Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Location: Nuneaton, Warwickshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    OnkarUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Average Monthly Muscle Gain

Im sure this is in the forums somewhere? Im just really struggling to find it.

Does anyone know how much muscle (lbs)can be gained on average a month around the age of 35 if an excellent training and diet are adhered to?

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    2.3lbs
    Land of Honalee

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That is a very individual thing and my guess is it is hard, maybe even impossible to say. There has been a rumor however that no gains can be made after 35 so you best get busy!!
    I'm a sad little man

Originally Posted by LyingSac View Post
    2.3lbs
    Cheers

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    also depends on if you are lookign to gain some fat with that. If you dont mind fat coming on then you might go higher, but getting some lean mass on without much fat gain will probably restrict your progress to the 2.3 mentioned previously.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OnkarUK View Post
    Im sure this is in the forums somewhere? Im just really struggling to find it.

Does anyone know how much muscle (lbs)can be gained on average a month around the age of 35 if an excellent training and diet are adhered to?
    1.5lbs but you have to weigh yourself every Monday at 12:00 AM completed naked while saying I am 35 years old. Also once you hit 36 don't even bother as you will lose 1.5lbs of muscle every month from there on.
    On the list for Bannukah

Thanks Tim, Im actually a fat boy and I was trying to get an idea of how long building muscle will take if I decide to focus on pure fat loss for a while.

Have been working on 3 day weights, 3 days aerobics, but considering hitting the fat loss hard for a while.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A natural guy who is older is very lucky to put on more than 5lbs a year in muscle.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    A natural guy who is older is very lucky to put on more than 5lbs a year in muscle.
    So how olds the older guy you speak of? I assume closer to fifty than 35.

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm a sad little man

Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    You pu8lling my finger??

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just telling you, our bodies are only 15% muscle to begin with, meaning you have about 22.5 lbs of muscle at 150 lbs. Putting on more than 5 lbs in a year of muscle is damn near impossible.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

So whos right here?

Is it lyingSac with 2.3 lbs a month or NamTag with 5lbs a year?

Found this article

Based on the research I've looked at, as well as my own personal experience, I'd estimate that the "average" person (if there is such a thing) can expect to gain roughly 2-4% of their initial weight in the form of muscle after six weeks of regular resistance exercise [3, 4, 8].

For example, someone who weighs 180 pounds can expect to gain anywhere from 3-7 pounds of lean mass over a 6-week period. For every pound of muscle you gain, expect to add anywhere from 0.5 to 1 pound of fat. So, if you want to add 10 pounds of lean muscle, expect to gain roughly 15-20 pounds in weight.

Remember that muscle growth is not a linear process, and you won't keep growing at the same rate forever. Over the course of a year, it's rare for most people to add more than 25 pounds of muscle, although it's certainly not unrealistic to gain more than 25 pounds in weight.

So, if you're a beginner on a decent training and nutrition program, you might be able to gain 25 pounds of muscle in your first year of training. In year two, we can cut that number in half, giving you a gain of 10-12 pounds. In year three, the gains will be halved again, giving you 5-6 pounds of new muscle.

Unless you're a teenager with lots of natural anabolic hormones flooding your system, someone with a genetic predisposition towards rapid muscle growth, or you're using anabolic drugs, gaining more than 25 pounds of lean muscle in one year or less is very hard to do.

Looks like 5 lbs is good answer for an advanced lifter, but a noobie can gain pretty good!

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sac picks

Is it lyingSac with 2.3 lbs a month or NamTag with 5lbs a year?
    SAC IS CORRECT SIR.......THIS IS AN AVERAGE NUMBER RESULTS OF COURSE WILL VARY,ON DIET,INTENSITY,AND SO FORTH.
    Land of Honalee

Cheers

Namtrag thank you. Do you possibly have a link to the article, would be nice to read it all.

Lying Sac - thanks too.

who knows if the guy is full of **** or not

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/fail.htm

BTW, my chiro is a bodybuilder, and he told me if I put on more than 2lbs a year of muscle at my age, it would be extraordinary.

