ExavierSteel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are the best shoes for an elliptical machine.

Hi. I'm 35 and I've only worn the same type, color, and brand of shoe sense I was 12 as I'm just that way. Anyway, I'm now doing lot's of Cardio in addition to my lifting to lose weight, in fact I'm going to buy my own elliptical machine next month, and man are my feet killing me. I even wake up with sore feet and have to kind of tip toe for the first few minutes. I think I need to start wearing a different kind of shoe when using one of these elliptical machines. I can really feel it badly when the machine is fully tilted up on the heighst level. In fact I now have to only go up 4/5 of the way because my feet hurt to badly when it is at full tilt. I just can't imagine going on like this to much longer and staying interested in Cardio the way I want to. I really need to take care of this quick.

Any suggestions. More specific the better as I know literally know zero about shoes. Like some brand names and model numbers even. Would love to keep it under a hundred. Also, where should I go to buy them at a great price with a knowledgable staff?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The "best" anything is subjective.

Wear what ever shoe is comfortable for you. Whether it's a running shoe, basketball shoe, or cross trainer. What type are you currently wearing? Are they worn out? If new, have you broken them in? Are they too tight? Maybe not the right size?

Ready for the Next Level ryanINmichigan's Avatar
    ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryanINmichigan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I run a mile sprint on the eliptical before doing my weight training, and I use Reebok Cross Training shoes. They seem to suit me fine. I've found that anything "cross training" seems to work best on the eliptical.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    When you wake up with sore feet, where does it hurt?

(I'm guessing that your heels hurt. Am I right?)

elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know some ellipticals give people numb toes so a lot of pressure must be on the front part of the foot.
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    When you wake up with sore feet, where does it hurt?

(I'm guessing that your heels hurt. Am I right?)

Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000) Ion26 is just really nice. (+1000)

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by elgreek84 View Post
    I know some ellipticals give people numb toes so a lot of pressure must be on the front part of the foot.
    You might be right. If that's the case, I'd think some shoes with additional toe room would be what the OP wants. OTOH, if the OP's heels are hurting, it could be that he has plantar fasciitis. We're both guessing though until we know more.

elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) elgreek84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok so i'm not sure what shoes you were wearing for all those years (maybe chucks?)
    Just go to Big 5 or some other sporting good store and buy some 45-55 dollar sauconys or new balance. You really should be doing your workout with a nice solid shoe with good support (not chucks!). That should be all you need, as long as you know you're not injuring yourself, work through the discomfort and you might strengthen your feet.

Also, not sure what elliptical you're getting, I just got a Sole E55 and definitely getting the numb toes in the front, but still trying to figure out the adjustable pedals (good cheap machine though!). But I know that Precors typically do not have this problem as they prevent your heels from raising off the pedals (but you pay almost double/triple).

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ExavierSteel View Post
    Hi. I'm 35 and I've only worn the same type, color, and brand of shoe sense I was 12 as I'm just that way. Anyway, I'm now doing lot's of Cardio in addition to my lifting to lose weight, in fact I'm going to buy my own elliptical machine next month, and man are my feet killing me. I even wake up with sore feet and have to kind of tip toe for the first few minutes. I think I need to start wearing a different kind of shoe when using one of these elliptical machines. I can really feel it badly when the machine is fully tilted up on the heighst level. In fact I now have to only go up 4/5 of the way because my feet hurt to badly when it is at full tilt. I just can't imagine going on like this to much longer and staying interested in Cardio the way I want to. I really need to take care of this quick.

Any suggestions. More specific the better as I know literally know zero about shoes. Like some brand names and model numbers even. Would love to keep it under a hundred. Also, where should I go to buy them at a great price with a knowledgable staff?

SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SDSammy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You might be right. If that's the case, I'd think some shoes with additional toe room would be what the OP wants. OTOH, if the OP's heels are hurting, it could be that he has plantar fasciitis. We're both guessing though until we know more.
    I don't think the shoe has much to do with numbness of the toes. I either use Nike Free or water shoes (aqua socks) when on the elliptical. Both shoe types have plenty of toe space yet my feet still go numb. I've also noticed that it doesn't matter what brand of elliptical I'm using. The most I can stay on it is 30mins otherwise my feet go completely numb.

