manboobs and love handles nomasgordo's Avatar
    nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

StairMaster vs Eliptical for cardio?

a dude at work, who goes to the gym the same time I do, and I were having a small debate over which is a more effective form of cardio. StairMaster machine or Eliptical machine.

From experience, the stair machine is brutal, and I sweat like twice as much on them as I do on the eliptical. That alone is enough to convince me, but he hypothesized that it is far superior for fat burning, because almost every woman we see that uses the stair machines have very well defined abs and legs. I just figured thats because you have to be in pretty darn good shape to begin with to be able to take the punishment of those stairs!

Unfortunatley, the gym only has 4 stair machines compared to the 30 elliptical machines!
    Is that a weight loss plateau or is it your hidden box of cookies you break into when no one is looking?! :)
    ---

ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ScottC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I haven't seen a stairmaster in a while. None at my gym. I prefer the eliptical when I am not riding either a regular LifeCycle, recumbent bike, or my mountain bike. The eliptical make me work up quite the sweat over less time than a bike, for me. I know it doesn't help your debate, but that is my $.02.
    RIP My Beloved Son: March 2000 ~ June 2008.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    - Thomas A. Edison

"It's a lifestyle: train like there is no finish line."
    - Steve Katai

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Forget them both.......use a Stepmill.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am able to do 30 minutes on the elliptical with no problem. I have noticed that running on the road under your own power is much tougher than the elliptical.

Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50) Obadiah! will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've done both. You are correct, the stair climber is brutal. After 50 minutes of high intensity on that baby I'm soaked. I mop up around the machine and then I pour myself home. My Polar HR monitor tells me I just used 800-1,000 calories. I use this for my cardio and in addition to my leg days.

The eliptical incorporates the arms, as does the treadmill, but I have found that when I work my upper body I don't want to do so again the next day on the eliptical.
    Deuteronomy 6:5

How do you know that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a muzzle flash?

Hawaii Warrior Football! bluescorpion's Avatar
    bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I suppose it depends on many factors. For example, if your elliptical has an incline and fairly brutal resistance settings, it can be quite a workout. For some reason, the people I see on the stair machines always seem to be going very slow and hanging on it, as if they were supporting their weight with their upper body so their legs won't tire. At the same time, many people seem to get on the elliptical on a very low setting and spin like crazy. I can't imagine that either machine, in those instances, is really that helpful.

By the way, what is the purpose of getting on the elliptical and pumping rapidly at extremely low resistance for a half hour or more?

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Obadiah!
    After 50 minutes of high intensity on that baby I'm soaked.

LOFL. After 50 minutes of doing anything MEDIUM intensitry, I'm soaked
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

manboobs and love handles nomasgordo's Avatar
    nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50) nomasgordo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Chi_town
    wait a sec, i think thats what im talking about.. this thing right here:

http://www.globalfitness.com/images/...pmill_Used.jpg
    Is that a weight loss plateau or is it your hidden box of cookies you break into when no one is looking?! :)
    ---

Doing it right, I think. jspirate's Avatar
    jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Chi_town
    10-4 on that. The StepMill is insane. The pace is slow (or can be). but it is very taxing. It also makes for some nice definition in the legs. I use it about 50% of the time for my post workout cardio (20 mins).

Yeah... the one you linked Gordo

teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Elliptical is hardly challenging

X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-REPPER will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Stepmill

People after three decades of training and hating any form of cardio
    i have to give the stepmill the thumbs up you are definately going to get more out of it for the time you put into it i do 10-11 floors at 60 steps per min
    before and after each workout and it has made a huge difference
    now i know how some pros are getting their quads so ripped.!

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nomasgordo View Post
    a dude at work, who goes to the gym the same time I do, and I were having a small debate over which is a more effective form of cardio. StairMaster machine or Eliptical machine.

From experience, the stair machine is brutal, and I sweat like twice as much on them as I do on the eliptical. That alone is enough to convince me, but he hypothesized that it is far superior for fat burning, because almost every woman we see that uses the stair machines have very well defined abs and legs. I just figured thats because you have to be in pretty darn good shape to begin with to be able to take the punishment of those stairs!

Unfortunatley, the gym only has 4 stair machines compared to the 30 elliptical machines!
    first, most people do the stairmaster wrong. they lean on the rails and don't even take a full 8" step. if you want a brutal workout, try the stepmill instead. it will kick your ass, guaranteed. if you have bad knees, bad back, etc., i would recommend elliptical over either of these though.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

SPARTANusm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    first, most people do the stairmaster wrong. they lean on the rails and don't even take a full 8" step. if you want a brutal workout, try the stepmill instead. it will kick your ass, guaranteed. if you have bad knees, bad back, etc., i would recommend elliptical over either of these though.
    You want brutal? Do the stairmaster for a full hour with sweats and a hoodie. It will drive you insane.