Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120990011

There are 10 types of people: those that understand binary, and those that do not.

mean710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Winner never quit, quitter never win.
    Cheer up!!!

beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Things went ok for me today.

Our trial match was called off, so I have planned a conditioning weekend seeing as my shoulder feels great!

Set myself a realistic goal, the coach wants tight 5 to run the 3KM in 13 minutes, so i thought i'll give it a red hot go. Ran my 3km on grass in 16:20 mins. I reckon 13 is very obtainable by season kick off which is 5 weeks!

Shoulder feels much much better, as I didnt train all week, hoping to get back into the gym next week, got my training and sleep patterns dialled in and i'm down to about 119kg!!!!
    310 Pounds down to 218 Pounds.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    not bad with the running... i just find it funny most rugby clubs test the 3k... pointless really!!!

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    how many laps of the pitch is 3km. 9,10 laps.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beertank23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's an athletics track near my house, we were running 400's.

Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    not bad with the running... i just find it funny most rugby clubs test the 3k... pointless really!!!
    The lack of knowledge most coaches have of fitness and conditioning is mind boggling, compared specially with the US, where it seems as though every team right down to the amateurs have a Strength and Conditioning Coach! I think I'm in the wrong field, I'd love to do it for a living!
    Last edited by beertank23; 03-12-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000) Shaun_W is just really nice. (+1000)
    So that's seven and a half laps of the track.

Some American university's strength and conditioning coaches can earn upwards of a million dollars a year, I've heard. American colleges' football games regularly achieve a crowd of over 50 000 per game. College sport is the gateway into professional sport in America, so they're going to have much better coaches.

Thankfully, a lot of their info is available on-line anyway.

Good luck with the training.

There are 10 types of people: those that understand binary, and those that do not.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by beertank23 View Post
    There's an athletics track near my house, we were running 400's.

The lack of knowledge most coaches have of fitness and conditioning is mind boggling, compared specially with the US, where it seems as though every team right down to the amateurs have a Strength and Conditioning Coach! I think I'm in the wrong field, I'd love to do it for a living!
    i did internship at a gym and trained nfl players, 1 guy for the combine, a few others for other combine type things... learned a lot... but yet again they do get things wrong i think the head trainer learned a lot form me... i did all the o lift technique stuff etc... running and agility stuff i learned a lot off him...

Originally Posted by Shaun_W View Post
    So that's seven and a half laps of the track.

Some American university's strength and conditioning coaches can earn upwards of a million dollars a year, I've heard. American colleges' football games regularly achieve a crowd of over 50 000 per game. College sport is the gateway into professional sport in America, so they're going to have much better coaches.

Thankfully, a lot of their info is available on-line anyway.

Good luck with the training.
    ya friend played rugby for CAL...

had 3 full time physios... their own gym... 3/4 coaches squad of 50 ish... but they are the best college rugby team... Varsity sport there...

I definelty reckon im in the wrong line of work, working with athletes would be an unreal job i reckon!

We have a squad of 80, we have 2 strappers, 1 physio who comes for 30 mins a week and 4 coaches! No gym.

acticle710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the information! I've been meaning to start this process myself so this is a big help.

toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I definelty reckon im in the wrong line of work, working with athletes would be an unreal job i reckon!

We have a squad of 80, we have 2 strappers, 1 physio who comes for 30 mins a week and 4 coaches! No gym.

2strappers, wow i much prefer to tape myself if i can although now that we no longer have the joy of free tape at my club it's amazing how many guys just do with out. 30mins a week for 80guys thats not alot considering my average time wi the physio is 15mins and i'm just getting mobility work and i though our physio didn't have enough time and she's in both training nights for about 1hour and match days and we're lucky if theres 20guys at training.

i don't know many teams in scotland that have thier own gym i can think of 6 that i definantley know off.

hows the bench press coming along you smashed through your plateu yet.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

Originally Posted by toad1 View Post
    2strappers, wow i much prefer to tape myself if i can although now that we no longer have the joy of free tape at my club it's amazing how many guys just do with out. 30mins a week for 80guys thats not alot considering my average time wi the physio is 15mins and i'm just getting mobility work and i though our physio didn't have enough time and she's in both training nights for about 1hour and match days and we're lucky if theres 20guys at training.

i don't know many teams in scotland that have thier own gym i can think of 6 that i definantley know off.

hows the bench press coming along you smashed through your plateu yet.

