Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Does stretching after a workout promote muscle growth?

Although I stretch after a workout anyway, I was told that it also promotes muscle growth. Does anyone know whether there is truth behind this, or whether the only growth that comes from it is the library of broscience I've collected through gym goers?
    Photochops on the Misc are my highlight.

I'm 18, do I have potential? (Not srs)

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't stretch on a workout, stretch on your off days. There have been some studies floating around that stretching could cause hyperplasia, but absolutely nothing definitive.

Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hickson517 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^ thats stupid.

stretch everyday.
    5/29/17 - **The day I decided to take my life seriously and start approaching girls, and learning openers, mid conversation phase shifting, building an emotional and physical connection. I need to get more confident in general, and get rid of my anxiety. PM if you have helpful guy advice and can instruct me on the right material to read. Thanks.

draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) draybin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    that sounds like broscience but it is good to stretch, and there could be some truth behind it. I f*cking hate stretching tho, after training my legs with weights or running it feels like crap the next day to stretch them out when you feel all tight.

DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You wanna know what promotes muscle growth

FOOD
    Sleep
    and lifting more weight than ever before

Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wiley87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DeadLiftCars View Post

FOOD
    Sleep
    No, I want to know whether stretching after a workout promotes muscle growth.

vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

FOOD
    Sleep
    This might be relevant if the OP asked if either of those promoted muscle growth, but im pretty sure he asked if stretching does.
    "I do it because i can, i can because i want to, i want to because you said i couldn't."

1 Rep Maxes

Bench - 225
    Deadlift - 320
    Squat - ?

My NEW log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132419183

no pic till I'm SWOLE JDFrizzle's Avatar
    JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JDFrizzle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Run a search on the forums. I'm pretty sure there was a big thread made in the past about this topic.
    Try the Quantum body method to change things up. It'll make you hella sore.
    Ideal Physique: Joey Gloor (lofty!!)

Originally Posted by JDFrizzle View Post
    Run a search on the forums. I'm pretty sure there was a big thread made in the past about this topic.
    Most of the threads are around 5 years old, with no studies or research backing them up.

The only study that I found regarding stretching was a thread from 2008 that backs up the theory that it actually has a negative impact on muscle growth.

Here is the post and study if anyone is interested:

Progressive stretch overload of skeletal muscle results in hypertrophy before hyperplasia.
    Antonio J, Gonyea WJ

J Appl Physiol 1993; 75:1263-71.

Abstract

Intermittent stretch of the anterior latissimus dorsi (ALD) muscle produces fiber hypertrophy without fiber hyperplasia (J. Appl. Physiol. 74: 1893-1898, 1993).

This study was undertaken to determine if a progressive increase in load and duration of stretch would induce extremely large muscle fiber areas or if the fibers would reach a critical size before the onset of fiber hyperplasia. Weights ranging from 10 to 35% of the bird's mass were attached to the right wing of 26 adult quail while the left wing served as the intra-animal control.
    The stretch protocol was as follows: day 1 (10% wt), days 2 and 3 (rest), day 4 (15% wt), days 5-7 (rest), day 8 (20% wt), days 9 and 10 (rest), days 11-14 (25% wt), days 15 and 16 (rest), and days 17-38 (35% wt).
    Birds were killed after 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28 days of stretch not including rest days.

Muscle mass increased 174% (12 days), 196% (16 days), 225% (20 days), 264% (24 days), and 318% (28 days).

Muscle length increased 60% (12 days), 34% (16 days), 59% (20 days), 50% (24 days), and 51% (28 days). Mean fiber area increased 111% (12 days), 142% (16 days), 75% (20 days), 90% (24 days), and 39% (28 days).

Fiber number, which was measured histologically, increased significantly by 82% only in the 28 days of stretch group. The percentage of slow tonic fibers did not change for any of the time points examined.

Skeletal muscle fiber hyperplasia.
    Antonio J, Gonyea WJ

Med Sci Sports Exerc 1993; 25:1333-45.

Abstract
    Skeletal muscle enlargement in adult animals has been ascribed primarily to changes in fiber cross-sectional area (i.e., fiber hypertrophy); however, recent evidence from several laboratories suggests strongly that fiber hyperplasia contributes to muscle mass increases in adult animals and possibly human athletes.

Scientists have used three models to study the cellular mechanisms of muscle enlargement: compensatory hypertrophy, stretch, and exercise. Each of these models has provided direct as well as indirect evidence supporting the occurrence of muscle fiber hyperplasia.

Direct counts of muscle fibers using nitric acid digestion techniques have shown that both exercise and stretch overload result in significant increases (range = 9-52%) in fiber number. Indirect fiber counts using histological cross-sections have suggested fiber hyperplasia (range = 10-82%) in all three models.

