Thread: ACSM's Texts

AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlmostNatural will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ACSM's Texts

I ordered: ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer(2nd edition)
    ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (7th edition)
    ACSM's Certification Review (2nd edition)

The latter 2 of those titles are not the latest editions of those books. My question is: Are the differences between volumes really that significant? I've already ordered the books, they are being shipped, so it is too late for me to cancel. Is it alright that they are not the latest editions and will that have any affect on my ability to pass certification?

Thanks a lot.
    Professional Ass Kicker

CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ACSM is a difficult test, but I passed it on the first try using solely the Resources for the Personal Trainer. The other two texts are great compliments, and I still use the guidelines when designing programs for clients today. Make sure you really know your stuff on special populations because ACSM is very big on those.

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bumping this as I have the same question and was wondering if anyone else had any input. When I ordered the GETP I checked and double checked the edition from ACSM site and it said 7th edition, though now I know that the 8th edition is out.

How much of a difference will it make if I've read all the books and studied them?
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CSmit724 View Post
    ACSM is a difficult test, but I passed it on the first try using solely the Resources for the Personal Trainer. The other two texts are great compliments, and I still use the guidelines when designing programs for clients today. Make sure you really know your stuff on special populations because ACSM is very big on those.
    THIS.

I know that the test just changed in July to reflect the updates. I had the newest book, so I am not sure how greatly it will affect you. Maybe do the practice test to give you an idea (is it online yet?).
    Do not confuse the conditions in your life with the truth about you. Conditions may be influential, but they are not immutable.
    Conditions can, and do change!
    Circumstances may have an effect, but they are not the deciding factors in your life. Do not allow what is going on around you to determine what comes through you. Do not allow your self to believe that what happens to you can in any way alter the truth about you!

MindOverMayo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was about to order the texts today, but I was also confused by which edition of the books to get for the most current test. I've contacted ACSM directly, so I'll post here if they respond back to me.

Correct Texts

I received confirmation from the ACSM certification department. I'm testing in December and here are the current texts for the test:

--ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer, 2nd edition

--ACSM'sGuidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th edition

--ACSM'sCertification Review, 3rd. edition
    Every day is a new day!
    www.mindovermayo.com | www.twitter.com/MindOverMayo

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MindOverMayo View Post
    I received confirmation from the ACSM certification department. I'm testing in December and here are the current texts for the test:

--ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer, 2nd edition

--ACSM'sGuidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th edition

--ACSM'sCertification Review, 3rd. edition
    Is this all for the HFI or do they have a personal trainer cert now?

I'm thinking of dumping my NASM-CPT and going ACSM next time I need CSCS CEus...
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evelynmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by askthetrainer View Post

I'm thinking of dumping my NASM-CPT and going ACSM next time I need CSCS CEus...
    I believe that is the ACSM-CPT only. I just ordered the exact same set of books

beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I order the old edditions and studied hard, then got a letter telling me the reviesed the books. I was faced with the decision of testing hoping I had the right material or spending more money on more books studying longer and testing. I tested having only studied the 7th ed book and passed (Barely) but I passed.

The test is hard, I suggest all three books, as well as acsmlearning.org . I had aced the practice test and memorized every question on it and was blown away at how clinical the actual test was. I find all 3 books critical to test.
    David Kimmel
    American College of Sports Medicine
    Certified Personal Trainer

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by beakerfunk View Post
    I order the old edditions and studied hard, then got a letter telling me the reviesed the books. I was faced with the decision of testing hoping I had the right material or spending more money on more books studying longer and testing. I tested having only studied the 7th ed book and passed (Barely) but I passed.

The test is hard, I suggest all three books, as well as acsmlearning.org . I had aced the practice test and memorized every question on it and was blown away at how clinical the actual test was. I find all 3 books critical to test.
    Did you take the tests right out of school? I'm afraid to take any new cert test 7 years after graduating
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did you take the tests right out of school? I'm afraid to take any new cert test 7 years after graduating
    No, I don't have my degree yet, I haven't taken a college course in 5 years. I am planning on going back to college and the program I am entering suggest the ACSM upon completing your degree. I studied on my own for about 5-6 months just the 3 text books and acsmlearning.org. I did not take the 3 days acsm workshop although if I had the money I would have liked to. Luckly currently I have a full time job that allowed me to do a lot of reading so I pretty much just studied on my own most days taking notes and memorizing and passed. Like I said I barley passed but I passed.
    David Kimmel
    American College of Sports Medicine
    Certified Personal Trainer

Originally Posted by evelynmp View Post
    I believe that is the ACSM-CPT only. I just ordered the exact same set of books
    Correct - these are the texts for the ACSM-CPT.
    Every day is a new day!
    www.mindovermayo.com | www.twitter.com/MindOverMayo