I reset on my bench, been going ok, nothing ground breaking. Ready to start again now, had a week off and going to start some hypertrophy trainining, with the thought that bigger muscles tend to be stronger! Going to do that for 6-8 weeks. Then start strength training again, probably 5/3/1 football by jim wendler!

RE: Our facilities.

The physio doesn't really work on anyone, she more diagnoses it and says how to treat it and strap it or whether we need to go see a physio on our own time. We are one of the smaller, less equiped clubs in the local comp.

We usually only get 40 blokes to training atm. Our club desperately needs an injection of funds from a decent sponsor, we just cant seem to attract them.

Also rugby league is huge and entrenched in our area, rugby league teams, get the vast majority of sponsorship and the local league comp which has about 12 teams, each team has a salary cap of $200 000 and our comp is very much amateur.

grammar(POOP) striling(POOP) currie(POOP) that i have seen...

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    There was a show here in the US where they took a professional football player, Dhani Jones, and let him splay pro rugby. Granted, he only got in for about 2 min, but he played for Leinster and they let him into the real post-match festivities, even if he only was a 2-min scrub for some pussy flanker.

According to the tv show, Leinster had their own bar under the stadium. Are all internationals like that? If so, I've been getting ripped off for the last 15 years and should at least have a jersey to show for it.

On an (un)related note, who would be interested in hosting a top-level D3 team from the US? Europe, Aus, NZ, etc, let me know. Let's get it set up.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    There was a show here in the US where they took a professional football player, Dhani Jones, and let him splay pro rugby. Granted, he only got in for about 2 min, but he played for Leinster and they let him into the real post-match festivities, even if he only was a 2-min scrub for some pussy flanker.

According to the tv show, Leinster had their own bar under the stadium. Are all internationals like that? If so, I've been getting ripped off for the last 15 years and should at least have a jersey to show for it.

On an (un)related note, who would be interested in hosting a top-level D3 team from the US? Europe, Aus, NZ, etc, let me know. Let's get it set up.
    If you wanted to tour to Aus you left it a little late, the Australian club rugby season is starting in the next 2 weeks or so so they wont fit a game against a touring US side into their schedules (most probably).
    Official Rugby training thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107034291

Hey guise.

I think i managed to put on a kilo during my 14 days of glutony, i started at university, so i've just been sitting round doing nothing + missed about 10 days of gym work and i feel like a fat loser for doing so.

Back in the gym today and ate really well all day, feel good.

1 week left doing this stinking program me and the mate are doing, he wants to see it through.

Starting 5/3/1 for Football next week. Although I have had a curious thought about doing some hypertrophy training before 531. Thoughts?

Started Farmers walks tonight, never done them before and I have the forearm strength of a 4 year old girl. Walked about 20m x 2 with 35kg dumbells, really great exercise!! I love them. felt great plus hopefully i'll get some forearm strength out of it and i used it as a finisher exercise as Joe. D. calls em.

i'm in the gay forearms club as well.

grammar(POOP) striling(POOP) currie(POOP) that i have seen...

yeh they're all poo, the only team i know that has a decent gym is bourghmuir cos thats the gym i use and its more of a comercial gym in a rugby club as the players still have to pay to use it.

Domain710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

Played 2 games on daturday lads, i was hoping to get picked for seconds, but i got dropped to thirds. I turned up for thirds, played a whole game and then ran on for second grade in like 35 degree aussie heat!

Starting 5/3/1 football Monday evening! Let yall know how it goes!