I'm also guessing here but I think it's because while on the elliptical, we don't completely lift our feet from the pedals. Our toes are pretty much always making contact. When we run we lift our feet off the ground. When we bike, there isn't as much pressure on our feet. When we use an elliptical, we keep constant pressure with pretty much our entire weight on our feet. That may keep the blood from flowing to our feet (toes) properly which in turn, causes them to fall asleep.

Again, it's just a guess.

To the strongest TacticalTurtle's Avatar
    TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50) TacticalTurtle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I recently got some Fivefinger Bilkas and I love them. Some fiends of mine got the Komodo Sports and they are also great (I'd by them over the Bilkas because of all the river rock around here). They look goofy at first but I'd wear them all day if I could.

Edit: I had to buy mine online and the measuring advice they give is right on but I'd try them on at the store if you have the option as they are kind of pricey to take that leap of faith if you think you may not like them.

Oh... my brother in law just got some Speeds and he's a huge fan. I'm going to get some and probably just rock those instead of my normal Vans for everyday use.
    Move further, Move faster, Fight harder.

Don't tell me what I can't do.

Originally Posted by SDSammy View Post
    I don't think the shoe has much to do with numbness of the toes. I either use Nike Free or water shoes (aqua socks) when on the elliptical. Both shoe types have plenty of toe space yet my feet still go numb. I've also noticed that it doesn't matter what brand of elliptical I'm using. The most I can stay on it is 30mins otherwise my feet go completely numb.

I'm also guessing here but I think it's because while on the elliptical, we don't completely lift our feet from the pedals. Our toes are pretty much always making contact. When we run we lift our feet off the ground. When we bike, there isn't as much pressure on our feet. When we use an elliptical, we keep constant pressure with pretty much our entire weight on our feet. That may keep the blood from flowing to our feet (toes) properly which in turn, causes them to fall asleep.

Again, it's just a guess.
    It may depend upon the machine and the user. I used to use a Precor Transport for up to an hour at a time. I don't recall ever having a problem with numb toes.

It may depend upon the machine and the user.
    I definitely agree on it depending on the user. However for me, the machine doesn't matter. I've used several Precor models including the AMT, Life Fitness, Octane, Star Trac, Cybex (arc trainer) and a few other home ellipticals and my feet fell asleep when using all of them. If I remember correctly the normal commercial Precor ellipticals were worse with the Cybex being the best.

When I want to use an elliptical for longer than 30 mins, I have take a break (a minute or two off the elliptical) otherwise, my feet go completely numb which is obviously annoying.

I don't know about it being plantar fasciitis. My feet only hurt when I'm doing cardio for a long time or if I'm walking for a long time like on a 3 hour tour I took last month of Cowboy Stadium. Otherwise I don't notice my feet hurting. Also, I have plenty of toe room in my shoes. Not saying it couldn't be though. I wikied it and I have a few symptoms, but not all, and not all the time. I'll try to remember to bring it up with my doctor the next time I see him. Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by elgreek84 View Post
    Ok so i'm not sure what shoes you were wearing for all those years (maybe chucks?)
    Just go to Big 5 or some other sporting good store and buy some 45-55 dollar sauconys or new balance. You really should be doing your workout with a nice solid shoe with good support (not chucks!). That should be all you need, as long as you know you're not injuring yourself, work through the discomfort and you might strengthen your feet.

Also, not sure what elliptical you're getting, I just got a Sole E55 and definitely getting the numb toes in the front, but still trying to figure out the adjustable pedals (good cheap machine though!). But I know that Precors typically do not have this problem as they prevent your heels from raising off the pedals (but you pay almost double/triple).

Good luck!
    For 23 years straight I've worn Reebok Men's Club C Fashion Sneakers in White. Up until a few days ago, it never once occured to me to ever wear anything else.

I'm at this moment in time looking to get the Sole E95. It seems to be the best for what I want and need for the money I'm willing to spend.

