Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    syntaxle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why is whey protein good to take immediately after waking up?

They say the best time to take whey, apart from post-workout, is immediately in the mornings, maybe with breakfast. Is this true, and is it a big benefit/the second best time to take it?

I'm a little short of cash and I want to be reasonably conservative with my protein (I don't want to take it at times where it "might" help, or will help a tiny bit, I'ed rather just eat food then), but if it's a pretty good time to take it with a good chance of anabolics, then I will

Cheers

sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You would do better with eating eggs than whey.

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whey protein as fast digesting and will help give you a nice surge in amino acids after you have been in a fasted state. This is good and all, but I think you will be better off with a high protein food in the morning if you can spare the time. I personally cannot until I get to work, so I have a shake right out of bed, and then a meal once I get to work.

deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I save the whey for right before I workout in my pre-wo meal, and right afterwards. I eat eggs, fat free cheese, lean meats and oats for protein in the morning.
    There is no spoon.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am the baddest man in the valley.

We all only have today and right now, but without death being pressed upon us we hide behind our false pretense of immortality. - Lvisaa

davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i used to take whey in the morning, but now i just take 3g of BCAAs and a probiotic drink such as kefir or yogurt. the probiotics prime my digestive system for the day ahead.
    Sponsored Muscle Pharm stack log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122828761

My personal journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120486931

-- V DUBBBBB --
    my 2.5 sqeaks louder than your 2.5, silly wabbit.

Montreal CanAdian Militia ryanr623's Avatar
    ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sockouk View Post
    You would do better with eating eggs than whey.
    O rly? Whey provides faster digesting protein and amino acids to get you out of your catabolic state that sleeping induces.

OP, whey protein immediately upon waking, breakfast shortly after.
    Blessed be the lord, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Hockey Season!

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ryanr623 View Post
    O rly? Whey provides faster digesting protein and amino acids to get you out of your catabolic state that sleeping induces.

BOOYAKA

you're so money, and you know it

OP, I'm a big fan of choco myofusion in the morning, blended w/a bananer

Replace those glycogen stores and get yourself some aminos

profit
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^This, Whey digest super fast providing yourself with lets say "instant" protien. Of course is does take time to digest, but it is very little time, and much less time than actual food. Plus the added benefits of BCAA's and other vitamins and minerals that are usually in protien and you have a nice surge of nutrients to get your body started on muscle repair.

sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) sockouk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I wouldn't really call sleep a 'catabolic state' most growth and recovery occurs when we are asleep, making it more of an 'anabolic state'

You are correct that whey is faster digesting, that also therefore means it will have digested quicker and leave you empty faster.

Eggs provide essential fats aswell as protein.

Why do the pro's have so many eggs for breakfast if whey is the optimal choice?

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

because eating a whole food meal in the morning would miss that mark and your gainz would suffer. thanks bro.

OP, if you have time to eat a whole food meal save the whey and make some bfast.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

I wouldn't really call sleep a 'catabolic state' most growth and recovery occurs when we are asleep, making it more of an 'anabolic state'

You are correct that whey is faster digesting, that also therefore means it will have digested quicker and leave you empty faster.

Eggs > Whey
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Catabolic state occurs when the body runs out of nutrients. This usualy happens at night for several reasons. First you don't eat when you sleep, second your body is under going protien synthesis which requires energy. Unless you eat RIGHT before you go to bed, it is more than likely that your body will go into a catabolic state sometime in your sleep. Now catabolism wont just use muscle tissue for energy, it will use some forms of fat etc that is stored. But the fact is that no matter what, once your body goes into the catabolic state it will no doubtly burn some muscle.

Eggs... well by now you should know that egg whites are like the purest form of protien. So why not eat eggs? Eggs are also super cheap, I know kroger usualy has them $0.98 a dozen, so thats 72g of protien for $1

Originally Posted by SouthernLord View Post
    Eggs > Whey
    Hey, I know that I said that from the start!

ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    because eating a whole food meal in the morning would miss that mark and your gainz would suffer. thanks bro.

OP, if you have time to eat a whole food meal save the whey and make some bfast.
    Miss what mark? What are you talking about? Explain how taking whey immediately upon waking would hinder gains?

Im not saying to not eat breakfast, im saying whey immediately upon waking, then make breakfast and eat it. A half hour or so later

Anyone who thinks that your body isnt in a catabolic state later in the sleep cycle/upon waking is misinformed.

Breakfast = BREAK FAST = breaking a fasting state .... hello?
    Blessed be the lord, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Hockey Season!

davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

there are critics to each side of the coin, but REM sleep is anabolic.

in addition, 7-8 hours of "SLEEP" is not enough to put the body into a catabolic state as long as you met your caloric needs for the day before. a catabolic state is defined as a stage in which the body is subjected to a prolonged stress stimuli and response. there are studies that have humans FASTING for 72-hours and not show any signs of catabolism.

My personal journal:

-- V DUBBBBB --

Originally Posted by Frozn View Post
    Catabolic state occurs when the body runs out of nutrients. This usualy happens at night for several reasons. First you don't eat when you sleep, second your body is under going protien synthesis which requires energy. Unless you eat RIGHT before you go to bed, it is more than likely that your body will go into a catabolic state sometime in your sleep. Now catabolism wont just use muscle tissue for energy, it will use some forms of fat etc that is stored. But the fact is that no matter what, once your body goes into the catabolic state it will no doubtly burn some muscle.