Played 2 games on daturday lads, i was hoping to get picked for seconds, but i got dropped to thirds. I turned up for thirds, played a whole game and then ran on for second grade in like 35 degree aussie heat!

two games in a day...good work i'm all but dead after my games. after years of not playing 80min games my body is taking a while to get used to them. ive had maybe 6-8 full games this year and i doubt if ive had that many in the last 4years.

You got the ebook?

You got the ebook?

Yeah broski. I ahve the 531 Football but not the original 531 so I'm a bit unsire about the 531 rep sets protocol, doing a bit of research nao.

Weighting about 119kgs guise. Hit a plateau atm, still confident i will smash through it. 115kgs here I come.

Yeah broski. I ahve the 531 Football but not the original 531 so I'm a bit unsire about the 531 rep sets protocol, doing a bit of research nao.
    Worth buying for rugby?

Worth buying for rugby?
    i have it... who you going to play rugby for???

Played a mixed trial of 1st grade and second grade today.

Pretty happpy with how I ment around the park and that, had a couple of good touches.

Two downsides.

My first crack at scrummaging for the year and i failed a bit, couldn't get the hit on this fat slob. I remembered how to scrummage after about 20 mins and the second downside is one the opposing second rowers put a jam session on me, i got up alright, just he lined me up and put the hurt on.

i have it... who you going to play rugby for???
    Probably for RGU after the summer.

Hey guise started 5/3/1 for football.

2 days a week in season workouts.

I'm a lot, lot weaker atm, due directly to my wieght loss goals and my fantastic rugby conditioning.

The inseason is.

Monday - Bench. Squat. Chins. Dips.
    Wednesday - Military. Deadlift. 10 minute tricep/bicep pump up. Glute/Ham Raisers. I supplemented the AB workout for Powercleans.

Might add prone bridges into mondays workout.

I also added plyometrics and flexibility work on Fridays, I try to keep the intensity low.

Anyway my 1 Rep maxes were 90kg bench, squat - i dunno, i was working on form, military 60kg, deadlift - 160kg, powerclean 70kg.

Quite ashamed of my bench and military.

Compared to preseason.

Bench 100kg x 6. dealift - 170kg. Hangclean x 70kg. Squat 160kg. Seated Db Shoulder press 40kg Dumbells.

Anyway, I'm back on track now, good diet, good program, good training parter. Hoping to have a good base to launch from in preseason, where i get all my strength gains!

considering you've lost 10kgs those strength loses are nothing and you'll get them back in no time and i reckon you'll blitz them just as quick and 10kgs in the deadlift can be as simple as not enough rest, wrong foods what other lifts you've done that week how you are mentally on the day. like i bet mentaly you where thinking 'ohh ive lost wieght so my lifts will be down'.

keep up the good work, plus i bet feeling fitter and leaner around the park is making a far greater improvement to your rugby than 10kgs on your 1RM's.

considering you've lost 10kgs those strength loses are nothing and you'll get them back in no time and i reckon you'll blitz them just as quick and 10kgs in the deadlift can be as simple as not enough rest, wrong foods what other lifts you've done that week how you are mentally on the day. like i bet mentaly you where thinking 'ohh ive lost wieght so my lifts will be down'.

keep up the good work, plus i bet feeling fitter and leaner around the park is making a far greater improvement to your rugby than 10kgs on your 1RM's.

Truer words never spoken!!!

Hey yall.

Quick question.

How do you progress weights with 5/3/1?

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

One mesocycle lasts 16 workouts, or a little over 5 weeks.

Each mesocycle has 4 microcycles or "waves".
    Wave 1. Warmup, 75%x5, 80%x5, 85%x5
    Wave 2. Warmup, 80%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3
    Wave 3. Warmup, 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1
    Wave 4. (deload) - 60%x5, 65%x5, 70%x5
    If on the 3rd week, last week, you only lift 95% of 1RM how do you progress? I don't get it, am i missing something?

Also back on track in the gym, 100kg for 2 reps!