forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post workout protein and dinner?

Hey, here is my issue. I am trying to start a cut (for the very first time) and I am looking to increase the total protein in my diet while limiting my carbs to mostly breakfast and post workout.

I will be working out 3 times a week, around 5pm. After my workout is done, I am looking to take in a whey protein shake (ON gold standard). I know it is necessary to get some carbs post workout along with the protein (insulin spike). Is it fine if I were to take a protein shake right after my workout ends, and then eat dinner 10-15 minutes after? My dinner will consists of carbs and protein, probably a 400-600 calorie meal with around 20-30g of protein and 40-50g of carbs.

Is this a good plan? Later in the night I will eat very little, no carbs probably cottage cheese or almonds as a snack. Is this post workout nutrition plan suitable, or is it too much protein at once? I know the whey protein will digest fast but won't the protein from my meal digest slowly, so then my body will be able to digest all the protein within this meal?

Please help me out here, I am relatively new on the topic of post workout nutrition.

nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nosix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need to read the stickies ASAP!
    JUST SQUAT IT!

pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ya dude start reading and learning. No need for a PWO specific meal and there is nothing wrong with carbs at night. Just focus on good old fashioned food and hit your macros for the day.

Example I workout around 9-11pm, my pre workout meal and post workout meal are my highest carb meals of the day and I try to keep fat low. I eat about every 5 hours, so depending on my workout I'll eat anywhere from 30min to 2 hours after I'm done. I eat meat and potatoes also, not whey and some sort of sugary carb. I then wake up at night and eat a meal with protein, carbs, and fat.

In short, about 70% of my daily carbs are after 7pm, I don't do a PWO shake, and I've never been leaner or stronger in my life.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pshickey View Post
    Ya dude start reading and learning. No need for a PWO specific meal and there is nothing wrong with carbs at night. Just focus on good old fashioned food and hit your macros for the day.

Example I workout around 9-11pm, my pre workout meal and post workout meal are my highest carb meals of the day and I try to keep fat low. I eat about every 5 hours, so depending on my workout I'll eat anywhere from 30min to 2 hours after I'm done. I eat meat and potatoes also, not whey and some sort of sugary carb. I then wake up at night and eat a meal with protein, carbs, and fat.

In short, about 70% of my daily carbs are after 7pm, I don't do a PWO shake, and I've never been leaner or stronger in my life.
    Why do you wake yourself up to eat another meal? WTF
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000)
    I drink lots of water and get up to use the restroom anyways, so why not eat?

I look forward to my chocolate whey and peanut butter sammich every night when I go to bed, its delicious.

I still get my 8 hours of sleep

ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ozen209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I workout in the evening I definitely take whey protein postworkout, and then eat dinner after 20 minutes. Consider taking casein protein before you go to bed, the slow digesting protein will keep your body "anabolic' throughout the night.

Originally Posted by ozen209 View Post
    If I workout in the evening I definitely take whey protein postworkout, and then eat dinner after 20 minutes. Consider taking casein protein before you go to bed, the slow digesting protein will keep your body "anabolic' throughout the night.
    No thanks, I'll stick to my food. I also don't believe in "magical" windows of opportunity PWO.

When get asked I tell all the bro's at my gym this as well, they usually laugh, but it's okay, they will learn someday.

forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I still don't understand. Is the whey protein shake fine on its own? Or should carbs accompany the shake? And is it ideal for me to have a shake right after my workout and have dinner 15 minutes later? I skimmed through some of the stickies and did not find a direct answer to my question.

bump

Originally Posted by forcajovem View Post
    I still don't understand. Is the whey protein shake fine on its own? Or should carbs accompany the shake? And is it ideal for me to have a shake right after my workout and have dinner 15 minutes later? I skimmed through some of the stickies and did not find a direct answer to my question.
    Try to eat real food instead of a shake when you can. What matters is that you hit your macros for the day, if you don't understand this, everything you are asking is irrelevant. Make all your meals well balanced, so yes include carbs. No you don't need a PWO shake right after or food 15min later.

SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump
    Like others said, you need to read the stickies asap. Not just skim them.

None of this PWO shake and meal timing has any relevance at all - lose the bro science.

Since whey is a fast acting protein, isn't it best to take it right after the workout?

I will be doing some reading, but I cant learn about everything in one night, just hoping to figure this one out since I start my cutting schedule tomorrow.

ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmsofIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in theory yes the insulin spike is good after a work out. by all means if it makes you feel productive having a shake and white rice post work out then do so but its not neccesary. just hit your daily macros.

SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It doesn't matter when you eat.

So what you guys are saying it doesnt matter if I take the protein shake with water after the workout, in the morning, before bed.. as long as I take it?

So what you guys are saying it doesnt matter if I take the protein shake with water after the workout, in the morning, before bed.. as long as I take it?
    You don't even need the protein shake, but if it helps you hit your macros, then sure, whenever.