dgtheory has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reps/weight when cutting question

Hello,

I need to cut (got too fat, also on lots of prednisone). Should I switch to less weight/more reps, and if so, what percent of my normal load should I lift? Or should I just keep lifting as heavy as I can?

5'11"
    225lbs

Bench: 205lbs (2 reps)
    Squat: 280lbs (5+ reps)
    Deadlift: 325lbs (5+ reps)
    OHP: 150lbs (5 reps)

I'd appreciate your advice on this. Thanks!

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would keep lifting heavy as possible. You may lose a little strength along the way, but that is normal.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

dgtheory has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EB68 View Post
    I would keep lifting heavy as possible. You may lose a little strength along the way, but that is normal.
    Cool, thanks! I'll keep at it then!

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What grows a muscle on a bulk will spare a muscle on a cut.

GL
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I lift the same when I'm bulking or cutting. May lose a little weight while cutting but I still keep in the 6-10 rep range for most of my lifts. If I can get 10 on all 4 sets pretty easy then I move it up. If I fall below 6 then I drop it down. Very rare for me to have to drop other than the last few weeks before comp

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    What grows a muscle on a bulk will spare a muscle on a cut.

GL
    This should be in a fortune cookie

BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dgtheory View Post
    Hello,

I need to cut (got too fat, also on lots of prednisone). Should I switch to less weight/more reps, and if so, what percent of my normal load should I lift? Or should I just keep lifting as heavy as I can?

5'11"
    225lbs

Bench: 205lbs (2 reps)
    Squat: 280lbs (5+ reps)
    Deadlift: 325lbs (5+ reps)
    OHP: 150lbs (5 reps)

I'd appreciate your advice on this. Thanks!
    Can't recall if it was McDonald or who (Martin Berkhan?) who wrote some pretty extensive stuff on this- do not go to metabolic lifting versus stress/tension lifting on a cut. Period.

Without trying to sound like a mad scientist (which I am not- I just read and believe what they said) you have to keep your body believing it needs to preserve that muscle through use.

The only thing the articles said was, you MIGHT reduce either frequency (times per week) or set/rep counts, but you would keep, or in some cases, maybe even INCREASE the load. For your purposes (strength training), your sets and reps don't allow for a lot of reduction in numbers, so you might reduce frequency of workouts. Someone with far more reps/sets (BB) would maybe drop from say, 155lbs, 10 reps, 5 sets, to say 155lbs, 6 reps, 3 sets, or even, 160, 6 reps, 2 sets.

I think the key is, your "set" weight should not reduce, your reps can, your set count can, and your frequency per week can- but this is only meant to accommodate your caloric deficit. Still lift the same amount (or even a SMIDGE more) weight for less reps/sets, less often.

"Tell" your body "I need to keep this" is essentially the message you need to send...
    Nobody improves without trying. Period.

Listen to your wisdom as you gain it. Rarely are things lost forever. Change is usually always possible. Second chances sometimes reveal better results than first chances. Always look to believe that you can and will be better. You're not done until you give up.

(Bear= wife's nickname for me... Luna= my nickname for her)

N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10) N2T is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not to hijack the thread, but at what point is it a good idea to do high reps low weight. Seems almost 90% of the time or more people say push more weight..but at some point is the high rep stuff going to give you a break or allow your body to recover from the constant stress to push? Is there any benefit at all? Also, if it's a slow cut, can you still put on muscle at all, or are you going to lose it no matter what you do?

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by N2T View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but at what point is it a good idea to do high reps low weight. Seems almost 90% of the time or more people say push more weight..but at some point is the high rep stuff going to give you a break or allow your body to recover from the constant stress to push? Is there any benefit at all? Also, if it's a slow cut, can you still put on muscle at all, or are you going to lose it no matter what you do?
    all very good questions!!

the trick is to realize that when you do need a "break", so to speak, it is not necessary to do a Jack La Lanne type of workout, meaning, you should NEVER have to do VERY light weights for untold repetitions, except, as maybe a burning movement at the end of a workout.

you take a break by backing off A BIT, because as you have discovered it is NOT possible to continually add weight.

and yes, if you are doing a slow fat loss you most certainly will continue to add lean mass....

people always forget that you make progress also by persistence, and , working out regularly, regardless of how much weight you add, is a plus.
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.