pvn100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting after an appendectomy

Greetings friends.

I'm 31, not a bodybuilder but certainly someone who enjoys lifting regularly. Been working out for many years and recently, made some great gains. Then I had an appendectomy, two weeks ago. I had the smaller version (I forget what they call it), where you get the small incision. The only thing I could find online about this was someone posting you should wait 6-12 months to lift again (!!). The surgeon wasn't much help, saying, "If it hurts, don't do it."

Those of you who have been through this, I would appreciate you sharing your own experiences and time frames. I'm very concerned about causing more damage.

Registered User BatmanDeadlifts's Avatar
    BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50) BatmanDeadlifts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was lifting about a week or so after having mine taken out. Just drop the weights for a bit and dont do anything causing muscular contractions around the incisions for a few weeks.
    Only support QUALITY companies in the industry which are few and far between.

Thanks!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pvn100 View Post
    I'm very concerned about causing more damage.
    As well you should be. I'm no doc, but even a small incision through the abdominal wall will require sufficient time to heal. I would press the surgeon for something more definite than "if it hurts;" that just doesn't make sense to me.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Yeah, I join you in not be satisfied. All he could give me was what was previously stated, plus "no more then 10 lbs for two weeks."

It's really frustrating. On top of the surgery, I became dehydrated three days later, so I had to be treated for that, too.

I'm thinking gym next Monday (3 weeks post op), and very light weights (no free weights, either) for another 3 weeks. No abs, no twisting movements during that time.

At 6 weeks, I'll reevaluate.

wardvette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also had laproscopic appendectomy and was jogging within a week and lifting in two weeks. I probably could have done certain lifts much sooner like bench press.

My doc said there really weren't any risks for reopening wounds or causing more problems so I don't think your doc was off by saying it should be fine as long as it doesn't hurt.