redbmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Honey before bed... doubt it!

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...6A0F6069964809

So basically what he is sayin is 1 Tbps of honey before bed will keep your muscles from dimishing and help you sleep better.

I call BS, but need someone who knows more help me explain to this kid why it doesn't work. i dont know about you but i have never herd my doctor or a nutritionalist tell me to taking a spoon full of sugar before bed, or ever!

bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000) bseidl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honey does have a lower GI than most people think. Depends what your goals are. If mixed with some protein, it ain't that bad of a pre-bedtime meal.
    Ingredients for Growth:
    -gravity
    -food

Weight lifting is a competitive sport between you and gravity. In the end, gravity always seems to win.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    honey may cause a spike due to the amount of sugars and that its pure carbs before bed, but if mixed with some protein + fat the GI of it will definately lower,

but then again honey is pretty much straight sugar.. so it could really set you back on trying to minimize an insulin spike before bed

ok, i have been eating cottage cheese and flax seed before bed. is that better than havin a Peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat bread?

As far as goals he claims it would help cut fat and make it so you dont lose any muscle.

Originally Posted by redbmaster View Post
    ok, i have been eating cottage cheese and flax seed before bed. is that better than havin a Peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat bread?

As far as goals he claims it would help cut fat and make it so you dont lose any muscle.
    CC and Flax is fine.. healthy proteins + fat

the thing with A bunch of carbs before bed is it will mess aroudn with ur Growth Hormone before sleeping causing this to spike insulin levels before bed which may not be ideal for keeping fat off and minimizing an inuslin spike.

and you should have some sort of protein every meal there really isnt any in a Honey N PB sandwich ( even though they are delicious )

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Thank you for the info!

Anyone else have any input or did Layzie hit the nail on the head?

The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Raw Body will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know about just prior to bed, but I thought I would kick in a little bit about honey in general. Un-heated honey(those exact words must be on the jar) is like Gold to your body. Heated honey, what most honeys are, is basically candy. If the words 'un-heated' aren't on the jar, you might as well not buy it...and "raw" does not=un-heated.
    I know it sounds weird but shaving your body hair and injecting testicle shrinking substances into your butt actually makes you less of a man.

yeah, i could see its uses PWO, but not right before bed.

echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000) echelon101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honey before bed has the same effect that brocolli has on people...it kills them

After eating broccoli kills him, Homer is given a chance to get into heaven by doing a good deed.
    "The Simpsons"
    Treehouse of Horror XI
    http://tv.yahoo.com/the-simpsons/sho...i/episode/4281

I can reference too

Honey with cottage cheese tastes nice
    5% at myprotein.co.uk with MP56406

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gastelu1.htm
    FDA Approved Diet Declarations

"Funny how you can change your "genetics" when you drop the self-directed bull**** and really tighten up your diet, huh?"

Post Workout Template:

Mass Gainer
    2g/kg (1 grams per pound) of carbs
    0.5 g/kg (0.25 grams per pound) of protein.

Lose body fat,
    0.5 g/kg (about .25 grams per pound). of carbs
    0.5 g/kg (0.25 grams per pound) of protein.

Originally Posted by redbmaster View Post
    yeah, i could see its uses PWO, but not right before bed.
    heres your response on honey PWO

Abstract #2 ? Post-Workout Carbohydrates

Effects of Ingesting Protein With Various Forms of Carbohydrate Following Resistance Exercise on Substrate Availability and Markers of Catabolism. Kreider, R. et al. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2000, 14(3), 259-372

This study examined the effects of different post-workout nutritional combinations. Subjects performed a resistance training bout and immediately after consumed one of four beverages: a placebo, 40g of whey protein and 120g of sucrose, 40g of whey protein and 120g maltodextrin, or 40g whey protein and 120g of powdered honey. Blood samples were taken at 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after supplementation and analyzed for substrates, hormones, and markers of muscle damage/catabolism.

Results:

1. The honey group had the largest glucose area under the curve (i.e. the carbs from the honey drink stuck around in the blood for longer than the carbs from the other drinks).

2. There were no differences between carbohydrate groups for insulin release.

3. Testosterone and cortisol levels decreased after exercise in all groups.

4. The T:C ratio was more favorable in the honey and maltodextrin groups than in the sucrose and placebo groups.

Since all the current literature is clear on the fact that a protein plus carbohydrate beverage makes for the best post-workout option, the next step is to determine the optimal types of protein and carbohydrate. In this study it appears that honey and maltodextrin are good carbohydrate choices (when taken with protein) for a favorable hormonal profile after training. There were no differences between the honey and maltodextrin groups but they were both better than sucrose and water.

However, since the goal of optimal post-workout nutrition is to drive amino acids and carbohydrates quickly into the muscle (and, incidentally, out of the blood), maltodextrin appears superior to honey. Since maltodextrin is more rapidly cleared from the blood (GI = 105) and the honey isn?t cleared as rapidly, maltodextrin may be better at replenishing muscle glycogen, a necessary component of recovery.

Taken together, I believe that if you eat carbohydrates prior to working out, any low GI carbohydrate source like honey is a good choice but there?s probably nothing magical about honey. However, after the workout, it appears that high GI carbohydrates like dextrose, maltodextrin?or a combination of the two?might be far better carbohydrate sources in terms of peak insulin release, maximum anti-catabolic effects, favorable Testosterone to cortisol ratio, and muscle glycogen replenishment.

Why then have the results of these studies been slanted in order to say that honey is best? Well, that?s because those doing the slanting are affiliated with the National Honey Board, the organization that funded the research studies listed above. Again, honey is a good moderate GI carbohydrate source but it?s probably not much better than many others. Trouble is, during the post-workout period, it may be worse than many others.

John Berardi @ T-nation.com
    http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...etAndNutrition

Wow, thank you. thats exactly what i was looking for.

fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fkjr2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)