Eggs... well by now you should know that egg whites are like the purest form of protien. So why not eat eggs? Eggs are also super cheap, I know kroger usualy has them $0.98 a dozen, so thats 72g of protien for $1
    Protein is constantly broken down anyway regardless of the metabolic state of the body. It is the balance between synthesis and breakdown which determines growth. If you eat correctly in the day you will have ag reater balance of synthesis and therefore growth.

Protein is constantly broken down anyway regardless of the metabolic state of the body. It is the balance between synthesis and breakdown which determines growth. If you eat correctly in the day you will have ag reater balance of synthesis and therefore growth.
    truth.

My personal journal:

-- V DUBBBBB --

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey, I know that I said that from the start!
    Haha

There's nothing wrong with having a scoop of whey while you cook some eggs

I think people over complicate this stuff. Wake up and eat something. Whole food protein sources will always be superior. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I would not rely on "whey" as my only protein source for this meal.
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

Miss what mark? What are you talking about? Explain how taking whey immediately upon waking would hinder gains?

Im not saying to not eat breakfast, im saying whey immediately upon waking, then make breakfast and eat it. A half hour or so later

Anyone who thinks that your body isnt in a catabolic state later in the sleep cycle/upon waking is misinformed.

Breakfast = BREAK FAST = breaking a fasting state .... hello?
    A fasting state ranges from (12-18 hours) to 2 weeks

Originally Posted by SouthernLord View Post
    Haha

There's nothing wrong with having a scoop of whey while you cook some eggs

I think people over complicate this stuff. Wake up and eat something. Whole food protein sources will always be superior. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I would not rely on "whey" as my only protein source for this meal.
    exactly. soon, dietary supplements (and processed foods) will usurp whole, nature-intended foods. i don't even drink a whey supplement most of the time. milk is my source of whey. though, i try to give myself a few minutes to wake up before eating anything.

My personal journal:

-- V DUBBBBB --

deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I eat cottage cheese right before bed. Like on my way from the couch, I stop in the kitchen, eat, then go right to bed. I remember reading something Alan Aragon posted once saying that you can burn around 500-900 calories while sleeping however, depending on LBM.

An interesting side fact, I saw once that hibernating bears burn around 1,000,000 calories while sleeping for the season.
    Last edited by deadpool9; 12-15-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    There is no spoon.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am the baddest man in the valley.

We all only have today and right now, but without death being pressed upon us we hide behind our false pretense of immortality. - Lvisaa

Originally Posted by deadpool9 View Post
    I eat cottage cheese right before bed. Like on my way from the couch, I stop in the kitchen, eat, then go right to bed. I remember reading something Alan Aragon posted once saying that you can burn around 900 calories while sleeping however.

An interesting side fact, I saw once that hibernating bears burn around 1,000,000 calories while sleeping for the season.
    they must eat a million calories before hibernating then, i bet! Never realised they ate that much before hibernating!

Hockey Season!

they must eat a million calories before hibernating then, i bet! Never realised they ate that much before hibernating!
    what a doozy. now, sleeping for 3 months with nothing in your stomach? THAT would be "fatally" catabolic

My personal journal:

-- V DUBBBBB --

Yeah, it showed that the more agressive bears that were good at hunting actually replaced all 1,000,000 calories a few months before hibernating season, so they actually would continue to grow larger each year despite that huge "cutting phase", lol.
    There is no spoon.

Originally Posted by deadpool9 View Post
    Yeah, it showed that the more agressive bears that were good at hunting actually replaced all 1,000,000 calories a few months before hibernating season, so they actually would continue to grow larger each year despite that huge "cutting phase", lol.
    i wish i was as strong and fast as a bear.

My personal journal:

-- V DUBBBBB --

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
    there are critics to each side of the coin, but REM sleep is anabolic.

in addition, 7-8 hours of "SLEEP" is not enough to put the body into a catabolic state as long as you met your caloric needs for the day before. a catabolic state is defined as a stage in which the body is subjected to a prolonged stress stimuli and response. there are studies that have humans FASTING for 72-hours and not show any signs of catabolism.
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ace28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just eat something, don't over think this.
    "THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE GREATEST STRENGTH GAINS OVER TIME WILL MAKE THE GREATEST SIZE GAINS OVER TIME ACCORDING TO THEIR GENETIC POTENTIAL. If you're reading this and never get anywhere close to your ultimate strength levels (AT WHATEVER REP RANGE) you will never get to your utmost level of potential size." Dante Trudel

Originally Posted by KingInTheNorth View Post
    LOL, as do i

REM sleep puts you in a catabolic state. Its not just that you have had no protein/calories/nutrients over the past 8 hours. People dont get it i guess.

Dont really care though. I eat whey with breakfast.... im covered either way

Hockey Season!

Thumbs up

LOL, as do i

REM sleep puts you in a catabolic state. Its not just that you have had no protein/calories/nutrients over the past 8 hours. People dont get it i guess.

Dont really care though. I eat whey with breakfast.... im covered either way
    brb, never worrying about night time nutrition again, so long as I get my REM sleep

LOLZ

plus, the fact that "dood, a bear can hibernate for sooper long and not go catabolic" got brought into this thread is a dead giveaway for the failboat
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ~Hades~ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
    i wish i was as strong and fast as a bear.
    I wish i was genetic combination of bear, shark & eagle

flying bear shark with talons ftmfw

i would def need some whey when i awoke followed by eggs
    Royals Crew
    Chiefs Crew
    Festivus Crew