kauzLaric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Punching bag - Good Cardio Workout?

I've been trying to sift through different threads on here to no avail. I couldn't find much of anything relating to punching bags.

Are punching bags a great cardio workout? I heard they are.

Also, I am moving into a really nice new apartment end of april. It's an upper level.... but my question is I am wanting to get one of those floor stand punching bags. I heard they're great for APTS because they don't shake the whole house. Actual noise inside the room is fine, I'm worried about the neighbor below. I heard they're okay for that, but would like someones personal opinion on the matter.

Thanks
    -David

SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've taken boxing classes before, and we'd have to go 3 minutes on the bag x 3, with a 1 minute break in between each round....its probably the most tiring 3 minutes i've ever experienced.

So yes its a great cardio workout. At least in my humble opinion.

Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A heavy bag is a great cardio workout! I hit the bag for 3 min then take a minute off. Work your way up to 12 rounds and you'll do 48 min (36/12) of high intensity cardio that is alot more satisfying than churning away at an eliptical.

I would think a floorstand has the potential of making noise as well. Put a solid eye bolt in one of the rafters and then suspend the bag with a heavy duty rubber grommet and you'll cut down on the vibrations. Favor a bigger/heavier bag as that will not jump around as much as your uppercuts become more proficient.

USE WRAPS! I've used tape as well, your skin will chafe off with just gloves and then become painful scabs that take a week or better to heal on your knuckles. Ease in to it -start off with just tapping the bag for the first few rounds as you loosen up. Coming out with both guns blazing will cause you to "roll" the bag. (Your wrists will know what I'm talking about the first time you do it.)

Good Luck V

SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SeanDon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    Coming out with both guns blazing will cause you to "roll" the bag. (Your wrists will know what I'm talking about the first time you do it.)

Good Luck V
    god the first time that happened to me. ..man i dont even want to talk about that.

Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Koncept has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got an H20 bag. It's sweet, if you want to transfer it just empty the water. As far as my experience of workouts is concerned.. It's great.

Those floor standing punching bags are no fun. I had to practice on one for a year. They don't swing with your punches, and you can't lean into them. If your mind is creative though, it shouldn't be a setback.

Good luck in your training.

Thanks. My problem is that I don't have any rafters to hang them from, even if I did, it's hell on the foundation. Floor Stand is my only option.

Appreciate the input though.

Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varangian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kauzLaric View Post
    Thanks. My problem is that I don't have any rafters to hang them from, even if I did, it's hell on the foundation. Floor Stand is my only option.

Appreciate the input though.
    Pardon me for being pig headed here but I suspect there are ceiling joist 16" o/c that you could hang the bag from? Use a 4' 4x4 as a "spreader" and attach it to 3 of the joists with screws. Then mount the bag with the eyebolt/grommet to the 4X4. -If you have an acoustic ceiling use spacers between the 2X4 and the joist to minimize the damage to the ceiling. The contraption won't look aestetic but. . . -If there is a will there has to be a way damnit!

Good luck

We're in an apartment. We can't drill holes or anything. The ceiling and walls are seamless. NO place to hang anything unless your drill thru the ceiling.

kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50) kendog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What do you all think of one of these? Think theyd work well in an apartment?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfmm.0

steelpen33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelpen33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Opponent Bag

anybody try out bob the Body Opponent Bag from century
    thanks rj

steelpen33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelpen33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Opponent Bag

anybody try out bob the Body Opponent Bag from century
    thanks rj

Hmm. Appreciate the link. Anyone here have any experience?

Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The problem with free standing bags...

Hands down, no argument, the best punching bags are hanging bags. Preferably as heavy as you can afford / your ceiling will support. They are great for building power and a good cardio workout.

However, as I know what living in an apartment is like, if you are looking for a freestanding bag here is some advice:

Ideally, see it in person before you buy it. You will be able to tell if it is tall enough, and give it the push test to see if it is going to be stable enough.

