Flying Spaghetti Monster Pastafarian's Avatar
    Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cardio without using legs?

What are some examples of cardio that you can do without using your legs? I hurt my knee on Saturday and have trouble walking, let alone jogging or riding a bike.

I was thinking maybe just benching with the bar and just keep doing sets to failure, which usually get me to about 50-60 reps.

Atheism, Cures terrorism Sicshift's Avatar
    Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000)
    well, anything that gets your heart rate elevated and breathing heavy so to speak. It's not true to definition but close enough. With this set, I'd say super light weights, high rep circuit training using any strength exercises in your arsenal without using legs.

Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pastafarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sicshift View Post
    well, anything that gets your heart rate elevated and breathing heavy so to speak. It's not true to definition but close enough. With this set, I'd say super light weights, high rep circuit training using any strength exercises in your arsenal without using legs.
    I dunno why I didn't even think of light weight upper body training besides bench, thanks!

Atheism, Cures terrorism Sicshift's Avatar
    Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000) Sicshift is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
    I dunno why I didn't even think of light weight upper body training besides bench, thanks!
    I've had to train clients that couldn't use legs due to a break or arthritis etc etc. and you can get that to work quite easily.

Here's just a short list!

abs: Crunches, reverse crunches, planks, sit-ups
    Obliques: Oblique crunches, bends, side-planks
    Low back: Low back extensions, cobras
    Upper back: lat rows, pull-downs, bent over rows, tons more
    Chest: cable flys, db flys, bench, incline, decline, pushups, single arm, dips
    Arms: biceps curls, hammer curls, preacher, dips, tri extensions, kickbacks, overheads, close grip bench
    Shoulders - delt flys, military press, front raises, upright rows, rear delt flys, shrugs

THere are tons you can do. Just do them for 30 seconds to a minute and switch to another exercise with no rest. Find a tempo that keeps your heart rate above 120 or 130 but not so high that you have to quit. Do it for 10 minutes, take a few off, then another 10, then a few off.

Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cardio without using legs is Boxing

Boxing = best HIIT EVER if performed properly. Nothing more draining than IMPACT on your body.
    Team [E]xtreme

If there's nothing but survival,
    How can I believe in Sin?
    In a world that gives you nothing,
    We need something to Believe in!

KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KmuL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Super_Kaioken View Post

Boxing = best HIIT EVER if performed properly. Nothing more draining than IMPACT on your body.
    boxing is 65% legs
    owner:

modernfitnessforum.com

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Semi-rowing with your feet on the side?

misinformed

Originally Posted by kmulstay View Post
    boxing is 65% legs
    informed

Originally Posted by The_Contrarian View Post
    Semi-rowing with your feet on the side?
    That is an excellent suggestion and would definitely be probably the most orthodox form of cardio that I could do without legs. Now I just wish I had a rowing machine.

tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymachado123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    shadow puppets,
    a few hours of that will kill your arms

but umm what about swimming only using your arms

psu213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^yep, was just about to suggest swimming. The water might even help your knee recover. I would try it out using your legs and if it hurts too much just swim completely using your arms, it'll be a hell of a workout.

Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iron_Chef has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by psu213 View Post
    ^^^yep, was just about to suggest swimming. The water might even help your knee recover. I would try it out using your legs and if it hurts too much just swim completely using your arms, it'll be a hell of a workout.
    Yeah. x2

Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super_Kaioken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
    misinformed

informed

That is an excellent suggestion and would definitely be probably the most orthodox form of cardio that I could do without legs. Now I just wish I had a rowing machine.
    65% legs is when your constantly moving around the bag and getting good balance and stance.

It can be 100% upper body because all the movement and force comes from the waist, abs and arms if you just pummle the bag on the spot. and its not impossible because ive done it. thank you. misinformed my arse
    Team [E]xtreme

tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    we have a hand-bike at our gym (no idea if thats the actual name for it) but its like a bike but for your arms, that would be pretty ideal.
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Originally Posted by tse View Post
    we have a hand-bike at our gym (no idea if thats the actual name for it) but its like a bike but for your arms, that would be pretty ideal.
    that may be similar to the speed bag boxers use =D

ive seen it used on rocky 4, the blonde russian uses it while rocky uses t he speed bag. i think its because if u dont have the technique to use the speed bag you use the machine instead.. oh man

talk about going off topic
    Team [E]xtreme

matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10) matsimitso is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    that may be similar to the speed bag boxers use =D

ive seen it used on rocky 4, the blonde russian uses it while rocky uses t he speed bag. i think its because if u dont have the technique to use the speed bag you use the machine instead.. oh man

talk about going off topic
    boxing comes from ur legs bro, to throw a proper punch it should start from the floor up ur leg thru ur waist and so on

if i was to teach some1 how to box,fight,throw a punch or wateva id teach them from the feet up... sorrr but u are a little misinformed..

ull never knock som1 out throwing from ur hips
    Keep Your Eye On The Prize!, Never lose sight of what you want.

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess if you punching the air while sitting on your chair it could work...lol. Or maybe punching a boxing bag while sitting on your chair...

TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I don't recommend boxing. If you're trying to keep your legs out of it it will be really awkward.

Originally Posted by matsimitso View Post
    boxing comes from ur legs bro, to throw a proper punch it should start from the floor up ur leg thru ur waist and so on

if i was to teach some1 how to box,fight,throw a punch or wateva id teach them from the feet up... sorrr but u are a little misinformed..

ull never knock som1 out throwing from ur hips
    thanks for the tip but your clueless about the debate here.

this topic creater is looking for a cardio session , not a fight.

you can (maybe not you) perform body blows very quickly into the bag with just using your waist abs and arms. and by doing that will increase your heart rate alot if you perform it fast enough. ive done it. got sweaty. breathed heavy from many intervals of it. and lost fat. thats enough proof. bow down

obviously your not going to listen here, because you want to keep backing up YOUR post. but im afraid youl have to get use to being a loser this time.

PS. This isnt saying i dont know how to throw a punch. this is only one of many workouts i do in boxing. and your principle of using the legs is correct. im not denying that. because i do it. but not for this exercise.
    Last edited by Super_Kaioken; 04-23-2008 at 05:42 AM.
    Team [E]xtreme

DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50) DriftMonster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have to agree that you can hit a bag without using your legs. Depending on how hurt your knee is though, you may have some trouble balancing or throwing a punch.

x3 on the swimming. Depending on where you live, the weather is getting just about right for it.

Another thing to do is army crawls. You could try and do it kind of like HIIT, just try and crawl a certain distance at full speed, rest for a few seconds and go again.