I've got plenty of muscle anyway, it's just that I have fat covering it! lol

Smaller, Stronger, Faster gjohnson5's Avatar
    gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gjohnson5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LyingSac View Post
    2.3lbs
    What are you taking?
    tren ace + test E + slin

LOLOLOL
    Kickin your azz everytime

who knows if the guy is full of **** or not

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/fail.htm

BTW, my chiro is a bodybuilder, and he told me if I put on more than 2lbs a year of muscle at my age, it would be extraordinary.

I've got plenty of muscle anyway, it's just that I have fat covering it! lol
    Taking your Chiro's word is no better than taking the word of stranger on this board. It makes me LOL when people try to assign a number to something that has so many variables not the least of which is ones individual genetics. It is one of those questions that every one of us newbs wanted the answer to at one time or another, yet has no direct impact on our succes or failure. As Nike used to always say, Just do it!!
    I'm a sad little man

that's what I do man. That's the point the chiro was making, just get lean, let the muscle take care of itself

He knows a hell of a lot more than most people on this board, he has been through it, plus chiro school is pretty friggin hard and they study anatomy.

this is my chiro

Last edited by namtrag; 03-14-2009 at 05:59 PM.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    Taking your Chiro's word is no better than taking the word of stranger on this board. It makes me LOL when people try to assign a number to something that has so many variables not the least of which is ones individual genetics. It is one of those questions that every one of us newbs wanted the answer to at one time or another, yet has no direct impact on our succes or failure. As Nike used to always say, Just do it!!
    LMFAO some people just never learn man and that is why they stay the same month in, month out, year in year out..........

Nam this is NOT directed at you
    On the list for Bannukah

that's what I do man. That's the point the chiro was making, just get lean, let the muscle take care of itself

He knows a hell of a lot more than most people on this board, he has been through it, plus chiro school is pretty friggin hard and they study anatomy.

this is my chiro

Zero, and when I die I expect that number to be zero. Your point?

I am not trying to question your Chiro's knowledge, just questioning the viability of any answer to the OP's question. Your Chiro or many advanced lifters here may very well know what that answer is as it applies to themselves with all thier personal variables. Trying to give a number to the OP with few if any of those variables known is a waste of time IMO. Even if we knew more about the OP we would still be offering nothing more than a shot in the dark guess.

But that is just my opinion. Not trying to call you or anybody else out on the subject.

I'm a sad little man

I know BH.

But people think they can put on 25lbs of muscle in a year. Just not realistic to expect that. Sure some people can do it!

Just work hard, eat right, and the muscle will take care of itself.

It takes a lot of testosterone to put on muscle and many guys our age (like me) just don't have it.

Others have a lot, and can put on muscle quick.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That would be 1lb every 6 months, or about 3oz a month of gains dispersed evenly across the entire body.

Extraordinary indeed....
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Gotcha SP

I didn't understand what you meant, I thought you were calling my chiro an idiot.

He says being lean is more important, you look a lot bigger than you really are when you have low bf.

He was 180 in that pic.

Gotcha SP

I didn't understand what you meant, I thought you were calling my chiro an idiot.

He says being lean is more important, you look a lot bigger than you really are when you have low bf.

He was 180 in that pic.
    Your Chiro looks awesome!

One request Namtrag, when you respond to a specific post please use the "Quote message in reply" checkbox that way we know exactly who you are talking to!!
    I'm a sad little man

Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    That would be 1lb every 6 months, or about 3oz a month of gains dispersed evenly across the entire body.

Extraordinary indeed....
    I have 167 lbs lbm, but that doesn't mean it's muscle, lbm includes water. I think a lot of what we call gaining muscle means getting more hydration in our muscle. We gain lbm as a result, but it's not technically muscle!

Is this really worth our time to argue when no one really knows! lol

the o/p got out before the fun began!

Im still here guys

Have been sitting back and enjoying the action!!

Cheers All, some good view points.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is this really worth our time to argue when no one really knows! lol
    Nope, and not arguing. Hope my reply wasn't misconstrued. I'm just trying to envision someone training their @$$ off every week to gain less than an ounce of muscle on their entire frame.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"