campbran04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

headaches with protein shakes

alright, this is an odd one, but I'm drinking multiple shakes a day, when I drink them I have to eat something with them or I get a headache, I've tried multiple protein supplements so far, elite gourmet protein, GNC amplified wheybolic extreme, muscle milk, ect ect, and I have to eat something with them always or I get a headache, was wondering why? Am I missing something in my diet?

patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000)
    stop drinking them.

hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    u might be getting to much protein in ur system. "o.d." from protein can also make ur tummy hurt

Originally Posted by hobie383 View Post
    u might be getting to much protein in ur system. "o.d." from protein can also make ur tummy hurt
    I coudl see this making sense, I eat something that absorbs the shake, slowing the protein absorption, makes sense.

Whey Protein User djshortsleeve's Avatar
    djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You are hungry. Drop the shakes for a meal. Use protein PWO, before bed. Dont replace meals with them.
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP Matt Cook AKA StephenHawking
    RIP C. Griswald

ASOT crew, AA/Sober crew, Misc Cigar crew

Positivity is liberty.

stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by campbran04 View Post
    alright, this is an odd one, but I'm drinking multiple shakes a day, when I drink them I have to eat something with them or I get a headache, I've tried multiple protein supplements so far, elite gourmet protein, GNC amplified wheybolic extreme, muscle milk, ect ect, and I have to eat something with them always or I get a headache, was wondering why? Am I missing something in my diet?
    Had the same problem. Use less water in your shakes. too much water causes your brain to swell which leads to dull headaches. If your urinating more than once every 2 hours - you are drinking too much water.

djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I coudl see this making sense, I eat something that absorbs the shake, slowing the protein absorption, makes sense.
    WTF. This makes no sense at all. See my other post.
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP C. Griswald

Positivity is liberty.

Originally Posted by stoliolie17 View Post
    Had the same problem. Use less water in your shakes. too much water causes your brain to swell which leads to dull headaches. If your urinating more than once every 2 hours - you are drinking too much water.
    What? When you drink water it goes through your stomach and to your bladder. It does not travel to your brain.
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP C. Griswald

Positivity is liberty.

hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hobie383 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    to me u cant really get to much water. unless u drink like 3 gal. a day lol. i would maybe try a diff. protein. it might just be what that company mixes with their protein. have u ever heard or max muscle?
    Last edited by hobie383; 10-31-2009 at 04:54 PM.

stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stoliolie17 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by djshortsleeve View Post
    What? When you drink water it goes through your stomach and to your bladder. It does not travel to your brain.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Drink...ause_headaches

or not drinking enuff water that could be also

clydesdale80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

used to have this problem

certian powders have ingredients meant to speed up absorbtion into the blood stream. if these powders are taken with something high in sugar it can cause a blood sugar spike that will cause a headache. so either lower sugar intake near when you take you shake or go with the obvious and just eat enough food to slow it down.
    I am my own personel trainer...
    I'm gonna do sit-ups til i poop myself!!!

Originally Posted by clydesdale80 View Post
    certian powders have ingredients meant to speed up absorbtion into the blood stream. if these powders are taken with something high in sugar it can cause a blood sugar spike that will cause a headache. so either lower sugar intake near when you take you shake or go with the obvious and just eat enough food to slow it down.
    very true

to me u cant really get to much water. unless u drink like 3 gal. a day lol. i would maybe try a diff. protein. it might just be what that company mixes with their protein. have u ever heard or max muscle?
    max muscle, never heard of it, I'll look into it. Thanks for all your input everyone.

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How the heck can you "o.d." on protein and in any case how would this lead to headaches??? It would indeed potentially hurt his "tummy" (seriously, tummy??), but not his head.

Originally Posted by stoliolie17 View Post
    wtf? Is this even a serious post?

kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kpettitt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This whole tread is makin my 'tummy' and head hurt.... I think the only answer worth listening to on this post is- eat more real food! dang son! too much water in your shake causing headachs... you know wikianswers are written by anyone and everyone... if you are peeing that often it just means that your kidneys are functioning normally. wow... just eat more real protein OP. wouldn't you rather have a chicken breast or something instead?

sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000) sizeNstrength is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol @ all of this...

lol

OP: Headaches are probably from one of the following:

1) You have raised your protein intake, drinking shakes and haven't raised your daily water intake = dehydration = headache.

2) You are allergic to MSG.

3) You react to artificial sweetners. Some people are slightly allergic to artificial sweetners and protein powders tend to have fair amounts of them in it. Try a flavorless protein (nasty, but if it helps...).

4) You are using protein shakes as a replacement for meals, and congruently your carb/calorie intake has been lowered = headache.
    Last edited by sizeNstrength; 10-31-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    Misc Scotch Crew.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=591771253&posted=1#post591771253
    ITT We drink like men

I could point you to webpages that say the world will end in 5 minutes. Just because its online does not mean its true. Where are the sources for this "answer?"
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP C. Griswald

Positivity is liberty.

nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Wink

I could point you to webpages that say the world will end in 5 minutes. Just because its online does not mean its true. Where are the sources for this "answer?"
    Obviously those sites are wrong every 5 minute 1 second, so not sure how far you'll get with this one.
    Mixing creatine mono in orange juice since 1999.

200 lbs surpassed after 29 years - Dec. 23, 2009

on this forum, squats cured cancer -manofhorror555

[QUOTE=shadar;404406431]How the heck can you "o.d." on protein and in any case how would this lead to headaches??? It would indeed potentially hurt his "tummy" (seriously, tummy??), but not his head.

hate to tell u but yes u can over dose on protein smart a*s

BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50) BRAVE-HEART will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    max muscle, never heard of it, I'll look into it. Thanks for all your input everyone.
    max muscle is a ****ing rip off ... cost/servings is ****. Try dymatize or sumthing.

Also stop taking protien shakes for a couple of weeks, if the headaches dont go away something else may be your problem, best see a doctor in that case
    aright cheif hows it gan ?

[QUOTE=BRAVE-HEART;405069931]max muscle is a ****ing rip off ... cost/servings is ****. Try dymatize or sumthing.

no not really everything there is pretty pure. price wise is not that bad. remember u pay for what u get...

[QUOTE=hobie383;405074691][QUOTE=BRAVE-HEART;405069931]max muscle is a ****ing rip off ... cost/servings is ****. Try dymatize or sumthing.

and everything there tastes good. the protein isnt gritty or nasty the choca. tastes lil chocolate milk evven thou u mix it with water

Montreal CanAdian Militia ryanr623's Avatar
    ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000) ryanr623 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Water is a lubricant in the brain, in fact your brain is 80% water....explain how it gets there if not from ingesting it?
    Blessed be the lord, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Hockey Season!

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)

This would explain the principle of brain freeze then, too much water intake caused the brain to swim around and then taking in cold protein shakes caused it to freeze causing the head to hurt

Sorry got to go back to the study; I am roll playing with my dinner guest tonight

Last edited by tdog69; 11-02-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Fat Man Typing

Originally Posted by tdog69 View Post

This would explain the principle of brain freeze then, too much water intake caused the brain to swim around and then taking in cold protein shakes caused it to freeze causing the head to hurt

Sorry got to go back to the study; I am roll playing with my dinner guest tonight

lol nice