Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rutenguten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Want to lose 12 inches off my waist and gain 20lbs muscle in 9 months. Possible? How?

Hi. Lurking here a long-time and always found answers to all my BB questions. Been lifting for 20+ years. Above average strength in the gym (i.e.: sets of 240 with barbell military press, touching chest and full extension, no cheating). Each muscle group worked 10 sets per week and never the same excercises.

Happy with my shape, but my blood work says tryglicerides very high. I eat right, no drinking. Doctor said only way is to lose belly fat (46 to 34in).

All advice welcome.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by rutenguten; 04-30-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Rules

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rutenguten View Post
    Lurking here a long-time

Will be taking 140mg of test. per week.
    Odd how you missed the part about people getting banned for talking about drug use

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Odd how you missed the part about people getting banned for talking about drug use
    Hi, good catch. The test. is being perscribed by an MD. Truth.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    In answer to your question, I have no idea. Are your test levels going to be supra-normal or just normal?

A natty would be able to do one or the other but not both. The 20lbs muscle gain would only be possible for complete newb who is also willing to gain a lot of fat.

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you've been lifting for 20 years and can military press 240 lbs for reps, I highly doubt you're going to be able to gain 20 lbs in 9 months. As a newbie, yeah, maybe... with a really good training plan and diet.
    Meet Best: 220/125/260 kg for a 384 Wilks IPF Nov 2018.

In answer to your question, I have no idea. Are your test levels going to be supra-normal or just normal?

A natty would be able to do one or the other but not both. The 20lbs muscle gain would only be possible for complete newb who is also willing to gain a lot of fat.
    Thanks for the answer. At least this is not a complete no. Here's some highlights of my strategy:

- 5 meals per day. 3 of which are protein shakes. This 3rd protein meal will be saving me 650 calories per day from what I am eating now.
    - Increase my reps for each muscle group by 4. 6 for chest with inclusion of incline press.
    - No cardio. This could change do to increased heart rate concerns. Right now I walk my Dobe 2 miles per day.

Stats:

Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 267lbs.
    Waist = 46in.
    Chest = 54in.
    Shoulders = 59in.
    Bicept flexed = 20.5in.

I calculate my weight to be 200 with no muscle gain, after I lose. I want to end up with 220.
    Will report bimonthly with new Stats.

In the mean time, if anyone wants to chime in with any advice, I would be grateful. Cheers.

Originally Posted by geoffstgermaine View Post
    If you've been lifting for 20 years and can military press 240 lbs for reps, I highly doubt you're going to be able to gain 20 lbs in 9 months. As a newbie, yeah, maybe... with a really good training plan and diet.
    Thanks for the reply.

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no mystery or drugs needed. Lose body fat = creating a calorie deficit through the use of diet and/or exercises. simple as that.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IronOynx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Must be a troll, you must be.

Originally Posted by DYTrainer View Post
    no mystery or drugs needed. Lose body fat = creating a calorie deficit through the use of diet and/or exercises. simple as that.
    That's a given. But to increase muscle mass while doing this is the challenge.

Originally Posted by IronOynx
    Must be a troll, you must be.
    I'm not sure if are refering to me, but if you are, kindly stop pissing on my thread. I apologize in advance if you meant someone else. Looking for serious answers.

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That's a given. But to increase muscle mass while doing this is the challenge.

I'm not sure if are refering to me, but if you are, kindly stop pissing on my thread. I apologize in advance if you meant someone else. Looking for serious answers.
    Guess can be done, but mostly by newbies and by your accounts you are not. One requires a calorie surplus, while one requires a calorie deficit. So they are basically on the other end of the spectrum from each other. Now you mentioned some chemical help, which can change things dramatically, though I suspect there are better sources of information out there.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What is your goal weight and BF%?

Just aim to hold on to as much muscle mass as possible while cutting the fat... trying to cut fat and build muscle generally just results in not accomplishing much of either

Well, it seems the best I can hope for from this thread and speaking with others is keeping my current muscle weight and strength while losing. My profile picture is current. I will update monthly.

embrance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) embrance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go on Keto for 4 weeks.goal achieved!

Hello. It's been about a month since my original post and wanted to update my stats. I know I promised bimonthly, but this stuff takes time for any tangible results. Same time of day with the measurements and weigh off:

Stats:

Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 263lbs.
    Waist = 45in.
    Chest = 54in.
    Shoulders = 59in.
    Bicept flexed = 20.65in.

Some interesting observations:

1) For me, it's always been 5.5lbs, per inch off the waist so it looks like more fat than muscle lost this time around.
    2) How did I gain .15 inches on the bicepts? I have started working them harder. Just watching Jay Cutler's bicept WOs on YouTube where he does a set and waits 30 seconds and does it again and again and again.
    3) I think water weight may be a little involved, so next month will probably a better reflection.

Cheers.

Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly you're too focused on muscle gain while having way too much body fat IMHO. For my trainees I won't recommend massing unless they're at least 12% body fat. Once you start dropping enough weight you'll put your body in a much greater position to maximize LBM. Don't get focused on body part measurements at this weight either. You've got a lot of weight to lose and it's going to be deflating (no pun intended) seeing your arm and shoulder circumference drop during the fat loss. Even on TRT, being 5'10" with 20" arms is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off, and most measurements are skewed due to body weight ("fatceps"). Regarding cardio, there's two schools of thought here. Some prefer to hit the fat loss through diet (dietary deficit) while keeping cardio as your ace up your sleeve for when fat loss slows. Others prefer to keep a mild deficit along with more cardio (both LISS and HIIT) for a training induced deficit. In your particular case, I recommend adding the cardio in because of the blood work. Trust me, I'm not one of the typical 180 pound bb.com experts weighing in on something they haven't experienced. I hit a max of 256 lbs before I decided enough's enough with the "permabulk" attitude and started dropping weight. Currently down to 217 lbs (same height as you) and around 13.5%. Strength should not see a significant drop. I remember when I dropped down to 235 I hit an all time PR benching 410 raw (old PR was 405 at 250 lbs) so I wouldn't worry too much about strength.

Good luck with this. The main thing is to drop the "big or bust" mentality and go "all in" with the fat loss through dietary restriction and cardio, both of which will improve your health & body composition.
    Visit my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfADMjm2XtMj-umgWSioT2Q

Originally Posted by Lucharilla0311 View Post
    Honestly you're too focused on muscle gain while having way too much body fat IMHO. For my trainees I won't recommend massing unless they're at least 12% body fat. Once you start dropping enough weight you'll put your body in a much greater position to maximize LBM. Don't get focused on body part measurements at this weight either. You've got a lot of weight to lose and it's going to be deflating (no pun intended) seeing your arm and shoulder circumference drop during the fat loss. Even on TRT, being 5'10" with 20" arms is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off, and most measurements are skewed due to body weight ("fatceps"). Regarding cardio, there's two schools of thought here. Some prefer to hit the fat loss through diet (dietary deficit) while keeping cardio as your ace up your sleeve for when fat loss slows. Others prefer to keep a mild deficit along with more cardio (both LISS and HIIT) for a training induced deficit. In your particular case, I recommend adding the cardio in because of the blood work. Trust me, I'm not one of the typical 180 pound bb.com experts weighing in on something they haven't experienced. I hit a max of 256 lbs before I decided enough's enough with the "permabulk" attitude and started dropping weight. Currently down to 217 lbs (same height as you) and around 13.5%. Strength should not see a significant drop. I remember when I dropped down to 235 I hit an all time PR benching 410 raw (old PR was 405 at 250 lbs) so I wouldn't worry too much about strength.

Good luck with this. The main thing is to drop the "big or bust" mentality and go "all in" with the fat loss through dietary restriction and cardio, both of which will improve your health & body composition.
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply. It took me a long time to accept I won't be a 3X by the time this is done. I have increased cardio 3 time per week the same day after I lift.

My body is "geared" toward fat loss now and I will try my hardest with the weights and continue to evolve to a "healthy or bust" attitude. Considering the size loss is inevitable, it's the hardest part. Post with an update at the end of June.

Update:

Well, some good news and some bad news with this update.

The bad news is I only lost 1/2 an inch off my waist this month. Now at 44.5". This means the 9 month goal will be extended. To address this, I am staying at 4 meals per day, even on lifting days.

The good news is all other measurements stayed the same, including my weight at 263. This should start going down with the additional calorie reduction though.

Thanks again for all the support...

At your weight, the fat should be falling off. You are simply eating too many calories. You could safely lose 3-4 lbs a week. Of course your lifts might stagnate - but you can't have everything.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Instead of coutning meals you should count cals and macros.

Learn how to eat http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Dispel bull**** http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Track food http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Buy a food scale ~30 bucks for a digital
    The floundering has ended.

At your weight, the fat should be falling off. You are simply eating too many calories. You could safely lose 3-4 lbs a week. Of course your lifts might stagnate - but you can't have everything.
    I agree and have decided to mandate 2 of the 4 meals to be protein shakes only. I think I still have that complex of my lifts stagnating, but I am feeling more comfortable as this reduction in carbs. should speed the fat loss process. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    Instead of coutning meals you should count cals and macros.

Learn how to eat
    Dispel bull****
    Track food
    Buy a food scale ~30 bucks for a digital
    Thanks for the links. I just bought the highest rated digital scale from Amazon a few days ago.

Update:

It looks like I am a week shy of 3 months since I started this program. Updated measurements:

Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 258lbs.
    Waist = 44in.
    Hips = 45in.
    Chest = 53.75in.
    Shoulders = 58in.
    Bicept flexed = 20.25in.

Some concluclusions:

1) Originally, I thiought this was going to take 9 months. Seeing I only lost 2 inches so far, it will be much longer. I'm actually fine with this because from the measurements v. weight, it looks like I'm actually gaining muscle weight.

