mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Baseball & Football Workout Program(s) For A 16 Year Old

I'm new to the whole fitness/nutrition scene, and when I go to the gym, I feel lost. I don't know what exercises to do, or which machine works on what, or sometimes I don't even know how to use a certain machine!

I was hoping someone could give me a program that works muscles for baseball and/or football. I play both sports at a very high level, so I'd like to gain the edge over my opposition.

I am currently 15, but turning 16 in February, 5'9 and 149 lbs. I am already in good shape, but I would just like to add some muscle/muscle tone.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

- Matty

P.S. It'd great to talk fitness/nutrition with some of you guys on MSN, so lemme know if you'd be interested!

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mattygaul View Post
    I'm new to the whole fitness/nutrition scene, and when I go to the gym, I feel lost. I don't know what exercises to do, or which machine works on what, or sometimes I don't even know how to use a certain machine!

I was hoping someone could give me a program that works muscles for baseball and/or football. I play both sports at a very high level, so I'd like to gain the edge over my opposition.

I am currently 15, but turning 16 in February, 5'9 and 149 lbs. I am already in good shape, but I would just like to add some muscle/muscle tone.

- Matty

P.S. It'd great to talk fitness/nutrition with some of you guys on MSN, so lemme know if you'd be interested!
    I know what its like to be new, as does everybody ... there is alot of information out there, some right and some wrong so it can be challenging to sift through the bs.

First step ... there are only a couple machines that are acceptable to use in any sports training:
    -Lat Pull-down (also can be used for things like tricep pressdowns)
    -Cable tower/free motion .. just a couple names for the same thing, basically a column with adjustable arms
    -Maybe a leg curl perferably a lying one

There might be one I have left out but those are "machines" because at most commercial gyms if not all, you have to pick the weight by a selector pin. The rest of your exercises should consist of either bodyweight or free weights.

Alot of strength routines will work muscles used in both sports and both are explosive sports. The difference between football and baseball training though, is the care for the shoulder. Using for instance a barbell on a press puts a good amount of stress on your deltoid (shoulder) and is in a fixed position (very important to protect if you are a pitcher and can be a little less important if your a position player but still important). The only real other difference is that cardio wise football requires some more stamina for every position but in baseball a pitcher is the only one who really needs significant stamina .... but it shouldn't hurt you unless you are running tons of long distance runs.

I would suggest searching around these forums with the search button. There is some baseball stuff and alot of football stuff on this forum. I'm probably going to start another log as well and see if I can keep updating it throughout the season (only have 1 full month left till I start).
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bronchoTE09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Both baseball and football are interval, explosive sports. You have a play then you take a break, have a play, etc.

the only exercise that would be able to translate to both of them is olympic lifts, such as clean, snatch, power shrug, power clean and so on.

No offense, but you a little bit young to be tryin to do those on your own. If you do want to start doin them, make sure you train with someone is very familiar to them and can help teach you proper technique and form.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bronchoTE09 View Post
    the only exercise that would be able to translate to both of them is olympic lifts, such as clean, snatch, power shrug, power clean and so on.
    What about the squat? deadlift? pull-ups? db rows? even the bench press has its place for hitters .... really the only one that is dangerous is overhead pressing and counter-productive to throwing since its the opposite of what happens when you throw.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattygaul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow, thanks jgood! Yes, the "machines" at my gym use selector pins. The only problem is I don't quite know what some of these "machines" work, and how I use them, unfortunately.

When you start your log, will it have your program in it for baseball? Also, who do you play for?

Also, I'm currently recovering from a seperated AC Joint (happened January 9th). Should I be able to find some exercises on this forum that will help me regain it's strength?

Wow, thanks jgood! Yes, the "machines" at my gym use selector pins. The only problem is I don't quite know what some of these "machines" work, and how I use them, unfortunately.

When you start your log, will it have your program in it for baseball? Also, who do you play for?

Also, I'm currently recovering from a seperated AC Joint (happened January 9th). Should I be able to find some exercises on this forum that will help me regain it's strength?
    You can ask somebody or try to find it online but basically when you do an exercise you should feel certain muscles working. Just remember free weights for the most part are better and be careful with the shoulder .... and baseball wise using dumbbells is the optimal choice.

My log will be my current workout setup. I play for an NAIA school in Michigan.

My guess is band work (jobe exercises) or shoulder shrugs but I'm really not sure. You could try asking your doctor or maybe there is something on here.
    Last edited by jgood; 01-28-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Alright cool. I think i'l just watch some people use the certain machine that I don't understand how to use first, and then give it a go.

Alright sweet, and that's starting up around Spring Training time would you say?

Yeah, I'll look around the forum, or Google it or something.

The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50)

- Matty

You're school doesn't have an offseason program?

Alright cool. I think i'l just watch some people use the certain machine that I don't understand how to use first, and then give it a go.

Alright sweet, and that's starting up around Spring Training time would you say?

Yeah, I'll look around the forum, or Google it or something.
    Yes .... there are spring training games going on but I don't have time because we play like 12 games in 6 days ... plus we are in the Orlando area for like a day and then go up to Daytona so we aren't even close. Sucks to play at a northern school ... lots of my friends have already started or are about to start in warm states.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!