Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Lose 15 pounds in 21 days?

Has anyone tried the Lose 15 pounds in 21 days diet that is in the July/August 2008 issue of Maximum Fitness? The writer managed an impressive weightloss of 19.6 pounds while others lost around 15 pounds. It seems like a very restrictive diet in that there isn't much variety from day to day, but I am going to try it because I want to lose fat. Since I will be working out and trying to build muscle also, I am going to modify this diet by adding protein shakes as necessary.

kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that just sounds extremely unhealthy.
    -Kim

jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is there an online link to this? im kinda of curious but that sounds too good to be true imo and too fast of weight lost in soo little time (kinda an unhealthy amount) but if ya have more info id like to read up on it and see what the deal is.

JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That sounds like an unhealthy amount of weight to take off that fast. I'm also wondering just how much these people weighed before they took off 15 - 20 lbs. Usually, you'd have to be pretty big to take off that much weight that fast.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For a man who is very overweight, that is possible. If you are a woman who is in reasonable shape, it's not going to work.

Any keto diet (Atkins, South Beach, Velocity) will involve a big drop of water weight, usually 4-6lb of water for a woman, but that will go back on as soon as you back to normal eating. I'm a big fan of keto diets, but even on keto, there's no way you could lose 15lb of fat in 21 days. Hell, I don't think you could lose that by fasting!
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10) livinghealthy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jennarae86 View Post
    is there an online link to this? im kinda of curious but that sounds too good to be true imo and too fast of weight lost in soo little time (kinda an unhealthy amount) but if ya have more info id like to read up on it and see what the deal is.
    Here is week 1:
    Meal 1= 1 1/2 cups oatmeal and 1 orange or banana
    Meal 2= 1 apple
    Meal 3= 1 cup rice, 4 oz chicken breast or fish, 1 cup summer squash
    Meal 4= 2 cups raw celery with 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
    Meal 5= 8 oz fish, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup asparagus, 3 cups salad
    Meal 6= 1 cup mixed berries

Originally Posted by kimlin85 View Post
    that just sounds extremely unhealthy.
    I just posted week 1 of the diet, see what you think...

Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    For a man who is very overweight, that is possible. If you are a woman who is in reasonable shape, it's not going to work.

Any keto diet (Atkins, South Beach, Velocity) will involve a big drop of water weight, usually 4-6lb of water for a woman, but that will go back on as soon as you back to normal eating. I'm a big fan of keto diets, but even on keto, there's no way you could lose 15lb of fat in 21 days. Hell, I don't think you could lose that by fasting!
    What does "keto" mean?

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by senshine View Post
    What does "keto" mean?
    Ketogenic. Very low carb. When you drop carbs low enough, your body goes into ketosis, where it burns fat for fuel instead of glycogen (carbs). A handy side effect is that you feel much less hungry. It has obvious advantages for someone who wants to lose a lot of fat. The disadvantage is that it is harder to do high intensity sports or training while using fat for fuel, so it's not the best diet for a competitive athlete.

There is a keto forum here, and a lot of people do some form of keto to drop bodyfat, but most BB-ers combine it with some form of carb refeed, either a carb meal before and after workouts, or a carb-up day or two each week.

Ketogenic. Very low carb. When you drop carbs low enough, your body goes into ketosis, where it burns fat for fuel instead of glycogen (carbs). A handy side effect is that you feel much less hungry. It has obvious advantages for someone who wants to lose a lot of fat. The disadvantage is that it is harder to do high intensity sports or training while using fat for fuel, so it's not the best diet for a competitive athlete.

There is a keto forum here, and a lot of people do some form of keto to drop bodyfat, but most BB-ers combine it with some form of carb refeed, either a carb meal before and after workouts, or a carb-up day or two each week.
    The lose 15 pounds in 21 days diet doesn't seem low carb to me. If you would take a look, I posted week 1 of the plan and let me know what you think. Thanks.

cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keto diets: 65% FAT? For real? Or was that supposed to be protein? I can't imagine eating that much fat in a day!

