Amydoll19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not eating enough Carbs= Hypoglycemic problems?

I'm a relatively new member here...and new to the world of fitness & weight training.

I just started the crazy P90x program 2 weeks ago....which I've been enjoying, even though it's kicking my ass. I sweat like an animal every day for at least an hour after work doing this program.
    Now, one of the first things I noticed in the first week of working out was...."Dammnmned! I'm hungrey ALL the time now!"
    (I was used to eating very little prior to this program)

Anyway....I've been tracking my calories on DailyBurn.com to help me....
    and it looks like each day I'm at least 400 calories UNDER what I should be eating a day!
    On top of that....my Carb intake has been too low

I'm supposed to be getting around 1750 cal a day
    130 of those cal from CARBS
    now yesterday I tracked it....and it said I only at 48g of carbs for the whole day

I started having very dizzy, jittery, nervous sensations while at work the past couple of days....felt like a panic attack almost...heart beating fast...feeling "unbalanced".

I have had a Hypoglycemic attack years ago from severe dieting.....I actually passed out from it one day- but once I was given some orange juice...I came right out of it.

Well I came home yesterday and promptly started to "carb-up".....I ate 1/2 a can of chick peas....a 1/2 cup of Oatmeal....2 pieces of whole wheat soft tortilla bread......and last night also made a plate of pasta.
    It goes without saying....I DID NOT workout yesterday

Now this morning I'm feeling a little better....but still not feeling 100%
    I'm staying home from work today just to regroup

I look at all the threads in the Female Bodybuilding section here.....and I noticed there are more threads under the "Nutrition & Dieting" section than any other section on here (about 13,000 threads)......I think I understand why.
    Proper Diet & nutrition are absolutely crucial when you embark on a new program.....I think I'm learning that the hard way- and my body's paying the price.

It's just hard for me....cause I'm not used to eating 6 small meals a day....
    I feel like i'm over-eating (that's what my stomach says) I feel full all the time

I guess I should back off my workouts for a couple of days....
    Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them?

I'm also wondering if I should eat more carbs in my Pre-workout meal so I have more energy....and than protein after the workout...

I'm just trying to find my balance....and it's frustrating.

any suggestions anybody?

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Amydoll19 View Post
    Can you double check that number. 130 cals from carbs is WAAAAAAY low. Way. If you're eating 1750 cals a day, getting a lot of protein, and a healthy amount of fat, you should be getting at least 700 - 1000 calories from carbs.

I feel like i'm over-eating (that's what my stomach says) I feel full all the time
    You do NOT have to eat 6 small meals a day if it's hard on you. That's one of those dieting myths that has been thoroughly debunked. If it's easier and works better for your system, you can do 2 or 3 meals, and add in some snacks *if* you want. Just as long as you stay within your calories - it doesn't really matter when you eat.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Amydoll19 View Post
    I'm a relatively new member here...and new to the world of fitness & weight training.

I just started the crazy P90x program 2 weeks ago....which I've been enjoying, even though it's kicking my ass. I sweat like an animal every day for at least an hour after work doing this program.
    Now, one of the first things I noticed in the first week of working out was...."Dammnmned! I'm hungrey ALL the time now!"
    (I was used to eating very little prior to this program)

Anyway....I've been tracking my calories on DailyBurn.com to help me....
    and it looks like each day I'm at least 400 calories UNDER what I should be eating a day!
    On top of that....my Carb intake has been too low

now yesterday I tracked it....and it said I only at 48g of carbs for the whole day

I started having very dizzy, jittery, nervous sensations while at work the past couple of days....felt like a panic attack almost...heart beating fast...feeling "unbalanced".

I have had a Hypoglycemic attack years ago from severe dieting.....I actually passed out from it one day- but once I was given some orange juice...I came right out of it.

Well I came home yesterday and promptly started to "carb-up".....I ate 1/2 a can of chick peas....a 1/2 cup of Oatmeal....2 pieces of whole wheat soft tortilla bread......and last night also made a plate of pasta.
    It goes without saying....I DID NOT workout yesterday

Now this morning I'm feeling a little better....but still not feeling 100%
    I'm staying home from work today just to regroup

I look at all the threads in the Female Bodybuilding section here.....and I noticed there are more threads under the "Nutrition & Dieting" section than any other section on here (about 13,000 threads)......I think I understand why.
    Proper Diet & nutrition are absolutely crucial when you embark on a new program.....I think I'm learning that the hard way- and my body's paying the price.