I actually use a Commercial precor at my gym. An efx something I think? When I have it fully elevated up to it's max of 20, that's when I hurt the most. Don't think I'll let it go up to 20 any more on the program setting that I use. Maybe 14-16 max.

I have gotten numb toes with the Precor as well a few times.

Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by SDSammy View Post
    I definitely agree on it depending on the user. However for me, the machine doesn't matter. I've used several Precor models including the AMT, Life Fitness, Octane, Star Trac, Cybex (arc trainer) and a few other home ellipticals and my feet fell asleep when using all of them. If I remember correctly the normal commercial Precor ellipticals were worse with the Cybex being the best.

When I want to use an elliptical for longer than 30 mins, I have take a break (a minute or two off the elliptical) otherwise, my feet go completely numb which is obviously annoying.
    Yea, I get that foot feels asleep feeling too sometimes. Maybe I should step off and take a quick walk after thirty mins as well. Great advice. Thanks.

Well I guess I'll go somewhere and try some cross trainers. Not sure where to buy them though. Maybe Dicks? Acadamy Sports seems to be pricey.

Thanks for all the help people.

I'm at this moment in time looking to get the Sole E95. It seems to be the best for what I want and need for the money I'm willing to spend.
    It's a pretty solid machine, takes a while to build. I know the lowest level (1) is harder than commercial (precor) trainers, but it's not that bad and you get used to it. I had 3k to spend and I would rather get an elliptical+treadmill than one precor elliptical, so it was an easy choice for me.

The E95 may be a good choice for you as it also has the cushioned foot pedals, the e55 doesn't.

spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000) spilvey is just really nice. (+1000)
    inb4 fractured face
    Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated

Originally Posted by spilvey View Post
    inb4 fractured face
    ???????

Anyway, so today I woke up and made note of my feet and the part that seemed to hurt was actually both my calves and the part of my feet below my toes.

As I took yesterday off and made that my cheat day, and ate 5200 calories, I decided to go do two sessions of 1.5hrs of cardio today as I don't lift weights on Sundays. I kept the incline mostly low today, and after the third hour really felt it on the part of my feet below the toes. I guess this is the part that is bothering me the most and the part I need to address in a new pair of shoes. Of course the middle of my feet hurt as well right now, now that I'm just relaxing and having been on a machine for several hours, but that might be refered pain from the other part of the foot. Don't know.

It makes sense though as the front of my feet is the part of the foot that is always in contact with the foot pedal on the machine that I'm using, which is a Precore EFX 534 by the way. My foot does seem to come up when I'm working out and using it, meaning my heel isn't always in contact with the foot pedals.

Don't know if any of this info is helpful in figuring out the best shoe for me to wear. Just thought I'd mention it.

cheers.

Anyway, so today I woke up and made note of my feet and the part that seemed to hurt was actually both my calves and the part of my feet below my toes.

As I took yesterday off and made that my cheat day, and ate 5200 calories, I decided to go do two sessions of 1.5hrs of cardio today as I don't lift weights on Sundays. I kept the incline mostly low today, and after the third hour really felt it on the part of my feet below the toes. I guess this is the part that is bothering me the most and the part I need to address in a new pair of shoes. Of course the middle of my feet hurt as well right now, now that I'm just relaxing and having been on a machine for several hours, but that might be refered pain from the other part of the foot. Don't know.

It makes sense though as the front of my feet is the part of the foot that is always in contact with the foot pedal on the machine that I'm using, which is a Precore EFX 534 by the way. My foot does seem to come up when I'm working out and using it, meaning my heel isn't always in contact with the foot pedals.

Don't know if any of this info is helpful in figuring out the best shoe for me to wear. Just thought I'd mention it.
    You might just need a shoe with more padding and support than to what you're accustomed. You might even be able to get by using a better insole in conjunction with the same shoes that you've worn for all these years.

You might just need a shoe with more padding and support than to what you're accustomed. You might even be able to get by using a better insole in conjunction with the same shoes that you've worn for all these years.
    No, your right, I definitily need shoes with more padding. That's for darn sure. I'm just not sure which shoe to buy or where as I don't know anything about workout shoes.