Crash diets: run run run! I did a crash diet last month thinking I was going to drop some major fat really fast, and it backfired big time. It was low-cal and very low-carb and I was so desperate for carbs that when I started eating them, I couldn't stop and as a result I am now bigger than when I started. grrrrrr...... I knew better but I was impatient. Now I am back to normal clean healthy eating. It will take longer but at least the fat loss will be permanent.

Just be health and practical!
    Last edited by cleanfreak; 07-22-2008 at 05:56 AM.

jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jennarae86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it looks like its mainly fruits and veggies, minus the chicken/fish but i would make sure you're getting a decent intake of protein, also your body's needs are dependent on how hard you workout as well, you don't want to deprive your body like cleanfreak said be careful of crash diets: they do more harm then good. I can't exactly figure out the caloric intake but it looks pretty decent (correct me if im wrong ) but what i think they mean by that diet is how much you can lose up to, but it also depends if they're overweight, chances are theyd see better results.; the title seems very deceiving of the diet.

Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
    Keto diets: 65% FAT? For real? Or was that supposed to be protein? I can't imagine eating that much fat in a day!
    Yes, for real. Don't worry, it's not as horrifying as it sounds. Something like eggs or salmon are perfect keto foods.

Here is week 1:
    Meal 2= 1 apple
    Don't like this diet at all. Where is the fat? You need fat for a healthy diet. And there is a lot of wasted carbs in there.

I've just added up all that food, and it comes to 1631 calories, 118g of protein, 228g of carbs, 33g of fat. That's already more than many women here are eating to cut. You certainly won't lose 15lb on that.

Don't like this diet at all. Where is the fat? You need fat for a healthy diet. And there is a lot of wasted carbs in there.

I've just added up all that food, and it comes to 1631 calories, 118g of protein, 228g of carbs, 33g of fat. That's already more than many women here are eating to cut. You certainly won't lose 15lb on that.
    I eat 8 oz of salmon as my fish for meal 5, is that enough fat? Also, if I add olive oil to the salad, how much should I add?
    I am ok with not losing 15lbs, but any amount of fat loss will be good for me.

Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post

Crash diets: run run run! I did a crash diet last month thinking I was going to drop some major fat really fast, and it backfired big time. It was low-cal and very low-carb and I was so desperate for carbs that when I started eating them, I couldn't stop and as a result I am now bigger than when I started. grrrrrr...... I knew better but I was impatient. Now I am back to normal clean healthy eating. It will take longer but at least the fat loss will be permanent.

Just be health and practical!
    This meal plan seems very healthy to me. I appreciate your advice and am taking it into consideration.

Week 2 and Week 3 menu

Here is week 2 of the plan. It also includes drinking at least 1 oz of water per pound of bodyweight.
    1: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 orange or banana
    2: 2 cups raw celery with 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
    3: 1/2 baked potato, 4 oz chicken breast, 2 cups steamed spinach
    4: 2 cups raw celery and 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
    5: 8 oz fish (salmon), 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup asparagus, 3 cups salad

Week 3 also includes drinking 1 oz of water per pound of bodyweight.
    1: 1.5 cups oatmeal
    2: 2 cups celery
    3: 4 oz chicken or fish, 1 cup summer squash, 1 cup asparagus, 3 cups salad with 1 tbsp low-calorie salad dressing
    4: 2 cups raw celery with 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
    5: 1 hard-boiled egg
    6: 8 oz chicken or fish, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup steamed tomato, 3 cups salad
    4:

kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kimlin85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont understand why anyone needs to follow some fancy diet from a magazine w/ridiculous claims. can't you just eat clean consistently and lose weight at a healthy pace?
    -Kim