And look at the construction! When buying a bag, look at the base and look at how the base is attached to the bag. How much weight can you put in the base? This will in part determine how stable it is and how stationary it will remain. If it is one rigid piece from base to top, you are going to tip it over when you hit it hard. Especially if you are tall. How big is the base relative to the bag? Are you going to be kicking the base all the time as you try to get near the bag? These are all things to consider.

Freestanding bags are one place where there is a big jump in quality as price increases. There are few "good enough" bags that are cheap, a lot will break quickly and a lot will be a pain in the ass to use because they tip over or slid around. Know what you are buying and weigh out the cost versus the durability. Read reviews on MMA forums or on bodybuilding.com. You will be glad you did.

Where I have had good success is with bags that incorporate a spring into the design. Here are two examples:

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24650

http://www.superfoots.com/mtifufxwi3su.html

They are pricey, but they work.

Personally, I hate chasing bags that tip, and I hate bags that slide all over. I want a bag that sways and moves like a hanging bag, but that isn't doing so as it is going down to the ground. These bags do that.

Personally I have the MTI bag and really like it. When you hit it hard the bag bends back away from you then snaps towards you. This forces you to focus on your timing and your rhythm when you punch and forces you to really measure your combos. Also, the fact that the bag springs back at you gives you some thing to practice a little bit of defense (using the motions of the bag to keep YOU moving around the bag).

Because of the spring that joins the base and the bag, and the fact that the base is generous with the amount of sand you can put into it, it is really stable. I have thrown everything I have at this bag and it has not once tipped, or even come close. In sum, after 40 minutes, it slid maybe two inches on my carpet. So far I am a fan of it. I have seen good reviews for the ringside bag as well.

The thing to remember with this type of bag though, is that you won't get the semi-stable target that you get with a big 'ole hanging bag. You trade some power development that sort of bag gives you for what you get having to time and distance your punches. Generally though, I find this bag more challenging than just pummeling a traditional bag, though those will always be dear to my heart and have their place.

That is my two cents. Good luck
    Vincit Qui Se Vincit - He conquers who conquers himself.

"People often give up that which they want most, for that which they want in the moment."

Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Afshin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would didn't know it could be that good of a cardio workout

Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Meiguolaowai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Regarding the quality of heavy bag workouts, like with all cardio, you get out what you put into it in terms of intensity.

More than anything, it is something to break up the monotony of running, biking and using the stepper or the elliptical. I enjoy the fact that I am using a piece of equipment that involves my upper body as well as my lower body. It is a great way to manage stress as well. And it is more challenging and interesting than any other form of cardio I have done.

If you give it your all, if you power through your rounds, you will be spent during the minute breaks.
    Vincit Qui Se Vincit - He conquers who conquers himself.

"People often give up that which they want most, for that which they want in the moment."

richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) richie74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kauzLaric View Post
    Hmm. Appreciate the link. Anyone here have any experience?
    I had one. key word - had. it sucks. i filled the bottum up with sand, then tried water, neither worked well. the whole thing slid across the floor everytime i hit it. i had to follow that thing around and keep stopping to move it away from the wall. i tried it outside on concrete and dirt as well - no luck. biggest waste of money.
    Train hard, eat often, and sleep well.

Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hardy1111 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    man, I even came back to post this after this am database 'error'.

I second the floor standing bag pain in the butt comments.

If you've got a corner to stage it in I like this one:

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp...egory_rn=13518

Shown here getting smacked lightly by Bill Wallace: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TssA-bGqUU
    Dec 1 - Mar 1 Fat Loss Comp
    12-1: 224.5 | 12-9: 223 | 12-16: 222 | 12-23: 221 | 12-30: 226.5 | Month Total: +2.0
    1-6: 222.5 | 1-13: xxx | 1-20: xxx | 1-27: xxx | Month Total: xxx
    2-3: xxx | 2-10: xxx | 2-17: xxx | 2-24: xxx | Month Total: xxx
    Final Weigh-in | 3-1: xxx

238.5 9/1/11
    224.5 10/13/11