my pic is very old Senor Awesome's Avatar
    Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)

how good are hack squats?

So hack squats... how safe, good for hypertrophy, etc are they?

They look hard so that's probably good.

not much luck in teen section, so i ask you guys
    A lot of people have been looking at too many competition condition bodybuilding photos and have a distorted sense of what "fat" is. - SideFX

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Senor Awesome View Post
    So hack squats... how safe, good for hypertrophy, etc are they?

They look hard so that's probably good.

not much luck in teen section, so i ask you guys
    Both the machine and the freeweight barbell version are great quad builders.

If you do them freeweight, be sure and deload each rep, as you would with a regular deadlift. This removes the XTREME knee stress that this lift can cause otherwise.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't know about the barbell, but the machine is pretty good to hit the quads around the knee and give that "pop" in the vastus intermedius.

Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    Both the machine and the freeweight barbell version are great quad builders.

If you do them freeweight, be sure and deload each rep, as you would with a regular deadlift. This removes the XTREME knee stress that this lift can cause otherwise.
    Hmm... alright. I'll start low and it's for 12 reps so I ain't goin' to be starting or doing billion lbs for that.

"deload" means place the weight in the start position momentarly to remove pressure..

Like when I deadlift, at the bottom of the rep, the weight touches and pauses a sec on the ground, that deloading?
    A lot of people have been looking at too many competition condition bodybuilding photos and have a distorted sense of what "fat" is. - SideFX

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Like when I deadlift, at the bottom of the rep, the weight touches and pauses a sec on the ground, that deloading?
    Yes, he means set the BB down and completely reset.

Deadlifts, etc, should not be touch-and-go.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Yes, he means set the BB down and completely reset.

Deadlifts, etc, should not be touch-and-go.
    Yeah. I pause for about 1 or 2 seconds and regrip>> (helps prevent another case of ulnar nerve problems)

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah. I pause for about 1 or 2 seconds and regrip>> (helps prevent another case of ulnar nerve problems)
    Then you, Sir, are awesome!

Then you, Sir, are awesome!
    Hence the name, Senor!

Hence the name, Senor!
    Oh, I didn't notice!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_PopWSUWM

Grade this dudes form for me.

I think I got it pretty good tonight. I was a dumbass and somehow forgot to deload but I'm fine physically so I'll make a serious mental note to do so next time.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_PopWSUWM

Grade this dudes form for me.

I think I got it pretty good tonight. I was a dumbass and somehow forgot to deload but I'm fine physically so I'll make a serious mental note to do so next time.
    His FORM is fine, but he's doing touch and go; which could eventually destroy his knees (and what a shame that would be, that guy is incredibly strong).

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wonder, how good are the bb hacks for them quads?

Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    His FORM is fine, but he's doing touch and go; which could eventually destroy his knees (and what a shame that would be, that guy is incredibly strong).
    kk. For the deload , should I bring the weight down, stop , stand straight, then repeat? What's the best deload technique for HS?

For Deadlifts, I bring the weight down, set it down, stand for a second, then grab for the next rep. Works fine.

What type of knee injurys are we talking about?

What's the best deload technique for HS? For Deadlifts, I bring the weight down, set it down, stand for a second, then grab for the next rep. Works fine.
    Use the same technique as you do for you Deads.

What type of knee injurys are we talking about?
    The ligaments are like less-flexible rubber bands...if you give them a sustained stretch with a load, it can tear or snap them.
    The meniscus and cartilage can dimple from having a constant heavy load (sorta like a chair leg on carpet) and the dimple can cause problems.

pdhb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd heard/read that BB hack squats were hard on the knees. So are y'all saying that as long as one deloads every rep, they aren't bad on the knees, or are they just not as bad?

johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally I love them. I have total control of how deep I go without fear of injury (as I can maintain strict form) and I never feel any pain in the back. It's an exercise in which you can go very heavy and get that full "targetted" effect in the legs. It was the first leg exercise that had me excited about doing leg day ( I hated working legs at one point).

