Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I maintain muscle lifting twice a week?

I have Tourette syndrome, which although may be hilarious to some, is actually really annoying. Basically I tic all day and exercise of any sort makes my tics worse. I am physically capable of doing heaps of exercise and used to do lots when I was younger before it got bad, but now my tics get so unbareable during intense workout that I have to stop sometimes.

I have been working out for a month so far trying to lose 40 - 50 pounds. I am eating 300 cal 6 times a day & lifting 3 times a week (full body all compound exersises) and walking about 3km on my days off. I have lost 13 pounds so far which is good.

What I want to know is, after I lose the weight and build some muscle, would I be ok to just lift twice a week to maintain the muscle I will gain. This would make a big difference to my life as sometimes my Tourettes is worse for a day or two after training, so the less the better.

I will continue to lift 3 times a week for about 6 months or until I have lost the weight but after that would be good to go to 2 days a week is possible. I will also continue to walk every day.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Al
    Last edited by Al1978; 09-24-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do a search for Iron Addict. He has a couple 2x per week routines.
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ronnie Rowland will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink

You can gain on 2 days per week if done right!
    Author of the "Slingshot Training System"

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    You can gain on 2 days per week if done right!
    I agree if done properly you can gain.

Mr Rowland, your starting to impress me. I might have to rep you.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MISSINGLINK View Post
    Do a search for Iron Addict. He has a couple 2x per week routines.
    Here's the link...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3371051

Al1978--I really salute you for taking the right steps to lose weight and get in shape, despite your condition. I have first hand experience with the challenges inherent with training in conjunction with having a chronic illness. Yes, things can be more difficult, but it just makes reaching your utlimate goal all the more rewarding.

Best of luck to you.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Al1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great, thanks for the quick replies.

Al

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not only can you maintain on twice a week training, you can make great gains as well.

Traditionally(pre steroid), the standard advice for mass gains was:

1.Concentrating on the big basic barbell moves(the ones in your profile above the goals). Weighted chins and dips were also considered great alternatives to the row and bench.

2.Training progressively, ie adding poundage regularily.

3.Drinking lots of milk to guarantee a calorie and protein surplus. Semi skimmed is advised, 'less you are really skinny.

4.Training as little as 2 times per week. Allows as much as 5 days growth and recovery from heavy training.

5.Little stuff like curls, abs, calves can be done whenever, without cutting into your recovery. Not as important as the big basics, tho'.

www.hardgainer.com has a lot of great stuff that is based on abbreviated training twice per week, or even three times every two weeks! Have a great exercise technique book too.

Much respect for your determination, and best of luck.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).