AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much should I be squatting?

I'm 22 and weigh 155lbs. Consider myself a beginner... but when I was 19 I weight lifted for a year and stopped. Now that I've started again, I've been at it for 3 months almost.

For a set of 12, how much should I be expected to squat? What is poor, average, good and excellent for my weight (set of 12)?

BRB, Bulking Forever. ricohitman's Avatar
    ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
    I'm 22 and weigh 155lbs. Consider myself a beginner... but when I was 19 I weight lifted for a year and stopped. Now that I've started again, I've been at it for 3 months almost.

For a set of 12, how much should I be expected to squat? What is poor, average, good and excellent for my weight (set of 12)?
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._standards&cr=

Scroll down to the bottom for a chart. This is a ROUGH guideline of where you CAN be. Not where you SHOULD be.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Goals for 2014:
    Deadlift: 505x1
    Squat: 405x1
    Bench: 275x1
    Military Press: 175x1
    Live and die in the squat rack.

Ein klinge nie gebrochen Jerevin's Avatar
    Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jerevin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    -I am not in it to look strong. I am in it to be stronger than I look.

AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks but neither of your two websites talk about sets of 10-12 though...

O-Diesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

There is no good estimate for how much you should be squating....there is more factors then age, height and weight. Squat is based on a combination of muscles. Exm. Quads, hamstrings, abductors, lower back, exc. But the main factor in your squat is how strong your core is. Someone your size with a stronger core will probablly squat more as well as a weak core will not support much weight. Also flexibility and range of motion is a variable for squat ability. So I would not be overally concerned on amount...more concentration on getting your depth and getting stronger..dont compare yourself to others.
    BB Bench-350 Squat without wraps-445

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

When I get the ball, I inflict my will.

Victory won?t come find you. You must seize it.

The season is never over.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Then you can use a one rep max calculator. Anyway, 12 reps is very high if you want to develop strength. Better to work with something lower like 5 reps per set if you want to develop strength.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricohitman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wow, really? You're going to be that anal? Ok....

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm
    Goals for 2014:

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Here's a picture from that article

PLEASE don't bench like that, it's a shoulder injury just ready to happen.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Originally Posted by O-Diesel View Post
    There is no good estimate for how much you should be squating....there is more factors then age, height and weight. Squat is based on a combination of muscles. Exm. Quads, hamstrings, abductors, lower back, exc. But the main factor in your squat is how strong your core is. Someone your size with a stronger core will probablly squat more as well as a weak core will not support much weight. Also flexibility and range of motion is a variable for squat ability. So I would not be overally concerned on amount...more concentration on getting your depth and getting stronger..dont compare yourself to others.
    Not trying to compare to others... but I workout at home and don't have a spotter when I squat. This goes without saying, I don't squat to failure... so I never really tried to test myself to the limit. I was just wondering if I was going heavy enough. I just finished my sets at 170lbs (4 x 12) without any difficulty really...

Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
    Wow, really? You're going to be that anal? Ok....
    Hahaha thanks, calculator says I my max squat is 245lbs... is that bad, average, good, excellent...? (3 months training, 22 of age, 5'5'', 155lbs)

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post

x2. Wasn't referencing that article for the pictures, but that kid looks like he's going to pop a rotator cuff any second.
    Goals for 2014:

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hahaha thanks, calculator says I my max squat is 245lbs... is that bad, average, good, excellent...? (3 months training, 22 of age, 5'5'', 155lbs)
    Just know that calculators like that make assumptions that aren't true for everybody.

As for if it's bad or not, how do you feel about it?

Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
    x2. Wasn't referencing that article for the pictures, but that kid looks like he's going to pop a rotator cuff any second.
    Never hurt my shoulder benching and was showed how to bench by a personal trainer... so I guess I've got it alright... I can tell his position ain't perfect, bu what exactly is he doing wrong so I make sure I don't go there.

Just know that calculators like that make assumptions that aren't true for everybody.

As for if it's bad or not, how do you feel about it?
    I'm guessing it's alright considering I only have 3 months of training and haven't been squatting a lot... but I'm also guessing that I can improve a lot.

Thanks for your help all of you

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Never hurt my shoulder benching and was showed how to bench by a personal trainer... so I guess I've got it alright... I can tell his position ain't perfect, bu what exactly is he doing wrong so I make sure I don't go there.
    His upper arm angle in relation to his torso is 90 degrees.

Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    Then you can use a one rep max calculator. Anyway, 12 reps is very high if you want to develop strength. Better to work with something lower like 5 reps per set if you want to develop strength.
    Looking for leg resistance, I also do a lot of 6 x MAX one leg squats with 25 second rest... fun as hell :P

Originally Posted by Inertiatic View Post
    His upper arm angle in relation to his torso is 90 degrees.
    Ok, that's waht I thought, thanks.

Never hurt my shoulder benching and was showed how to bench by a personal trainer... so I guess I've got it alright...
    Just know that most personal trainers know next to nothing about how to bench. Maybe you do "got it alright" but don't assume that just because a personal trainer showed you. To start, the guy in the pic has his elbows flared ( to an extreme IMHO ).

Chupacabra Supreme! Big_Carphuna's Avatar
    Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big_Carphuna is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I should think a squat of 1,255lbs should be considered above average for your size...

jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpbroschat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The amount you Squat also depends on what exactly constitutes a squat in your opinion. I tend to abide by the "ass-to-grass" method, using lighter weights. It's a much too common occurrence to see people tossing 315 on the bar, but only going down 45 degrees, or less in many instances. Don't be so concerned about the weight your doing...just experiment (light weights first, obviously) until you find something that works.

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

No wonder everyone at my gym is always fiddling with their shoulder.
    Toronto is Bake crew
    Raptors-Jays-Leafs-Bills. Best 2/10 sport teams crew.
    Herniated Dick crew
    Mike Tyson admirer crew
    Homeboy Leroy crew