Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SUPAJAwS1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I want a Cannon Arm (Baseball)

I play baseball, I am a freshman in HS. My position is CF becuz I am very fast and can cover lots of ground. However I really need to strengthen my arm, and not just strrengthen it, but I want to have an absolute rifle from the outfield so runners fear it and stop in there track not daring to try for extra bases.

I was wondering which muscles and muscle groups are most important in throwing a baseball and some stuff that I can do.

Also anything for hitting would be great too, like what muscles are used mostly.

thanks

YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Honestly man, weightlifting wont help with that. Im a pitcher and centerfielder in college ball and a rifle arm is all about fundamentals. To be fast, you must run, to be strong you must lift weights, to be thin, you must do cardio, to have a cannon arm, you must throw. Throwing, throwing and throwing. It will make your arm stronger and be more accurate. Try getting one of those weighted balls, thats what we use and it's strenghtens the arm very quick. Goodluck man.

What do you mean by weighted ball? Do you kno where I can get one? Do you mean like a Medicine Ball?

Also, there has to be some part of the body I can strengthen to throw harder. You dont see weaklings that can throw real hard. Like whut muscles are used to throw...

Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by SUPAJAwS1
    What do you mean by weighted ball? Do you kno where I can get one? Do you mean like a Medicine Ball?

Also, there has to be some part of the body I can strengthen to throw harder. You dont see weaklings that can throw real hard. Like whut muscles are used to throw...
    You see weakling throwing hard all the time. Nolan Ryan wasn't a big guy, pretty much every shortstop in the pros has a good arm, and none of them are very strong. Just do long toss, build up your legs if anything, and you'll be throwing harder.
    But a true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies.

YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YellowJacket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I mean like a weighted baseball, you can get them from Eastbay or like a Sport Mart sports store. They have threads just like a baseball.

Bump the long tossing too, it'll help. You can strengthen the rear delt, the rotator cuff and possibly the traps. I wouoldnt bulk these areas up, that will hinder the flexibility thus causing restrictions for throwing.

Is this similar to what your talking about YellowJacket?

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...rt=all&banner=

Yea man, that would do the trick, throw that around at the end of practice, or if your coach is cool enough to let you throw it during. Then throw around a regualr baseball and you'll be amazed. Goodluck man

Typo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    long toss man, tons of long toss!

Also, stay after practice and have someone stand at the plate and hit you balls and just work on your form and throw them like you're in a real game, do this for a little while...

Dr.Greenthumb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Long toss with a softball and a baseball. Long toss is the only way to improve your arm strength.

Originally posted by Dr.Greenthumb
    Long toss with a softball and a baseball. Long toss is the only way to improve your arm strength.
    I wouldnt say "the only way" just throwing period and throwing a weighted ball, you can get a cable and go through a throwing motion, some work better than others....but they all have results.

Fckin Catalina Wine Mixa! Fletch's Avatar
    Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Smitty285

... Nolan Ryan wasn't a big guy, pretty much every shortstop in the pros has a good arm, and none of them are very strong......
    You have no idea wtf you are talking about except that long toss will improve your arm strength.

FYI.....Nolan Ryan was a monster in the weightroom at 6'2" 200lbs and has legs like a horse.

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!
    http://www.********.com/pages/Tampa-Teddy-Wireless/177454788957743

Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000) Smitty285 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What I meant was that you don't have be really buff to throw a ball hard. Maybe Nolan Ryan was a bad example, but what about Ichiro? He's not very big at all.
    But a true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for pussies.

Fckin Catalina Wine Mixa! Fletch's Avatar
    Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ichiro is an excellent example
    Find us on ********!
    http://www.********.com/pages/Tampa-Teddy-Wireless/177454788957743

#4Clean-up has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A good thing for armstrength and to be injury free are to do the Jobe Exercises for the rotator cuff. Do a warmup, then work out the rotator cuff. But do not go overboard on it or you will get hurt.

the Jobe exercises?

Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oafy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Long toss is a good way to strengthen your arm. Just make sure you are good and warmed up before you start to long toss. As f those weighted balls just be careful at first cause you could injure your shoulder cause you are not used to the weight of throwin it.
    Live Life to the fullest

#4Clean-up has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dr. Frank Jobe from the MLB has a ruitine for people who are recovering from surgery. Now it is very popular for all players wishing to strengthen their arms and remain injury free. You can do these with a tubing, or with 5 pound dumbells. I use both. Here is a site with directions.

http://www.webball.com/power/jobe.html

elatham06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    weighted balls have shown to tear up ligaments and muscles in the elbow....

so if you must use a weighted ball, warm up with a regular one first.

Originally posted by elatham06
    weighted balls have shown to tear up ligaments and muscles in the elbow....
    So does pitching on a regualr basis, it's all about how you use it and your form anything can tear your arm up

well yeah, but even if you use 'perfect' form (everyone has their own 'perfect form') then it would be worse if you were pitching our chunking a ball 250 feet. at least thats what my coach tells me.

For a cannon arm, just long toss every two days. strong legs are important too. be sure to ice and if your arm hurts real bad then take one or two advil to keep down the swelling in your joints.

chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: I want a Cannon Arm (Baseball)

I play baseball, I am a freshman in HS. My position is CF becuz I am very fast and can cover lots of ground. However I really need to strengthen my arm, and not just strrengthen it, but I want to have an absolute rifle from the outfield so runners fear it and stop in there track not daring to try for extra bases.

I was wondering which muscles and muscle groups are most important in throwing a baseball and some stuff that I can do.

Also anything for hitting would be great too, like what muscles are used mostly.

thanks
    yes, but you must understand that in order to make long throws you must strengthen your legs. Squats should do the trick.

chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chair has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    also, when you are hitting be sure to break your wrists after you make contact with the ball. And be sure to bend your knees slightly.

Cham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    long tossing and arm exercises...I'd be cautious of using a weighted ball...

Possy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you guys don't think lifting helps improve armstrength?

i play right field and pitch and i usually lift 5 days a week

a couple weeks ago i lifted shoulders for 2 hours right before i went to my game and i was 1 out away from throwing a no-hitter

Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    big calves help too

you guys ever taken a look at Mark Prior, the new rookie for the Cubs? he's touted as the best college pitcher ever...and he's doing pretty well in the MLB too...
    says a lot of his power and control comes from his calves... and they are friggin huge!

go to espn.com, there's several articles on the guy

oh and throwing a no-hitter isn't all arm strength, its about control

pitchers who throw 98+mph fastballs like crazy are generally closers... the ones that can pitch 93-94mph and pick any spot on the plate along with 3 or 4 other pitches and with a brain on their head are the ones that get no-hitters and lots of Ks

well except for David Wells He just got lucky...
    "Make your own luck"

Possy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i did have pretty good control.....but i couldn't get my curveball over the plate to save my life....i don't think i threw an off speed pitch for a strike the whole game....

this has always been a problem for me....some nights i can get it to work and some nights i can't

Originally posted by Cham
    long tossing and arm exercises...I'd be cautious of using a weighted ball...
    I wouldnt, I did it for 5 years throughout my high school career and it did nothing put improve my arm strenght for both pitching and outfield. Like everyone has said also, big, strong legs also play a huge role in how hard you can throw...

Like someone else said, look at Maddux, he rarely breaks 90 and he's one of the best just because he can hit a shoe box from 60 feet away.

Originally posted by chair
    also, when you are hitting be sure to break your wrists after you make contact with the ball. And be sure to bend your knees slightly.
    You sound like a little league coach or something.

What exactly do you mean by bend your knees slightly? Your back leg should be at a 90 degree angle, and your front leg should be straight.

actually, everyone bats in their own way. personally, i bend both of my knees.