Registered User preachercurl-NE's Avatar
    preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Short head/Long head Bicep???

Can someone explain this to me. Like what part of your bicep is the short head, and which is the long, then exercises for both.
    I love doing preachers bench, I was told this does your bicep, is there a part of my biceps I am not working out?

No treble, no care KeepOnShruggin's Avatar
    KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Heads
    1. Long Head (Outer)
    2. Short Head (Inner)

preacher curls work the long head of the bicep, this exercise gives you the peak in your bicep.

in addition to preacher curls, I do barbell curls, dumbbell curls, incline dumbbell curls, low cable curls, reverse curls and hammer curls. I only choose 2-3 exercises to do on my arm days though.

preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so what exercise works your short bicep?

J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Straight bar curls, incline curls
    -=BMBC underground=-

*Lone Star Crew*

R.I.P. Miscimus

R.I.P. Zyzz - God of Aesthetics

vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10) vicky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    KeepOnShruggin is right you have to work ur whole bicep,in general you have to do 2 to 3 exercises for bicep per workout,Barbell curl work whole bicep and build mass,then which other bicep part u want to train pick exercise which KeepOnShruggin mention.i would prefer after barbell curl you should do dumbell and then preacher curl.But this is me,and no 2 people are same,so see what works for u.
    Last edited by vicky; 10-20-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    VAQAS

"Discipline is one of the most valuable qualities one can possess. Like a tree, you start with a seed; you plant it and grow it." - Dave Draper

"The worst thing I can be is like everyone else, I hate that" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

so I havnt been working my whole bicep, should I notice this when I look at my arm(where does it show)? If I straight bar curl then I'll get better results? (thanks for the tips, will do)

J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J-Peg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by preachercurl-NE View Post
    so I havnt been working my whole bicep, should I notice this when I look at my arm(where does it show)? If I straight bar curl then I'll get better results? (thanks for the tips, will do)
    you'll get best results by mixing up your arm exercises like keep and vicky said. On arm day, try to work out both heads.
    -=BMBC underground=-

*Lone Star Crew*

R.I.P. Miscimus

R.I.P. Zyzz - God of Aesthetics

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can someone explain this to me. Like what part of your bicep is the short head, and which is the long, then exercises for both.
    I love doing preachers bench, I was told this does your bicep, is there a part of my biceps I am not working out?
    Preacher curls with a narrow grip are a great overall bicep exercise.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Preacher curls suck for me.

The main differences in curl are grip width and type/angle of grip.

Narrow width hits outer, wide hits inner.
    Supinated, neutral, pronated and all the angles in between will affect how it hits your biceps and brachialis.

Only 180lbs in the pic MiketheSwede's Avatar
    MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so what exercise works your short bicep?
    When you do a regular db bicep curl, twisting as you curl up, hold your thumb and index fingers right up against the plates on the one side of the db. As you twist, you should feel this in the short head of the bicep more.

The biceps has two functions, as I see it:

1. Flexion of the elbow
    2. Supination ("Twisting in") of the wrist.

Have fun with that!

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    (want to post here but nervous............................beads of sweat pouring down forehead, eyes darting around nervously looking for any signs of the scientific warlord formerly known as bally's trainer)

I have machine and free weight preachers curl, and I tend to do free, but I have really good form, sitting, all the way down till triceps flex, then back up. Should I be using the machine, or does it not matter? Then on the free weight where there are places for me to place my hands, would it work the short if I had my grip to the outside, because usually my grip is to the inside.
    Working out hard on pecs and triceps

Only 180lbs in the pic MiketheSwede's Avatar
    MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have machine and free weight preachers curl, and I tend to do free, but I have really good form, sitting, all the way down till triceps flex, then back up. Should I be using the machine, or does it not matter? Then on the free weight where there are places for me to place my hands, would it work the short if I had my grip to the outside, because usually my grip is to the inside.
    The thing I suggested only really works best with DB's.

J3! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    (want to post here but nervous............................beads of sweat pouring down forehead, eyes darting around nervously looking for any signs of the scientific warlord formerly known as bally's trainer)
    Too funny.

RE: OP question - from what i've seen myself, the various articles available to read, and the basic physiology, it's really not the different exercises that hit the two biceps heads differently, it's primarily the width of the grip and the motion.

DoubleWide hit it right - Narrow hits outer, wide hits inner.
    --Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

[][][]====[][][] The iron doesn't lie.

battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000)
    wide grips will hit the short head more and close grips will hit the long. Also the more supinated you hand is the more the short head will be used in the exercise.
    you wanna know how i did it, this is how, i never saved anything for the swim back.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KeepOnShruggin View Post
    Heads
    1. Long Head (Outer)
    2. Short Head (Inner)

preacher curls work the long head of the bicep, this exercise gives you the peak in your bicep.

in addition to preacher curls, I do barbell curls, dumbbell curls, incline dumbbell curls, low cable curls, reverse curls and hammer curls. I only choose 2-3 exercises to do on my arm days though.
    Actually preacher curls don't help give better peak cus of extra brachialis development. They will help the biceps look peaked from the back, but flatter from the front.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Preacher curls with a narrow grip are a great overall bicep exercise.
    I think using a wide grip would work them overall. The narrow grip emphasizes the outer head...which the preacher curl already hits anyways. Personally I just use the width that gives me the hardest contraction.

HeatherAC Fan Club. MAXMUSCLE86's Avatar
    MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500) MAXMUSCLE86 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by battousai216 View Post
    wide grips will hit the short head more and close grips will hit the long. Also the more supinated you hand is the more the short head will be used in the exercise.
    Originally Posted by J3! View Post
    Too funny.

RE: OP question - from what i've seen myself, the various articles available to read, and the basic physiology, it's really not the different exercises that hit the two biceps heads differently, it's primarily the width of the grip and the motion.

DoubleWide hit it right - Narrow hits outer, wide hits inner.
    Finally....I thought nobody was gonna say it. It's amazing how much people can talk in these forums without answering the question or how little they know about exercise science. Good hit.
    Recahrge: vazquez

Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bravodor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I always use close grip for preachers, and wide grip on standing straight bar curls.
    "Simplicity is the greatest form of Sophistication"

supinated? What does that mean?
    So if I have a wider grip on preacher curl, I'll work both, same for everthing else.

So how Can I make it look like I have huge peaks in front?
    If preacher curls make the peaks look big in the back?
    Working out hard on pecs and triceps

battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000) battousai216 is just really nice. (+1000)
    supinated means palms up, and my favorite exercise for a peaked look from the front his high pulley curls
    you wanna know how i did it, this is how, i never saved anything for the swim back.

mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrTesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by J-Peg View Post
    Straight bar curls, incline curls
    WRONG, they work the long outer head, the peak
    Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...

bodyfit2233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are wrong...preacher curl works short head...not the long head....

Registered User garywallace1987's Avatar
    garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) garywallace1987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You've saw the diagrams so I'm just expanding on some of the stuff that has been said after your post bud.

When you're doing the incline curl, the long head of the bicep is stretched, and when you stretch a muscle before you contract it, that muscle can contract with more force and this means it takes more of the load during an exercise. The long head of the bicep makes up the mass of the biceps peak so the incline curl is effective for building the biceps peak.

With the preacher curl, it's performed with your arms moving in front of your body and this causes slack on the long head of the bicep, and this makes it the weaker head during this exercise. Because of this, the short head takes the majority of the load during the preacher curl so it's not a great exercise for building the peak but it is great for building up the inner biceps.

Hope this helps mate.
    Last edited by garywallace1987; 02-08-2014 at 10:07 AM.