tigergirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squats&lunges make my quads sore but not my butt

What am I doing wrong?How can I get a sore butt ??I train at home

goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tigergirl View Post
    What am I doing wrong?How can I get a sore butt ??I train at home
    Can you post your exercise routine?

The name of the exercise, how much weight, sets and reps?
    "I will persist until I succeed!" - Og Mandino

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid."

ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortMonster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How far are you going down on sqauts? Are you pushing up with your heals, glutes and lower back?
    Awesome as fuark crew

My leg workout is this

Dumbbell Lunges
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Barbel Step-ups
    Dumbbell Squats

I do 3 sets of 12-15 reps.I have recently started working out so the weight so far is light.Only deadlifts target my butt and I keep doing them even though my back aches.

When I do squats I go at the level of my knees.I had never noticed if I push from glutes or quads until you asked...I guess I must push from glutes...!

goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tigergirl View Post
    My leg workout is this

Dumbbell Lunges
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Barbel Step-ups
    Dumbbell Squats

I do 3 sets of 12-15 reps.I have recently started working out so the weight so far is light.Only deadlifts target my butt and I keep doing them even though my back aches.

When I do squats I go at the level of my knees.I had never noticed if I push from glutes or quads until you asked...I guess I must push from glutes...!
    Your booty doesn't hurt when you do lunges? That will definitely make your butt hurt if you do them properly. I know mine does. Are you doing your lunges properly and how many steps are you taking per leg?

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When you're coming down, lower your backside below the knees. Squeeze your glutes and push up with your heels. See how this little guy here is squatting low?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html
    Last edited by breathingsky; 04-22-2007 at 09:41 AM.

thank you!

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lunges and the glute bridge are also great. I do both stationary and walking lunges holding 15lb weights in each hand. Walking lunges are more challenging for me. The glute bridge is easy and effective - make sure you SQUEEEZE on the way up. I also use weight with this (usually a 20lb DB positioned on my pelvis). Maybe try working these two exercises into your routine?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...kingLunge.html

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages...strength_3.jpg
    Last edited by breathingsky; 04-22-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Originally Posted by breathingsky View Post
    Lunges and the glute bridge are also great. I do both stationary and walking lunges holding 15lb weights in each hand. Walking lunges are more challenging for me. The glute bridge is easy and effective. Maybe try working these two exercises into your routine?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...kingLunge.html

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages...strength_3.jpg
    Excellent suggestion. I do Dumb Bell Walking Lunges and my booty is hurting for at least two days. If this doesn't make your butt sore then you are either not doing them right or taking to few steps.

Just looking at that illustration makes my butt and legs hurt now. OUCH!

thank you all!

DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) DUMB BELLE is on a distinguished road. (+10)

As mentioned:

Go DEEEEEEP! (You can also try lunging onto a small step to increase the range and depth)
    Push through your heels!
    Put the "mind in the muscle" and think of activating/squeezing the glutes on the way up!
    Go HEAVY!

PS: when doing deeeep lunges try to make sure your toe of the supporting leg is slightly infront of the bent knee to avoid knee injuries.
    What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Never eat more than you can lift."
    - Miss Piggy.

CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10) CheryleB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have also found that a wider stance for RDL's seems to target the glutes more.

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by breathingsky View Post
    The glute bridge is easy and effective - make sure you SQUEEEZE on the way up. I also use weight with this (usually a 20lb DB positioned on my pelvis).
    You can also try extending one leg and working a single leg at a time to make it more challenging. Then try with the heel of the supporting leg on a stability ball and you'll really be smokin'!