Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

New to bodybuilding

Hi! I'm no beginner to the gym but new to bodybuilding. Hope to get some motivation and helpful tips to get results I want.

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What results do you want?
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ckolesar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kjake55 View Post
    What results do you want?
    I'd like to be toned. Visible muscle without flexing. If that makes sense.

FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FiveStarPre has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know this may sound cliche....but staying consistant is going to be the main thing....nothing in Bodybuilding will happen overnight..you gotta keep pushing your body past that point where it is forced to grow/improve

Nutrition IMO is another HUGE factor...get your diet down and the results will come with training
    #ShreddedSociety

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    "Toned" is a musical term.

If you want muscle you have to bulk (eat above maintenance) and lift heavy to gain it and then cut (eat below maint) to make it visible. Are you doing any of those things? If so you're on your way, if not read the stickies and ask specific questions.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Registered User killthelights22's Avatar
    killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000) killthelights22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ckolesar View Post
    I'd like to be toned. Visible muscle without flexing. If that makes sense.
    Prepare for incoming essay. Not sure how accurate parts of this are but other people here can confirm, this is just what I know. No idea how much of this you know, either.

Firstly, to look and be healthy, you must consider diet to be just as important as actually lifting. I cannot highlight how important this is. We all have a base amount of nutrients we need (I'm sure you've heard of BMR for calories, if not BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate), however it's very useful to also consider your macronutrients too (Typically Fats, Carbohydrates and Proteins), and take this into thought depending on what your goals are and how you reach them. (I'll get to that later.)

Secondly, there is no such thing as muscle toning. There is just gaining muscle mass. I would say, and I think many agree with me, that it is important to train your whole body - you do not want to end up looking disproportionate or have a certain point of weakness if possible, especially because most muscles work in groups, example; Chest and Back, Biceps and Triceps etc.
    This is usually done by working your muscles 3-5 days a week. It is important not to over work your muscles, because basically what you are doing when you lift is causing tiny tears in the muscle tissue by putting pressure and stress onto them. After working that muscle set you need to give them time to heal, thus making them larger = stronger. To prevent over working one set of muscles but maintain/gain strength, people usually work each group in a split. For example, my split is:
    Monday: Chest and Back
    Tuesday: Legs and Shoulders
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Biceps and Triceps
    Friday: Calves, Forearms etc, plus anything you feel you have not worked well on previous days.
    Another note is that while it's good to use your own body weight to workout, it won't get the same results as lifting weights. You'll see a lot of cardio bunnies at the gym, but they will plateau a lot quicker than girls who lift.
    Also, here is a guide to how many reps you should do, depending on your goals. It's common for lifters to do 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps, as this encourages maximum strength gains. I've heard that doing your reps at 60-80% of your 1 rep max (The max amount of weight you can do for one repetition of that exercise), so that you are struggling to complete the last 2 reps of that set. I have also occasionally seen workouts that include exercises until failure.

Obviously there are other ways to step up the game, as when you repeatedly do the same exercise you are likely to plateau, there are numerous ways to tackle this such as Supersets (two or three exercises directly after each other, no rest.) and DTP (Dramatic Transformation Principle. It's a little hard to explain, so here is a link. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dtp-legs.htm)

Now this is where nutrition comes into it.
    A common misconception is that muscle weighs more than fat. Obviously, this isn't true because a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat, but muscle is much more dense. Numerous sources I've come across say that (correct me if I'm wrong) 1LB of Muscle burns 15 calories a minute, and 1LB of fat burns 1.
    I have found that counting Macros are much more useful than counting calories. As long as you are not going over your deficit and you reach your macro goals for the day, your calories just tend to slot in.
    There are two fairly simple formulas to losing fat and gaining muscle. Doing it at the same time is a much longer process, so bodybuilders tend to do it in two parts - this is called Cutting and Bulking.
    Cutting is where you give yourself a calorie deficit (Usually of around 500-1,000 calories) to lose 1-2 pounds a week. This way, you are trying to sustain as much muscle and strength as possible while losing fat. During this time it's common to ramp up the cardio sessions a bit more (say if you do 2 sessions a week, you might want to do 4.) and lift as heavy as you can to help maintain your gains.
    Bulking is where you eat at a higher deficit (Around 500 calories) to gain around 1 pound of muscle a week while gaining as little fat as possible. You may hear of different types of bulking (Lean, Clean and Dirty.)
    Dirty bulking is generally a higher amount of calories above your maintenance (1,000+). You are more likely to see gains quickly, but also gain more fat.
    Clean bulking is around 500 calories, see muscle gains less quickly but also gain less fat.
    Lean bulking is clean bulking, but also eating a lot healthier too.
    I usually try to eat meals with a high protein, medium carb and low fat ratio, though it's up to you and what you find works best. Some say that 5-8 small meals a day are better (also boosts metabolism, prevents breakdown of muscle tissue due to your body going into starvation mode), however some people just stick to the regular 3-4 meals a day, which is what I try to do.
    Another common way to cut is Intermittent fasting - Periods of time where only pre/post workouts are consumed during the day, with a small eating window(s) usually given in the evening to fit your macros into.
    Pre and post workout meals/shakes are not necessary, I only occasionally take a post workout shake, so I can't give a huge amount of advice on it however it's up to you. Multivitamins, Protein Shakes and Fish Oils are all very common and acceptable supplements to take.
    People also usually have a cheat meal after a week, fortnight or month, where they disregard the nutrition value of the meal. :P

Again, no idea how accurate this is, it's just from what I've picked up/learnt/understood so will need others to confirm, but it's just a basic intro to lifting. Good luck and feel free to PM if you need any other advice.
    Last edited by killthelights22; 11-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.