2) I know I didn't measure my hips, but, when I started, they were 2.5 inches larger than my waist. Now my hips are only 1 inch more. I have been running 2 times per week and now have included 9 sets of squats, free and hammer strength, per week.

Question: Will doing abdominal work help me burn more fat around the waist? Everything I read says no, but my hips seem to be benefiting with fat loss with running and squats.

All replys are welcome. Thanks in advance. Will update in 2 months.

BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500) BigD208 is not very helpful. (-500)
    "Want to lose 12 inches off my waist and gain 20lbs muscle in 9 months. Possible? How?"

LOL most people couldnt even do that on AAS

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Update:

It looks like I am a week shy of 3 months since I started this program. Updated measurements:

Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 258lbs.
    Waist = 44in.
    Hips = 45in.
    Chest = 53.75in.
    Shoulders = 58in.
    Bicept flexed = 20.25in.

Some concluclusions:

1) Originally, I thiought this was going to take 9 months. Seeing I only lost 2 inches so far, it will be much longer. I'm actually fine with this because from the measurements v. weight, it looks like I'm actually gaining muscle weight.

2) I know I didn't measure my hips, but, when I started, they were 2.5 inches larger than my waist. Now my hips are only 1 inch more. I have been running 2 times per week and now have included 9 sets of squats, free and hammer strength, per week.

Question: Will doing abdominal work help me burn more fat around the waist? Everything I read says no, but my hips seem to be benefiting with fat loss with running and squats.

All replys are welcome. Thanks in advance. Will update in 2 months.
    No, there is no spot reduction in fat. There is only full body fat loss, and it is achieved simply by burning more calories that you consume (with a few smaller variables added). The thread in my sig will tell you all you need to know pretty much. At your weight you could probably shoot for 3lbs per week for awhile and then drop to 2 for the remainder. With that long of a cut you may also find that it wears you down mentally. This is normal. You may have times where you need to go back to eating at maintenance for a couple weeks to get past that and also let you body "unadapt" to calorie deficit for a bit. Good luck.
    The floundering has ended.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hey OP, I went from your weight and height and waist size probably (not sure what it used to be), now at 200 pounds and 34/35" waist. It took 10 months at 7 pounds a month, or about 1.6/1.7 pounds per week. This was done through counting calories and squating, deadlifting, and pressing barbells with as much weight on them as I could lift for 5-8 reps. just count calories and lift heavy and be patient. Personally I ate 2 meals a day, it makes it much easier to count calories. I counted calories so that I was eating 800 less than maintenance on average per day. fluctuates some, but always at that average every week. so read the sig in my thread to figure out how to count calories.
    Stern Crew

Thank you for the replies everyone. Even with losing 2 inches off my waist I feel some much more healthy and mobile.

A highly respected trainer that posts on this board goes to the same gym I do. He saw me doing sets of 315 on the bench. He thinks I can max at 365. I told him maybe I'll try after I get my waist down. Now that would be something...

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    are you counting your calories?
    OG

jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jay8899 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi. Lurking here a long-time and always found answers to all my BB questions. Been lifting for 20+ years. Above average strength in the gym (i.e.: sets of 240 with barbell military press, touching chest and full extension, no cheating). Each muscle group worked 10 sets per week and never the same excercises.

Happy with my shape, but my blood work says tryglicerides very high. I eat right, no drinking. Doctor said only way is to lose belly fat (46 to 34in).

All advice welcome.

Thank you in advance.
    You been lifting 20 yrs and are coming here for advice on how to gain muscle and lose fat..That just dont sound right AT ALL! MAKES NO SENSE.

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    are you counting your calories?
    Yes, thanks. I've deleted 800 calories per day replacing one of my 4-5 meals with just a protein shake. Many raw vegetable have helped quell that point in the day I know I'm burning fat because I am HUNGRY.

Hi. Here are my updated measurements since I started this 5 months ago.

5 months ago:
    Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 267lbs.
    Waist = 46in.
    Hips = 48.5in.
    Chest = 54in.
    Shoulders = 59in.
    Bicept flexed = 20.5in.

Today:
    Height = 5'10"
    Weight = 259lbs.
    Waist = 44in.
    Hips = 44.5in.
    Chest = 53in.
    Shoulders = 59in.
    Bicept flexed = 19.75in.

Some things to note:
    Still losing too slow but I actually think I lost more in the last couple months than when I started.
    Even with this small fat loss, my energy and agility have gone up exponentially.
    First time under 260 in close to 10 years.
    Still losing fat in my hips faster than my waist. Because of running twice a week and leg presses?
    No strength loss! Did a couple reps of 325 on my 9th bench set last week
    Whomever said I had fatcepts was right. Under 20in. now.
    With the way I feel now, definately over the bloated upper body syndrome. Can't until I am lean and meaner.

All respectful advice welcome. Thanks in advance. Will post again 2-3 months. Regards.