Definitely explore adding them to your workout repertoire, you WILL feel it in the morning. Good luck.

itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) itsallgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow, those look cool, never seen them before. Think I'll try them next leg day...

Use the same technique as you do for you Deads.

The ligaments are like less-flexible rubber bands...if you give them a sustained stretch with a load, it can tear or snap them.
    The meniscus and cartilage can dimple from having a constant heavy load (sorta like a chair leg on carpet) and the dimple can cause problems.
    yeah. My quest to improve flexibility via stretching should help this a lot, right?

Umm, fair enough. I will deload each and every rep from now on.

It's great. I seriously feel it in the morning.

One more injury or lack of ideally question, for me, I don't have a squat rack part of why I'm using hack squats.

BUT! I do Front Squats. My form is very tight and sharp, flat back, tuck the ass on the up to protect the lower back , look up a bit and focus on object etc etc

Fine, but ! Without a squat rack, I clean the weight and hold it in a "pre military press" grip if you will. I tried the bar by it self that way and typical front squat bar placement on shoulders and felt no difference in physical movement or w/e with it that way..

Thoughts on that?

johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnnyfry will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I watched the youtube video and I definitely do not do my hack squats like that. I do mine on a machine which allows me to focus on the quads and bring in my glutes if I am not in the mood for a feeweight squat. For me, safety is always my primary concern and I believe that machines are effective for most exercises of the legs. I am not doubting that this exercise works, but I would shun away with it due to my fear of reinjuring my back (injured it 6-7 years ago).

Give it a go if you please, but definitely don't pass on attempting the hacks on amachine.

Oh to answer your last post Senor, I think you doing your squats with the free weights is fine, and actually ideal in my opinion. Glad to see your attention to form as it is PARAMOUNT and it sounds correct, keeping your head up is very important obviously and nice smooth cadence. Take it from a guy who injured his back and rotator cuff in the past (you definitely DON'T want to injure your cuff hehe), form is paramount to building your body and in particular when messing with squats.

Anyways, I hope that answers your question. Sounds like you are running well, incorporate some machine exercises and tell me how it goes.

Good luck! Some great questions.

Originally Posted by johnnyfry View Post
    Oh to answer your last post Senor, I think you doing your squats with the free weights is fine, and actually ideal in my opinion. Glad to see your attention to form as it is PARAMOUNT and it sounds correct, keeping your head up is very important obviously and nice smooth cadence. Take it from a guy who injured his back and rotator cuff in the past (you definitely DON'T want to injure your cuff hehe), form is paramount to building your body and in particular when messing with squats.

Anyways, I hope that answers your question. Sounds like you are running well, incorporate some machine exercises and tell me how it goes.

Good luck! Some great questions.
    Thanks for the detailed respones. repped.

Yeah, I take form very serious. Espiecally with something like a squat. I mean, there are some lifts were I'm not as careful, but still reasonable, but with squats there are 101 ways to kill yourself. same with deads

I saved myself a RTC injury by reading this forum a while back. I was doing shrugs wrong. Rolling the shoudlers. never hurt or anything, but I'm sure that's because I changed things up and got the forum down.

I had popping in my shoulders briefly, then stretched using the broomstick method and locked my shoulder blades & chest work become flawless and no more popping.

So I'm pretty in tune. I always tuck my ass with anything I lift. Takes the pressure off the back.

Also, I try to be as smooth and fluid(natural movement) as possible. Not like some of the choppy motions I see on youtube or here sometimes.

I also never lift beyond what my stabalizers can't pick up. If I lift something they can handle, and my main group being worked fails, they pick it up. If I lift beyond that, somehwere I don't want that weight is going to pick it up.

Oh and I don't have access to a gym so no machines. I think as long as I deload , tuck pelvis, keep back straight, it'll be fine.

Originally Posted by pdhb View Post
    I'd heard/read that BB hack squats were hard on the knees. So are y'all saying that as long as one deloads every rep, they aren't bad on the knees, or are they just not as bad?
    They aren't bad on the knees if you deload---all of the force is removed and transferred to the floor. I feel they're also more effective this way, as the eccentric phase is necessarily emphasized.