Originally Posted by kimlin85 View Post
    i dont understand why anyone needs to follow some fancy diet from a magazine w/ridiculous claims. can't you just eat clean consistently and lose weight at a healthy pace?
    Fancy...lol. I am trying my best to eat clean and I need a plan. Otherwise I don't know what I should be eating when and then it is easy for me to fail. So I found this plan and even if I don't lose 15 lbs, it seems like a healthy eating plan. If you could suggest something else, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

judging by your pictures it looks like you've already made great progress. why don't you post a general outline of what you were doing before w/your diet and workouts?
    -Kim

I eat 8 oz of salmon as my fish for meal 5, is that enough fat? Also, if I add olive oil to the salad, how much should I add?
    I am ok with not losing 15lbs, but any amount of fat loss will be good for me.
    Yes, salmon will increase the fat content and improve the diet, but it will also increase the calories. Save with olive oil.

Personally, I'd reduce the amount of oatmeal and fruit in the diet. 1.5 cups is a lot, and I'd rather see you eating extra veg than extra fruit. More nutrients and a quarter of the calories.

Actually, I'm a little dubious about the diet. That's an awful lot of celery to be eating without any dressing.

Yes, salmon will increase the fat content and improve the diet, but it will also increase the calories. Save with olive oil.

Personally, I'd reduce the amount of oatmeal and fruit in the diet. 1.5 cups is a lot, and I'd rather see you eating extra veg than extra fruit. More nutrients and a quarter of the calories.

Actually, I'm a little dubious about the diet. That's an awful lot of celery to be eating without any dressing.
    Thanks for the advice!
    What type of vegetables should I add and how much would you suggest?
    celery with organic peanut butter in weeks 1 and 3 is really good. Week 2 its just plain celery, what type of dressing can I use that is low in calories?

A very low cal dressing is something like plain yogurt (thinned with a little water if necessary) and a few drops of tabasco.

I'm a big fan of the leafy green veg. Lots of broccoli, spinach, kale, cauliflower (ok, not green, but it counts), brussel sprouts, mustard greens, dandelion (really peps up a salad).

A very low cal dressing is something like plain yogurt (thinned with a little water if necessary) and a few drops of tabasco.

I'm a big fan of the leafy green veg. Lots of broccoli, spinach, kale, cauliflower (ok, not green, but it counts), brussel sprouts, mustard greens, dandelion (really peps up a salad).
    I will have to try the plain yogurt with tabasco, I've never heard of that before!! And I have a question about kale: do you eat it raw or cooked?

MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000) MountainSong is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Losing that much weight so rapidly could have a detrimental affect on the major organs, eg.,heart, liver, kidneys, etc. To lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks a person would have to be extremely overweight and the loss would be mostly just water, which will just come right back again.
    From the look of your picture and height and weight proportions it would seem you just need to add to your lean muscle.
    MountainSong

Our greatest freedom is to discipline ourselves.

Life is lived looking forward, but understood only by looking backward.

"Absorb what is useful; reject what is useless."Bruce Lee

Originally Posted by MountainSong View Post
    Losing that much weight so rapidly could have a detrimental affect on the major organs, eg.,heart, liver, kidneys, etc. To lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks a person would have to be extremely overweight and the loss would be mostly just water, which will just come right back again.
    From the look of your picture and height and weight proportions it would seem you just need to add to your lean muscle.
    I understand that I won't lose 15 lbs on this plan, but it seems like a healthy eating plan for me. How can I add lean muscle?

precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is week 1:
    Meal 2= 1 apple
    is it me or it that mostly carbs ??? doesnt make sense to me *scratches her head*

precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Home made salad dressing : yogurt, mustard (any kind u like) all mixed with a bit of honey

I did look at your pictures also and where do you want to lose 15 lbs from ???? you are F.I.N.E. girl ! Maybe gain a bit of mass but ur fine no need to lose per say trust me ;-)

I will have to try the plain yogurt with tabasco, I've never heard of that before!! And I have a question about kale: do you eat it raw or cooked?
    I made up the yogurt and tabasco one when I needed a dressing in a hurry.

Kale: definitely cook. Strip the leaves off the stalks, chop roughly and cook. A little olive oil and/or garlic works really well with it.