Thread: Bulking up diet

darrylcwc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulking up diet

As per my other thread, I was advised to bulk up with at least 3500 calories a day. I just checked the scales and weigh 52kg.
    I decided to ditch my daily run of 7km, and any form of cardiovascular exercise to prevent calories burnt.

I decided to pen down my new diet and would like to seek ways to improve on it. How does it sound?

Morning-4 hard eggs, 100g protein powder, 4 slices wholegrain bread, 2 capsule omega-3 oil

Mid-morning-protein/energy bar (190 cal)

Lunch-one cup white rice and tons of veggie with chicken(every 2 days), 2 capsule omega-3 oil

2pm-protein/energy bar (190 cal)

4pm-protein/energy bar. 4 slices whole grain bread (190 cal)

7pm-one cup white rice, tons of veggie, 4 hard egg

9pm/10pm-1 whole raw tomato and 200g protein powder

harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50) harebearva will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How does this fit into your macro breakdown for 3500 calories a day? meaning when broken down, do the macros match what your supposed to be eating to acheive a 3500 cal per day bulk? or are you looking more for composition of diet?
    I'm just a recovering Fat Guy!

Non Gradus Anus Rodentum

"Life is tough! It's tougher if you're stupid!"

brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brendbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the calories and profiling could drastically vary depending on the brand of supplement, however I believe most here would agree that your supplement use is excessive.

Personally, I would be curious to know why you're eating a whole raw tomato late in the evening... of course your personal preference trumps my opinion, but it just seems a little odd to me is all

quick note: the timing of your meals is not worth the detail and is irrelevant to us in evaluating your diet

Edit.
    Last edited by darrylcwc; 02-23-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Edit.

Originally Posted by harebearva View Post
    How does this fit into your macro breakdown for 3500 calories a day? meaning when broken down, do the macros match what your supposed to be eating to acheive a 3500 cal per day bulk? or are you looking more for composition of diet?
    I had my requirement calories on a daily basis calculated based on my gender, general activeness, age and weight. From this equation, and if the calculator was reasonably accurate in its assessment, the extolled calorie required to maintain my present weight of 52kg amounts to (2700+) to (3000) calories, plus or minus. To your question, yes, I'm leaning more towards the composition of diet and how it fits into the equation of obtaining my goal of 3500 calories intake a day. Are they healthy enough?

Originally Posted by brendbro View Post
    the calories and profiling could drastically vary depending on the brand of supplement, however I believe most here would agree that your supplement use is excessive.

Personally, I would be curious to know why you're eating a whole raw tomato late in the evening... of course your personal preference trumps my opinion, but it just seems a little odd to me is all

quick note: the timing of your meals is not worth the detail and is irrelevant to us in evaluating your diet
    I agree the timing of the meal is irrelevant to the equation. If utility of supplement is excessive, how much should I be cutting down on?
    I did not actually went to calculate the amount of calorie provided by the 3 major meal but given that the amount of rice was huge, it entails that the provided carbohydrate would be correspondingly huge. In the grander scheme of things, I'm looking to increase my weight substantially in a span of 2-3 weeks. I had a look at the weighing scale after my bath and scale read 55kg as compared to earlier in the day, 52kg. Of course, the scale was measured after an hour of bulking so the food might not have been broken down for metabolic process.

As for the tomato, it's really a matter of disposition. I like consuming antioxidant-heavy food in the night. I'm not expecting it to be a source of carbohydrate but a nutrient injecting food.

weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) weppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by darrylcwc View Post
    I agree the timing of the meal is irrelevant to the equation. If utility of supplement is excessive, how much should I be cutting down on?
    I did not actually went to calculate the amount of calorie provided by the 3 major meal but given that the amount of rice was huge, it entails that the provided carbohydrate would be correspondingly huge. In the grander scheme of things, I'm looking to increase my weight substantially in a span of 2-3 weeks. I had a look at the weighing scale after my bath and scale read 55kg as compared to earlier in the day, 52kg. Of course, the scale was measured after an hour of bulking so the food might not have been broken down for metabolic process.

As for the tomato, it's really a matter of disposition. I like consuming antioxidant-heavy food in the night. I'm not expecting it to be a source of carbohydrate but a nutrient injecting food.
    I also take 1 tomato with my last meal of the day

However, I would add oatmeal to one of the meals that has bread, and remove the bread. Oatmeal has some good fibers and is rich in slow digesting carbs, and it actually got some protein as well.

Btw, you mean 300g of mass gainer, and not pure protein right?
    <Anxiety Crew>

Bodybuilding motivation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBZCr0EuhY

get big or get fat trying NaLLa8705's Avatar
    NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    We don't care how many meals you eat or the names of the foods you eat. Post macro breakdowns....

Also, DO NOT stop cardio completely. That is just silly considering how healthy it is for your heart.

Originally Posted by weppe View Post
    I also take 1 tomato with my last meal of the day

However, I would add oatmeal to one of the meals that has bread, and remove the bread. Oatmeal has some good fibers and is rich in slow digesting carbs, and it actually got some protein as well.

Btw, you mean 300g of mass gainer, and not pure protein right?
    Edit: Sorry I mess that. I meant 100-120g of protein.
    Last edited by darrylcwc; 02-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Originally Posted by NaLLa8705 View Post
    We don't care how many meals you eat or the names of the foods you eat. Post macro breakdowns....

Also, DO NOT stop cardio completely. That is just silly considering how healthy it is for your heart.

Calories: 4113 (to the best of my knowledge)

P: 269g -300g

C: 801g

F: 15-25g

I had a hard time tabulating the information considering how inept I performed in nutrition class in secondary school. It's not 100% accurate but it gives a rough picture.

get big or get fat trying NaLLa8705's Avatar
    NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NaLLa8705 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Calories: 4113 (to the best of my knowledge)

P: 269g

C: 801g

F: 15-25g
    May wanna re check your math... those macros ~4400, 900 more than your stated goal. The food list at quick glance is no where close to 4k cals.

Also, your fat intake is absurdly low.

May wanna re check your math... those macros ~4400, 900 more than your stated goal. The food list at quick glance is no where close to 4k cals.

The math is fine. It is mentioned that the least calorie intake I want to achieve daily is 3500. I'm not particularly concern if it overshoots by a 1000. I just had a heavy dinner about 2 hours ago and I'm feeling a slight crave for a protein bar already. Pardon my lack of knowledge in this field, but why is low fat a concern?

Edit: I see what you mean. Perhaps I should do a proper calculation when time permits.

I had the Macro revised. This is how it looks like and ought to be correct.

The theoretical macro-breakdown on the requirement of 3500 calories per day should look like this:

C: 60% (525g of carbohydrate for 2100 calorie)
    P: 25-30% (218g of protein for 875 calorie)
    F:10-15% (58g of fats for 525 calorie)

How does this look? I'll be trying to modify slightly my diet to account for the aforementioned macro-breakdown. Curiously, what are the implication if fats intake were decreased further to 5-10% and protein intake increased correspondingly?

cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cgattshall has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    9pm/10pm-1 whole raw tomato and 200g protein powder
    :O holy protein powder, batman! That's what, 5-6 scoops??

Originally Posted by cgattshall View Post
    :O holy protein powder, batman! That's what, 5-6 scoops??
    Around that range! It tastes great with the cocoa flavour! I'm thinking of reducing it to 110g, with the other 100g obtained from food sources.