Additionally, the expression of embryonic myosin isoforms have provided indirect evidence for new fiber formation in stretch overloaded muscle. Furthermore, satellite cells have been shown to be involved in muscle fiber hyperplasia in stretch and exercise.
    Credits to DJAuto for the post.

DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeadLiftCars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by vandagriff16 View Post
    This might be relevant if the OP asked if either of those promoted muscle growth, but im pretty sure he asked if stretching does.
    My point is thats what promotes muscle growth. Stretching while could to warmup or prevent injury would not promote any more muscle and if it did it would be so miniscule that it wouldnt matter. You wanna get big eat more, lift more and sleep more simple as that

racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000) racketteer is just really nice. (+1000)
    My point is thats what promotes muscle growth. Stretching while could to warmup or prevent injury would not promote any more muscle and if it did it would be so miniscule that it wouldnt matter. You wanna get big eat more, lift more and sleep more simple as that
    i've read multiple places that hard stretching during a workout can increase muscle growth a bit.
    "on the bech press i usually start off with 205 doing it 5 times then once i ad my usual extra 5 pounds on i can barely do it twice. How can i increase my chest cardio? so i can rep heavy weight easier" -dc1992hp

come by and check out my log. I'm racing to a 275x5 bench and 185x3 strict press with comps.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141680751

*** MISC Strength Crew ***

Originally Posted by vandagriff16 View Post
    Didnt read study but as far as studies go I rarely believe any of them. Considering you could open any bodybuilding book and would see countless ads for New BulkingTech NanoViper scientifically studied and proven to increase lean body mass by 121% over the average whey protein/nitric oxide supp

Chris-Devries has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Yes you should stretch when done.

Originally Posted by Wiley87 View Post
    Although I stretch after a workout anyway, I was told that it also promotes muscle growth. Does anyone know whether there is truth behind this, or whether the only growth that comes from it is the library of broscience I've collected through gym goers?
    Stretching for five minutes after exercise prevents muscles from tightening too quickly. Stretching increases suppleness by stimulating the production of chemicals that lubricate connective soft tissue. Stretching hastens the delivery of oxygen and other nutrients, while speeding up the removal of lactic acid and other waste products. In order to build long, lean muscles, you must stretch them out before the tiny tears repair over the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours.

setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) setho1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would think it does dk. i try to stretch out good b4 i start a workout.
    "Jesus Never Tapped Out"

Didnt read study but as far as studies go I rarely believe any of them. Considering you could open any bodybuilding book and would see countless ads for New BulkingTech NanoViper scientifically studied and proven to increase lean body mass by 121% over the average whey protein/nitric oxide supp
    So if you don't believe studies, what do you base your opinions on?

I could easily sit here and say that stretching afterwards will promote growth, but the only reasoning would be that 'I've heard it's beneficial'. I could tell someone that shoving a finger in their anus while bicep curling will be beneficial, it doesn't mean it's true.

So far there has been one study that says it is NOT beneficial, one more than saying that it IS. Obviously not all studies are from reputable sources, and I will 9/10 times take no notice to articles that say "this product is sick, serious bro". Someone telling me something in the gym is broscience until there is genuine evidence to back it up.

So if you don't believe studies, what do you base your opinions on?

I could easily sit here and say that stretching afterwards will promote growth, but the only reasoning would be that 'I've heard it's beneficial'. I could tell someone that shoving a finger in their anus while bicep curling will be beneficial, it doesn't mean it's true.

So far there has been one study that says it is NOT beneficial, one more than saying that it IS. Obviously not all studies are from reputable sources, and I will 9/10 times take no notice to articles that say "this product is sick, serious bro". Someone telling me something in the gym is broscience until there is genuine evidence to back it up.
    Point is for this topic its common sense. Stretching aint gonna make you gain more muscle

majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's simple, stretching does promote muscle growth. As you gain muscle and get stronger your muscles get tighter. It's critical to keep muscles flexible.

Point is for this topic its common sense. Stretching aint gonna make you gain more muscle
    You obviously have no common sense. I'll use a simple analogy for you -When you make you make, what's the first thing you need to make? There you go... DOUGH! Dough is tough, in order to make it bigger you need to nee it, stretch it. Think of your muscles that way. When you stretch, you're allowing your muscles to become more flexible, hence making your ROM much better, which leads to muscle growth. THAT'S common sense.
    I rep back 100%

denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100) denurated is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think it depends on the type of training and the routine as well as the individual muscle groups and also different body types.

I mean personally I feel I have very loose shoulders and they rarely get to sore. As opposed to the guy with bulkier shoulders that get real tight and need more stretching.

Yet my biceps and forearms get real tight to the point where I stopped training then completely for a while. Only untill I started focusing on reversing my grips on rows and pulls and plenty of stretching have I began training biceps again.

I think everyone needs to personalize there goals and what not, seeing as the bigger it is the harder to stretch. But if your into mma and crossfit and what not, I could see more of a benefit from it.