GPNM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-up / Chin-up bar question

Hi,

I'm currently training for the Marines PFT to get into OCS (Officer Candidate School).
    I can do the sit-ups, and I'm almost there with the run (need 23:00, I'm at 23:15).

Where I'm significantly lacking is in pull-ups. I need to be able to do 12, I've been able to do about 10 so far. I figure the best way to do this is to get a pull-up bar for my home.

Can anyone recommend a good pull-up bar (not iron-gym, that kind of pull up bar doesn't fit in my doorways) that's screw-less? My walls are made of concrete and metal - drilling doesn't work (I'm not going to spend $200 on a drill).

Thanks in advance!

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GPNM View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently training for the Marines PFT to get into OCS (Officer Candidate School).
    I can do the sit-ups, and I'm almost there with the run (need 23:00, I'm at 23:15).

Where I'm significantly lacking is in pull-ups. I need to be able to do 12, I've been able to do about 10 so far. I figure the best way to do this is to get a pull-up bar for my home.

Can anyone recommend a good pull-up bar (not iron-gym, that kind of pull up bar doesn't fit in my doorways) that's screw-less? My walls are made of concrete and metal - drilling doesn't work (I'm not going to spend $200 on a drill).

Thanks in advance!
    You might consider somthing like rogue rings, or elite rings if you can't drill for something like studbarpullup.com. The straps might let you go around a tree or something outside.

There are a few freestanding options, to include the pull up add-on to the ironmind pillars of power, or the torque fitness freestanding one. There are many different "power towers" which are freestanding pull-up/dip combos, but I generally hate those because the dip bars or the step up bars are usually in the way. There's always one going for 100 bucks on CL in my area, though.
    Last edited by Kodokan; 05-04-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: more text

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    You might consider somthing like rogue rings, or elite rings if you can't drill for something like studbarpullup.com. The straps might let you go around a tree or something outside.

There are a few freestanding options, to include the pull up add-on to the ironmind pillars of power, or the torque fitness freestanding one. There are many different "power towers" which are freestanding pull-up/dip combos, but I generally hate those because the dip bars or the step up bars are usually in the way. There's always one going for 100 bucks on CL in my area, though.
    There's always the possibility of picking up a power cage new/used. Then you often get the pullups PLUS everything else (presses, squats, and safety pins!). I've just recently picked up a used rack for about 150, and it's got a straight chin bar in the front.

There's always the possibility of picking up a power cage new/used. Then you often get the pullups PLUS everything else (presses, squats, and safety pins!). I've just recently picked up a used rack for about 150, and it's got a straight chin bar in the front.
    Those freestanding ones would be ideal I think...the problem is that I've got very limited space in my apartment, no way would something like that fit.

I was thinking more along the lines of a pull up bar held up by friction, anything like that?
    I do have a straight pull up bar that I wasn't able to drill into the wall...what if I were to put that up with something like epoxy?

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what if I were to put that up with something like epoxy?
    You're asking for an injury!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 14kRPM is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Does your apartment have a playground outside?
    I would just use that, plus there's usually a place to do dips, etc...

Those freestanding ones would be ideal I think...the problem is that I've got very limited space in my apartment, no way would something like that fit.

I was thinking more along the lines of a pull up bar held up by friction, anything like that?
    I do have a straight pull up bar that I wasn't able to drill into the wall...what if I were to put that up with something like epoxy?
    You could put a power cage right in front of your TV You can see through the posts and still watch TV...or better yet get your pullups in while watching.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...&ci_sku=703576

It comes in pieces, so you assemble it inside your apartment. It would be 7ft high, and look completely weird in the middle of an apartment...but you may learn to find a place for it, or flip it on CL after you meet your requirements.

...you could put it right in front of a door for people to walk, and string beads hanging down on the other side from the pull-up bar.

Originally Posted by 14kRPM View Post
    Does your apartment have a playground outside?
    I would just use that, plus there's usually a place to do dips, etc...
    It's a partially dilapidated playground unfortunately...a few months ago one of the bars broke under my weight (180 lbs roughly).

You could put a power cage right in front of your TV You can see through the posts and still watch TV...or better yet get your pullups in while watching.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...&ci_sku=703576

It comes in pieces, so you assemble it inside your apartment. It would be 7ft high, and look completely weird in the middle of an apartment...but you may learn to find a place for it, or flip it on CL after you meet your requirements.

...you could put it right in front of a door for people to walk, and string beads hanging down on the other side from the pull-up bar.
    Wow...that's quite something!
    I'll have to see if my parents will allow something like that into their apartment...but it looks pretty good.

Still...if anyone does find a decent pull up bar that's held up by friction...that would be ideal =/

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol @ their description: "Created several years ago, nearly every gym has one, so why not you?"

Who the hell did the research? The power rack was created. . . . uh. . . several years ago and. . . . uh. . . nearly every gym has one. Not to mention the sentence lacks a subject, but now my nerdy roots are showing.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wow...that's quite something!
    I'll have to see if my parents will allow something like that into their apartment...but it looks pretty good.

Still...if anyone does find a decent pull up bar that's held up by friction...that would be ideal =/
    You can't make a pullup bar that attaches to a flat wall by friction, your going to have to drill if you want on of those. Power tower, rack or rings will be the way to go.

Could you screw one of these into your doorframe, the screws with the one I used to own were tiny (< 1/2") so you don't need much of a frame. They have a lot of limitations but are better than nothing;
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    You can't make a pullup bar that attaches to a flat wall by friction, your going to have to drill if you want on of those. Power tower, rack or rings will be the way to go.

Could you screw one of these into your doorframe, the screws with the one I used to own were tiny (< 1/2") so you don't need much of a frame. They have a lot of limitations but are better than nothing;
    That's exactly the one that I tried putting up. It just doesn't work =/
    Frames are metal. I think that I'll be getting the rings in that case...seems to be the best choice here.

htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    look on craigslist for a free standing one. if it turns out you dont have enough room just sell it for what you bought it for.
    as long as you ceiling is 7' high and you have 3'X4' of space you shouldn't have a problem.

Originally Posted by htes View Post
    look on craigslist for a free standing one. if it turns out you dont have enough room just sell it for what you bought it for.
    as long as you ceiling is 7' high and you have 3'X4' of space you shouldn't have a problem.
    I'll definitely look into it...I hope it works...

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Uhmmm... Iron gym Extreme anyone?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

I had a similar chinning bar, almost exactly like the iron gym. My door frames don't support it...

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Sorry missed that in your origonal post.

Sounds to me like you have rulled out every option people have put out there.

Rings on a tree are the only thing thats left, either that or fail on the entry exam

A drill that would go through your walls will be $20 at any home store. all you need is the cheapest corded 3/8" drill out there and you can put a hole in anything. Not quickly but it will get the job done.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Sorry missed that in your origonal post.

Sounds to me like you have rulled out every option people have put out there.

Rings on a tree are the only thing thats left, either that or fail on the entry exam

A drill that would go through your walls will be $20 at any home store. all you need is the cheapest corded 3/8" drill out there and you can put a hole in anything. Not quickly but it will get the job done.
    It does sound like the rings on a tree are the best choice.
    I did get a fairly cheap black & decker drill - after about an hour it barely made a dent!