical crepe or leather" my wrist wraps are forbidden no biggy. I'll not bother with a belt yet since I will be using such light weights.

By the way here is my most recent competition
    Last edited by Heavy_Beats; 12-30-2010 at 04:06 AM.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Heavy_Beats View Post
    Would I need to do more practice than the following in the preparatory phase?
    Mon/Wed (Sheiko afterwards mon, wed, Fri)
    Snatch: 50% 5r, 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% 3r x 5s
    Clean: 50% 5r, 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% (3+1)r x 5s (cleans with a Jerk on the last rep of the top sets)
    Drop Snatch: 60% 3r, 70% 3r, 80% 3r x 3s

On Saturday I could Snatch and Clean & Jerk up to a new max except the week before a powerlifting competition.

"During the three weeks, lift every day with snatch, clean & jerk, and squat, working up to max for day, or slightly lower."

Edit: I just figured out I will have a full month between the powerlifting and both of the weightlifting competitions.

Something like this for Snatch, Clean and jerk and Squat (front or back squat)?
    50% 5 reps
    60% 3 reps
    70% 3 reps
    80% 2 reps
    90% 1 reps
    95% 1 reps
    100% 1 reps

Sounds like weightlifting Broz style. How should I taper for the competition?

Since the wraps are not made of "gauze, medical crepe or leather" my wrist wraps are forbidden no biggy. I'll not bother with a belt yet since I will be using such light weights.
    Okay, I don't know much about the Sheiko programs, so take that for what it's worth. I would not go as heavy on both lifts during the week before your main workout. I would just do some tech work with one lift Mon, the other lift Wed and would not go above 65-80% for something like 2-3 sets of doubles. You just want something that is quick and as technically proficient as possible. Then, on Sat, treat it like a comp day working up to max (in 3 attempts) in each lift and recording each lift and total to see where you're at.

As far as the everyday lifting to prep for the Weightlifting meets, yes very similar to Broz's program. You won't necessarily be able to max each session, but work to max for the day, then 1-3 down sets. During the last week before the meet, get rid of the down sets, and on Wed or Thurs (depending on whether you lift on Sat or Sun), drop the intensity slightly each day. Something like this:
    Mon-Wed - to 90-95% of day
    Thurs - to 80-85%
    Fri - to 70% - no more, cut it off
    Sat - meet - you should feel somewhat refreshed from the two lighter days preceding this

If anyone else has comments as to this, feel free to jump in with suggestions

As to the wrist wraps, take whatever you want to use and ask the ref's, or meet tech director what they will allow. You might be okay.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133