MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Tuna & Mercury - How much canned Tuna is safe to eat?

Currently eating 1/2 can of tuna every day and was thinking about making it a full can everyday but my questions is, whats all this about mercury poisoning and how much should i eat? how much canned tuna do you eat?

HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HitNLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This question been and gone. Just eat the tuna.

waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000) waatsgood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've personally cut back on tuna lately
    http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I eat tuna quite often, on average a can per day (around 130g) and as a result I am currently about to die thanks to mercury poisoning. But that may be because I sucked on a mercury thermometer. Whilst eating mercury laden tuna.

In all seriousness, a can a day should be fine. I've felt no adverse effects, but maybe it's killing me without me knowing. Meh. I'm still gonna eat my tunaz!

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by UnitedKingdom View Post
    In all seriousness, a can a day should be fine. I've felt no adverse effects, but maybe it's killing me without me knowing. Meh. I'm still gonna eat my tunaz!
    Is that your justification for smoking too?

SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SCLowcountry has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Would like to point out that both of the links above state the danger being mainly related to children and pregnant woman. I'm neither, so my 1-2 cans a day with a little FF mayo will continue.
    Started: 285 lbs
    So Far: 192lbs
    Eat good. Lift Hard.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SCLowcountry View Post
    Would like to point out that both of the links above state the danger being mainly related to children and pregnant woman. I'm neither, so my 1-2 cans a day with a little FF mayo will continue.
    In your case the recommended intake limit is 12 ounces per week (6 ounces if the source is canned white tuna).

See: Quantitative approach for incorporating methylmercury risks and omega-3 fatty acid benefits in developing species-specific fish consumption advice. Ginsberg GL, et al. Environ Health Perspect. 2009 Feb;117(2):267-75. Full text at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...HP-117-267.pdf

Also note that in a recent review of canned tuna, researchers found that more than half of all canned tuna examined was above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (U.S. EPA) safety level for human consumption (0.5 ppm), and 5% of the tuna exceeded the action level established by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA) (1.0 ppm). See: An evaluation of mercury concentrations in three brands of canned tuna. Gerstenberger SL, Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010 Feb;29(2):237-42.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hopefully your tuna has selenium in it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5062150
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

^ That study (like many on this topic) was published in 1972 and the question still remains open. But the risk of tuna consumption is clear, though selenium might mitigate to some degree.

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Lol this. Some people are just to lazy/ignorant to care and try to justify stupid things by saying "hurr durr even the air we breath is toxic, our water has pesticides in it, blah blah durr".

Great logic there, buddy. Enjoy your mercury poisoning!

ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItchyTitchy123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by tagun View Post
    Lol this. Some people are just to lazy/ignorant to care and try to justify stupid things by saying "hurr durr even the air we breath is toxic, our water has pesticides in it, blah blah durr".

Great logic there, buddy. Enjoy your mercury poisoning!
    Well in the case of multivitamins everyone seems to use that excuse. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Originally Posted by ItchyTitchy123 View Post
    Well in the case of multivitamins everyone seems to use that excuse. Hypocrisy at its finest.
    Can you be a tad bit more specific, VV?

P.S. This is not nearly as funny as username as your prior ones. You're slipping.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ That study (like many on this topic) was published in 1972 and the question still remains open. But the risk of tuna consumption is clear, though selenium might mitigate to some degree.
    True, and there are others as well, and more recent. Though as you state it's still unclear in humans. For me it doesn't really matter since I can only stomach the stuff once every few weeks or so, so I err on the side of caution by taste bud initiated default.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18761370

-TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000) -TheKingPin- is just really nice. (+1000)
    Derp I've been eating a can of tuna for a year now and nothing has happened to me Herp

I used to be like that but honestly it's not worth the risk.

I've cut down my consumption to 3 cans of light tuna a week at max.

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ugh....

Just eat the tuna.

This reminds me of a thread I made...

Originally Posted by FueledByYelyah View Post
    Just eat the tuna.
    Do you advocate smoking too?

MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MBipson has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think i'll decrease my consumption of tuna now, to maybe 1/2 every other day

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you advocate smoking too?
    Hey, it won't kill him.

UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10) UnitedKingdom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    People know there are risks, I know that mercury poisoning can occur if you consume too much mercury but I feel a can a day is a safe amount for me, personally. I looked into this a while back and if I remember correctly the UK FSA says this...

Yes, everyone can eat tuna. But the mercury that it contains means that the Agency is advising that if you are pregnant or intending to become pregnant, you shouldn’t eat more than four medium-sized cans or two fresh tuna steaks per week.
    - http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/mercuryfish/

So pregnant women shouldn't eat more than four cans of tuna per week. Well, I'm a guy so I would assume I can eat more than four cans per week. How many more I don't know, but I think it'd be safe to add another 3 cans to that.

People have said they get symptoms of mercury poisoning, can't remember what exactly (headaches maybe) and until I feel ill I will continue to eat my tuna. I understand where you're coming from with the smoking thing, but there are long term studies/research on the effects of smoking and nowadays everybody knows it'll kill you, or cause cancer, etc. How many cans of tuna it'll take to give you mercury poisoning isn't know exactly. I will admit, I try to substitute the tuna with eggs sometimes so I'm eating less, but it's a great and cheap source of protein.

Originally Posted by UnitedKingdom View Post
    People have said they get symptoms of mercury poisoning, can't remember what exactly (headaches maybe) and until I feel ill I will continue to eat my tuna.
    Frankly, that's astonishingly poor logic.

Frankly, that's astonishingly poor logic.
    I fear it may be the mercury getting to me.