I did a month ago buy some inserts for my shoes that cost twelve bucks but they turned out to be crap as I can't get them to stay in place in my shoes long enough to even get them on correctly. I've trimmed them down like they said and everything but I think unless I glued or stapled them in or something, it's usless. Meanwhile if you did glue them in and didn't get them just right, I'm pretty sure they would hurt even more then if you didn't have them in as they seem to be built to conture to your feet in a very specific way.

I'm sure I"ll figure it all out.

Thanks for your advice.

No, your right, I definitily need shoes with more padding. That's for darn sure. I'm just not sure which shoe to buy or where as I don't know anything about workout shoes.
    It's hard to provide specific shoe advice due to the fact that shoes that may work well for me might be terrible for your and vice versa. If buying online, consider zappos.com. They have free shipping in both directions. The free shipping that they have from them to you is not so unusual - a lot of vendors do this. What is unusual, I think, is that they also have free return shipping. So if the shoe doesn't fit or you don't like it or something, you can return it for a full and complete refund.

For your purposes though, it'd probably be better to go to a local vendor that sells good quality athletic shoes. Try on a number of different shoes and see what feels best to you. Run around the store in them if you can. Even after all of that, you might still not know how well they'll work for the elliptical machine, but at least you'll be able to weed out the ones that are completely unsuitable.

I did a month ago buy some inserts for my shoes that cost twelve bucks but they turned out to be crap as I can't get them to stay in place in my shoes long enough to even get them on correctly. I've trimmed them down like they said and everything but I think unless I glued or stapled them in or something, it's usless. Meanwhile if you did glue them in and didn't get them just right, I'm pretty sure they would hurt even more then if you didn't have them in as they seem to be built to conture to your feet in a very specific way.
    It sounds like you got some partial length inserts? IMO, the way to go on this sort of thing is with a full length supportive insole that replaces the original insole of the shoe. A couple of brands to consider are Sole Custom Footbeds and Superfeet Premium Insoles. (I've used the former, but not the latter.)

It sounds like you got some partial length inserts? IMO, the way to go on this sort of thing is with a full length supportive insole that replaces the original insole of the shoe.................
    Actually they were full length inserts that were too long, even though I'm a size 13 and I had to trim down the front. They cost me like 15 bucks too. They look nice, and seem like they would be great for the feet as they have lots of contours to form to your feet and are made of some type of gel, but they just won't stay in place as you put your foot in, and if their not in just right, then they actually make your feet hurt worse. LOL

I'll say this though, over the last few days I've been keeping the machine's incline set down way lower and man has that helped. I did two hours today and my feet don't hurt nearly as much as they have in the past. I think I need to just keep the incline lower and burn a few less calories in exchange for proper foot care. In fact I felt like I could have done another two.

Anyway, thanks for your help, i'm sure I'll find a great pair of shoes thanks to everyones help.

thienbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thank you

Me you want to add a community to trang web of me with extra guess to development số quality guest tham quan. Làm thế which to add a me to diễn đàn trang web of me how to use with frontpage hay me and will be used Dreamweaver? Was with me how to try to use the control group 'thảo luận but was me about how are mutually nhầm format work and its tool. If you can help me with it control, me know that will very ơn. Khác has a rather than trang web that you may be options adjust diễn đàn of you are? And then it was generate an mã html for you?

phimbalance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Foot numbness when elliptical training

I train on my elliptical 45 miniutes four times a week, and I do notice the numbness in the balls of my feet after about 30 minutse. It helps to make sure your shoes aren't tied too tightly, and also resting a couple of minutes before proceeding seems to help. I haven't found a magic shoe out there that provides the optimal support, but if you try to wiggle your toes when you feel them going numb that sometimes also helps.

MeNoreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Elipitical Machine

I have the same problem. The new workout shoes have this slippery plastic shoes and it ruins my workout. There hass to be a shoe that the bottom of the shoe is not slippery and can enhance the workout and make the workout fun.