Registered User misstransformer's Avatar
    misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)

Canned Salmon and Sodum Content!

Ladies, what are your thoughts on canned salmon? I normally eat fresh salmon cut into 3-4 oz portions, but canned would be more affordable. However, I'm reluctant because of the sodium content. How would I determine what is considered "high" sodium amounts? Thanks, T

http://www.chickenofthesea.com/produ...did=4800001475

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by misstransformer View Post
    Ladies, what are your thoughts on canned salmon? I normally eat fresh salmon cut into 3-4 oz portions, but canned would be more affordable. However, I'm reluctant because of the sodium content. How would I determine what is considered "high" sodium amounts? Thanks, T

http://www.chickenofthesea.com/produ...did=4800001475
    There really is nothing wrong with some sodium in your diet... lots of people get 'freaked out' by 'high sodium foods' - but unless you have medical reasons to have a very low sodium diet (eg: kidney condition, heart condition, or sodium sensitive blood pressure), then your body can usually deal with sodium easily enough.

In regards to bloating - the problem is changes in sodium content NOT a high sodium diet per say... So - if you have lots of salt in your diet, then stick with a high salt diet... If you want to follow a low salt intake, then stick with a low salt intake (and if you do have a meal high in salt know that you'll probably bloat because of it)!

There was a similar post here -->
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...m#post64868323

So - although I wouldn't go out and LOOK for extra salty food options (or chow down on salt crystals ).... If your diet is generally healthy, then you shouldn't be overly concerned about a little salt in salmon.

Anyway --> To answer your question though - What is considered a 'high serve' is very individual too. Different people have different requirements based on things like body weight (more = larger requirement), activity/ how much they sweat (sweat it out), how much you drink in terms of fluids (this flushes the sodium out of your body, so you will need more) and a few other things too.

But, if you had 0.5 cups of that salmon, you would end up with about 540mg sodium.. Which, if you base it on ~ 2400 mg / day = ~ 22.5% of the traditional 'recommended allowance'.

Lastly - if you still are concerned, you have two options:
    1. look for 'no added salt' options
    2. Rinse the salmon before you use it (open the can, drain the water, put in fresh water, drain again, and repeat a few times - you'll leach out most of the salt).

Professional Eater Dedicatedforlife's Avatar
    Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    There really is nothing wrong with some sodium in your diet... lots of people get 'freaked out' by 'high sodium foods' - but unless you have medical reasons to have a very low sodium diet (eg: kidney condition, heart condition, or sodium sensitive blood pressure), then your body can usually deal with sodium easily enough.

In regards to bloating - the problem is changes in sodium content NOT a high sodium diet per say... So - if you have lots of salt in your diet, then stick with a high salt diet... If you want to follow a low salt intake, then stick with a low salt intake (and if you do have a meal high in salt know that you'll probably bloat because of it)!

So - although I wouldn't go out and LOOK for extra salty food options (or chow down on salt crystals ).... If your diet is generally healthy, then you shouldn't be overly concerned about a little salt in salmon.

Anyway --> To answer your question though - What is considered a 'high serve' is very individual too. Different people have different requirements based on things like body weight (more = larger requirement), activity/ how much they sweat (sweat it out), how much you drink in terms of fluids (this flushes the sodium out of your body, so you will need more) and a few other things too.

But, if you had 0.5 cups of that salmon, you would end up with about 540mg sodium.. Which, if you base it on ~ 2400 mg / day = ~ 22.5% of the traditional 'recommended allowance'.

2. Rinse the salmon before you use it (open the can, drain the water, put in fresh water, drain again, and repeat a few times - you'll leach out most of the salt).

Sweet Post Emma ...Now I have nothing interesting to say

crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It isn't the sodium that scares me. It's the bones, and other misc stuff.

Professional Eater Dedicatedforlife's Avatar
    Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crissygirl View Post
    It isn't the sodium that scares me. It's the bones, and other misc stuff.
    Hahahah that's so true. I def. noticed a lot of interesting things in my can on tuna today

Registered User misstransformer's Avatar
    misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

Hey Emma, thanks for answering my question. I eliminated table salt, and my meals are pretty clean(usually fresh food). Although, occasionally when I have a craving, I'll have a dash of celtic sea salt. It's a lot healthier(taste great), without all the bloating problems of table salt. I'll check out the other thread now.

http://www.celticseasalt.com/Celtic_Sea_Salt_C3.cfm