I guess I should back off my workouts for a couple of days....
    Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them?

I'm also wondering if I should eat more carbs in my Pre-workout meal so I have more energy....and than protein after the workout...

I'm just trying to find my balance....and it's frustrating.

any suggestions anybody?
    What nutrition program are you following, the macro breakdown?

As Kara said, you don't HAVE to eat 6 times per day. I eat three bigger meals myself, I am happier if I feel more full. Some people can train fasted, some people need to eat, depends on the person. I get shaky and feeling yucky if I try to train without eating a couple of hours before. I usually eat some sort of complex carb with protein (in the am's, its oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder or a protein smoothie). When you are on a deficit, its important to try to keep your insulin levels stable to minimize hunger and help with energy levels. Otherwise I never stick to my diet since I feel like crapola. Yes, you can certainly eat whatever you want as long as it is within your cals for the day when it comes to dropping scale weight, but choosing the types of carbs more wisely and combining with protein will help keep you from getting hungry or shaky feeling.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000) sherdi is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also suffer from bouts of hypoglycaemia. Without a breakdown of what you eat at every meal it's hard to see what you need to fix. However, not enough carbs and calories can lead to this issue.

Foods that help me. Fruit - yes fruit! It's great for blood sugar control and will help restore your glycogen. Things like bananas, apples, pears, berries etc. Dairy - nonfat milk PWO really helps. I also make sure I eat some form of dairy everyday for calcium, but I do find that cottage cheese with added good fat (ie natty pb) really good for keeping me stable. Fats - things like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, olive oil etc - keep my sugar levels in check. Starchy carbs! They are good for you: things that have very high fibre are especially good for people who suffer with hypoglycaemia. Things like legumes,beans,oats,oatbran, wheatbran, etc are awesome!!! I include these things everyday in my diet.

kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000) kitebean is just really nice. (+1000)
    are you sure it doesn't say 130 grams of carbs per day? That sounds more like it to me....

I have struggled on and off with Hypo attacks - but for me they normally came in the middle of the night after an insane session. That said, I think I was definetly over training (sometimes >15 hours per week)

I also think that our age and hormones do the wacky on us as well. I would suggest concentrating your carbs around your workouts, and making sure you are eating or having a shake within 30 minutes of training.

Perhaps posting your diet here might help so you can get more specific suggestions.

Are you taking any supplements?
    when ego is lost, limit is lost

LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kitebean View Post
    are you sure it doesn't say 130 grams of carbs per day? That sounds more like it to me....

I have struggled on and off with Hypo attacks - but for me they normally came in the middle of the night after an insane session. That said, I think I was definetly over training (sometimes >15 hours per week)

I also think that our age and hormones do the wacky on us as well. I would suggest concentrating your carbs around your workouts, and making sure you are eating or having a shake within 30 minutes of training.

Perhaps posting your diet here might help so you can get more specific suggestions.

Are you taking any supplements?
    This.^^

It's not 130 calories from carbs. You should be eating at least 130 grams of carbs. (which would be 520 calories from carbs.) If you feel you need more you can pull out more calories from your protein...go by how your body feels and adjust if necessary.

You mixing up the numbers between calories and grams.
    Last edited by kimm4; 07-09-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    It's not 130 calories from carbs. You should be eating at least 130 grams of carbs. (which would be 520 calories from carbs.) If you feel you need more you can pull out more calories from your protein...go by how your body feels and adjust if necessary.

You mixing up the numbers between calories and grams.
    Yes, Amy PM'd me and clarified that. That makes much more sense!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post
    Yes, Amy PM'd me and clarified that. That makes much more sense!
    That's good to hear!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

In search of abs..... baygirl65's Avatar
    baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baygirl65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have found that eating more protein with my meals has helped out(hypoglycemia--blood sugar issues). I usually don't have a problem is I balance carbs, protein, and fat in each meal. If I have carbs only and coffee in the morning it's a recipe for that shakey feeling later on. Just by adding protein powder to my oatmeal has taken care of that one, or opting for eggs & toast.

On the other hand, if you do have an attack you need to get some quick acting carbs in fast. Then follow up with some carb, protein, fat a bit later.